In Search For New Governments Headquarters

george

Government is searching for new location for Government's headquarters

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government is searching for a new location for the Government’s headquarters, as anti-government protesters have shown no sign of ending their seizure of Government House, according to Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Somchai said the protesters had seized Government House for far too long now.

He had no intention to prevent anyone from protesting but for security reasons, it would be wise to have a new Government headquarters. He added once the protesters dispersed from the current Government House, it would take a long time to renovate the place.

The premier had not decided on a location for his new headquarters, but it should be located in Bangkok. He said the current Government House could be used as a museum to feature the chronicles of the Thai government since 1932.

The People’s Alliance for Democracy or PAD has occupied the Government House site since late August and refuses to leave until Prime Minister Somchai steps down.

-- TNA 2008-11-15

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government is searching for a new location for the Government’s headquarters, as anti-government protesters have shown no sign of ending their seizure of Government House, according to Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

He had no intention to prevent anyone from protesting but for security reasons, it would be wise to have a new Government headquarters. He added once the protesters dispersed from the current Government House, it would take a long time to renovate the place.

The premier had not decided on a location for his new headquarters, but it should be located in Bangkok. He said the current Government House could be used as a museum to feature the chronicles of the Thai government since 1932.

The People’s Alliance for Democracy or PAD has occupied the Government House site since late August and refuses to leave until Prime Minister Somchai steps down.

-- TNA 2008-11-15

With the PAD memebers as exhibits, what a great museum that would make! :o

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government is searching for a new location for the Government's headquarters, as anti-government protesters have shown no sign of ending their seizure of Government House, according to Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

The People's Alliance for Democracy or PAD has occupied the Government House site since late August and refuses to leave until Prime Minister Somchai steps down.

-- TNA 2008-11-15

Yep, a true museum of horrors.

:D

Yes I agree, it would a great example of passive resistance against a corrupt and ineffective government being run by a criminal who is no longer a resident of the country.

Ineffective government who cleared the IMF loan, provide cheap health care for poor people, build houses for the poor, turned the green light on for Suvarnabhumi Airport to become true (It was on the plan for how many years already? They said must be imported materials. Khun Thaksin said they use Thai materials), made Thai image to be a stable strong country, give the poor the chance to use free water and electricity, bus, train, etc. If other party had the chance to go up, I wish they could be as ineffective as that so Thailand could benefit.

Those firms who are against the TRT/PPP are those who are so successful: TOT, Railway Co. If we had the choice, no one would use TOT. Look how they improved railway system in Thailand. Still the same since the beginning with single way. When the idea was raised to improve, railway people stopped working to protest. Did it say enough? And the current case that Railway Company must pay a huge fine for what they did 18 years ago. Who will pay that?

Now the government wants to work out something to encourage people to use public transportation but someone screamed that there is corruption. Look at themselves. Are they so clean?

Edited by Koo82

Ineffective government who cleared the IMF loan, provide cheap health care for poor people, build houses for the poor, turned the green light on for Suvarnabhumi Airport to become true (It was on the plan for how many years already? They said must be imported materials. Khun Thaksin said they use Thai materials), made Thai image to be a stable strong country, give the poor the chance to use free water and electricity, bus, train, etc. If other party had the chance to go up, I wish they could be as ineffective as that so Thailand could benefit.

Those firms who are against the TRT/PPP are those who are so successful: TOT, Railway Co. If we had the choice, no one would use TOT. Look how they improved railway system in Thailand. Still the same since the beginning with single way. When the idea was raised to improve, railway people stopped working to protest. Did it say enough? And the current case that Railway Company must pay a huge fine for what they did 18 years ago. Who will pay that?

Now the government wants to work out something to encourage people to use public transportation but someone screamed that there is corruption. Look at themselves. Are they so clean?

He took full credit for many things in the pipeline anyway,

that just got completed after decades during his watch.

Biggest examples.:

40 years on in the project, he rushed the airport to completetion

and it took another year to function properly.

And was only a few % bigger than Don Muang.

Nothing to be so proud about. and happening anyway.

IMF loan, was mostly being paid off at same schedule as other countries.

But he sped it up with a off-shore bond sale, converting the debt into

NON-Thai owned debt, but with an ADDED level of interest,

to now be paid by later generations of Thais.

Thai's can't even BUY this debt to profit on it.. only foreigners.

But it is a Damocles sword none the less, hanging over Thailand's future prosperity.

Taking from Peter to pay Paul and from Paul to pay Saul, and on down the line.

Like a governmental Ponzi pyramid scheme.

So another thing not to be so proud of.

Much for short term show, and not so much for the long term good.

But his good work, was most often accompanied an record setting level of graft.

Un-precidented corruption and the ensuing loss to the Thai people.

He did try privatization of state run enterprises and found lots of opposition.

Much of the privatisation would have DIRECTLY enriched his cliwue,

and not the Thai people or the company employees.

See greater graft opportunities with less supervision.

I note you say that the companies who opposed him were so successful.

I note TOT was infiltrated by Thaksin people and was a main reason for his HUGE rise

in wealth, sweetheart contracts through TOT controled entities in the cellphone market.

His increased control there MOSTLY benefitied Shin Corp and AIS... his personal companies.

All railways in most counties are ineptly run, and significant upgrades cost astronomical amounts.

You were never going to see a Japoanese or French style train system here in your lifetime.

He is now responsible for the biggest Loss Of Face in decades for Thailand.

He is the central figure to this current debacle no one else.

He could have melted into the background, same as most ALL deposed Thai rulers,

but his ego won't let him.

It is curious that you are not defending the effort to clean things up.

So they cancelled a graft ridden Samak bus contract.

The loss for the Thai people would have been great, but little raising of services.

And tons of graft for Samak's friends. It was a dirty contract plain and simple.

They thought no one was looking.

And want excuse the Rail company for it's mistakes from the past on cost reasons.

Graft is OK if your guy does it, but not for others.

And efforts to clean up the system are too expansive.

Attitudes like this perpetuate the mess.

Edited by animatic

He circulated the money. The result is: finished the IMF loan which was expected to pay in 60 years.

No one wanted to complete the Swamppy because they had to dig other people's mistakes and to take under table money for importing foreign materials. Nothing to be proud of but why didn't anyone do it and had to be done during Khun Thaksin's time?

I don't buy that excuse. Thailand can have double railway and have new trains. But these people who are excellent in managing the rail system want no improvement.

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government is searching for a new location for the Government's headquarters, as anti-government protesters have shown no sign of ending their seizure of Government House, according to Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

The People's Alliance for Democracy or PAD has occupied the Government House site since late August and refuses to leave until Prime Minister Somchai steps down.

-- TNA 2008-11-15

Haha, Well Zoo enclosures would make a better venue for PAD members. Personally though I think it is a nice historical building and it would make a great museum in the future. I agree with the idea that a new parliament needs a new government house. Nothing bad with the idea and hope it goes ahead.

So much for tradition.

If the same thing had happened in London (unlikely) would the British government abandon the Houses of Parliament and just say " Oh well, let's just build a new one"?

Impossible! :o

Most unlikely!!! and the protesters would all have been dead by now if they had been weapon weilding idiots like PAD.

I don't think anyone here in TV-land really know what Taksin did during his reign as PM.

I would love to know if he took kick back money. I would love to know how much. One baht or a billion, I can't say. But I felt he was sincere in working very hard to improve the lot for many, something many many governments in the past had not done or just were too interested in feeding at the trough to take on the hard issues.

But for the majority of those that hate Thaksin so viciously, I would love to know what it is that makes you think he did nothing in his time as PM!

Animatic, you clearly want to write an essay everytime you get the chance, if you were asked to take the Pro stand in a debate about Taksin, would you 1. have absolutely nothing to say, 2. cut your wrists before speaking a word of support for your enemy.

I for one have both good and bad things to say about every PM since I came to Thailand, Plus, Hammered, Animatic, H90 are 4 such people with views so anti Thaksin I rarely read what you write now. I see that as unfortuneate, as there is nothing left to debate or read........ hence my reduced post count recently!

Edited by jayjayjayjay

So much for tradition.

If the same thing had happened in London (unlikely) would the British government abandon the Houses of Parliament and just say " Oh well, let's just build a new one"?

Impossible! :o

The PAD would have been in jail long ago .

Most unlikely!!! and the protesters would all have been dead by now if they had been weapon weilding idiots like PAD.

I don't think anyone here in TV-land really know what Taksin did during his reign as PM.

I would love to know if he took kick back money. I would love to know how much. One baht or a billion, I can't say. But I felt he was sincere in working very hard to improve the lot for many, something many many governments in the past had not done or just were too interested in feeding at the trough to take on the hard issues.

But for the majority of those that hate Thaksin so viciously, I would love to know what it is that makes you think he did nothing in his time as PM!

Animatic, you clearly want to write an essay everytime you get the chance, if you were asked to take the Pro stand in a debate about Taksin, would you 1. have absolutely nothing to say, 2. cut your wrists before speaking a word of support for your enemy.

I for one have both good and bad things to say about every PM since I came to Thailand, Plus, Hammered, Animatic, H90 (don't forgot Shinaracha John and jdindenial) are 4 such people with views so anti Thaksin I rarely read what you write now. I see that as unfortuneate, as there is nothing left to debate or read........ hence my reduced post count recently!

With the PAD memebers as exhibits, what a great museum that would make! :D

:D

A jail could be built with some of the PAD specimens behind bars, preserved in large glass bottles , the museum could be called the 'hall of shame' . :o

I don't see anyone who would refuse to pick up from where Thaksin has left and carry on forward - healthcare, bureaucratic reform, mini-loan funds, OTOP. Every party incorporated these ideas in their policies.

The problem is with people who use the good things to wash away Thaksin sins.

Thaksin did work hard, and it was probably not all entirely self-serving, but he and his cronies has certainly taken a HUGE advantage of these schemes for the poor.

You can say that it was better than nothing, but what has it got to do with absolving Thaksin of all corruption charges. It simply doesn't follow.

Hitler built roads and invented the Beetle, too, but no one even thinks about forgiving him his crimes against humanity just because he reduced unemployment and put Germany back on the map again, after WWI fiasco.

I for one have both good and bad things to say about every PM since I came to Thailand, Plus, Hammered, Animatic, H90 are 4 such people with views so anti Thaksin I rarely read what you write now. I see that as unfortuneate, as there is nothing left to debate or read........ hence my reduced post count recently!

You missed out sriracha john who appears to have a good collection of photos and video (I watched 1 video from him so far) of famous people.

He still cannot provide anything to prove that Khun Thaksin has girlfriend(s) as he said. Khun Thaksin is not in Thailand so it is hard for someone to produce another video like what they did to Khun Somchai. :o

I'm still on-topic. The PAD hate the current government including Khun Thaksin so they are sleeping in the Ex-Government House with used condoms.

I don't see anyone who would refuse to pick up from where Thaksin has left and carry on forward - healthcare, bureaucratic reform, mini-loan funds, OTOP. Every party incorporated these ideas in their policies.

Thaksin did work hard, and it was probably not all entirely self-serving, but he and his cronies has certainly taken a HUGE advantage of these schemes for the poor.

You can say that it was better than nothing, but what has it got to do with absolving Thaksin of all corruption charges. It simply doesn't follow.

I wonder why until now they only can produce something to pull Khun Thaksin.

Because after the coup the Courts started doing their job instead of being in his pocket?

If you mean why the courts started moving only now - see replies above.

If you mean why everyone concentrates on negative aspects of Thaksin's legacy - maybe because he himself chose to make it the reason to fight. He doesn't phone in and talk about free bus rides for Bangkokians or something, he gets himself in the news for all the wrong reasons, like hiring foreign PR firms to paint Thailand in a bad light in international media.

What a patriot!

:o

He wanted to walk away, but some people are still looking for chances to revenge and they pushed him to the end.

:o:D :D :D :D

Wow, sometimes you are such a HOOT to read!!!

Alternate universe?

Rice / protein?

Condom / IUD?

Library / google?

Pastry box/ Somtam?

Only your hairdresser knows for sure.

I'm still on-topic. The PAD hate the current government including Khun Thaksin so they are sleeping in the Ex-Government House with used condoms.

What is your obsession with condoms?

Why are there used condoms near the PAD?

They don't just protest eh.