The "bangkok Lung Infection"

girlx

About once every other month I get a horrible lung infection in Bangkok- sometimes it starts with a head cold and sometimes it is just a sore throat at first, but I get so wiped out that I sleep most of the day for the first two days of it, and then it moves to my chest. I develop a deep, rumbling, thick cough that lasts about a week or even longer, sometimes with fever, and then it goes away. Do other people get this too here and does anyone know what exactly it is? I don't want to take antibiotics because I get it so often.

If you can,move away from the hel_l hole and live for a few weeks away from pollution and check how you feel then.Bangkok is not the place i would live and certainly not to bring up a child.I have nothing but sympathy for people who have to work in that place.

Chronic sinusitis occurs most frequently in cities with high levels of air pollution. This leads to a chronic post nasal discharge, (accounts for the sore throat) the infected discharge which is then often aspirated into the lungs and may lead to a chronic "sino-bronchitis". Antibiotics are usually not the answer.

Steam rooms or other methods of humidifying the sinuses and airways helps but in susceptible individuals, this may become a chronic problem. Try and avoid air conditioning as much as possible.

With recurrent infections, it would be good to have an evaluation of the sinuses and perhaps a chest X-ray done to exclude any underlying disease or structural problem.

In the Middle East, frequent upper respiratory tract infections are common. This is partly due to dust or dust storms when the shamal winds bring dust and other micro-sediment (which can contain viruses, bacteria, fungi and even residues of pesticides) from the Sahara and West African region across the mid east. June and July are peak months for this. In general, I think this is a bigger health issue in countries such as Qatar, coastal regions of Saudi and the Emirates than in Bangkok.

About once every other month I get a horrible lung infection in Bangkok- sometimes it starts with a head cold and sometimes it is just a sore throat at first, but I get so wiped out that I sleep most of the day for the first two days of it, and then it moves to my chest. I develop a deep, rumbling, thick cough that lasts about a week or even longer, sometimes with fever, and then it goes away. Do other people get this too here and does anyone know what exactly it is? I don't want to take antibiotics because I get it so often.

pollution, do you smoke also ? some get it worse than others.

In the Middle East, frequent upper respiratory tract infections are common. This is partly due to dust or dust storms when the shamal winds bring dust and other micro-sediment (which can contain viruses, bacteria, fungi and even residues of pesticides) from the Sahara and West African region across the mid east. June and July are peak months for this. In general, I think this is a bigger health issue in countries such as Qatar, coastal regions of Saudi and the Emirates than in Bangkok.
yep. with us its in may/june and august september... every year..... from the winds out of egypt.

I don't have any medical training, but have got to know the ropes and think the following is sensible:

Upper respiratory tract infections are much more common in Bangkok, no guesses as to why. Pollutants and irritants produce mucous which bacteria thrives on. Another poster is right to ask about your sinus health and I would also ask the same of your throat. You see the effect is clearly on your chest but it could be that it is starting higher up, that's quite usual. UTRI tends to rove too, and is typically cyclical as you describe.

As a sufferer (with my nose) I wouldn't hesitate to use antibiotics under medical supervision, short term use almost certainly will not harm you. Although classed as low level, clearly you suffer and repeated infections can really bring you down. the fever and headaches are particularly wearing.

You might want an xray of your chest purely as a precaution.

The obvious cure is to extricate yourself from Bangkok, otherwise you need a mask, some drugs to keep your chest clear, and lots of indoor exercise such as running on a treadmill.

IMHO you need a course of low dose antibiotics. Discuss it with a doctor.

Although not serious, you really need to get on top of this.

I too dread when I get a chest infection in Thailand.

I think it's fairly common for colds etc to progress to chesty coughs and chest infections.

True the pollution will not help as it's a big irritant. However I think it's also the hot humid conditions.

Bacteria etc love hot damp conditions.

I too wouldn't suggest antibiotics as too much use will make them useless in the future.

You just have to stick it out with cough syrup and tablets etc for that sort of thing.

If it's very bad can get cortico steroids. Lots of rest and water. Also eat lots of fresh fruit

to boost the immune system.

To add to the above comments --

Many people have a subclinical/undiagnosed reactive airway component in the picture, like having a case of asthma so mild it was never noticed. In the setting of an upper respiratory infection as you describe, it can cause constriction of the airways. It may not be noticeable enough to cause audible wheezing, but it can make it almost impossible to clear the airways by normal coughing. That sets up a scenario where the infection progresses to the lungs/bronchi.

Some people find that a metered dose inhaler can help open the airways so they can be cleared. I am referring to a "beta agonist" such as albuterol.

Since you say it does indeed start with a head cold and sore throat, there is always the potential for sinus drainage that is completely unrecognized, especially at night and/or when sleeping.

Therefore some also find it important, especially in the early stages, to dry up the sinuses at night/while sleeping, to avoid the potential for the infection getting a foothold in the bronchi. This is accomlished with a decongestant and/or antihistamine. These are available over the counter. Products like Nyquil contain both, plus a touch of alcohol and cough suppressant for sleep and rest.

Some of the decongestants shouldn't be used by people with hypertension. The beta agonist inhalers can make the heart beat faster but most people tolerate it pretty well.

Sorry I don't remember if you smoke, but of course just being in smoky venues doesn't help either.

Good luck!

:o

Oh yeah one more thing, hand-to-hand contact is one of the most common ways for these bugs spread!

I too dread when I get a chest infection in Thailand.

I think it's fairly common for colds etc to progress to chesty coughs and chest infections.

True the pollution will not help as it's a big irritant. However I think it's also the hot humid conditions.

Bacteria etc love hot damp conditions.

I too wouldn't suggest antibiotics as too much use will make them useless in the future.

You just have to stick it out with cough syrup and tablets etc for that sort of thing.

If it's very bad can get cortico steroids. Lots of rest and water. Also eat lots of fresh fruit

to boost the immune system.

I think antibiotics are justified when are good grounds to suspect a bacterial infection, and the person is suffering, eg, fever. Resistance usually occurs through misuse of the drugs, eg, failing to complete a prescribed course. The drugs prescribed are probably at the end of their working lives anyway, and are soon to be replaced by better drugs I think.

Dry scratchy throat and constant coughing???

Had that last year, it was awful. Constantly coughing, couldnt sleep, lost 10kgs in 2-3weeks.

Went to hospital, full chest xray and diagnosed with respitory tract infection. It has to do with all the pollution in the area. Doesnt help with the skytrain being build adding more dust to the air. Plus I walked to work every day.

Wear one of those 3M mask when you're out. It helps alot.

Also go to the docs, they will prescribe some antibiotics (I got the super strength ones) plus some cough supprecents. Then hope for a speedy recovery.

Dry scratchy throat and constant coughing???

Had that last year, it was awful. Constantly coughing, couldnt sleep, lost 10kgs in 2-3weeks.

Went to hospital, full chest xray and diagnosed with respitory tract infection. It has to do with all the pollution in the area. Doesnt help with the skytrain being build adding more dust to the air. Plus I walked to work every day.

Wear one of those 3M mask when you're out. It helps alot.

Also go to the docs, they will prescribe some antibiotics (I got the super strength ones) plus some cough supprecents. Then hope for a speedy recovery.

And indeed is this not the way it is in Bangkok? Walking to work was a bit of an error though! The "anti antibiotics" advisors need to take on board that advice that is fine in Farangland is not so good in inner city Bangkok. Please think first- it's just becoome ne of those glib comments. It annoys me especially because the advice also downgrades the seriousness of the problem.

I too suffered this when I "lived"(an oxymoron IMO) in Bangkok.

Also, but not quite as bad, when I briefly lived in L.A.

Solved my problem completely by settling in the countryside. Other factors aside, the clean air alone is well worth the various inconveniences that go with living out in the boondocks. (Even the bat that got lose in the house a few weeks back..and even the rare scorpion sting. And that's saying something!). .

Of course it's often not easy to move, issues of job availability etc, but personally I decided some time back that clean healthy air to breath was a major criteria for where I would live....

Also, but not quite as bad, when I briefly lived in L.A.

Solved my problem completely by settling in the countryside. Other factors aside, the clean air alone is well worth the various inconveniences that go with living out in the boondocks. (Even the bat that got lose in the house a few weeks back..and even the rare scorpion sting. And that's saying something!). .

Of course it's often not easy to move, issues of job availability etc, but personally I decided some time back that clean healthy air to breath was a major criteria for where I would live....

I concur. Last week I went to Surat and problems over. Within 2 days of return my nose was burning and I felt like someone had jabbed a pen in my eye.

I guess BKK produces the perfect conditions for smog. I noticed the dryness of the air first, and then the awful car fumes.

I'm not sure I'd want to share a house with either a scorpion or a bat but I suppose it goes with the territory.

I have visited Bangkok twice and for the first week of each visit I had what you described real bad. Then travelled away from BKK and was fine. The symptoms return though in some cabs and room with aircon, not every kind of aircon, but some kind for sure.

...Solved my problem completely by settling in the countryside.

yeah, i never got this thing on the islands. but on the islands i had horrific allergies which were not much better. bad pollution there as well since where i lived my neighbors burned all their trash (plastic & all).

IIRC, we have established that you do have asthma, girlx, mild though it may usually be, in a past thread. It might help to get more aggressive in the asthma treatment whenever you get a head cold. In people with asthma, a head cold will usually lead to bronchitis and/or pneumonia. Wearing a mask to minimize the pollutants you inhale may really help. Get the filters on all your a/c units cleaned, and cleaned WELL. This really does sound to me like it is still being triggered allergically, so do all you can to remove allergens from your home.

After a week in BKK (our non-aircon house in Pakkred, aircon hotel in Suk soi 11) then the overnight aircon sleeper to Ubon, a night on the family farm and then a night in Nam Yuen I woke up with a sore throat that I knew from experience heralded wretchedness. So I grabbed some 500mg Amoxycilin caps in Nachaluay on the way to Pakse and headed the dam_n thing off just as the lung infection bloomed. Unfortunately it was cold in Pakse and on the return I stayed in the hotel behind Wrong Way in Ubon and the aircon brought it right back. Feeling poorly I chose to fly back down to BKK. Another week there, with a fair amount of debauchery, and I chose to stock up at Suvarnaphumi. Despite 2000mg / day treatments I sit now in bucholic, pollution-free Soccorro, New Mexico with a full-blown cold (though at lease the chest infection is gone). I'm sure the million-hour confinement in the back of a full Cathay Pathetic bus didn't help either. Obviously I swear by the antibiotics. If Zythromycin had been available in banoke I'm sure I'd be just fine now.

Girlx, an air cleaner/purifier will help only if it's a good one with a HEPA filter. If they have that they will be sure to advertise it. But yes, it could be very helpful if you spend most of your time at home. They vary in price a lot, depending on how large an area they are intended to keep the air clean in. A relatively small (inexpensive?) one for just the bedroom overnight could give you an idea of whether it's helpful or not for you.

Lots of microdust which tend not to drift away as the weather cools, bingo.

I had asthma here about 10 years ago, it went away after one year of 'puffing'.

Exercise helps, getting a weekend out of BKK every two weeks also, as living away from the great roads and not on them (Rama 4, Pahonyothin, Petchburi, Rachapralop come to mind)

Get yourself checked out for TB.... or at least that is what I would do.

eep!

living away from the great roads and not on them (Rama 4, Pahonyothin, Petchburi, Rachapralop come to mind)

yep i live on one of those great roads...