Why Do Some Ex Pats Defend Thailand At All Costs

bangkokrick

I defend Thailand because I like the people, I like its culture, its history, its diversity.

I dislike people who say Thailand should be more like the West.

To bash a country by comparing it to another is counter-productive as it is easy to find examples of digraceful behaviour in any country.

All countries have faults but all countries have good points as well (some countries' good points are better hidden than others though!).

Ex-pats who defend Thailand "at all costs" do not necessarily think of themselves as Thai but are probably enlightened enough to see that Thailand deserves a fair go against some of the vitriol published here.

Here here I totally agree with you theThai people are great they are a very proud group I have never seen so many flags of a country than in Thailand I believe it is one of the few countries in asia that has never been run by European countries eg Burma Loas Malaysia Vietnam Indonesia Singapore just to name a few the thais arer great people im married to a Thai lady and one day I hope to live permanently in this wonderful place issan area of course

That is one of those "The glass is half emty," or "Half full" statements.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I defend Thailand because I like the people, I like its culture, its history, its diversity.

To bash a country by comparing it to another is counter-productive as it is easy to find examples of digraceful behaviour in any country.

All countries have faults but all countries have good points as well (some countries' good points are better hidden than others though!).

Ex-pats who defend Thailand "at all costs" do not necessarily think of themselves as Thai but are probably enlightened enough to see that Thailand deserves a fair go against some of the vitriol published here.

Here here I totally agree with you theThai people are great they are a very proud group I have never seen so many flags of a country than in Thailand I believe it is one of the few countries in asia that has never been run by European countries eg Burma Loas Malaysia Vietnam Indonesia Singapore just to name a few the thais arer great people im married to a Thai lady and one day I hope to live permanently in this wonderful place issan area of course

The good news is that if you ever go to Heaven you won't have to learn to speak Thai.....because they won't be many Thais there.

A favorite criticism of Thailand is its failure to teach its young people to think critically. I have always found this criticism to be unfair as I fail to see examples of all the critical thinking that is meant to be occurring in the western world. No offense meant to the poster, but the above post is anything but an example of critical thinking and it resembles the type of one-sided misinformed opinion that is so common in the West; I blame a lot of this on Fox 'news' and its ilk.

Edited by sbk
off topic comments removed--sbk

Everyone has different experiences and perception of the world around them. I actually see very little of the “Defend Thailand at all cost” on this forum. What I do see a lot of, and this thread is a classic example, is when someone tries to put forth that there may be another viewpoint or side to a storey (usually how fuc_ked up a Thai or Thailand is because of a personal encounter the just experienced or saw) they are immediately branded as defending Thailand for daring to express such an opinion.

TH

It takes a lot of baggage you had back home to self exile yourself and become a minority in an Asian country. Each and everyone of you should look within and analyse what made you do it and the price you pay.

Sounds like you are jealous ...

Huh? In that case I did not manage to convey my message to you.

I suppose the comments that I really find strange are from those who claim that they criticise Thailand all time, because they care about the country so much. It reminds of those creepy guys who abuse their wives and justify it by saying that they only do it because they love their wife so much.

sbk: is that back on topic enough for ya? :o

Edited by garro

As an accountant, I don't say "The glass is half-empty or half-full", I say "The glass is twice as big as it needs to be!"

Surely it's up to one's self to decide what to defend and what not to defend? I love Thailand but I don't defend corruption, nor does anyone else on this forum. (I hope, or I'll be wrong!)

They may not defend wrong things that go on in Thailand but some deny they occur

Maybe it is but it definately needs a full stop someone in there... :o

• 2 weeks later...

I believe you can defend Thailand and still not think of yourself as Thai. I love Thailand and never considered myself Thai or ever wanted to. I was reading this book about Jim Thompson the silk merchant. It says, " Thompson lived in a Thai house, preferred Thai food, and was passionately interested in anything concerning the country, yet he had never ""gone native"...he had never even learned the language,beyond a few polite phrases (He did make a couple of stabs at it over the years, but finally gave up, claiming, not without some justification, that it was more dependable to work through good interpreters.) However, these attainments are actually not as welcome in Asia as one might suppose: the average Thai reaction to a farang who wholeheartedly adopts their culture is one of mystification rather than admiration, and he is generally looked upon as the misfit he usually is. An anthropologist would say he had kept his cultural identity...but even so he had become as intimately involved in the country as probably any other foreigner living in Thailand, and far more than the 'language experts' and 'cultural affairs' people who had supposedly been trained for the job." Thompson lived in Thailand for 20 years and never learned the language, yet he accomplished more than anyone who has lvied here the same length of time and can speak it fluently. I think the point is a farang doesn't have to become a THai or even learn to speak Thai to live there succuessfully.

Easy enough. They are just tired of all the whining and complaining about nothing. Everything is Thai women's fault, Thai parent's fault, Thai men are thugs ...etc. None of these issues could/would happen in the western world :o Yeah, it's such a terrible place that expats continued to come to retired by the boat load.

Please refer to post 2 - like looking in a mirror eh!

I believe you can defend Thailand and still not think of yourself as Thai. I love Thailand and never considered myself Thai or ever wanted to. I was reading this book about Jim Thompson the silk merchant. It says, " Thompson lived in a Thai house, preferred Thai food, and was passionately interested in anything concerning the country, yet he had never ""gone native"...he had never even learned the language,beyond a few polite phrases (He did make a couple of stabs at it over the years, but finally gave up, claiming, not without some justification, that it was more dependable to work through good interpreters.) However, these attainments are actually not as welcome in Asia as one might suppose: the average Thai reaction to a farang who wholeheartedly adopts their culture is one of mystification rather than admiration, and he is generally looked upon as the misfit he usually is. An anthropologist would say he had kept his cultural identity...but even so he had become as intimately involved in the country as probably any other foreigner living in Thailand, and far more than the 'language experts' and 'cultural affairs' people who had supposedly been trained for the job." Thompson lived in Thailand for 20 years and never learned the language, yet he accomplished more than anyone who has lvied here the same length of time and can speak it fluently. I think the point is a farang doesn't have to become a THai or even learn to speak Thai to live there succuessfully.

Is this true? I can relate as upon first moving here i bought a language book and set about learning the language , so now I can understand some , if spoken slowly but mostly from the context of the situation, but I really don't want to understand the chattering neighbors-or the rude comments from individuals on day to day business. When I need something done, I get one of the workers to call or go with me..Not knowing the language helps keep it tolerable- I realize I might have stayed in the west if I'd enjoyed the same ignorance.

Yeah...

I think many ex pats defend the culture so vehemently as its very important that the outside world view Thai folk as all smiles and grace, otherwise, realities of the importance of the sexual component might be exposed ...

A favorite criticism of Thailand is its failure to teach its young people to think critically. I have always found this criticism to be unfair as I fail to see examples of all the critical thinking that is meant to be occurring in the western world. No offense meant to the poster, but the above post is anything but an example of critical thinking and it resembles the type of one-sided misinformed opinion that is so common in the West; I blame a lot of this on Fox 'news' and its ilk.

You seem obsessed with blaming Fox News for all the ills of the world, even though it has not been around for that long and is not widely seen. Maybe you should examine your own "critical thinking" skills? :o

I think many ex pats defend the culture so vehemently as its very important that the outside world view Thai folk as all smiles and grace, otherwise, realities of the importance of the sexual component might be exposed ...

Do you mean because most men are here for sex/feeling desirable/companionship on some level? :o

Everyone has different experiences and perception of the world around them. I actually see very little of the "Defend Thailand at all cost" on this forum. What I do see a lot of, and this thread is a classic example, is when someone tries to put forth that there may be another viewpoint or side to a storey (usually how fuc_ked up a Thai or Thailand is because of a personal encounter the just experienced or saw) they are immediately branded as defending Thailand for daring to express such an opinion.

TH

I agree with you in general. Many posters who defend something about Thailand are merely expressing an opposing viewpoint to something derogatory posted concerning Thailand. I think I fall into this category myself.

I don't think that is "defend Thailand at all costs." Actually, I would think it would happen more as the people who live here, or even the people who live abroad but come to this website would seemingly have some degree of affection for the place.

However, there are a few posters (who I will not name) who seem to jump out of the woodwork when someone else posts anything which could be considered to be derogatory to Thailand and then lamblast the poster and ridicules the post.

Poster A: "What are the clean water standards in Thailand? I fell into a canal, and the water seemed rather dirty. Do I need to get any shots?"

Poster Defend Thailand at all Costs: "You !%&*#! idiot. You are the one whose clumsy fat farang @ss could not stay out of the klong, and you accuse Thais of having dirty water? Back in Ohio, the Cuyahoga River caught fire, and you think you are superior to Thais? What racist drivel. Get on a plane and go back home. Thailand doesn't need your pathetic sexpat dollars."

Edited by bonobo

Poster Defend Thailand at all Costs: "You !%&*#! idiot. You are the one whose clumsy fat farang @ss could not stay out of the klong, and you accuse Thais of having dirty water? Back in Ohio, the Cuyahoga River caught fire, and you think you are superior to Thais? What racist drivel. Get on a plane and go back home. Thailand doesn't need your pathetic sexpat dollars."

You are good. Can I use this when someone gets on my nerves? :o

You are good. Can I use this when someone gets on my nerves? :o

Why would this somewhat amusing post get on your nerves ?

Do you associate yourself with this post and feel guilty ? :D

Everyone has different experiences and perception of the world around them. I actually see very little of the "Defend Thailand at all cost" on this forum. What I do see a lot of, and this thread is a classic example, is when someone tries to put forth that there may be another viewpoint or side to a storey (usually how fuc_ked up a Thai or Thailand is because of a personal encounter the just experienced or saw) they are immediately branded as defending Thailand for daring to express such an opinion.

TH

I agree with you in general. Many posters who defend something about Thailand are merely expressing an opposing viewpoint to something derogatory posted concerning Thailand. I think I fall into this category myself.

I don't think that is "defend Thailand at all costs." Actually, I would think it would happen more as the people who live here, or even the people who live abroad but come to this website would seemingly have some degree of affection for the place.

However, there are a few posters (who I will not name) who seem to jump out of the woodwork when someone else posts anything which could be considered to be derogatory to Thailand and then lamblast the poster and ridicules the post.

Poster A: "What are the clean water standards in Thailand? I fell into a canal, and the water seemed rather dirty. Do I need to get any shots?"

Your post shows all syptoms of psychosis - in othere words of you being a psychopath!

TH

Your post shows all syptoms of psychosis - in othere words of you being a psychopath!

Bonobos post is fine, it's just that you're not intelligent enough to understand it. :o

Edited by Maigo6

You seem obsessed with blaming Fox News for all the ills of the world, even though it has not been around for that long and is not widely seen. Maybe you should examine your own "critical thinking" skills? :o

You have just accused poor Maigo6 of failing to read posts, but yet you are often guilty of the same crime. In my post above I did not attempt to blame Fox for all the ills in the world, but just as an example of lack of critical thinking. Please keep up.

TH

Bonobos post is fine, it's just that you're not intelligent enough to understand it. :o

Not quite true - just a little lazy to have read it :D

You seem obsessed with blaming Fox News for all the ills of the world, even though it has not been around for that long and is not widely seen. Maybe you should examine your own "critical thinking" skills? :D

You have just accused poor Maigo6 of failing to read posts, but yet you are often guilty of the same crime. In my post above I did not attempt to blame Fox for all the ills in the world, but just as an example of lack of critical thinking. Please keep up.

Is your brain getting too feeble to remember that this is a rather silly theme that you have brought up more than once? :o

You have just accused poor Maigo6 of failing to read posts

Yes, I'm devastated, I have never felt so abused in my entire life, thankyou Garro. :D

"You !%&*#! idiot. You are the one whose clumsy fat farang @ss could not stay out of the klong, and you accuse Thais of having dirty water? Back in Ohio, the Cuyahoga River caught fire, and you think you are superior to Thais? What racist drivel. Get on a plane and go back home. Thailand doesn't need your pathetic sexpat dollars."

:o

"You !%&*#! idiot. You are the one whose clumsy fat farang @ss could not stay out of the klong, and you accuse Thais of having dirty water? Back in Ohio, the Cuyahoga River caught fire, and you think you are superior to Thais? What racist drivel. Get on a plane and go back home. Thailand doesn't need your pathetic sexpat dollars."

:D

Are you a fat azzed Farang from Ohio who thinks he's superior to Thai's and is a sexpat ?

UG, you really do to feel that Bonobos post is directed at you, why ?

Association ? :o

What i found fascinating during the last days of the protests of the PAD was the tremendous amount of new posters showed up on the board. They would jump into heated discussion, with strong points of view, 90% would be using the same "talking Points" of Somchai was democratically elected, Thaskin was elected by the vast majority of the people,...etc, this usually started from post 1 and on.

It was almost like we were invaded by a psyops from some political group?

Another thing I wondered about was the fact one very vocal poster showed over 17,800 post....I have been on this board for just a few years, but around Thailand for almost 30 years, and think I post frequently, but 4 years and 17,800 post....get a life....

Bottom line is I think a lot of the bloviating that was taking place was orchestrated by outside forces.