Si Sa Ket Fish Farm

bruceboy

I have been looking into business ventures to keep my wife Noi's family self sufficent. I currently send the family 40,000 baht a month but they often ask for more. My wife has suggested that we buy some land with lots of small lakes and breed fish to be sold. I think this is a great idea as it will teach my new family financial responcibility and give my wife a new outlook on life as she has only ever worked in Pattaya as a cashier. Does anyone have any experience with farming or small business ventures? Has anyone opened a business to help support their wifes extended family and give their loved one a more stable future?

I have been looking into business ventures to keep my wife Noi's family self sufficent. I currently send the family 40,000 baht a month but they often ask for more. My wife has suggested that we buy some land with lots of small lakes and breed fish to be sold. I think this is a great idea as it will teach my new family financial responcibility and give my wife a new outlook on life as she has only ever worked in Pattaya as a cashier. Does anyone have any experience with farming or small business ventures? Has anyone opened a business to help support their wifes extended family and give their loved one a more stable future?

On these open forums posters solicit other peoples' opinions. Mine is this. If you can afford this huge figure of 40,000/month (where does that go?), why "invest" more in a venture which will inevitably cost you more. In my 10 years experience few of these ideas supported by foreigners money end up in disaster. A friend of mine started with 500,000 fish and most of them have disappeared as gifts to the villagers -- he has made not one baht but lost a lot more. As always in Thailand, UP TO YOU

40.000 baht/month :D should be more than enough for your family to get a loan in Thai Farmers Bank, buy the land they want and start up to do whatever............... :D

If they already ask for more than your 40 k a month, they're already living a good life, but telling you the opposit......... :o

How large is the family needing more than 40.000 baht a month living in a village in Isaan ?

I have lived in Thailand over four years, two of which have been in a very small village. I have a sister in law that recently started a small business, Milling rice and a small store selling what the locals need and of course beer and spirits. While they are working very hard and trying to make a go of it, it will bin my opinion for them to really make a go of it.

Too many of their "shoppers" have no money and want credit, that and the mark up is very, very small. I have also noticed that as a rule even the farmers can not tell you the cost of growing growing rice and they do not keep records as to the output of the various fields.

If a family has a business they seem to make a profit. I only know of one forang business in my area which seems to be doing well but I do not know him.

My answer to your question is if your gf family can not live on 40K they will not be able to run a business of any type. Do have a question how ever does that 40K go to your gf and/or her family and does she live with her family? If she is still in Pattaya and her family is in Isaan they would spend more money. Just remember everyone will spend as much as they have and still want more. Do not become a walking ATM for your gf or her family.

Hi Bruce

You have recieved the type of information/advice that is probably do not what you want to hear. These posters are practical experienced expats and 'know the ropes'.

You need to step back a pace and just consider the situation IMHO.

You are dealing with poor people who think :-

1. Money grows on trees in 'Ferangland'

2. You have an unlimited supply?

3. You have NO outgoings/bills of your own.

4. You will GIVE them money and expect nothing in return.

5. You will not be nearby to control or supervise! PARTY TIME!

6. You are already being stitched-up by giving much more per month than 5 full time Isaan wage-earners in the family!

I am very sorry to suggest the above and dearly hope all goes well for you, but in business it is NEVER sensible to invest your hard earned money in schemes that you have no control over and to people who are inexperienced in business. Would you lend money to a family member who is a gardener and wants to open an opticians shop, for instance?

Why not do this in stages and pay for a family member to attend one of the many Adult Colleges and get qualifications in a field that you intend to invest in. That way there is commitment from both sides. Just an Idea!

Times are hard over here you know, bruce. Our shop is just about making enough to pay the electric bill for our freezers, I am sorry to say.

:o

Dave

Hi Bruce

You have recieved the type of information/advice that is probably do not what you want to hear. These posters are practical experienced expats and 'know the ropes'.

You need to step back a pace and just consider the situation IMHO.

You are dealing with poor people who think :-

1. Money grows on trees in 'Ferangland'

2. You have an unlimited supply?

3. You have NO outgoings/bills of your own.

4. You will GIVE them money and expect nothing in return.

5. You will not be nearby to control or supervise! PARTY TIME!

6. You are already being stitched-up by giving much more per month than 5 full time Isaan wage-earners in the family!

I am very sorry to suggest the above and dearly hope all goes well for you, but in business it is NEVER sensible to invest your hard earned money in schemes that you have no control over and to people who are inexperienced in business. Would you lend money to a family member who is a gardener and wants to open an opticians shop, for instance?

Why not do this in stages and pay for a family member to attend one of the many Adult Colleges and get qualifications in a field that you intend to invest in. That way there is commitment from both sides. Just an Idea!

Times are hard over here you know, bruce. Our shop is just about making enough to pay the electric bill for our freezers, I am sorry to say.

:o

Dave

You hit the nail on the head Dave I am running a couple of businees and I find it really hard

to pay all our bills when they come in and if there is some thing left I have to use it just to go on another visa run :D

Bruce,

Sisaket is one of the poorest provinces in Thailand. At this time of year the first thing most villagers do in the morning is go and catch a pot full of fish and fingerlings "free native fish". The water teems with these fish after the wet season. They grow and survive until well into the dry season.

My point is, where are these farmed fish going to be sold? At what price? and to whom? Perhaps to judge the veracity of the farm idea, you could pose these questions to the family.

Bruce please listen to the other guys ideas and feedback. This might be difficult as you are obviously well intentioned but I also live in the Si Sa Ket province and can assure you that:

1. Starting a fish farm in the village would be a complete waste of money - too many free fish available.

2. 40K baht/month is actually way to generous- maybe the family is genuine or maybe they are using some of your funds to remove debts, provide loans to others in the village that will never be repaid but gives your wife's family great "face" in the village, purchasing capital items they and/or their friends have never had before - eg. motor bikes or pickups that are usually done on a monthly repayment arrangement.

3. Be clear in your mind after discussions with your wife just who you are expected to support, why and how much - this is a very important issue that hopefully you may have already had.

I am not trying to be negative Bruce, just practical and perhaps a little pragmatic based on experiences.

Everyone's family is different ....but try to temper your financial support whims. Good luck mate

Hi Bruceboy

The prior posters sum it up pretty well. All said is generally correct.

$40,000 Bt is a very large amount to send for monthly support ---- but when you say: " but they often ask for more." alarm bells ring.

So you can better measure your support --- consider the income of Thai school teachers (80% of whom have BA or better):

"The teachers' salary scale is the same as other civil servants. The annual increment depends upon teaching performance, professional service and higher educational qualifications acquired. The salary scale of teachers is revised occasionally but the frequency of revision is not consistent. The salary of teachers in public and private schools also differs. Although some private schools provide higher salary for teachers, others pay less than public schools. The average salary of Thai teachers in public schools is roughly 150,000 baht per year or 12,500 baht per month. Approximately 37 percent of Thai teachers are on the salary of under average."

Anyway Bruceboy ------- I wish you the very best ----- tig

My wife and I don't live in Issan so I am not that familiar with the cost of living in the area. My wife does have a large family; the males of which are all unemployed so the allowance I give does have to stretch to a lot of people. I still intend to open the business as my wife is very insistant that we provide for the familys needs (there is no social security in Thailand!) but I will proceed with caution. I have been very succesful in small and medium enterprises and I could take on the role of manager of the farm during the start up procedure and then turn it over to the family once it is up and running.

Starting up a business in Isaan and having it be at least semi-successful shouldn't be that hard of a thing, especially when you look around and see how thais are doing it... however like other posters have said, it seems to be really tough and risky, especially if you're not going to be there. This is probably due to the fact that a lot of the girlfriends/wives of the farangs are unskilled or unaccustomed to running a business. think about it, wouldn't it be kind of weird wandering into a random town in the West and say, 'hm, i'm going to start a business here' with a 40,000 baht monthly allowance? I dunno, maybe I'm just terrified of taking risks with money, I'm sure it can be done. Aren't there safer alternatives with just building an investment portfolio for her or something?

bruceboy

I currently send the family 40,000 baht a month but they often ask for more.

don't live in Issan

large family; the males of which are all unemployed

the allowance I give does have to stretch to a lot of people

my wife is very insistant that we provide for the familys needs

turn it over to the family once it is up and running

undercover

Bruceboy are you sure your not winding us up ?

You've made 323 posts on this forum... obviously you have spent a lot of time reading other peoples experiences, I have a job to take you seriously

undercover--- you are a lot quicker than I.

I would never step in and tell other members no to financially support the wifes family. My wifes family is now my family and whatever they need i usually help them out. They are good folk and never want much anyway. Im sorry mate but if you are graciously sending them 40k per month and they are asking for more then they are taking the p1ss mate. You seriously need to get a grip on this. 99 percent of families in LOS would be over the moon if any of their offspring helped them out with such a handsome income. the other 1 percent wouldnt need it.

I hope this thread was started as a bit of a p1ss take

My wife and I don't live in Issan so I am not that familiar with the cost of living in the area. My wife does have a large family; the males of which are all unemployed so the allowance I give does have to stretch to a lot of people. I still intend to open the business as my wife is very insistant that we provide for the familys needs (there is no social security in Thailand!) but I will proceed with caution. I have been very succesful in small and medium enterprises and I could take on the role of manager of the farm during the start up procedure and then turn it over to the family once it is up and running.

My opinion of unemployed males in Isaan is that generally they are drunken layabouts. When you often see children, Elderly men and women and sometimes people of diasblility grafting around the village it becomes apparent that men that are not working are just being plain lazy. Yes some families lack oppertunity and some may have little or no land. Ask any Thai round these parts if there is any unfortunate situation where an able bodied male cannot earn some or little money for his family through a bit of elbow grease and the good folk will tell you abosultely NO

Weigh up this situation Bruceboy, I wouldnt want to turn my bussiness over to these people and i have'nt even met them. Sounds like your girls familiy has a complete inability to make money. Which in turn is what a bussiness doe's right?

My wife does have a large family; the males of which are all unemployed so the allowance I give does have to stretch to a lot of people.

Ever asked yourself or your wife WHY they are all unemployed? Please don't accept the "lack of opportunity" excuse. The males in my village who do nothing are simply bloody lazy and would not work in an iron lung - even if one had world class management skills. Despite educational limitations, the guys around my village who want to have a real go in life can find many opportunities to work - and they do.

So I find it impossible to accept your idea re any sort of family business opportunity, with you in a management role with the plan to later turn the business over to this same family.

After saying this, I am obviously pretty slow and took your initial query at face value - hope you have enjoyed the wind up mate!!

My wife does have a large family; the males of which are all unemployed so the allowance I give does have to stretch to a lot of people.

Ever asked yourself or your wife WHY they are all unemployed? Please don't accept the "lack of opportunity" excuse. The males in my village who do nothing are simply bloody lazy and would not work in an iron lung - even if one had world class management skills. Despite educational limitations, the guys around my village who want to have a real go in life can find many opportunities to work - and they do.

So I find it impossible to accept your idea re any sort of family business opportunity, with you in a management role with the plan to later turn the business over to this same family.

After saying this, I am obviously pretty slow and took your initial query at face value - hope you have enjoyed the wind up mate!!

100 percent agree mate.

In Isaan ther are people who work and people who CHOOSE not to work.

If Bruceboy has 300 + previous postings then it must be a wind-up. WHO? in their right mind would send 40K/month to Isaan? Personally, I find it insulting this guy should ask other "serious" members their advice/opinions whilst all the time he is taking the piss. No doubt about it, previously tv has helped members and some of these members have answered his questions in good faith. I would ask any moderator monitoring this issue to close it a.s.a.p.' cos it will only result in grief.

Bruceboy, my wife just asked me to devorce, and want's to mary you.

40000 bath is a lot of money.

KC

Ban nong keang, 10 clicks from town

My wife just read the post and I've got a funny feeling that she will be after Bruceboy too. We better keep this a secret before the whole female side of Thai community will be hunting for him. We don't want to start a civil war over Bruceboy do we. Enough people battling eachother in Thailand.

Arthur

My wife just read the post and I've got a funny feeling that she will be after Bruceboy too. We better keep this a secret before the whole female side of Thai community will be hunting for him. We don't want to start a civil war over Bruceboy do we. Enough people battling eachother in Thailand.

Arthur

Hey, Dont forget the LadyBoys of Isaan.

They would like a piece of Bruce too, I'd bet :o:D:D

Dave

Hi Bruceboy

Ignore all the above posts at your peril. If it is not a wind up then I fear that old saying "A fool and his money are soon parted" will be appropriate.

You say you and your wife are not currently in Isaan I assume that means you are abroad. Why not let your wife get a job and send home the necessary cash, I suspect the demands might reduce if it is from her earned income.

Beware

TBWG :o

Why not let your wife get a job and send home the necessary cash, I suspect the demands might reduce if it is from her earned income.

Beware

TBWG :D [/size][/font]

Good advice TMWG. Thats the sort of thing I was suggesting and shows commitment. Gone a bit quiet on the JohnWest Brucie front!

Mmmm maybe it was a wind up :o

Dave