Help I Dont Know Whether To Change My Pounds Up As Soon As I Get There

Hi,im going to Thailand tomorrow and i have watched the pound fall day by day against the baht,im stopping in Thailand for for at least 5 mths and ive brought sterling enough for my trip,The thing is do i cash my money in as soon as i can or do i play the waiting game,can anyone give me some advice please....thanks

Hi,im going to Thailand tomorrow and i have watched the pound fall day by day against the baht,im stopping in Thailand for for at least 5 mths and ive brought sterling enough for my trip,The thing is do i cash my money in as soon as i can or do i play the waiting game,can anyone give me some advice please....thanks

Just my opinion, but I think were heading back to 37-38 Baht/GBP as it was 12 years ago. In any case, things are unlikely to improve until the stock markets recover, which will be sometime around.........

geoffphuket

Thats a good question. After today it seems maybe most of the bad news is priced in for Sterling but who knows. There is talk that BOT will be cutting rates 3rd December which may help, also some are predicting a fall in the Dollar but a case of next year maybe. Why don't you change 50%.

Just my opinion, but I think were heading back to 37-38 Baht/GBP as it was 12 years ago. In any case, things are unlikely to improve until the stock markets recover, which will be sometime around.........

geoffphuket

Oh come on so the pound parity with the Dollar?

geoffphuket

Well it was for over 20 years. As I said 37-38 Baht to the pound

I should add, that if I remember correctly, the US$ was around 25 Baht

Edited by geoffphuket

geoffphuket

The Dollar has been parity with the Pound for over 20 years, when please? You have that wrong.

Anyway the point i'm making is for it to fall to them levels you will need to see the the Dollar and Pound parity because the Dollar was 25b at the time, which is highly unlikely and if it did for 1 minute surely BOT would have to weaken the Baht for the sake of exports.

Edited by neil324

geoffphuket

The Dollar has been parity with the Pound for over 20 years, when please? You have that wrong.

Anyway the point i'm making is for it to fall to them levels you will need to see the the Dollar and Pound parity because the Dollar was 25b at the time, which is highly unlikely and if it did for 1 minute surely BOT would have to weaken the Baht for the sake of exports.

So what should i do as im at a loss as to what to do....im all ears

Edited by besty

geoffphuket

So what should i do as im at a loss as to what to do....im all ears

Who knows, best bet is to change 50% then you are hedging agaisnt what happens right. You win both ways. Although the pound has fallen again since this thread was started :o

geoffphuket

Worse exchange rate I ever got was 33 Bt for a £pound (about 15-20 years ) but at least at the time a beer was only about 20 bt and a tuk tuk ..sip bt from Soi C to the honey...'quell horrour'... :o

Made up for it again when on one nice afternoon (still in the Honey Korfee shop bar) we almost rushed out when the Rate hit 97 to the pound.

One little guy with us ..retired teacher ...reconned he got 100 /£ when he changed £5000 in TCs..but will never know for sure....he dissappeared to Patti... :D

All swings and roundabouts but when it comes round again...thats the secret......good luck..chok dee.. :D

geoffphuket

Worse exchange rate I ever got was 33 Bt for a £pound (about 15-20 years ) but at least at the time a beer was only about 20 bt and a tuk tuk ..sip bt from Soi C to the honey...'quell horrour'... :o

Made up for it again when on one nice afternoon (still in the Honey Korfee shop bar) we almost rushed out when the Rate hit 97 to the pound.

One little guy with us ..retired teacher ...reconned he got 100 /£ when he changed £5000 in TCs..but will never know for sure....he dissappeared to Patti... :D

All swings and roundabouts but when it comes round again...thats the secret......good luck..chok dee.. :D

I'm in a similar position, although I am currently trying to decide whether or not to go back to Bangkok in January. I could just about cope with 50 baht/GBP, but couldn't possibly do it if it falls any lower.

I'm sort of hoping the pound continues to fall until the end of the year, then makes a bit of a comeback. That's number one on santa's wish list at any rate.

I don't mean or wish to be disrespectful to anyone here but does nobody read the newspapers any more? The Pound has been falling against the US Dollar since September and has now lost a quarter of its value. As the Pound falls against the Dollar, so it falls against the Baht against which it has lost almost a third of its value. The forecast in every press report is that Sterling is going to fall further and whilst the idea of parity with the Dollar may be a bit of stretch, it's not completely unimaginable. The short term picture therefore is that the Pound/Baht will continue to fall. In the medium term there is a risk that the US Dollar will bounce back and that Thailand's economy will falter and the BOT will allow the Baht to depreciate a little.