Questions About Support Affidavit.

I need to see if anyone has had experience with this. I plan on marrying my Thai fiance of 2 years this december and proceeding right into the Visa process. I am in the US military and will be getting out in June05. I am looking at the support affidavit (I-134) and i have a few questions on this if anyone could help me.

How much do they actually look at your current account? I am not in debt but i dont have alot....

Will they take into account the fact that my active service ends in 6 months?

Can i list my parents as "co-signees" as it where?

Are there any other tips on this form? I have all the others and will have no problem with them..

Also, what other paperwork will i need for marriage besides that listed on the embassy web site (affidavit, birth cert, passport)

Thanks in advance

I need to see if anyone has had experience with this. I plan on marrying my Thai fiance of 2 years this december and proceeding right into the Visa process. I am in the US military and will be getting out in June05. I am looking at the support affidavit (I-134) and i have a few questions on this if anyone could help me.

How much do they actually look at your current account? I am not in debt but i dont have alot....

Are there any other tips on this form? I have all the others and will have no problem with them..

Also, what other paperwork will i need for marriage besides that listed on the embassy web site (affidavit, birth cert, passport)

Thanks in advance

If your goal is to obtain a long term visa for Thailand based on support by marriage of a Thai, you will need a bank account in Thailand with 400,000 baht in it or a combination of savings and income.

Thanks in advance

Unless there are special circumstances for military personel, then I recommend that you do not actually marry her while she is in Thailand. It is faster to get a fiancée visa than it is to get a spouse visa. You can still have a ceremony in Thailand, just don't register at the local Amphur.

I believe they look at your income combined with your savings. So for someone who is retired and living off his savings, savings is more important. But if you have a steady income, that should be fine. And yes, your parents can co-sign.

Unless there have been big changes you should be in contact with military and they should be guiding you through the hoops. Or trying to talk you out of it. :o

Wonder how sure you are about getting out? Do you have employment lined up?

Now I am sounding like a Judge Advocate?

Believe military can be a shortcut to citizenship (change of base) so you might want to check that out.

Have not filled out I-134 but web sites for government should have most answers if you do a Google search.

For marriage (if that is what you are asking) you need paperwork (probably being military it must be signed off) that you are single and able to marry, have employment and several references that must be translated and registered with the MFA. Your passport and perhaps translator. Have never heard of needing a birth certificate for marriage.

If you mean for visa medical, fingerprint check will also be required.

Thanks in advance

:D

First of all...Good Luck

From experience friends have had with marriage and getting Thai wife a visa...

it can run from good experience to Truely Bitchy

Don't know how to put this nicely, so I'll just say if proposed wife was ever a bargirl type local workers in American Embessy can sometimes be nasty about paperwork and such. May be envious that she going to get visa and go stateside and they can't.

One thing.....if locals in Embessy get picky with you...POLITELY, ask to see the American consul...but that is last resort. Best to answer politely, don't let them get your goat, even if they dis-respect you and your prospective wife.

That aside, they want proof you have funds to provide for yor wife once you are back stateside. Best to have a job lined up. In your case:

1. Stay in (reenlist) until after marriage. Military is a sure source of job continuity.

2. Have job offer after you seperate in writing. (Job interview scheduled may help)

3. Dependent on age, have your parents or family member vouch for you.

I had a friend that applied for visa for Thai wife who had about 50K U.S. in bank, but no job in U.S. They were uncertain about his ability to support wife sfter he went to states. He got his brother to vouch for him. Brother was mortaged up to his ears, didn't own anything that wasn't bought on credit. The Embessy loved his brother because he was a solid citizen with job in states. Didn't mater that brother had no money and everything was on credit. Go figure.

:o

Thanks for the replies, yes i am sure i am not re-enlisting, long story behind that, but basically I am definitely leaving. I plan on staying in Thailand until she can get her visa ( a. before i get out in june or b. when a job comes up in the states.) I have a few friends who own businesses who can send me a job offer when i need it. In the mean time i will pursue a job in teaching english (yeah i know every one else tries it). I have alot of teaching experience, being a non-commisioned officer in the Marine Corps, i have given my fair share of classes. I also understand many of the courses offered accept the GI Bill. My only concern is monetary, i have never seen a set amount that they want to see, and i also see that I can have people vouch for me (got a lot that can). Thanks for everyones help again.

Thanks for the replies, yes i am sure i am not re-enlisting, long story behind that, but basically I am definitely leaving. I plan on staying in Thailand until she can get her visa ( a. before i get out in june or b. when a job comes up in the states.) I have a few friends who own businesses who can send me a job offer when i need it. In the mean time i will pursue a job in teaching english (yeah i know every one else tries it). I have alot of teaching experience, being a non-commisioned officer in the Marine Corps, i have given my fair share of classes. I also understand many of the courses offered  accept the GI Bill. My only concern is monetary, i have never seen a set amount that they want to see, and i also see that I can have people vouch for me (got a lot that can). Thanks for everyones help again.

Okay, here you go. I think this is the information you are looking for. First, the I-184 is the Afidavit Of Support for a green card. And here are the current Poverty Guidelines. Download these forms, and do the calculations. There are different guidelines for military, but only on active duty.

Affidavit of Support (I-864)

Poverty Guidelines

There is a different form for a fiance visa. Affidavit of Support (I-134)