Is Being Gay "fashionable"?

onni4me

I recently went to Rad Disco (or multiplex disco which it actually is) in Khon Kaen with my friend. I don't go out so often since I don't enjoy loud music that prevents me having a discussion. Nevertheless, I was quite puzzled since the place nowadays has a separate section for gays. And that seemed to be rather popular (not to mention quite large area). :o

What made me think was that Khon Kaen is quite small place and serves only one massage parlour for gays (that I know of) and I thought gays are not so present all around. Maybe I was wrong but it also seems that 'being gay' or 'gayness' is something fashionable nowadays. At least many seemed to come with their lady friends (girlfriends?) to have a peek in the exotiques world of gay.

Also my bf constantly shows me Thai superstars that have been seen with same sex friend in peculiar light. To me it seems that they might be doing so because of the request of PR agency or agent rather than being ultimately gay. We have talked about this when we referred to sexuality of Thais and some of us thought that they might be 50/50 what comes to relations and experiments.

Any idea? Experiences on the subject? You believe I am wrong suggesting its just a whim of 'fashion' or is there something more profound there?

The cities here (and anywhere else) will always have high concentrations of gay people because of the advantages of city life over village life in regard to anonymity, more people to meet, and privacy.

I'm not entirely sure where the connection comes from between gays and fashion itself- though I suspect it has something to do with the 'over the rainbow' effect, of having frequently displaced our lives into a kind of a fantasy zone, which is partly what fashion is- but it has always been there. Since models and actors are intimately associated with fashion, it is inevitable that many of them will be gay (or if not gay, will certainly not want to give a gay-negative impression of themselves).

While it is an amusing feature of the scene, it is also somewhat juvenile and unreal. Fortunately, many gay men eventually abandon being 'fashion-queens' in favour of having a real identity in a real life.

Every Thai disco has gay customers.

'S'

The link between fashion and being gay has alluded me. I have NO fashion sense. Most of my gay friends have got pretty good fashion sense and they dress nicely. I usually end up looking more like Bozo the Clown. In order to be presentable, I have to be dress quite conservatively.

I also didn't get any of the lovely mutant decoration gene that a lot have.

I do have other attributes, but probably shouldn't post them on a public forum!

• 4 weeks later...
:D In my 40 years as a gay man, so often I have found, that what we do, as gays, often takes a few more days for straights to catch up with, not sure if this is being fashionable....I recall my father wearing a pink jumper/sweater...something a straight man would never be caught wearing for fear of being branded gay, funny how a color can denote so much socially....Dukkha......... :o

Well I am surprised that this thread has lasted so long. Normally any thread on this forum that questions gays is closed within minutes - maybe it will now.

I seriously believe that alot of 'gay' guys are doing it to be fashionable or socially shocking. The last few I met in the UK before moving here 3 years ago were in long term relationships but had never slept together.

I personally dress very austentaciously, but am the straightest man you will ever meet. Some of the previous comments blow my mind.

As to the OP's original question, I believe yes, but mainly for shock/ attention value.

Is 'questioning' gays what gets threads closed, or is it breaking the rules about insulting or inflammatory remarks, especially regarding minority groups (especially in the subforums where they are protected)? Then again, this concern is somewhat off-topic, and also verges on discussion of moderation.

If comments on this thread blow your mind, then you are easily blown. :o

I feel fashion-able, oh so fashion-able,

I feel fashion-able, fashion-able, and GAY!!!!!

This is a silly thread.

Being fashionable sometimes might be... :D My mother used to dress me in fashion clothes when I was very young and no-one had similar things to wear. I know from personal experience how it feels to look silly. :o

Anyway, my original posting was more about the idea that many youngsters seem to show tendencies even if they are not fully committed being gay. "Fashionable" in this regard. I was pondering more like whether this is something in our time that makes people take sexual roles even if they are not sure about themselves. Or is it because everything is more free nowadays and I am the old fart that just can't get it right? Or maybe they just experience because they can?

Donno really...

Ive never been a follower of fashion, and dont intend to start now :D ..

I can't tell you how grateful we all are :o

And opinionated, seems the Pope is biased also ! :D

Give me a break! The Pope is a 'confirmed bachelor' who wears spangly golden frocks. :D

Ive never been a follower of fashion, and dont intend to start now :D ..

I can't tell you how grateful we all are :o

And opinionated, seems the Pope is biased also ! :D

Give me a break! The Pope is a 'confirmed bachelor' who wears spangly golden frocks. :D

I only caught it on the captions on the bottom of the tv ( and i didnt have my glasses on ) but what was that about the pope wanting to send gays and transvestites to the rain forest ?,. is it a new gay club :D

Personally, I find that being gay with a waist size anywhere above 40 pretty much prevents you from being 'fashionable.' :D:o

Tis true. It doesn't make one fashionable or unfashionable. It makes one INVISIBLE in the mainstream gay world. Happily, there is a lot about Thailand that is outside western mainstream gay values.

Personally, I find that being gay with a waist size anywhere above 40 pretty much prevents you from being 'fashionable.' :D:o

Happily, there is a lot about Thailand that is outside western mainstream gay values.

I'm 64 y.o., 180 lbs, 5.52 f., waist size 50 (EU) and dress accordingly, a very average man, INVISIBLE in the western world, but here -my friend-... is a different world! They measure you by the size of your wallet, your heart and your cock. If they are happy with that you have succeeded!

Yes, it is fashionable to be gay, but not camp or eccentric.

• 4 weeks later...

Tis true. It doesn't make one fashionable or unfashionable. It makes one INVISIBLE in the mainstream gay world. Happily, there is a lot about Thailand that is outside western mainstream gay values.

Funny old world, innit? Now being out is in, and the larger you get the harder you are to see. :D

A couple of posters have mentioned the Pope.

The Pope is an old queen, I am told.

She is a vicious mincing old thing, one of the worst kinds. If you look closely, you can pick up the mannerisms, if you have yr own gaydar switched on.

How do I know this? I have it on good authority that Ms Ratzinger had quite a reputation in German priest school 50 yrs ago. She was well-known for chasing the other boys around the dorms. I am only passing this on--I have no scientific or factual proof--but..........it all fits.

P Ed

I don't give a dam_n what someone's sexual preferences are.

So why is it that so many men and women want to flaunt their sexual preferences into my face?

Just be yourself, don't flaunt yourself.

Because that is rude!

In my working life a lot of people were working for me.

Obviously, there have been straight and gay men and women.

SO WHAT??????

The only important thing was what they did, how they managed to do it, and what it meant to the company.

Oh dear, you are gay/lesbian?

Yes?

We had "office" parties, bring your partner (m/f)

Have fun, enjoy, dance, drink.

Oh dear, you are gay/lesbian?

Yes?

Be yourself.

OK?

So why is it that so many men and women want to flaunt their sexual preferences into my face?

Yes, that can indeed be very annoying.

post-37101-1232793785_thumb.jpg

OK, cheat sheet for those who don't know. The fat white guy is the right Reverend Rick Waren, obnoxious homophobe and opponent of gay marriage rights, I think he's got a "thing" for our fine US President.

Edited by Jingthing

She is a vicious mincing old thing, one of the worst kinds. If you look closely, you can pick up the mannerisms, if you have yr own gaydar switched on.

How do I know this? I have it on good authority that Ms Ratzinger had quite a reputation in German priest school 50 yrs ago. She was well-known for chasing the other boys around the dorms. I am only passing this on--I have no scientific or factual proof--but..........it all fits.

P Ed

Isn't this a tish off topic? (not to mention against the law in Thailand?)

P Ed

Isn't this a tish off topic? (not to mention against the law in Thailand?)

What? Being the Pope?

The cities here (and anywhere else) will always have high concentrations of gay people because of the advantages of city life over village life in regard to anonymity, more people to meet, and privacy.

I'm not entirely sure where the connection comes from between gays and fashion itself- though I suspect it has something to do with the 'over the rainbow' effect, of having frequently displaced our lives into a kind of a fantasy zone, which is partly what fashion is- but it has always been there. Since models and actors are intimately associated with fashion, it is inevitable that many of them will be gay (or if not gay, will certainly not want to give a gay-negative impression of themselves).

While it is an amusing feature of the scene, it is also somewhat juvenile and unreal. Fortunately, many gay men eventually abandon being 'fashion-queens' in favour of having a real identity in a real life.

Every Thai disco has gay customers.

'S'

I have noticed this and was very happy about it

it seems to have always been this way

let and let live- one of the best things about this great country

Well, and to tie things in a bit here, for the pedantic- the Pope *is* a bit of a fashion queen- do a few searches on his public appearances if you want to see what I mean. And also do a few searches on his ruby red slippers!!! :D

I'll never be fashionable, but I do try not to blatantly not fit in- if I'm out in a club, a basic T-shirt, slacks (no shorts) and trainers are pretty much enough to fit in. Don't go to a dance club (as I have seen some try) in shorts and cutoffs, button-down plaid shirts, business outfit, or in full white suit-with-waistcoat and tie.... OR all of them at once... OR dressed like the Pope!!! :o