Bali Vs Thailand

SamuiJens

Got me son and his wife and 2 kids coming, they want to go some place not to expensive and have seen LOS. Can anyone recommend Bali for last half of Feb. and 1st week of March? Is it that much rain, for example, or another place?

Any help will be appresiated. The kids are 8 & 2. Thanks.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got me son and his wife and 2 kids coming, they want to go some place not to expensive and have seen LOS. Can anyone recommend Bali for last half of Feb. and 1st week of March? Is it that much rain, for example, or another place?

Any help will be appresiated. The kids are 8 & 2. Thanks.

getting there will be the biggest consideration other than that rooms, food, beverage, and fuel is a far better value for money.

Have you factored in terrorism concerns? With the execution of the 3 murderers implicated in the Bali bombings, I'd think twice before putting my family in Bali. There's lots to see in Thailand if you try some of the places you haven't seen before.

Totally agree.

Have you factored in terrorism concerns? With the execution of the 3 murderers implicated in the Bali bombings, I'd think twice before putting my family in Bali. There's lots to see in Thailand if you try some of the places you haven't seen before.

dying down, not really an issue.

Until the next bomb goes off he whispers...

More chance of being involved in a road accident and killed in LOS than being blown up by a bomb in Bali.

I wouldn't spend too much time factoring in the terrorist 'threat'.

Then again I stay in bed at home nice n safe.

Until the next bomb goes off he whispers...

the fact is there is more terrorism going on in thailand on any day of the week than in all of indonesia. i.e the south, the north, the north east, bkk bombing this really does not leave many safe places to travel in thailand not to mention that for a family holiday the sex trade is not visable in bali

I go in Bali every year for a relaxing holiday with my wife and son. Usually I go second half of march for one month. (4 years already)

february/March is the end of the raining season so if you go in March/April should be better.

Absolutely cheaper than Thailand. I rent a small residence with 2 bedrooms, living room, big toilet balinese style, tv, phone, internet, kitchen with everything, 2 shared swimming pools, cleaning service, for a 1200 baht/day on a monthly base. This In Seminiak, the trendy center of Kuta/Legian/Seminiak town.

Restaurants are cheap too and compared to thai standard much better in quality, service and style.

Crazy shopping.

Still beautiful nature.

Wonderful people, very polite, civil, helpful, etc

The terrorism risk is the same of the rest of the world.

If not enough clear, I like Bali very much...

I go in Bali every year for a relaxing holiday with my wife and son. Usually I go second half of march for one month. (4 years already)

february/March is the end of the raining season so if you go in March/April should be better.

Absolutely cheaper than Thailand. I rent a small residence with 2 bedrooms, living room, big toilet balinese style, tv, phone, internet, kitchen with everything, 2 shared swimming pools, cleaning service, for a 1200 baht/day on a monthly base. This In Seminiak, the trendy center of Kuta/Legian/Seminiak town.

Restaurants are cheap too and compared to thai standard much better in quality, service and style.

Crazy shopping.

Still beautiful nature.

Wonderful people, very polite, civil, helpful, etc

The terrorism risk is the same of the rest of the world.

If not enough clear, I like Bali very much...

angiud, you got a link to that residence for 1200baht? Sounds great. how about getting there from Samui? What's the return price, and which airlines?

Thanks for all you replies.

The residence I go every year name Pondoksara.com. Is very nice but this year change the prices a little bit. But still very convenient if you stay more than 30 days.

About the flight: Thai Airways non-stop BKK Denpasar daily flight, last year about 15,000 baht return. I don't know now...

Rumors about a new Bangkok Air flight Samui-Denpasar, but just rumors.

I found for 2009 Singapore Airlines very cheap booking by internet (stop in Singapore).

i live in bali and i can tell you that the terrorism threat is not a major point of discussion with locals. they are quietly happy that the 3 bombers have been executed and do not talk about it a lot.

in fact, i personally think that its a very safe time to visit bali. the number of undercover police on the ground is phenomenal and you will find that many of the security guards are, in fact, police. most hotels have security checking vehicles with mirrors and dogs, and they also search the cars on the way in.

as for the question about bali being a cheaper alternative than thailand, i would say yes. petrol is .50 cents US a litre, food is cheap, and transportation is cheap. given that the current exchange rate is around 11,000Rp/USD) i think its pretty good value for money.

last night 3 of us went out for dinner in a lovely restaurant. we had drinks, and a lovely meal, and the cost was Rp 100,000 each. under USD10 per person.

i say you should come!

i live in bali and i can tell you that the terrorism threat is not a major point of discussion with locals. they are quietly happy that the 3 bombers have been executed and do not talk about it a lot.

in fact, i personally think that its a very safe time to visit bali. the number of undercover police on the ground is phenomenal and you will find that many of the security guards are, in fact, police. most hotels have security checking vehicles with mirrors and dogs, and they also search the cars on the way in.

as for the question about bali being a cheaper alternative than thailand, i would say yes. petrol is .50 cents US a litre, food is cheap, and transportation is cheap. given that the current exchange rate is around 11,000Rp/USD) i think its pretty good value for money.

last night 3 of us went out for dinner in a lovely restaurant. we had drinks, and a lovely meal, and the cost was Rp 100,000 each. under USD10 per person.

i say you should come!

Were the 3 bombers local? And why would locals want to continue to talk about it, it's bad for tourism.

Anyways, go if you want to because all the bombs i see going off in Thailand are definately killing two hundred tourists at a time. :o When was the last time tourist here was killed by a bomb?

Everyone's entitled to their own views, but for me, I have more faith in the Thai authorities over those that let things like Bali happen and that Marriot in Jakarta.

i say you should come!

Were the 3 bombers local? And why would locals want to continue to talk about it, it's bad for tourism.

Anyways, go if you want to because all the bombs i see going off in Thailand are definately killing two hundred tourists at a time. :o When was the last time tourist here was killed by a bomb?

Everyone's entitled to their own views, but for me, I have more faith in the Thai authorities over those that let things like Bali happen and that Marriot in Jakarta.

so how many bombs in all of indonesia in the last 5 years?

how many in thailand?

i say you should come!

well the 3 bombers WERE indonesian, so i guess that may make them local.

why would locals NOT talk about it?

and, yes, we are all entitled to their views. thats what the forum is all about - sharing views and ideas. im not saying you are wrong and i am right - not at all.

i say you should come!

and, yes, we are all entitled to their views. thats what the forum is all about - sharing views and ideas. im not saying you are wrong and i am right - not at all.

You sir have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, The Balinese are Hindu and the Bombers were Muslims. Believe me the Balinese if they had a choice would not want to be part of Indonesia.

Bali beats or at least equals everything Thailand has to offer, except the beaches. but wins hands down for cost, architecture,style.and culture..I just got back and it was so nice to jump into a taxi..you get to your destination you pay the small amount then leave a generous tip...he smiles and you smile at him....perfect.....heads up Samui and Phuket.............and yes it was rammed full of tourists.....and regarding bombs in tourist spots in thailand....................that could change very quickly, i am just waiting for it to happen.

oh yes and the girls, they are there if you are looking but not in you face like Thailand.

i say you should come!

Splitting hairs are we? ok, technically Indonesian yes but not locals from Bali whom I think would agree are 'different' in many ways compared to those found on the mainland.

Point 2, you mentioned that it is not a topic of discussion by the locals, not I?

For the other poster regarding the number of bombs, do you think the victims of both Bali Bombings care how many went off in the country before these ones did?

Btw, this was only last February...http://indonesiafirst.com/bomb-suspect-bali/ - doesn't mention if the targeted restaurant was frequented by locals or foreigners but if I had to guess...

or this little news item from a week ago:

POLICE ARREST TWO BOMBING THREAT SENDERS

Police have arrested two men suspected of having sent threats by cellular text (SMS) messages to blow up vital facilities in Jakarta over Bali bombers' Amrozi et al's execution, a spokesman said.

The two men were nabbed at different locations -- one in Tanah Grogot, East Kalimantan, and the other in Cimandiri, Lebak, Banten, Com Gen Susno Duaji, chief of the National Police's criminal investigation department, said here Monday.

Don't get wrong, Bali is a lovely lovely place but not somewhere I would take my wife and unborn child when other 'less risky' alternatives are at hand. It's up to each individual to weigh the risks.

i say you should come!

You sir have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, The Balinese are Hindu and the Bombers were Muslims. Believe me the Balinese if they had a choice would not want to be part of Indonesia.

Bali beats or at least equals everything Thailand has to offer, except the beaches. but wins hands down for cost, architecture,style.and culture..I just got back and it was so nice to jump into a taxi..you get to your destination you pay the small amount then leave a generous tip...he smiles and you smile at him....perfect.....heads up Samui and Phuket.............and yes it was rammed full of tourists.....and regarding bombs in tourist spots in thailand....................that could change very quickly, i am just waiting for it to happen.

oh yes and the girls, they are there if you are looking but not in you face like Thailand.

I lived in Bali for a short time..........long enough to have a good idea about it. It is Hindu.......they don't particularly like the Muslims that are flocking to Bali from Java. It is peaceful.......yes, there was a terrible bombing there several years back, but nothing since them to my knowledge.

The beaches are spectacular (can't believe somebody said the beaches in Thailand are better). The sunsets are fantastic.......it is fun to climb the local mountains........lots of terraced rice fields......lots of interesting Balinese culture to see.

Bali is religion combined with art.......that is how I see it.

Many of the hotels are spectacular..........Bali Sani Suites on the beach.....wow!

There are neighboring islands with some great scuba diving........great surfing in Bali.......good food......downside is the hawkers on the beach can drive you nuts.

Police have arrested two men suspected of having sent threats by cellular text (SMS) messages to blow up vital facilities in Jakarta over Bali bombers' Amrozi et al's execution, a spokesman said.

The two men were nabbed at different locations -- one in Tanah Grogot, East Kalimantan, and the other in Cimandiri, Lebak, Banten, Com Gen Susno Duaji, chief of the National Police's criminal investigation department, said here Monday.

Don't get wrong, Bali is a lovely lovely place but not somewhere I would take my wife and unborn child when other 'less risky' alternatives are at hand. It's up to each individual to weigh the risks.

yup, and they've arrested a 13 year old kid too.

but not one was a real bomb.

unlike thailand's south.

yup, and they've arrested a 13 year old kid too.

but not one was a real bomb.

unlike thailand's south.

Right you are sir, but then again, I don't see many flights full of Australians landing in Pattani. :o

I don't know how long OP wants to go to Bali for, but for long termers...

... what's the visa situation like as compared to Thailand?

For those of you who live in, or are travelling to Bali, I've read that you can now only get a one month tourist visa, instead of two. Then what? A visa run? Where to? I

Is not as easy as doing the visa run in Thailand. Is it?! Just hopping on a bus and crossing the border...

I'm thinking that a (visa run) flight to Singapore would be a monthly expense to factor in when choosing between Bali and Thailand, no?

For those of you who live in, or are travelling to Bali, I've read that you can now only get a one month tourist visa, instead of two. Then what? A visa run? Where to? I

Is not as easy as doing the visa run in Thailand. Is it?! Just hopping on a bus and crossing the border...

I'm thinking that a (visa run) flight to Singapore would be a monthly expense to factor in when choosing between Bali and Thailand, no?

visa run to darwin is quicker from bali (I think).

but in jakarta quite a few people do have to do monthly visa runs to singapore.

you can extend it using a social visa... 2 months to start with, then extend it up to 6 or 8 months i think.

expensive and paperwork.

i say you should come!

i fail to see how you came to the conclusion that i have no idea what i am talking about. religion wasnt brought up previously, so i dont know why you suddenly bring up the hindu/muslim thing. living and working in bali, i am fully aware that most Balinese are hindu and the majority of the rest of the country is muslim. how could i not notice that?

sure, some balinese would like to be separated from indonesia, but where would that get them in times of real need (in case there IS another bomb, for example). who would support them then? i think that realistically, if Bali were independent, it wouldnt work. but that is a whole new topic, dont you think?

sir.

when i lived there it was easy to get a social visa 6 months the best visa was 3yrs with an annual fee of 1,000 U.S. dollars. The typical visa run was perth or singapore. true it is not as easy as a bus ride across the border which also accounts for the fewer number of flakes.

SamuiJens, the dates you mentioned are smack in the middle of rainy season. but, same as Samui, its not gonna be raining all the time. march averages around 214mm of rain and april averages around 95mm. but as you live in samui, you will know that averages dont mean much!

What's the visa situation in Bali (Indo)?

I left Thailand a year ago partly because of all the hoops I had to jump thru for visas, & have been living in Cambodia since. No visa hassles here at all. Pay the nice colonel at the airport around $300 & he gives you a visa for 1 + 12 months = 13.

You don't have to leave to renew - just pay again.

However Cambodia is noisy, with very bad traffic, crime-ridden & surreally corrupt.

I like Bali; your post got me thinking a bit...