Bali Vs Thailand

SamuiJens

i live in bali and i can tell you that the terrorism threat is not a major point of discussion with locals. they are quietly happy that the 3 bombers have been executed and do not talk about it a lot.

in fact, i personally think that its a very safe time to visit bali. the number of undercover police on the ground is phenomenal and you will find that many of the security guards are, in fact, police. most hotels have security checking vehicles with mirrors and dogs, and they also search the cars on the way in.

as for the question about bali being a cheaper alternative than thailand, i would say yes. petrol is .50 cents US a litre, food is cheap, and transportation is cheap. given that the current exchange rate is around 11,000Rp/USD) i think its pretty good value for money.

last night 3 of us went out for dinner in a lovely restaurant. we had drinks, and a lovely meal, and the cost was Rp 100,000 each. under USD10 per person.

i say you should come!

Were the 3 bombers local? And why would locals want to continue to talk about it, it's bad for tourism.

Anyways, go if you want to because all the bombs i see going off in Thailand are definately killing two hundred tourists at a time. :o When was the last time tourist here was killed by a bomb?

Everyone's entitled to their own views, but for me, I have more faith in the Thai authorities over those that let things like Bali happen and that Marriot in Jakarta.

well the 3 bombers WERE indonesian, so i guess that may make them local.

why would locals NOT talk about it?

and, yes, we are all entitled to their views. thats what the forum is all about - sharing views and ideas. im not saying you are wrong and i am right - not at all.

You sir have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, The Balinese are Hindu and the Bombers were Muslims. Believe me the Balinese if they had a choice would not want to be part of Indonesia.

Bali beats or at least equals everything Thailand has to offer, except the beaches. but wins hands down for cost, architecture,style.and culture..I just got back and it was so nice to jump into a taxi..you get to your destination you pay the small amount then leave a generous tip...he smiles and you smile at him....perfect.....heads up Samui and Phuket.............and yes it was rammed full of tourists.....and regarding bombs in tourist spots in thailand....................that could change very quickly, i am just waiting for it to happen.

oh yes and the girls, they are there if you are looking but not in you face like Thailand.

the beaches in Bali are great ,Sanur is fantastic and Padang are just as good as anywhere,not to mention some of the best waves in the world.which thailand has a big fat zero.ask a surfer to show you were the best beaches are.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the visa situation in Bali (Indo)?

I checked some web site and the visa situation for medium/long stay is worse than Thailand.

It seems they just want 1 month tourists.....

To replace thailand at minimum i want something like malesya, free 90 days stamp at border.

Can we make it a 3-some?? :o

I'll be there for 3 weeks in April and plan on touring around and seeing as much as possible.

But i'll be more on an average backpacker budget than 5 star hotels, so any info would be great.

Boycie

• 1 month later...

Just returned from vacation with the family we spent two weeks in Seminyak in a rented two bedroom villa (128$ per night) private pool, kitchen etc....

We went to most of the tourist haunts i.e. the Volcano, lake, safari, elephant trex etc.... I found the prices for these trips/entrance fee's to be expensive especially when travelling with two young children.

Accommodation - accomm to meet everyones wallet.

Food - Every restaurant that we ate in was excellent, everything from local (Babi Guling) indian, chinese, japenese and all resonably priced.

Drinks - Same price as Thailand, loved the local brew Bintang.

Bars - limited (apart from Kuta) Seminyak was more about restaurants.

Weather - hot and humid, phew I forget how humid most of Asia can be during April.

Overall we had a nice vacation the people and the scenery were great but it was not worth the extra air miles (time) to travel there, Thailand meets the same criteria and betters it (my opinion) Bali reminded me a lot of Chiang Mai all the stone work.

i live in bali and i can tell you that the terrorism threat is not a major point of discussion with locals. they are quietly happy that the 3 bombers have been executed and do not talk about it a lot.

in fact, i personally think that its a very safe time to visit bali. the number of undercover police on the ground is phenomenal and you will find that many of the security guards are, in fact, police. most hotels have security checking vehicles with mirrors and dogs, and they also search the cars on the way in.

as for the question about bali being a cheaper alternative than thailand, i would say yes. petrol is .50 cents US a litre, food is cheap, and transportation is cheap. given that the current exchange rate is around 11,000Rp/USD) i think its pretty good value for money.

last night 3 of us went out for dinner in a lovely restaurant. we had drinks, and a lovely meal, and the cost was Rp 100,000 each. under USD10 per person.

i say you should come!

Were the 3 bombers local? And why would locals want to continue to talk about it, it's bad for tourism.

Anyways, go if you want to because all the bombs i see going off in Thailand are definately killing two hundred tourists at a time. :o When was the last time tourist here was killed by a bomb?

Everyone's entitled to their own views, but for me, I have more faith in the Thai authorities over those that let things like Bali happen and that Marriot in Jakarta.

well the 3 bombers WERE indonesian, so i guess that may make them local.

why would locals NOT talk about it?

and, yes, we are all entitled to their views. thats what the forum is all about - sharing views and ideas. im not saying you are wrong and i am right - not at all.

You sir have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, The Balinese are Hindu and the Bombers were Muslims. Believe me the Balinese if they had a choice would not want to be part of Indonesia.

Bali beats or at least equals everything Thailand has to offer, except the beaches. but wins hands down for cost, architecture,style.and culture..I just got back and it was so nice to jump into a taxi..you get to your destination you pay the small amount then leave a generous tip...he smiles and you smile at him....perfect.....heads up Samui and Phuket.............and yes it was rammed full of tourists.....and regarding bombs in tourist spots in thailand....................that could change very quickly, i am just waiting for it to happen.

oh yes and the girls, they are there if you are looking but not in you face like Thailand.

Bali is a great place to visit........cost depends on where you stay.......there are some wonderful hotels (check out Bali Sani Suites on the beach)........food is a bit different, but all types of food are there.........great shopping. The beaches are better, in my opinion, in Bali, especially if you like surfing........sunsets are spectacular.

The people who are talking about violence don't know what they are talking about.......far more violence in Thailand. Yes, there was a major terrorist event several years ago, but it is in the past.

You should make a point to go to Ubud and stay at least one night and see the Balinese dances. I would also highly recommend climbing Mt. Batur in the early morning hours. There is a hotel that overlooks it, right on a cliff (I love staying there when I am in Bali).

You can also go river rafting if that is something you like. The rice terraces are special........Bali is a place where art and religion collide......it permeates everything they do. The religion is a form of Hinduism, not Islam. Balinese feel separate from the rest of Indonesia.

What's the visa situation in Bali (Indo)?

I checked some web site and the visa situation for medium/long stay is worse than Thailand.

It seems they just want 1 month tourists.....

To replace thailand at minimum i want something like malesya, free 90 days stamp at border.

This is exactly what I've found. You can apply for a 2 month visa at the Indonesian Embassy in Bangkok If I recall correctly but from what I've heard it's a place more for a tourist with his family than the lone expat/traveller.

I agree I never felt threatened whilst in Bali, every shopping mall, private road had security who checked all vehicles inside and outside. Would recommend it to people who live closer i.e. in Thailand but for us travelling from the Gulf the journey was just a little too far when travelling with children, it took us 18 hours in total door to door.

Bali is a great place to visit........cost depends on where you stay.......there are some wonderful hotels (check out Bali Sani Suites on the beach)........food is a bit different, but all types of food are there.........great shopping. The beaches are better, in my opinion, in Bali, especially if you like surfing........sunsets are spectacular.

The people who are talking about violence don't know what they are talking about.......far more violence in Thailand. Yes, there was a major terrorist event several years ago, but it is in the past.

You should make a point to go to Ubud and stay at least one night and see the Balinese dances. I would also highly recommend climbing Mt. Batur in the early morning hours. There is a hotel that overlooks it, right on a cliff (I love staying there when I am in Bali).

You can also go river rafting if that is something you like. The rice terraces are special........Bali is a place where art and religion collide......it permeates everything they do. The religion is a form of Hinduism, not Islam. Balinese feel separate from the rest of Indonesia.

Just returned from vacation with the family we spent two weeks in Seminyak in a rented two bedroom villa (128$ per night) private pool, kitchen etc....

We went to most of the tourist haunts i.e. the Volcano, lake, safari, elephant trex etc.... I found the prices for these trips/entrance fee's to be expensive especially when travelling with two young children.

Food - Every restaurant that we ate in was excellent, everything from local (Babi Guling) indian, chinese, japenese and all resonably priced.

Weather - hot and humid, phew I forget how humid most of Asia can be during April.

Overall we had a nice vacation the people and the scenery were great but it was not worth the extra air miles (time) to travel there, Thailand meets the same criteria and betters it (my opinion) Bali reminded me a lot of Chiang Mai all the stone work.

Where did you stay? And what did you think of Seminayak?

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

RAZZ

We stayed at Villa Sari it a privately owned villa that they rent out, scheck out Villa Sari

I had read only a littel about Seminayak and was originally planning on going to Kuta, we changed our minds based on other peoples opinions. Sem is a great place for restaurants but very few bars (not bar / restraurants) I personnaly like a drink in a bar after food. Also everything seemed to be a distance away, you always had a good walk to the next place you wanted to visit. Taxi's are very cheap.

Personnaly if I was to go back I would stay close to Kuta rather than in Seminayak as I beleive I could have a medium of what I like.

We enjoyed ourselves but would not go back due to Thailand providing the same and more.

Dave

Thailand is getting costly, at least Samui, below 3000b yuo only get beach bungalow with a broken asbestos roof... :o

On Samui it is also raining a lot nov/dec, if in bali the rain will come later it would be a nice combination...

My thai wife and me just agreed to move from KPG to Bali the next year. I don't list here the pros and cons about Bali vs Thailand. We are so happy for our choice. Yes, we must start again! Open a new business, find a land, build an house, learn the language. Will be hard, but in the meantime so exciting.

Just say, here in Bali:

more nature, culture, traditions, respect, style, business

less violence, drug, alcohol, conceitedness, pride

PS: my wife push more than me to live in Bali!

RAZZ

We stayed at Villa Sari it a privately owned villa that they rent out, scheck out Villa Sari

I had read only a littel about Seminayak and was originally planning on going to Kuta, we changed our minds based on other peoples opinions. Sem is a great place for restaurants but very few bars (not bar / restraurants) I personnaly like a drink in a bar after food. Also everything seemed to be a distance away, you always had a good walk to the next place you wanted to visit. Taxi's are very cheap.

Personnaly if I was to go back I would stay close to Kuta rather than in Seminayak as I beleive I could have a medium of what I like.

We enjoyed ourselves but would not go back due to Thailand providing the same and more.

Dave

You said: "We enjoyed ourselves but would not go back due to Thailand providing the same and more."

I think I know what you meant........hotels and beach life? By "{more" maybe you meant the possibility of being sprayed down by AK47 bullets in the streets? :o

I have never seen gorgeous volcanoes or rice terraces or Balinese art/architecture/culture in Thailand. [if you are interested in buying some wonderful furniture, Bali is the place]

I have also never seen a nice beach w/ big waves ike you see at Kuta (for surfing), although some beaches in Phuket are nice.

The diving near the offshore islands in Bali beats anything I have ever seen in Thailand.

And the sunsets seem more spectacular in Bali, maybe because it is closer to the equator.

Yes, you can find nice hotels and beaches in both Bali and Thailand, but Bali is special.

I admit, after visiting Bali several times, I no longer am enamored with the culture.......but I can say the same about Thailand.

For first time visitors, Bali can be an adventure.

I admit, after visiting Bali several times, I no longer am enamored with the culture.......but I can say the same about Thailand.

Could I know what are the reasons?

Because I like the Bali culture much more than the Thai...

As pointed out in my earlier posts Thailand meets all what we require as a family more than Bali did, maybe this was down to our location? who knows.

I liked Bali and would recommend it to friends as a great place to visit and as pointed out by Angiud and Texas there are many things to see and do that are different to Thailand. I also think Texas has a little love affair going on with Bali but as most relationships mature I'm sure there will be some negatives about Bali to take into account.

The post was based on my/family feelings as a holiday vacation and is not to be taken as is.

Edited by ChangMaiSausage

Could I know what are the reasons?

Because I like the Bali culture much more than the Thai...

Hi.......maybe a poor choice of words on my part. What I mean is that I have seen and experienced what Bali has to offer (lived there at one time). So it no longer "surprises" me.

I remember coming to Thailand the first time. I kept looking around at everything, like a kid on his first trip to Disneyland, thinking "What is that.......I have never seen that before."

I no longer do that. It does not mean that I don't like Thai culture or Balinese culture, it only means that I am no longer surprised by both cultures.

With regard to travel, part of the fun is seeing and doing new things. At least that is what makes it fun for me. I feel like I am on an adventure.

I no longer feel like I am on an adventure when I go to Bali. I certainly don't feel that way living in Thailand.

But, you are right, Balinese culture is fascinating, especially if you have never been there. The collision of art and religion is particularly interesting.

I found the Balinese people to be some of the most sincere people on the planet, devoted to their religion-art. There did not seem to be violence in their hearts.

less violence, drug, alcohol,

I've just heard that FMP will move to Bali with all the nice people used to go there....

(just joking Angiud :o , but you cannot compare Bali to KPN, it is not fair, try Colombia against KPN....).

Aesthetically speaking only now. Isn't Bali, over all, much more aesthetically (physical beauty of the land) pleasing than Thailand?

So, once again, aesthetically speaking only now:

On a scale of 1-10, where would you place Thailand in aesthetics (beauty)?

On a scale of 1-10, where would you place Bali in aesthetics (beauty)?

I've been everywhere in Thailand, I would rate Thailand 6 in aesthetics.

I've never been to Bali, but from reports I've been given and photo's I have seen of Bali, I would rate it close to 10 in aesthetics.

Aesthetically speaking only now. Isn't Bali, over all, much more aesthetically (physical beauty of the land) pleasing than Thailand?

So, once again, aesthetically speaking only now:

On a scale of 1-10, where would you place Thailand in aesthetics (beauty)?

On a scale of 1-10, where would you place Bali in aesthetics (beauty)?

I've been everywhere in Thailand, I would rate Thailand 6 in aesthetics.

I've never been to Bali, but from reports I've been given and photo's I have seen of Bali, I would rate it close to 10 in aesthetics.

That is a good way to rank the two:

Thailand 4 (it reminds me of many other countries in S.E. Asia......nothing really special about it)

Bali 8 (there are places in Bali--outside of the main cities--that make your jaw drop.......you just say, wow.....look at that)

I will add that some of the old temples are aesthetically beautiful.........Balinese gardens as well.

And, in terms of the OP, you can have a good time in Bali and do so on a budget. Or you can spend a fortune. That is up to your pocketbook.

I live in Thailand and just got back yesterday from a week trip to Bali with the wife and two kids.

I would have to give the nod to Thailand for food, costs, beaches, and friendly people. Go to Bali if you want to check it off your list, but Thailand is much better value if at one of the southern beaches in Krabi, Samui, etc... Thailand also gets the nod for the advantage of experiencing Bangkok for a day or two prior to heading to a southern resort.

The resorts I guess can be somewhat comparable as are a few of the beaches (we stayed in a 5-star in Nusa Dua), but still giving the nod to Thailand.

However, the hawking by the Balinese is unbelievable compared to the passive Thais. We didn't like being hounded by people everywhere we went. In addition, the Balinese seem to have a line of tourist scams just waiting for seeking tourists (and haven't really seen this in Thailand in the years we've lived here).

As another poster mentioned, costs/time to fly to either place will need to be considered.

We live in Thailand and we taka am holiday in Bali every year, tomorrow will be the last day of our vacation and we are already upset and sad for our departure, back to Koh Phangan (good business, white beaches, etc). Sigh!

Anyway

Thailand 6

Bali 10

Price in Bali an average 30 % less than Phangan/Samui and quality much better than Thai

I live in Thailand and just got back yesterday from a week trip to Bali with the wife and two kids.

I would have to give the nod to Thailand for food, costs, beaches, and friendly people. Go to Bali if you want to check it off your list, but Thailand is much better value if at one of the southern beaches in Krabi, Samui, etc... Thailand also gets the nod for the advantage of experiencing Bangkok for a day or two prior to heading to a southern resort.

The resorts I guess can be somewhat comparable as are a few of the beaches (we stayed in a 5-star in Nusa Dua), but still giving the nod to Thailand.

However, the hawking by the Balinese is unbelievable compared to the passive Thais. We didn't like being hounded by people everywhere we went. In addition, the Balinese seem to have a line of tourist scams just waiting for seeking tourists (and haven't really seen this in Thailand in the years we've lived here).

As another poster mentioned, costs/time to fly to either place will need to be considered.

That was always the biggest drawback for me, incredibly persistent people in your face in many tourist spots, if your driving and spot a great view of the rice terraces just pull over and watch them swarm out from your bushes and make sure you can't get a photo till you've bought some tourist tat. Refuse a "guide" to trek up the volcano and come back to flat tyres or worse. Beach hassles orders of magnitude greater than LOS. Beautiful island, lovely people but the persistance of the hawkers ruins it. They aim to be annoying, one old crone used to sing (howl) outside a favourite restaurant till she was paid enough to go away.....

Have to say that there is an island much closer to Thailand without the hassle, Langkawi Malaysia, that is stunningly beautiful and peaceful. Duty free as well.

Have to say that there is an island much closer to Thailand without the hassle, Langkawi Malaysia, that is stunningly beautiful and peaceful. Duty free as well.

I would also add my vote for Langkawi and echo the words of 'roamer'.

I have a week in Bali in August so it will be interesting to compare.

Price in Bali an average 30 % less than Phangan/Samui and quality much better than Thai

No-one has really answered the OP's question.

Is Bali cheaper than LOS?

Forget about the price of hotels. What are the costs of a meal at a restaurant, bottle of water, street food, MC'Ds...Taxi's, Starbucks, beer in a bar etc etc etc

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Ok, talking of prices:

(reversing in baht, 1 baht about 300 Idr)

Bintang beer large 65/80 (market, restaurant)

Gasoline around 15

Local restaurant meal 50/70

Italian good restaurant meal 300

One rice street vendors 15

One soft drink 10/15

Honda dream 30/40,000

average salary for staff 2500/3500

Teamoney for road ticket 70/100

Jakarta post 20

1 kg banana 17

1 kg whole chicken 50

Black label 2000 (!)

House for rent you get a much better quality/aestetic for the same thai price

Villas for rent much cheaper

Looking at the size of Bali compared to Thailand there is no contest.

If you're a beach addict and enjoy gawping at pretty structures then fill your boots. If you like big travel and adventure, stick with Thailand. :D

Behind curtain #!: 1000 kg of elephant dung

Behind curtain #2: 100000 kg of elephant dung

CURTAIN # 2 IS THE WINNER!

Adventure in Thailand? What adventure?

There is so much to do and see in Bali.......it is a new experience, especially for first time travelers.

Bali is definitely is a place people should see and experience.

BUT, I do remember the "hawkers," especially at Kuta Beach.

Too many.........similar to Jomtien Beach in Thailand but worse.

Potential travelers should know that the hawkers are not allowed to disturb guests at the nice hotels.

One more difference between Thailand and Bali: Thailand has a lot of young men who drive motorcycle taxis......that can be a convenient way to get from point A to B.

I don't remember seeing anything similar in Bali, but I have not been there in a few years.

In terms of natural beauty, Bali wins hands down.

A good tour would be to experience both Bali and Thailand. Go to Bali to experience a beautiful island with a very unique culture.

Go to Thailand to experience...........the excitement of dodging AK47 bullets :o:D just kidding :D

All in all, I would say that spending US$100 in Bali will buy you more than spending the same amount in Thailand. In other words, on average, Bali is less expensive.

But, again, that depends on where you stay, what you do, etc.

You can spend a fortune in both places (ask Bill Gates).