Myths And Misconceptions Regarding 90 Day Reporting

Mobi

There have been many reports on Thai Visa regarding the rules for 90 day reporting, and in particular there are ever increasing claims that:

• You should report to your local immigration office as soon as you arrive back in the country from abroad and start your 90 day notification, and be issued with a slip.
  • Once having received your 90 day notification (the slip in the passport with the next reporting date), that you should go back and report on or before that date, even though you may have made a trip out of the country in the meantime.

Both the above assertions are completely incorrect.

I last reported to Immigration in July, and my next reporting date was in September. However I went on a trip in August, which negated the need to report in September as my 90 days commenced from the day I re-entered Thailand – i.e. August. Furthermore there was no need to report back to immigration as soon as I arrived.

Today, the 12th November, exactly 90 days after I arrived back in August I went to Pattaya immigration to report. The female officer was very friendly, looked at my arrival stamp in August and told me everything was in order, and stamped my slip for 90 days hence. She even told me I could have reported up to 7 days after the expiry of 90 days with no penalty, but on the 8th day there would be a 2,000 Baht fine.

So I respectively suggest that all those who insist on reporting when they arrive in the country, and those who report every 90 days, regardless of trips abroad, are wasting their time.

But of course, no one at immigration will tell you that.

It's too logic to be true: Since you're reporting yourself when entering Thailand (arrival card), why report again within 24 hours after the actual arrival at 'home'?

I recall a thread last year from some Hua Hin expats who were forced to report to the Immigration at Hua Hin after coming back from a trip abroad. I didn't hear from this for a long time.

Basically, it's best to avoid any misunderstandings and remove the TM47-slip from your passport, after the TM6 (departure card) has been removed from your passport by Immigration at the border.

Do you still have to bring a copy of a utility bill to prove your address ?

Yes you do. They made it quite clear back in July when I reported that next time, proof of address would be required and they issued a small notification slip to that effect - so there is no doubt that this is a requirement at Pattaya immigration.

I took along my yellow book and a few utility bills to show them. The officer told me that next time just bring a copy of my yellow book, and she also said that the utility bill with my name and address on it was fine. A friend told me that he just showed his Thai driving licence.

So I respectively suggest that all those who insist on reporting when they arrive in the country, and those who report every 90 days, regardless of trips abroad, are wasting their time.

respectfully...

Bloody spell checks :o

Another myth is that a visa renewal/extension renews the 90 day clock; It does not - even though you are clearly reporting your address on such application.

Yes, very good point.

Many people think that a visit to immigration, especially when a visa is renewed/extended is sufficient for the 90 day reporting process.

But it is not and the 90 day reporting is an entirely separate matter.

I know of people who have been visiting immigration regularly to process/extend visas, and still have been fined for failing to do their 90 day reporting.

Pattaya Immigration insist on seeing an official document showing the same your address as the one entered on the 90-day reporting form. I have shown a telephone bill and then, one month ago, my Thai driving licence.

My brand new (last month) 5 year driving licence does not have my address on it. My address is reported very 90 days (if I don't leave the country) to the One-Stop-Center for me. To my knowledge, no proof of address is shown, at least I have never been asked to give our HR person something.

TH

The 90 day clock only starts ticking in two cases that I'm aware of.

1) You just came back in the country - your 90 day reporting starts from that day

2) You just reported for your 90 day check in

Visa extension/renewal for sure does not restart the clock. Case in point - I just got my one year renewal here in Pattaya for my "non-O" this past Monday - but the immigration officer putting the one year stamp in my passport made a point of telling me to report back on the date stamped on the paper they staple in the back of your passport (Jan 11) - which is three months from my last 90 day check in.

Also, at Pattaya immigration when I last checked in for my 90 day they handed me a slip of paper printed in English that said to bring a utility bill or similar next time with my name and address on it. (drivers license would work too, I'm pretty sure). There was also a sign on the desk of the woman doing the 90 day reporting with the same statement on it.

Hope that's helpful. . .

The 90 day clock only starts ticking in two cases that I'm aware of.

1) You just came back in the country - your 90 day reporting starts from that day

2) You just reported for your 90 day check in

Visa extension/renewal for sure does not restart the clock. Case in point - I just got my one year renewal here in Pattaya for my "non-O" this past Monday - but the immigration officer putting the one year stamp in my passport made a point of telling me to report back on the date stamped on the paper they staple in the back of your passport (Jan 11) - which is three months from my last 90 day check in.

Also, at Pattaya immigration when I last checked in for my 90 day they handed me a slip of paper printed in English that said to bring a utility bill or similar next time with my name and address on it. (drivers license would work too, I'm pretty sure). There was also a sign on the desk of the woman doing the 90 day reporting with the same statement on it.

Hope that's helpful. . .

Um...er.... :o

I thought that's exactly what I have been saying in my previous posts.....

..But thanks anyway :D

Yes you do. They made it quite clear back in July when I reported that next time, proof of address would be required and they issued a small notification slip to that effect - so there is no doubt that this is a requirement at Pattaya immigration.

I took along my yellow book and a few utility bills to show them. The officer told me that next time just bring a copy of my yellow book, and she also said that the utility bill with my name and address on it was fine. A friend told me that he just showed his Thai driving licence.

If you have a Thai ID number, quote that number on the TM47

Proof!

There is no address on my Thai drivers license. Does that matter? It is a newly issued license with holograms, personal photo, and all the modern trimmings.

Since I live in both Jomtien and Bangkok and visit both immigration centres, it is good not to have the address on it as it would just be confusing (to them AND to me!).

Usually I just mail the 90 day form to Suan Plu in Bangkok. Once I sent my maid down with it, no problem.

If you have a Thai ID number, quote that number on the TM47

Proof!

This is only a rule in Pattaya. I use o live in Pattaya but since moved to korat and they never ask for proof of residence for a 90 day report. They do not even charge for the residence letter like Pattaya does.

Barry

Visa extension/renewal for sure does not restart the clock.

That's generally true.

However, the first (and only the first) extension does in fact also reset the reporting clock.

Sophon

That is complete nonsense and the reason, and will confuse people and is the reason that I started this thread.

The only thing that triggers the 90 day reporting is the date you arrive in the country and the date that you last made your 90 day report.

Visa extensions/renewals are completely irrelevant.

If you reported back 90 days after your first visa extension that is your business, and the officer won't say anything to the contrary. If this happened some time ago, the fines were rarely enforced as they are these days.

Everything I have written here applies to Pattaya immigration, which is why I have posted in the Pattaya forum. I cannot speak for other immigration offices which often have their own rules.

What is a One-Stop-Center? Is that in Pattaya?

I too am curious about this One-Stop Centre. Never heard of it before.

There is no address on my Thai drivers license. Does that matter?

That sounds very strange? Are you sure it is not there, written in Thai?

Yes, just checked again and there is no address nor is there anything that resembles an address in Thai. I obtained the license in Bangkok, not Pattaya, but I don't see why this should make a difference. It is my first-year "temporary" license, maybe that's it?

Absolutely sure, just checked again. I obtained the license about six months ago at the Bangkok office; it is also the first go-'round one year license, maybe that makes a difference?

That's generally true.

However, the first (and only the first) extension does in fact also reset the reporting clock.

Sophon

That is complete nonsense and the reason, and will confuse people and is the reason that I started this thread.

I believe what I stated was correct and it has been stated by lopburi3 numerous times. I for one am willing to take his word for it.

This is an extract from one of lopburi3's mails:

Correct - the first application for an extension of stay is considered the first 90 day address report.
Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days->print this

Procedure and notification

The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

The notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

However, I will allow that it's quite possible that Pattaya doesn't follow the general rules and may not consider the first one year extension as a 90 day report.

Sophon

That's generally true.

Sophon

The only thing that triggers the 90 day reporting is the date you arrive in the country and the date that you last made your 90 day report.

Visa extensions/renewals are completely irrelevant.

If you reported back 90 days after your first visa extension that is your business, and the officer won't say anything to the contrary. If this happened some time ago, the fines were rarely enforced as they are these days.

Everything I have written here applies to Pattaya immigration, which is why I have posted in the Pattaya forum. I cannot speak for other immigration offices which often have their own rules.

Mobi is exactly right about all this. I once almost had to pay the fine in Pattaya because I hadn't done my 90-day--I had figured it got reset when I got an extension (they get your current address then), but I was wrong.

Ridiculous, but there you are.

Pattaya Immigration insist on seeing an official document showing the same your address as the one entered on the 90-day reporting form. I have shown a telephone bill and then, one month ago, my Thai driving licence.

My brand new (last month) 5 year driving licence does not have my address on it. My address is reported very 90 days (if I don't leave the country) to the One-Stop-Center for me. To my knowledge, no proof of address is shown, at least I have never been asked to give our HR person something.

TH

To facilitate the process of bringing in foreign experts, either to conduct feasibility studies or who are skilled experts or technicians, the BOI has created a unit to expedite the paperwork involved. The Foreign Expert Services Unit works with companies and experts to certify the expertise of the foreign experts and technicians, and advises applicants about documents required by the One-Stop Service Center for Visas and Work Permits. The Foreign Expert Services Unit is located at Rasa Tower 2, 16th Floor, 555 Phaholyothin Road, Chatuchak, Bangkok 10900. The telephone number is (662) 937-1155 ext. 110-122. Click here for procedure

That's generally true.

Sophon

I believe what I stated was correct and it has been stated by lopburi3 numerous times. I for one am willing to take his word for it.

This is an extract from one of lopburi3's mails:

Correct - the first application for an extension of stay is considered the first 90 day address report.
Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days->print this

Procedure and notification

The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

The notification must be made within 7 days before or after the period of 90 days expires.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

However, I will allow that it's quite possible that Pattaya doesn't follow the general rules and may not consider the first one year extension as a 90 day report.

Sophon

Well Sophon, if Lop3 said that, then it must have some substance, and I apologise for my comments.

But I am talking about Pattaya immigration and I am not too sure that LOP's interpretation of the rules applies here. To be on the safe side, it is better to do your 90 day report as outlined in my previous posts and you won't go wrong.

when i got back from a trip to hong kong a month ago and went through the immigration line, the lady stamped the date in my passport that my retirement visa was up, july 6th, but didnt stamp anything on the card in my passport which showed my 90 day reporting due last week. I asked for the 90 days and she said it was ok. complain, yeah right.

to be safe than sorry i went to immigration without filling out the form, showed the lady where i entered a few weeks before but showed my attached card read the 90 days was due now. she didnt say anything but she nicely handed me the 90 day reporting form to fill out, which I did, she put a new card in the passport and said come back in January for my next 90 day and bring proof of my address. not sure what happened but i guess the airport didn't stamp something right.

at least i know i am ok now but still dont know what happened

when i got back from a trip to hong kong a month ago and went through the immigration line, the lady stamped the date in my passport that my retirement visa was up, july 6th, but didnt stamp anything on the card in my passport which showed my 90 day reporting due last week. I asked for the 90 days and she said it was ok. complain, yeah right.

to be safe than sorry i went to immigration without filling out the form, showed the lady where i entered a few weeks before but showed my attached card read the 90 days was due now. she didnt say anything but she nicely handed me the 90 day reporting form to fill out, which I did, she put a new card in the passport and said come back in January for my next 90 day and bring proof of my address. not sure what happened but i guess the airport didn't stamp something right.

at least i know i am ok now but still dont know what happened

Jimmy, when you enter Thailand the immigration will stamp you up according to your visa status, which for you was July 16th.

They will not in any way be involved in issuing you with any kind of document which says that you must report in 90 days time.

It is up to you to be aware of the 90 day reporting rule, and after you have been in Thailand for 90 days,. you must fill in the form and report to immigration. They will then put a slip in your passport to advise when your next 90 days is up and you must report again.

But you will not receive any notification of this when you first enter the country; the date on your arrival stamp starts the 90 day process.