Motorcycle Driving School?

bombis

I drive car here for years already in Bangkok but am interested now to get a motor bike. I had a scooter too here before just not a"real" motorcycle where you have to use a clutch. So I would like to learn first how to properly drive a motorcycle.

I checked a couple of posts about driving schools her on thaivisa.com. None seemed to be specifically about schools for learning how to drive a motorbike, just cars. These posts seemed all to suggest to go by yourself somewhere where there is enough empty space and do it the "trial and error' way.

Well, I might consider that as a last resort to get a friend of mine who has a bike showing me.

I would find it easier though to get some instructions first in Bangkok (or somewhere else might be OK too). I know for a fact that there are driving schools out there just wondering if anybody knows a specific one or has attended one. I know most schools in Bangko require you to talk Thai. This would not be a problem for me.

In Europe they have these "camps" where you go to the countryside for 3 days and learn how to drive non-stop during that time....but I guess that would be asked too much for :o well, any tips on this are appreciated.

To start riding-praticising in Bkk could be abit dangerous unless you understand the flow of the traffic....why not start in pattaya or an island where roads are alot more easier to ride in.maybe you could get a TV member around the area to teach you :o

goodluck safe riding.

Andy

thanks for the tips so far.

i understand the dangers involved in starting to drive in Bangkok but I drive a car here so long that I feel quite comfortable. In the beginning i would definitely be very careful and choose the roads i drive on carefully.

And I totally agree with the comment that you gotta drive the roads to really learn. All Im looking for in the course is a rundown on how everything works plus maybe some technical basics. The practicing I can do on my own then.

On that red baron website that i quickly scanned I could see that the courses can have up tp 40 people.

I would prefer a bit more private that a mass course like thisa. Cannot imagine this will be very effective.

Are there any links to the Yamaha riding academy? Is this a safety course or really a course to teavh you how to manoever a motorbike?

he Yamaha riding academy is here http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/ridersclub/N...tail.aspx?Id=30 you can also go here http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/ridersclub/news.aspx to find the contact details, and check up the next course.It is called Basic Rider Training and it appears to train you on driving technique and so on for big bikes.

Good luck, Cheers Bard

• 1 year later...

This is great information, I was looking for Riding schools for my son and I. I have contacted both of the schools listed here to get the particulars about their courses.

I am curious, has anyone here participated in training from either of these schools and if so how was your experience?

Thank you.

CHS

Wow ! Reading this post got me thinking of when I learned to ride.

I would recommend - after the driving school and/or lessons, that you become proficient at motorcycle control before riding on a public road. Mixed in with traffic is no place to learn to brake, accelerate, lean, etc.

Find a large empty parking lot and practice panic stops, full lean turns, place some cones or cans or whatever and practice emergency avoidance technique. Sprinkle some sand down on the road and find out how much traction you will lose over this surface. Learn what your motorcycle can do, and what you can and can not. Practice Practice.

After you can do the above, then you can attempt to figure out traffic.

• 4 weeks later...