Expat Community

RobertyBob

Hi guys,

My 30 yr old single daughter is considering a job offer in Chiang Mai. Along with the job will come an attractive package, including accommodation etc. She has been to Thailand previously and loves it.

My concern is that there may not be much of a social life for her. To this end, could you please advise what sort of expat community in the 25-35yr old bracket reside in Chiang Mai.

Any info much appreciated.

Welcome to the forum Robert & congrats to your daughter - employment for non-Thais here is pretty limited so she has been lucky to score a job with an "attractive package".

Being a bit of a cynic, it wouldn't hurt to google + yahoo the name of the employing organisation - as well as searching this web site - just to make sure there are no black marks against the company involved.

How your daughter copes will depend a lot on her personality, so I can't speculate on how she will go. Obviously living and working here is different to holidaying here. She should check out the women's forum within Thaivisa for female specific concerns/issues. For general entertainment and what's on info then she should study the chiang mai forum as I assume you have already done. Also take a look at the web site for the local magazine "CityLife".

Obviously there is no shortage of Thais to meet and get to know, but in terms of westerners (in that age group) you are looking at mainly tourists and teachers. There are a goodly number of both in a city the size of Chiang Mai - depending to some extent on the season.

I don't mean to be crass, but I don't know why someone would want to come to work in Chiang Mai in order to socialize with other expat Westerners?

I understand it for the retired folks who are here because their motivation arises primarily from Chiang Mai being beautiful and cheap. But for a twenty-something I would think the experience is in coming and learning the local language, culture and customs; in short, building a social life around local (Thai) friends.

That said, your daughter will want to know that there is good western-style health care here, plenty of Western food for when she gets homesick for Burger King or Burritos, and oodles of shopping and entertainment venues that cater to Westerners.

Load of 30 somethings here, from all 'farang' countries.

Lots at the universities.

Thai guys find western women fascinating, so i expect her to be making friends fast.

Pai is the place for 30 something expats in my opinion, just a few hours away, but they all smell of patchouli oil.

> My concern is that there may not be much of a social life for her. To this end, could

> you please advise what sort of expat community in the 25-35yr old bracket reside in Chiang Mai.

In that range you're looking at NGO workers (plenty), teachers (plenty) plus researchers, students, etc.

And then there's a few more types, like those working for respectable companies, like me. Though I just fall out of the age group. :o

Typically people in Chiang Mai become less ageist quickly, as they find that they may share more interests with people they'd normally not socialize with, be it younger or older.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Hi Robertybob,

I do not think you or your daughter need to worry too much. There's plenty to do. And as your daughter will be working she is not overloaded in free time.

Specifically for women there's the Ladies lunch Bunch, the Ladies Expat Lunch Group, both held once a month. Then there's another ladies get-together held so once in a while, usually announced on this forum.

She can join the Chiang Mai dining club or other clubs, see: http://www.chiangmaiexpatsclub.com/groups.asp or the Chiang Mai Friends Group, which is a group consisting of both Thais and foreigners.

She may want to join a dancing (salsa, belly dance, ball room dance) club, go to the gym, or join a yoga or Thai chi group.

Every Friday there is a group of teachers getting together at Tuskers, which is a good place to get to know people from all ages anyway. They also give welcome dinners to new comers. You can read about it on their website, or you can email them. The owners, Rachel and Chas are lovely and can tell your daughter a lot more of what's going on in CM.

Anyway, there are lots of opportunities for your daughter to socialize with both foreign and Thai people.

Nienke

edit/ P.S. If your daughter is interested, she's welcome to contact me and join us for dinner. We consist of a group of 4 to 6 women, age range 30-something to 35++++etc.

Edited by Nienke

Hi RobertyBob,

I'm your daughter's age and have a great social life here in Chiang Mai. I'm not single, but have lots of friends my age both male/female...Thai/Western as well as many more friends across all age groups :o

Its a great place to live and lots going on for everyone!!

I'm sure your daughter will be very happy, but if there's anything she needs/wants to know she can contact me at any time.

Rachel

agree with the other 30somethings in this thread, chiang mai's one of the easiest places to meet people i've ever been. NGO workers, teachers, idle layabouts like myself. . . .there's always people knocking about and they're always welcoming to newcomers. tuskers as mentioned being a fine starting point.