Shipping A Bike From Chiang Mai To Phuket

jbeck

hi

i heard that you can bring a bike to the post office and they'll put it on a truck to your destination for around 700baht.

Has anyone ACTUALLY done this?

How does it work - you pick up at post office at destination?

Is is safe?

How long does it take?

How much did it cost?

Thank you very much!

Jeff

never heard of that and to be sure if it was my bike i would not let any one i dont trust take it.

you could put it on the train. best bet strap it to a pallet then put on the train. or just go down with it. then ride the rest of the way to Phuket. or if its a real nice bike i will ride it down for ya you just pay gas and food :o

hi

i heard that you can bring a bike to the post office and they'll put it on a truck to your destination for around 700baht.

Is is safe?

How long does it take?

How much did it cost?

Thank you very much!

Jeff

Jeff

How much does it cost? How long does it take? Tough questions, so why not pop along to the Mae Ping Post Office & ask the P.O. staff for the right answer. They have posted many motorbikes from there.

65072211_MCiVV-S.jpg

65072215_94DkT-S.jpg

The service is called Logis Post. It's safe & reliable.

Post office is the best way to send it down.

I did it last year & again a few days ago. It cost me just under 2400THB from Chiang Mai to Phuket.

You will need copies of either the bike book or bill of sale if new and your passport and then fill out the shipping label. They take the bike and the key and take things pretty seriously.

Although quoted 3 days, last year it took about 10. They can tell you where the bike is by checking on their intranet and see where it was last scanned. Last year the bike was stuck in Chompoon for 1/2 of that time. I was suspicious, but the bike was in perfect shape when I picked it up.

No one called me when it did arrive. I checked every few days at the post office in Patong then had to go to Phuket Town to pick it up. Of course I needed the same documents I used to send it down (passport, etc) and had to sign for it. The bike was kept in a lockup. It looked as good as new, after he put back on the mirrors.

Of course, the gasoline was drained for the trip. You'll want to bring a bit with you to make picking it up easier.

I did it last year & again a few days ago. It cost me just under 2400THB from Chiang Mai to Phuket.

You will need copies of either the bike book or bill of sale if new and your passport and then fill out the shipping label. They take the bike and the key and take things pretty seriously.

Although quoted 3 days, last year it took about 10. They can tell you where the bike is by checking on their intranet and see where it was last scanned. Last year the bike was stuck in Chompoon for 1/2 of that time. I was suspicious, but the bike was in perfect shape when I picked it up.

No one called me when it did arrive. I checked every few days at the post office in Patong then had to go to Phuket Town to pick it up. Of course I needed the same documents I used to send it down (passport, etc) and had to sign for it. The bike was kept in a lockup. It looked as good as new, after he put back on the mirrors.

Of course, the gasoline was drained for the trip. You'll want to bring a bit with you to make picking it up easier.

THANKS

the reason i cant check is because im in hawaii.

i'm moving to thailand and went to spend the first month in chiang mai, then phuket

and i want to buy right away and not rent one

BUT if the shipping the bike thing was a rumor then i would need to change my plans

so it DOES go from post office to post office - thanks!

altho - it's alot more than my TGF said..maybe it's cheaper if you're thai?

thanks,

Jeff

will I get he 'book' when I purchase the bike or do I have to wait for it in the mail - how long?

oh- you said OR the bill of sale -ok, I think this will work.

new airblade in red!

cool do I need to drain gas or did they do it?

thanks

jeff

I just used the receipts and bill of sale. The bike book and licence plate and sticker take 3 months. I'll go back and pick it up myself sometime next year, (but if (as is the norm up here) you leave signed a signed passport copy and instructions, they claim to send it.)

As for the draining the gas, they do everything. Just drive it up. They're pretty friendly bunch at Mae Ping.

Jeff, you mention a new Airblade in red. If that's the bike you are after and you are only in Chiang Mai for a month, why not rent one and then buy when you are in Phuket. Price should be the same from any Honda dealer. I'd rent you an Airblade for a month here in Chiang Mai for about 4K. Buying in Phuket would probably mean better dealer service as you've already given them your business PLUS you'd get a Phuket province plate rather than a Chiang Mai one.

Just my 50 satangs....

Cheers,

Pikey.

Jeff, you mention a new Airblade in red. If that's the bike you are after and you are only in Chiang Mai for a month, why not rent one and then buy when you are in Phuket. Price should be the same from any Honda dealer. I'd rent you an Airblade for a month here in Chiang Mai for about 4K. Buying in Phuket would probably mean better dealer service as you've already given them your business PLUS you'd get a Phuket province plate rather than a Chiang Mai one.

Just my 50 satangs....

Cheers,

Pikey.

are you a business? where are you located ? I may do that. Does it matter if the bike has a chiang mai plate in phuket?

thanks,

Jeff

surfer.maui at gmail.com

Ride it to Phuket!

A friend of mine went from Hat Yai to Chiang Mai 14 times on an old Honda Dream... granted that was a number of years ago and he was going to see his girlfriend :o

But, it's not a bad ride. You see the country in a different light once you've traveled her distances first-hand.

Ride it to Phuket!

A friend of mine went from Hat Yai to Chiang Mai 14 times on an old Honda Dream... granted that was a number of years ago and he was going to see his girlfriend :o

But, it's not a bad ride. You see the country in a different light once you've traveled her distances first-hand.

how will i carry all my sh*t? I could ship that instead.

but you know what? - i think I will take some long(er) journeys - later - i have a friend in hat yai - so good idea!

Just my 50 satangs....

Cheers,

Pikey.

are you a business? where are you located ? I may do that. Does it matter if the bike has a chiang mai plate in phuket?

thanks,

Jeff

surfer.maui at gmail.com

Have answered your PM with a PM back.

Cheers,

Pikey.

never heard of that and to be sure if it was my bike i would not let any one i dont trust take it.

you could put it on the train. best bet strap it to a pallet then put on the train. or just go down with it. then ride the rest of the way to Phuket. or if its a real nice bike i will ride it down for ya you just pay gas and food :o

ditto

ditto

Hi ,

ditto?

how can you say you never heard of it, when someone just explained the entire process earlier in the thread and that he's done it twice ?

Is that a useful ditto - are you trying to say he may be wrong or lying?

I don't understand.. this forum sometimes.

thanks

Well, I picked up my bike. I checked a few days ago and it was still in LakSi (Bangkok).

Yesterday went to the Patong office, up the back ramp, and got the fellow to punch the locator number in the computer and it was marked as having arrived/been scanned into Phuket.

Grabbed my helmet, a small waterbottle of gas, passport, and the bike papers and got a ride to the Main Post Office, Phuket Town. Bike deliveries are in a small shed in the back left corner of the lot. About 20-30 bikes waiting pickup, mine easily spotted. I was 2nd in line, handed him my Post Office reciept and my passport, signed on the dotted line and that was it. Another fellow put my rear view mirrors on while I took off the packing slip that was taped to the seat. He hinted that gas would remove the stickiness left over from the tape residue (GREAT TIP), and 2 minutes later, I was off...

... back to Patong on my new bike.

Checked the receipt and it was 2370THB, delivered in a week.

Well, I picked up my bike. I checked a few days ago and it was still in LakSi (Bangkok).

Yesterday went to the Patong office, up the back ramp, and got the fellow to punch the locator number in the computer and it was marked as having arrived/been scanned into Phuket.

Grabbed my helmet, a small waterbottle of gas, passport, and the bike papers and got a ride to the Main Post Office, Phuket Town. Bike deliveries are in a small shed in the back left corner of the lot. About 20-30 bikes waiting pickup, mine easily spotted. I was 2nd in line, handed him my Post Office reciept and my passport, signed on the dotted line and that was it. Another fellow put my rear view mirrors on while I took off the packing slip that was taped to the seat. He hinted that gas would remove the stickiness left over from the tape residue (GREAT TIP), and 2 minutes later, I was off...

... back to Patong on my new bike.

Checked the receipt and it was 2370THB, delivered in a week.

Cool - sounds easy and safe.

Now i just need to decide whether to rent a bike for 5 weeks in chiang mai and buy new in phuket, or buy new in chiang mai and ship.

Since I was wrong about it costing 'only' 700B, I may just buy a new one when I get to phuket.

But I'm sure I will ship in the future when I travel to different parts of the kingdom and stay several months at a time.

Thanks misterme!

Just to add to this.. As Pikey says earlier it would be a smarter plan to rent for one month then buy from the deaer your located next to, to ensure a more helpful warranty and service relationship, plus plate plus etc etc etc..

The logi Post system I have had 2 experiences with.. IIRC CM to HKT was 2300 for sub 250cc and 2600 for over 250.. They would not ship a bike that didnt have a plate and book. If I was to use this system I would make sure the bike was very well wrapped in layers of bubble wrap and remove all bits that could snap off like mirrors etc, maybe thats my paranoia but it would only take a few mins prep.

All that said I just shipped the blown bandit back the same route.. Inter express (next to nat at piston shop in CM) did a door to door insured service for 3000 baht on a mid size 400cc.. Very reasonable, took 4 days including a Sunday and no messing about collecting it etc.. For me thats a better deal for better service.

I disagree that the warranty service will be worse. The last time I went in for my 2nd oil change, they started taking the whole bike apart. I was confused, but it was a recall of a part and they calmed me and told me that they'll give me a 'new part for free. company pay'. Not any different than I'd expect, but that's my point. Great service no matter where you have bought it.

I explained that I was short on time and he looked around and offered me another bike to use and I could come back in an hour. This was not a company bike. I'm convinced that he knew a small tip was coming and gave me someone elses bike to use for the hour.

I give the mechanic 50-100B tip each time I go in. They remember me and it pays off. I was taught to always tip the mechanic a little, even at home (where a case of beer was the tip). When you consider the hours put on your vehicle, it seemed like good advice.

As for having a Chiang Mai license plate as opposed to a Phuket one, I find it a great conversation piece. Girls sometimes ask, and I tell them that I'm 'Chiang Mai People'. The parking lot security also like to comment on it too. No downfall to a CM plate.

I don't like rental bikes much, because I have a choice. I love riding my newer bikes, never gone down, great brakes and good power. I think buying then shipping is just as good of an option to renting... IF you're going to buy anyway.

Of course renting gives you the chance to try a bike you may be considering... and the chance to see how it handles a beating.

hi

Is is safe?

How long does it take?

How much did it cost?

Thank you very much!

Jeff

yup, did similar - quite safe and esay

I explained that I was short on time and he looked around and offered me another bike to use and I could come back in an hour. This was not a company bike. I'm convinced that he knew a small tip was coming and gave me someone elses bike to use for the hour.

And thats a good thing ??

So your OK with him using your bike as a loaner when someone looks like they might tip ??

As for having a Chiang Mai license plate as opposed to a Phuket one, I find it a great conversation piece. Girls sometimes ask, and I tell them that I'm 'Chiang Mai People'. The parking lot security also like to comment on it too. No downfall to a CM plate.

Also out of province plates make for more chance of theft I would guess.. Not only the security guard that notices these things..

Also harder to sell.. Cant just go to Phuket DMV and have it moved to the buyer in a day.. Much more complex to first change changwat then do the transfer, if the buyer isnt a trusting patient sort it can ruin a sale due to the extended bureaucracy, costs and time.

Enough reasons to want a local plate.

And thats a good thing ??

So your OK with him using your bike as a loaner when someone looks like they might tip ??

Also out of province plates make for more chance of theft I would guess.. Not only the security guard that notices these things..

Also harder to sell.. Cant just go to Phuket DMV and have it moved to the buyer in a day.. Much more complex to first change changwat then do the transfer, if the buyer isnt a trusting patient sort it can ruin a sale due to the extended bureaucracy, costs and time.

Enough reasons to want a local plate.

Good points LivinLos and glad you & the Bandit made it back safely to Phuket. FYI, I was in a similar situation these past days having sold my XR440 to a mate on the island. The Mae Ping P.O wanted 2,600 then I went to the place where you sent the Bandit from and was quoted 3K. However, when I turned up today with the bike, it was 3,500 and the explanation was that the bike was taller. Fair enough as they probably pay by the square metre rather than weight. The other advantage is that their service is to the door so no messing about at post offices for the recipient. The company is Inter Express Logistics.

Hey, I live in CM! Does that make me one of the "Chiang Mai People"? Am I hip? I know I'm cool coz my nipples are rock hard every evening riding my bike up here in these current temperatures :o

Cheers,

Pikey.

Mail it works from one Postal Hub to another done it twice now, no problems at all. On the recieving in the drop a card at the house you address it to they deliver a card saying that person has a package at the Post Office.

Trucking them around for 700 Baht I don't think so.

They do a vrey carful inventory at the shiping point including any scratches ect. Like I said twice now and as far as I am concerned this the only way to do it.

Mail it works from one Postal Hub to another done it twice now, no problems at all. On the recieving in the drop a card at the house you address it to they deliver a card saying that person has a package at the Post Office.

Trucking them around for 700 Baht I don't think so.

They do a vrey carful inventory at the shiping point including any scratches ect. Like I said twice now and as far as I am concerned this the only way to do it.

unless iget a an awesome low price in chiang mai i'll wait and buy my new airblade in phuket

I think it's worhtwhile to make friends with the dealer that will be servicing the bike

do they have required services and come w/warranties?

in chiangmai i'll rent one from tony's

have you got any EFI models for rent? :o

kop kun maak,

jeff

Hi Jeff,

Not sure if the FI Airblade is out yet? I know the Click is out already. Anyway, to answer your question, all our Airblades are the carb versions.

For a new bike the service interval is 4000km (maybe more for the FI) and I think the warranty is 2 years.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Edited by Pikey