Car Purchasing

rafael

Hi. Everyone.

u guys must hv seen the fortuner, which is my favorite car, on the road :D . I hv been planning to buy one next year. Rumor has it due to the world economic recession, there will be a massive price reduction in car sales. If u hv noticed these days, some of the American local car industries hv run out of current funds. A few days ago, I took a look on a HongKong car dealer website, comparing to the beginning of 2008, most of the car prices hv reduce pretty much. I wish I could get one there and ship to here. :D

Now, I dont see any obvious price changes in my dream car, but any of u also want to buy ur dream car next year? and anything u can predict abt the Thailand car industries in the forseeable future?

( :o hope u can understand my bad English.)

Edited by rafael

I understand the Fortuner is the #1 stolen vehicle to subsequently end up in Cambodia. Perhaps this would be a good place to get one that is 'nearly new' and still a bit 'warm'.

:o u sure? I reli dont wanna get a stolen goods, but fortuner no doubt is the best sales SUV in Thailand.

If you buy a new Fortuner next year you'll be buying a car that's at the end of its life cycle. Get something that's at the beginning of a life cycle, that way you suffer less depreciation.

why? did u mean that there would be a car placing the Fortuner soon?

If you buy a new Fortuner next year you'll be buying a car that's at the end of its life cycle. Get something that's at the beginning of a life cycle, that way you suffer less depreciation.

I don't think it will be replaced just yet, there's no competition to the Fortuner so Toyota will keep knocking them out and slaughtering allcomers with the highest sales figures, when they get some serious competition from a rival company, they may up the anti a bit to see off the pretenders to it's throne.

Until then, why change a winning formula.

They've just given it a face-lift, which is as sure a sign as you can get in the motor industry that something new is in the pipeline and not far off. If not next year, the year after.

They've just given it a face-lift, which is as sure a sign as you can get in the motor industry that something new is in the pipeline and not far off. If not next year, the year after.

Mind you alex, the Sportrider survived as a model with a few face lifts for a good few years.

If there will be any massive price reduction in car sales; then pray God to save our souls from Bangkok's traffic jam hel_l after :o

lol. That's why I choose fortuner to be my dream car. Big enough for camping :D

Rafael, don't get a Black one, they look very dirty very quickly, very nice if you like washing the car daily, I have the silver one, I don't wash it much at all, but it don't look too bad even when its filthy!

Then again, if you do get a Black one it does have its advantages, especially on this Forum, just mention you're a Black Fortuner driver and be prepared to be demonized by many posters here. :D

I may get mine sprayed black for that reason alone!

Mind you alex, the Sportrider survived as a model with a few face lifts for a good few years.

The motoring industry in Thailand though has now thankfully moved inline with Europe and America. Before in Thailand they used to get away with flogging the same old dead horses for years. The consumer had no other choice. Look at how many years Toyota squeezed out of the Soluna! Now though, you'll find the life cycle of a car is not more than about 6 years.

If there will be any massive price reduction in car sales; then pray God to save our souls from Bangkok's traffic jam hel_l after :o

lol. That's why I choose fortuner to be my dream car. Big enough for camping :D

Rafael, don't get a Black one, they look very dirty very quickly, very nice if you like washing the car daily, I have the silver one, I don't wash it much at all, but it don't look too bad even when its filthy!

Then again, if you do get a Black one it does have its advantages, especially on this Forum, just mention you're a Black Fortuner driver and be prepared to be demonized by many posters here. :D

I may get mine sprayed black for that reason alone!

LOL, is black reli that popular? It should be white. BTW, are these two color more expensive then the others?

I dont reli care abt the color (but I hv my favorite one in mind, which is grey :D ) if the price is nice, honestly, except the golden one (seems a little bit old). And call me crazy, I expect I can get a second hand 2005 AT fortuner between 600,000 and 650,000 babt next year. Previously, I was thinking it might come reli cheap if I determined to go for the MT, but I was reminded of the horrible terrific and then my leg would probably go into spasm.

BTW, it is reli nice meeting someone driving Fortuner. :D

Edited by rafael

The motoring industry in Thailand though has now thankfully moved inline with Europe and America. Before in Thailand they used to get away with flogging the same old dead horses for years. The consumer had no other choice. Look at how many years Toyota squeezed out of the Soluna! Now though, you'll find the life cycle of a car is not more than about 6 years.

Well, the reason why I picked fortuner is that its prices is becoming more acceptable. When I 1st saw the new CR-V's debut, it once overtook the place of Fortuner in my mind. but later I found its price has been staying tough, whereas the Fortuner has become affordable.

Edited by rafael

Hi. Everyone.

u guys must hv seen the fortuner, which is my favorite car, on the road :D . I hv been planning to buy one next year. Rumor has it due to the world economic recession, there will be a massive price reduction in car sales...

Unfortunately for us Brits, the possibly massive :o price reduction comes at a time of actually massive devaluation of the GB pound and falls in the stock market.

Fortunately, only a small portion of my assets are in the stock market but, even so, I'll be keeping my 5 year old pick-up a little longer. :D

I might buy a 4 door city car but I'll be keeping the pickup as I like it. The Fortuner has the Smart version which I understand is better all around.

I can't see them bringing in a totally new model for a while as the current Fortuner is based on the VIgo and presumably they would have to either separate that design (unlikely) or replace both models. Too much investment at this time me thinks.

Went to Toyota dealer in Pattaya yesterday, as interested in Fortuner. Miserable cow sales girl could hardly be arsed to get the keys for it, much less answer any questions.....

FWIW I own a UK business with 45 Toyotas in fleet, and was a little unused to the Thai sulky "don't sell to farang without gold jewellery and wearing shorts treatment". I've e mailed Toyota UK and Japan asking if they know of a dealer in Chonburi interested in selling a car.

I'm not holding my breath. Anyways, prob best to wait for baht to drop a bit - perhaps some blood on the streets in BKK should solve that over next weeks?

Was wondering if there is something weird in LOS that connects expats with a Fortuner.

I am totally anti SUV back home and when I 1st arrived in LOS. Absolutely hated those things, ugly, oversized, petrol guzzling brutes.

Now I find myself eyeing the Fortuner and thinking, maybe just maybe......

The motoring industry in Thailand though has now thankfully moved inline with Europe and America.

I wish I could agree with you. Import tariffs jack up the price of new cars to levels far higher than in the west. Down payments are higher and interest rates are draconian. One would be far better off just paying cash in one lump sum payment.

If someone has some data indicating that car sales in Thailand are tanking and prices are dropping, then I would appreciate a link.

We are looking at getting a new car (Toyota Fortuner/HiLux strangely enough). The dealer is claiming that prices are going up in January and trying to apply the high pressure sell to buy by the end of the year. I think it's a line of BS but it would be nice to have something to come back to them with to bargain for a lower price.

As for connection with the Fortuner, I like that it is a six-seater rather than 4 with cargo area. I also like that it is larger than the average vehicle, in terms of safety for passengers. I've personally always liked Ford products, but the Fortuner looks like a very nice vehicle and it suits our long term needs.

Went to Toyota dealer in Pattaya yesterday, as interested in Fortuner. Miserable cow sales girl could hardly be arsed to get the keys for it, much less answer any questions.....

FWIW I own a UK business with 45 Toyotas in fleet, and was a little unused to the Thai sulky "don't sell to farang without gold jewellery and wearing shorts treatment". I've e mailed Toyota UK and Japan asking if they know of a dealer in Chonburi interested in selling a car.

I'm not holding my breath. Anyways, prob best to wait for baht to drop a bit - perhaps some blood on the streets in BKK should solve that over next weeks?

Au Udom, Toyota, 20 minutes from Pattaya, just after Laeng Chabang on the main road before Sri Racha. Excellent service and do not try and cheat you. I bought with leather seats there, Pattaya Toyota wnated 35k extra. After seeing the Pattaya dealer sales staff and their service, I will never darken their doors again.

Was wondering if there is something weird in LOS that connects expats with a Fortuner.

I am totally anti SUV back home and when I 1st arrived in LOS. Absolutely hated those things, ugly, oversized, petrol guzzling brutes.

I think it's the lack of choice and the sky high prices of any imported car.

I own a Fortuner and it suits me fine, 3 years old in January, never missed a beat in nearly 60,000 Kms, I have removed the last row of seats completely so its a 5 seater with a big load space, fold the rear seats forward and its cavernous.

I've been through deep flood water, across waterlogged grass fields, up hill and down dale and in my aunties chamber, it goes pretty much anywhere. :o

I've pulled 2WD pickups out of their muddy resting places in farmtracks, I have a house in Isaan and I've never been stuck anywhere and we have a lot of farmland and really heavy rain this year, lots of mud etc, never a problem.

Then get her cleaned and cruise off to the city and she'll sit on the road at 140kph all day without breaking sweat.

Overall I think it's a good motor, maybe if you live in a city like Pattaya it's a little big if you don't do much travelling, but a good all rounder nevertheless.

Overall I think it's a good motor, maybe if you live in a city like Pattaya it's a little big if you don't do much travelling, but a good all rounder nevertheless.

Motors great, shame about the brakes - useless.

Heard rumours of a new model fortuner out at the end of the year?

The motoring industry in Thailand though has now thankfully moved inline with Europe and America.

I wish I could agree with you. Import tariffs jack up the price of new cars to levels far higher than in the west. Down payments are higher and interest rates are draconian. One would be far better off just paying cash in one lump sum payment.

New cars far higher than the West? We are talking here about Toyota, and if we look at the prices of this brand, or that of Honda, i think you'll find them pretty identical to the prices in Europe. America might be cheaper but Europe i think not.

My comment about the motoring industry having come into line with the West though wasn't so much about prices and payments, but to do with the model life span.

And for those who think that the Fortuner will be about a lot longer because of its ties to the Vigo, i think you are wrong. Both of these cars will be replaced by about 2010, if not earlier.

I think it's the lack of choice and the sky high prices of any imported car.

I own a Fortuner and it suits me fine, 3 years old in January, never missed a beat in nearly 60,000 Kms, I have removed the last row of seats completely so its a 5 seater with a big load space, fold the rear seats forward and its cavernous.

I've been through deep flood water, across waterlogged grass fields, up hill and down dale and in my aunties chamber, it goes pretty much anywhere. :o

I've pulled 2WD pickups out of their muddy resting places in farmtracks, I have a house in Isaan and I've never been stuck anywhere and we have a lot of farmland and really heavy rain this year, lots of mud etc, never a problem.

Then get her cleaned and cruise off to the city and she'll sit on the road at 140kph all day without breaking sweat.

I have to agree with you there. Not many "affordable" good looking cars here.

Maybe its my canuckness/TO-ness but buying a vehicle that cost more then a house seems wrong.

But then again I dont have soooo much $$ that I dont know what to do with it.

And for those who think that the Fortuner will be about a lot longer because of its ties to the Vigo, i think you are wrong. Both of these cars will be replaced by about 2010, if not earlier.

Forgive me for playing Devil's advocate but do you have any evidence to back up that claim or are you just whistling Dixie ?

I guess not or you would know just when they would be replaced, not "by about 2010, if not earlier".

I agree that I think they perhaps should / could be but in this economic climate with them outselling all rivals, why bother replacing them ?

Forgive me for playing Devil's advocate but do you have any evidence to back up that claim or are you just whistling Dixie ?

I guess not or you would know just when they would be replaced, not "by about 2010, if not earlier".

I agree that I think they perhaps should / could be but in this economic climate with them outselling all rivals, why bother replacing them ?

In general manufactorers never tell you when they are going to replace a model as it obviously effects sales of the model they are trying to flog at the present time. With that being the case, i can't categorically say when any car is going to be replaced more than anyone else can. One can however use a rule of thumb. The life spans of the previous model Vios, Altis, Camry, Jazz, City, Accord were all about 6 or 7 years. It's my belief that the Fortuner/Vigo will be no different. If you think different fair enough. Let's revisit this topic in 2010 and see who was right :o