Are Photos Really Needed For 2nd "o' Visa Extension?

Are photos really needed for 2nd "O' visa extension?

I ask because a year ago I renewed my non immg "O" wife visa in Korat and the immigration officer smiled when I offered photos but said that there was no need for them.

This week I will apply for my 2nd renewal in Bangkok (just moved in October) and have not had time to take new photos. Can I use old inside the house photos from our Korat house? Who would know the difference? And perhaps one quick photo in front of our new Bangkok house with the house number?

Is it ok to print the photo on plain paper in black and white or does it need to be a regular color photo print?

I ask because a year ago I renewed my non immg "O" wife visa in Korat and the immigration officer smiled when I offered photos but said that there was no need for them.

This week I will apply for my 2nd renewal in Bangkok (just moved in October) and have not had time to take new photos. Can I use old inside the house photos from our Korat house? Who would know the difference? And perhaps one quick photo in front of our new Bangkok house with the house number?

Is it ok to print the photo on plain paper in black and white or does it need to be a regular color photo print?

I don't know much about immigration's follow up (e.g knocking at your doorstep) but I wonder why someone would provide false documents when the correct one are so easily available like in your case: I just don't get it

Why would one take the risk to be caught in something Immigration officers would consider a fraud and might lead to the cancellation of a so coveted visa when it is only a matter of minutes to take some pix?

Mind you you could always say that you have redorated...

As you already have the time to get photographed at your doorstep just bear a bit more and take pix of the inside as well

I don't know much about immigration's follow up (e.g knocking at your doorstep) but I wonder why someone would provide false documents when the correct one are so easily available like in your case: I just don't get it

Why would one take the risk to be caught in something Immigration officers would consider a fraud and might lead to the cancellation of a so coveted visa when it is only a matter of minutes to take some pix?

As you already have the time to get photographed at your doorstep just bear a bit more and take pix of the inside as well

Agree! Shoot a bunch of digital photos and just stop by a camera shop on your way to Suan Plu for printing. Shouldn't take more than an extra 30 minutes or so, and CHEAP at baht 3-4 per photo.

Mac

Alyx,

Thank you - you now have me concerned...

"false documents"? I must be missing something here I thought that the photos are to show a family living together in Thailand and that it was not material where they are taken except for the front door photo as to date it has been my experience that are not at all needed. So it is a last minute thought to bring them at all.

As for followups I am sure that is only done here and there or with unusual situations I fall into the boring family man that typically shows up with a baby and wearing a tie to government offices and the officials are always friendly - so far.

Always a good idea to take everything just in case.

Agreed - I will also take the kids birth certificates in addition to our marriage certificate just in case. although I may leave the kids home as it is a long taxi ride.....

Agreed - I will also take the kids birth certificates in addition to our marriage certificate just in case. although I may leave the kids home as it is a long taxi ride.....

Yes. Take everything you can think of, but don't offer it all unless asked. Don't confuse them.

Yes. Take everything you can think of, but don't offer it all unless asked. Don't confuse them.

I agree - give them the minimum and let them ask for more. too bad it is not easy to bring the kids this time as the officials all seem to have a heart that melts and doors open up whenever we take them.

One of the many good things about Thailand is that the Thai love kids. I had to have a very minor 5 minute procedure done in a doctors office and my 2 year old was with me that day. The doctor told the nurses to play with "Nong" and they were happy to do so.

Alyx,

Thank you - you now have me concerned...

"false documents"? I must be missing something here I thought that the photos are to show a family living together in Thailand and that it was not material where they are taken except for the front door photo as to date it has been my experience that are not at all needed. So it is a last minute thought to bring them at all.

As for followups I am sure that is only done here and there or with unusual situations I fall into the boring family man that typically shows up with a baby and wearing a tie to government offices and the officials are always friendly - so far.

That is exactly my point: DO NOT TAKE THE CHANCE

As for false documents: I mean that you are (if) asked to present pictures of you and members of your family in your actual surrendings:otherwhise they wouldn't ask for a new set of pix

In any case , as suggested by evryone above, bring EVERYTHING along and if you are not asked this time it might be asked another time.

But sincerely, in your case, there is no cas, yet

I don't ever recollect providing photos of the house.

On the first 2 or 3 renewals of my O visa based on marriage we received

a visit from Sri Racha immigration. My wife showed the wedding photos and

a local signed to say that we live together.

Having said that, I agree with the idea of having as much documentation in hand,

just in case they ask. ID photos must be up to date, but I don't see why house

photos should change, unless you have painted the joint, or otherwise modified it.

Almost every year we renewed at Suan Phlu, we have been asked for "new" photos. They do not want pictures of "the house" but of "the family in their home", including one showing the house number. I think these pictures are in lieu of a house visit by the immigration police. One time when we watched her rifling through the documents, it seemed she was comparing the photos to older ones in the file to make sure the new ones were new. She paused a few times, because our annual staged photos look pretty similar in the same house and furnishings. :o

Is it ok to print the photo on plain paper .....?

I have the same question.

Do they (Suan Plu) accept color prints on plain paper?

In April this year was the first time they asked for photos (had them prepared - no problem) after having extended my stay based on marriage for the past ten years on same visa!

No Imm officer has ever visited us.

I observed that they glue selected photos on an A4 sheet. Wouldn't it make sense if we can submit our prints on plain A4 paper (less work for them)?

opalhort

Considering the experiences people have had here, I'd expect the following if you brought in printouts with multiple photos on A4 paper:

1. The officer mutters, "crazy farang"
  2. The officer cuts out the individual pictures or has a young intern do it
  3. The officer pastes the cutouts back onto an A4 sheet

They might even be in a different order than they were to start with, but I wouldn't count on it! :o

Thank you everyone - I went ahead and had several photos taken of my wife, baby and myself around the house and by the house number and printed them out at the local photo shop.

Be prepared is a good motto! Is that the boy scout motto?

Here's my little contribution based on 4 times 1-year extension where I've faithfully brought along the requested samples from the family album every year:

1. year: The couldn't care less - just shuffled them away.

2. year: Same as first year.

3. year: Same as first and second year.

4. year: They kept them.

Why the change? It can't possibly because they liked the 4.th year photos better than the preceding ones because it were the very same photos presented throughout. Oh my God, I realize I better pick some other samples from the family album next time. Are Thai immigration officers making themselves ridiculous? - Yes!

"Agreed - I will also take the kids birth certificates in addition to our marriage certificate just in case."

I think the birth certificate is one of the items on their required documents list.

The children’s birth certificates count as part of the evidence that your marriage is de facto (has been consummated). If they are not in school, bring them along to present the picture of a happy family to the immigration officer.

--

Maestro

"Agreed - I will also take the kids birth certificates in addition to our marriage certificate just in case."

I think the birth certificate is one of the items on their required documents list.

The children's birth certificates count as part of the evidence that your marriage is de facto (has been consummated). If they are not in school, bring them along to present the picture of a happy family to the immigration officer.

--

Maestro

You are correct - bringing our 2 year old daughter works wonders everywhere - but she is in school now which comes first so they shall have to rely on birth certificates this time.....