The Dutch Food Topic...

TheJoker

Okay, this topic holds all the discussion about Dutch ( The Netherlands ) food. Good luck!! :lol:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi (Dutch)members.....

anybody know where to find "zoute haring" in Thailand ??? fresh, not rollmop.

the one you can eat with sliced onion, using a toothpick. appreciate your help. Thanks.

kg1947

Okay, this topic holds all the discussion about Dutch ( The Netherlands ) food. Good luck!! :o

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi (Dutch)members.....

the one you can eat with sliced onion, using a toothpick. appreciate your help. Thanks.

kg1947

I can send to you :D

No such thing as 'salt herring' in Thailand. Herring is a cold waterfish.

Though the Thai like all kinds of meat and fish, salted and stuck in a pot for a while, they don't really like Dutch herring.

A friend of mine who has a restaurant in CNX asks friends and tourists who come to CNX another time, to bring some herring from Holland.

Herring is a frozen fish (mandatory by government) and if you pack the fish well in bubble foil or newspaper than it will survive the trip. Eate it myself and aroi maak.

To speak of this restaurant 'The Wall' at Ratchaviti road they also serve kroketten en frikandellen made by some dutch guys. Great taste and the frikandellen even taste more like meat than in Holland. I talked to the man from The Wall and he told me that some more restaurants are serving the kroket and frikandel.

He also gave me the e-mail address as they also deliver to private people.

Okay, this topic holds all the discussion about Dutch ( The Netherlands ) food. Good luck!! :o

Hi (Dutch)members.....

kg1947

Do you mean Pekelharing?

Hi (Dutch)members.....

kg1947

Do you mean Pekelharing?

I think he is talking about what we Belgians call "maatjes".

For those who like to experiment a bit, here is a recipe that was posted a while ago on another forum by a Dutch expat who claims to have found a good alternative for it. Did not try it out by myself as I believe it will not work :D

Na veel experimenten eindelijk een alternatief gevonden voor haring, heel eenvoudig.

Bij Tesco LOTUS , althans op Samui, heb je wit gefileerde vis liggen.

De naam is <Pla tab tim>.

Kook een pan met water, draai het gas uit en leg de bevroren vis er in en laat het dan afkoelen, dus de vis niet koken. Probeer eerst met 1 of 2 filé's.

Neem een afsluitbaar bakje met water en los daar pekel in op, leg de vis er in en plaatst het in de koelkast. DUS PEKEL....geen zout.

Na drie dagen haal je de vis er uit. Even een stukje proeven, als het te zout is even in schoon water leggen.

Laat de vis uitlekken en goed droog deppen met keukenpapier.

Daarna in reepjes snijden, in een schaaltje doen met een scheutje olijfolie.

Dat maakt de vis vetter en lekkerder, doe er een klein beetje komijnpoeder bij en gehakte ui. Meng het hele zootje door ekaar en plaatst in de koelkast.

Neem een stuk komkommer, schil het en snij in de lengte door en verwijder de pitjes samen mer het vocht, snij in plakjes of reepjes.

Meng de komkommer met een schep Maypnaise pas VOOR het opdienen door de vis.

Hi (Dutch)members.....

kg1947

Ask: Horeca Supply Co. Ltd, Mr udy van den Berg , Chiang Mai, tel: 053-303120

Regards, Harry Romijn

Evere thought of .. as Dutch / Belgium / German / French society in Thailand to set up OWN imports of food products for 'members" ?

Imagine : a list of items, members can order, for ... placing an order in NL, then by full container to Bangkok.

All members pay some in advance ( to have a reason to collect all), know 2-3 weeks in advance ... weekend of 20 - 21 Dec all will be ready for collection at a warehouse in ... Klong Thoey. Direct pay the balance, and take home / together for your friends.

As longh as it is long-shelf life items, I can supply.

In case a reefer ( cooled ) container can be set up, even rolmops, chocolade, kaas, vleeswaren...

Alochol / wine is a much more dificult issue seen high import tax ( about 400 % )

YOU have to set up order security + import + distribution + financing.

For volume idea: one 20 ft container is approx 1800 cartons of 24 cans of 425 ml. Imagine ... 200 families, each 6 cartons ( and exchane under yourselves .. 4 pakken gestampte muisjes, 6 rookworsten, 12 blikken erwtensoep, 6 pakken pepernoten, 12 chocolade letters, 1 kg camembert, 2 kg edammer, 4 pakken koffie, 1 gerookt hammetje )

No such thing as 'salt herring' in Thailand. Herring is a cold waterfish.

Though the Thai like all kinds of meat and fish, salted and stuck in a pot for a while, they don't really like Dutch herring.

A friend of mine who has a restaurant in CNX asks friends and tourists who come to CNX another time, to bring some herring from Holland.

Herring is a frozen fish (mandatory by government) and if you pack the fish well in bubble foil or newspaper than it will survive the trip. Eate it myself and aroi maak.

To speak of this restaurant 'The Wall' at Ratchaviti road they also serve kroketten en frikandellen made by some dutch guys. Great taste and the frikandellen even taste more like meat than in Holland. I talked to the man from The Wall and he told me that some more restaurants are serving the kroket and frikandel.

He also gave me the e-mail address as they also deliver to private people.

Dunno if I can spread the e-mail in this forum but let's try. [email protected]

kroket dan bread is the BEST snack!

Somebody knows a shop in BKK where I can find sliced( even prepacked would be OK) Dutch or Belgian Cheese. They have some in Tops, Carefour, Foodland and Villa market, but they only have a very limited choice and its only sold by blocks.

Did you try The MALL?

(Bangkapi) they sell cheese from varies countries.

• 1 month later...

Importing goods from farang countries is way to expensive. Ok, good plan if you want to combine to a container, but what about chilling/freezing. NO guarantees.

Import tax on snacks and stuff like that is altogether about 400%. Check the official customs website and you will find out that hardly anyone is interested to risk his neck.

Kroketten en frikandellen are available in Chiang Mai, handmade by Dutch guys. So why worry about importing yourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Importing goods from farang countries is way to expensive. Ok, good plan if you want to combine to a container, but what about chilling/freezing. NO guarantees.

Import tax on snacks and stuff like that is altogether about 400%. Check the official customs website and you will find out that hardly anyone is interested to risk his neck.Kroketten en frikandellen are available in Chiang Mai, handmade by Dutch guys. So why worry about importing yourselves.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you all members for your info's. Will check local source as mentioned.

Cost of transp. & tax really limit our choices here.

So, I'll wait until I visit AMS again and eat to my heart's content.

Maybe Air Asia X will have a KUL-AMS/BRU/DUS ..... soon - how about that Tony Fernandez ???

KUL-LON will be a reality soon, lucky Brits !

kg1947

• 3 weeks later...

No, I don't have haring/herring, but I do have some snacks for you.

Yes, I know this is sort of an add and maybe this one can be tolerated since it is helping (Dutch/Belgium) expats to satisfy some of their needs in Thailand. So expats for expats, right? I realize that the Dutch share in the total Thailand expats community is relatively small and that's ok since I don't want to start a factory.

Dutch people know what a kroket and frikandel is and the kroket is the nr 1 desired snack abroad for them. The frikandel is nr 1 in the home country but second abroad.

So I like to introduce my handmade snacks to all people who are interested. Kind of an exploded hobby. Being a ex-chef in Holland I need to let my hands do something and of course that is food.

For those not familiar with these snacks or finger food, the kroket is a firm ragout made of beefstock and secondly battered in a cilinder form. Ready froozen to be deep fried for what ever occasion. Fast food, in between snack or just for lunch with a slice of bread and along with mustard, you name it.

The Frikandel is sort of a saucage but not in a skin like most saucages. Made of chicken and porc grounded together with special herbs and spices. Ready froozen to be deep fried for what ever occasion. Fast food, in between snack or as lunch or dinner together with fries.

The 'Frikandel Special' is served with curry-ketchup, mayo and chopped onions. Yummy.

***PM the poster for details***

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa,

I knew the God of kroket and frikandel existed.

I want a few boxes, ha ha ha.

You just make them home and send out or can we try somewhere?

• 2 months later...

So guys according to you I would not be able to buy fresh herring in Thailand I just love pickled herring but and thought about doing it my self and not buying the expensive imported ones, any other fish avaible in Thailand I could use(similar to herring)?

So guys according to you I would not be able to buy fresh herring in Thailand I just love pickled herring but and thought about doing it my self and not buying the expensive imported ones, any other fish avaible in Thailand I could use(similar to herring)?

I doubt it... the herring is a really fat fish, Thai fish contains less fat due to the warmer climate. But you can try the Tim fish recipe I posted above.

....and it's the Dutch National Day today, right?

Gerd

Yes, and I heard that they have a lot off unsold herring this year :)

An idiot tried to crash the bus off the royal family with his car, leaving 4 people dead and several injured. They had to cancel the event.

Edited by marcus

Yup, that man came from 7 km from where i live now. Costs of living are the main problem. Rental prices are insane here, 900 tot a 1000 euro for something you would rent in thailand for 175 euro, while the incomes remain the same here. He if any of you dutch people here can get me some work in thailand, please send me an pm or mail. DANK JE WEL.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

In Phuket there is a nice place where you can eat Dutch food. In Patong in a side street of the famous Bangla street there is the Ducth Inn, a nice place where you can get all your Dutch food. There is also a bar in Soi 33 in bangkok called the Green Parrot where you can get your fix of Frikandellen and bitterballen.

I'd like to ask our Dutch friends.....where can I find good bitterballen in Bangkok?Also a more general question aimed at Amsterdam...where I used to find the best sausage rolls in Europe but now they are universally as crap as in England....what happened???Still love Dutch food...those eetcafes hidden away in the Jordaan....ahhhh... :)