Buying A Boat In Thailand

sorensen

I am looking to buy a second hand boat in Thailand, somewhere in the range of $80-120,000.

Can anybody advise where is a good place to start looking, Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya?

Any good internet sites for used boats in Thailand?

Any traps or hidden cost to look out for? Registration in Thailand?

Regards,

Robert

I am looking to buy a second hand boat in Thailand, somewhere in the range of $80-120,000.

Can anybody advise where is a good place to start looking, Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya?

Regards,

Robert

Jimmys Lighthouse on Chalong Bay have good notice board. The regulars will also be able to advise you as to the costs of registration etc.

Edited by jitagon

What sort of boat you after? Sail or power?

Do you live here and intend to stay here? The reason i ask is its important to know because of how to register the boat.

Here's how i understand the situation. Phuket is NOT the best place to buy a good value boat. Why? There just isnt the selection here. There are maybe 3 or 400 boats in the whole of Phuket, the selection is lower so the prices are higher.

If you want better value, you might be better off looking in Australia, New Zealand or the middle east.

However then you're gonna have registration problems. If it's not a Thai registered boat then the boat will have to do a visa run to langkawi or somewhere, which can get to be a pain in the butt.

Pattaya will probably have a greater selection of boats than phuket.

In both pattaya and phuket you can have boats built in a thai yard for you, and it will be thai registered.

You could get a brand new catamaran built here in Phuket for 100k US i think.

Try Latitude 8 yacths in Chalong. They build the very fast Firefly 28 foot catamaran.

If i was buying a boat, i'd have a good look in Europe around the med. There are thousands and thousands of boats and the exchange rate is good. Sailing it back from Europe would be fun too, if you have the time.

There are a couple of brokers in phuket. Try lee marine and simpson marine.

Have a look at yacht haven and boat lagoon for boats.

Jimmys lighthouse notice board has two or three boats up for sale.

Hope this helps

There are quite a large number of second hand boats for sale in Phuket, far more than Pattaya. The prices and quality are various, however, you have only let us know your budget but not what type and size you require. For that amount of money you could quite easily buy a new boat either power or sail, built by a recognised company, (which I would recommend as you get to use the boat when it is at its best and still has a warranty) and the price would probably include Thai registration. If you want headaches then go down the road of having a boat built here. I can assure you it is not worth the trouble unless you are an avid racer, and even then its doubtful if the pain is worth it.

If you would like to know more about what's available, then PM me.

Thanks for all the good info and advice.

I am looking for a power boat, big enough so it is fun to cruise around the islands and live aboard.

I have looked at the Ladenstein listed at Leemarine and that might fit the bill.

Do you guys have any comments or recommendations about this boat?

I am currently living in Bangkok, but plan to spend more time at the coast.

Regards,

Robert

Try to make it to the Pimex boat show Dec 4-7. You will get great info not only boats but also dockage and cruising info. Phuket likes to refer to itself as a boating haven but in truth there is a shortage of decent Marina facilities. I have had boats at both Boat Lagoon and Royal Phuket Marina and I was not impressed, no access at low tide, spartan dockside facilities. There is a new marina going in at Ao Po in the northwest part of the island that I have not seen yet. The only other place is yacht haven and I have no experience with this marina either.

P

Edited by pgrin

Try to make it to the Pimex boat show Dec 4-7. You will get great info not only boats but also dockage and cruising info. Phuket likes to refer to itself as a boating haven but in truth there is a shortage of decent Marina facilities. I have had boats at both Boat Lagoon and Royal Phuket Marina and I was not impressed, no access at low tide, spartan dockside facilities. There is a new marina going in at Ao Po in the northwest part of the island that I have not seen yet. The only other place is yacht haven and I have no experience with this marina either.

P

We've just got a berth at Ao Po. It's actually on the North-East side and has 24 hour access to the sea, no tidal restrictions. A slipway has just been built. A lot of building going on there still and it's not too well signposted yet. Quite a few berths taken already though.

Regards,

Robert

Hi/Hej Robert!

I got a 2005 Australian made Mustang 30' Sport Cruiser for sale here in Phuket.

Fully insured with all thai taxes and reg fees paid.

Please let me know when you want to see her and go for a spinn..

[email protected]

//Regards

Fredrik Rock City Phuket