Importing A Car From Uk.

expatgaz

Iam looking at importing a car from the UK. Its a BMW 325.2 year old, approx value 22,000 pounds (abt 1.2 mil baht).I know that import Tax is high etc but Iam wondering who has experience of doing this and how they work out the tax cost.If its 100% tax of the value of the car,who sets the value ?? When it arrives do you get a Thai Plate etc etc

Any help on this and experiences from people who have done it would be most welcome.Even Companies people used who had a trouble free experience.

Much Thanks,

EPG.

Not sure I understand this.Are you saying I'd pay the 4 million in Thailand ? If the car cost me in the UK the same as 1.2 mil then surely 200% of that is 2.4 mil ?? Not sure where you get the 4 mil from ??? I'd pay for the car in UK and be hit with a 2.4 mil bill once it arrives.THat seems very steep.

EPG.

Not sure I understand this.Are you saying I'd pay the 4 million in Thailand ? If the car cost me in the UK the same as 1.2 mil then surely 200% of that is 2.4 mil ?? Not sure where you get the 4 mil from ??? I'd pay for the car in UK and be hit with a 2.4 mil bill once it arrives.THat seems very steep.

EPG.

Didn't u see my calculation? 200% of 1,2 million is 2,4 million. So thats 3,6 million. But you also need to pay 200% on the freight charges.

How come a Nissan 350Z is 5 million in Thailand, but in the US is barely one million?

Btw, you can get a "new" premium BMW 325 (driven 8-10 months) in Thailand for about 2,5 million.

Below is a post by Grant from another thread on this subject. If you wish to read entire thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Importing-2n...ar-t212928.html

Example Calculation of Taxes and Duties

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value of 1,000,000 Baht.

CIF value of the imported vehicle and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

CIF value of the import = 1,000,000 Baht

Import duty = 80 %

Excise tax = 35 %

Interior tax = 10 % of excise tax

VAT = 7 %

The total import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty = (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (1,000,000 * )

= 800,000 Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (1,000,000+800,000) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 1,800,000 * 0.5691057

= 1,024,390.20 Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 1,024,390.20 * 0.1

= 102,439.02 Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (1,000,000 + 800,000 + 1,024,390.20 + 102,439.02)

= 2,926,829.20 Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 2,926,829.20 *0.07

= 204,878.04 Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht or 213.17%

I think your biggest problem will be what value they decide to place on the value of your car. Will they use the Thailand book value or what you claim as the UK value.

I think that particular BMW can be purchased here and I think its used value is much higher here than the UK so which value do you think they will pick?

Bottom line, they can place whatever value they wish on your vehicle.

Criteria for a Permanent Import of Used/Secondhand Vehicles

[1] An importer is eligible to import only ONE used/ secondhand vehicles for personal use.

[2] In case where the importer is a nonresident, he/she is required to stay in Thailand for at least ONE year and present a non-immigrant visa issued by the Immigration Bureau, the National Police Office together with a work permit issued by the Ministry of Labor and Social Welfare at the time of importation.

[3] In case where an importer is a Thai resident marrying a foreigner, he/she is required to present documentary evidence of marriage and proof of changing residence to Thailand. Also the importer has to own and possess the imported vehicle for at least one and a half year while staying abroad, from the date of transferring the ownership to the date of arrival into Thailand.

[4] In case where an importer is a Thai resident, he/she is allowed to import a vehicle only when such vehicle is accompanied the owner on the change of residence and he/she has owned and possessed the imported vehicle together with the valid driving license for at least one and a half year while staying abroad.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...me=PersonalPer#

Edited by Grant

Look, if they want your car (and they will) they just keep adding charges until you walk away from it !!

You cant get a 100% quote before you ship it and once its here you cant get it released without paying the amount they dream up.

Unless you enjoy watching the customs boss drive around in your car forget it.

Below is a post by Grant from another thread on this subject. If you wish to read entire thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Importing-2n...ar-t212928.html

Example Calculation of Taxes and Duties

The following example shows a breakdown of the liable taxes and duties assessed on the vehicles less than 2400 c.c. cylinder capacity with a CIF value of 1,000,000 Baht.

CIF value of the imported vehicle and applicable taxes and duties are as follows:

CIF value of the import = 1,000,000 Baht

Import duty = 80 %

Excise tax = 35 %

Interior tax = 10 % of excise tax

VAT = 7 %

The total import duties and taxes imposed on this import are calculated as follows:

1. Import duty = (CIF value * Rate of import duty)

= (1,000,000 * )

= 800,000 Baht

2. Excise tax = (CIF value + import duty) * {Rate of excise tax/1-(1.1 * Rate of excise tax)}

= (1,000,000+800,000) * {0.35/1-(1.1*0.35)}

= 1,800,000 * 0.5691057

= 1,024,390.20 Baht

3. Interior tax = Excise tax * Rate of interior tax

= 1,024,390.20 * 0.1

= 102,439.02 Baht

4. Base VAT = (CIF value+ Import duty+ Excise tax + Interior tax)

= (1,000,000 + 800,000 + 1,024,390.20 + 102,439.02)

= 2,926,829.20 Baht

5. VAT = Base VAT * VAT Rate

= 2,926,829.20 *0.07

= 204,878.04 Baht

Total taxes and duties = 1+2+3+5 = 2,131,707.20 Baht or 213.17%

I think your biggest problem will be what value they decide to place on the value of your car. Will they use the Thailand book value or what you claim as the UK value.

I think that particular BMW can be purchased here and I think its used value is much higher here than the UK so which value do you think they will pick?

Bottom line, they can place whatever value they wish on your vehicle.

These numbers will apply if your car is below 2500cc and 220HP.

In determining the CIF value, the you will get a 25% discount for a 2yr old car on the purchase price (cost element) plus actual insurance and freight charges.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Perso...Nme=PersonalPer

I am not sure exactly how they determine the cost : I believe they ask the dealer.. In this case, the price in Germany might apply rather than that in the UK? i wonder..

It is best to contact the bmw dealership, but they can be quite difficult to deal with.

Try a used car dealer who has many imported used cars (like perhaps Z3/4's) for sale for a 2nd opinion.

(This is where the customs can really take you for a ride by adding up for "options")

As someone mentioned, many people have lost their beloved cars trying to import them here. Make sure you know what you are doing. And keep us posted!