Are Modchip For Consoles Legal In Thailand?

NHJ

hi,

In my country(belgium) and i believe in the entire europe, this is legal unlike the states where it's strongly prohibited.

i was wondering if it was legal in thailand to fit a modchip in a console device to allow it to read backup games.

I know that backups can't be sold in thailand as i read police crackdowns happening sometime.

I would imagine it's harder to find a non-chipped console than a chipped one in Thailand.

That's more than sure!!

I think you don't need to worry about, only that the warranty is gone while using a modded Box.

Cheers.

yes of course it wil be hard to find a unit wich is not modified already, i was just curious about the legal aspect since i met a thai friend who sells copy dvd in samui and that day the police of bangkok came to crackdown on this, of course all shops were closed so i guess the police found nothing at all.

Remember, 1000's of things in Thailand are illegal .. but at the same time so many laws are not enforced.

Department stores do sell unmodified machines .... but, as said, these are rare.

If it wasn't illegal on TV to talk about illegal stuff, I would give some info that there are 1,000's of PS2 games to be downloaded through torrent sites or rapidshare. So I won't :o

Edited by sniffdog

hi,

In my country(belgium) and i believe in the entire europe, this is legal unlike the states where it's strongly prohibited.

i was wondering if it was legal in thailand to fit a modchip in a console device to allow it to read backup games.

I know that backups can't be sold in thailand as i read police crackdowns happening sometime.

dunno if legal or not, but easily done and available.

backups (or pirated) versions are sold everywhere.

I've been trying to find a legal copy of a PC game I want to buy, virtually impossible here, although I can find a copy no problem. Suspect a trip to Bangkok maybe in order if I want something legit.

Legal copies of PC games are easy to find in Bangkok. Pantip and MBK are the most convenient for me. Legal, Thai versions of PC games are generally from 300-600 baht. Search for zest on google and you can find one store, there are others but I don't think they have websites.

I have to admit when I first moved here from the USA I brought my PS2 which was one of the very few electronic devices I did bring with me. The only reason that I brought it was for my stepson to have a nice toy which he never had before. In doing so I also traveled to China for business a lot (actually lived there for a few years). Needless to say I bought PS2 games in China for less than $1 each and brought them with me when I came home to LOS. Duhhhh stupid me :o , I didn't know that these bootleg copies would not play in my unmodified PS2 console. Anyway my wife found a guy that said he could get my console modified for a mere 1000 baht then it would play all games.... I had this done about 2 years ago and it has worked great ever since....... I guess I have been lucky that the BIB haven't come to my house yet to check and see if my machine is legit.... :D

Zest has an online store zest.co.th and they sell legit games.

I've been trying to find a legal copy of a PC game I want to buy, virtually impossible here, although I can find a copy no problem. Suspect a trip to Bangkok maybe in order if I want something legit.

One of the few things I hate about my country.....

If you've bought it you should be able to do with it as you wish as long as it's not going to harm someone else. Don't know why these companies think you're just buying the right to use the machine and not the machine itself.