Gulf Air Feedback

alyx

I wonder whether anyone has recently flown Gulf air first class fromm Bkk to Europe

I would like some feedback on it (not the usual 'well it is cheaper so go for it' or 'this or that airline is better' lacking supportive argument)

I am also aware of the airline having trouble keeping on schedule (or am I mistaken?) but I am more interested in the chzck in , boarding , in flight, lounges in Bkk and Paris

I'd appreciate your comments

Not first but business a few months ago, I would probably use them again on price alone.

Check in and lounge facilities were fine and the flight to The Gulf was in a nice aircraft new or recently refurbished. As the plane left Bangkok late and didn't makeup any time it was a bit of a rush to make the connection as there was no fast track through security for those in premium cabins or for those with imminent departures, but the terminal was not busy so made the connection as did my luggage.

My flight to London was in an old bone shaker and not as comfortable as the previous plane but it got me there, I did notice that first class was not much better.

Flight back was in the same or similar bone shaker, it again left an arrived late and was a bit concerned about the connection, this time the terminal for the connection was very busy,and my pleas to jump the queue due to my flight leaving shortly fell on deaf ears. Only when I cleared security did I ascertain that my flight had been delayed for five hours, which turned into six, and whilst the lounge was fine it's not designed for a six hour wait, especially with a flat ipod battery. Another old bone shaker, but it got me home.

I suppose it's the old adage of you get what you pay for, I paid cheap and got cheap, though I would probably use them again.

I wonder whether anyone has recently flown Gulf air first class fromm Bkk to Europe

I would like some feedback on it (not the usual 'well it is cheaper so go for it' or 'this or that airline is better' lacking supportive argument)

I am also aware of the airline having trouble keeping on schedule (or am I mistaken?) but I am more interested in the chzck in , boarding , in flight, lounges in Bkk and Paris

:D I flew business class from Athens to BKK a couple of times with them. Business class service was good on the plane. Once they had a meal of "middle eastern-mediterranean fusion" food which was terrible. However other times meals are good, at least up to or above standard for airline food. My particular beef was the layover in Bahrain. The business lounge in Bahrain was nice but closed at 1 a.m. in the morning. It opened again at 6, and served a good breakfast. However the schedule from to and from BKK made me do an overnight (arrive about 8 p.m., depart 8 a.m. next morning) in both directions. That isn't long enough to get a hotel room (and the hotels would charge for two days stay), but too long to wait around the airport. And with the business class lounge closing at 1 a.m.....I had to wait several hours in the departure area, sleeping on the chairs. I understand the schedule has been changed now, so that type of layover may no longer occur. I would be very careful however to check layover times before booking a flight.

The business class flight I took was at least 300 Euro less than any other airline. 300 Euro cash can buy a lot of beer (or whatever) in BKK. I would take Gulf Air again, but be careful to check those layover times. I've seen some layover times of as much as 18 hours. I would rather spend another day in BKK, and spend a little more for the fare, than spend time waiting around airports in the middle east.

For my itinerary, Athens to Bangkok, I can take Tuirkish Airlines, one stop, through Istanbul with only a 3 hour layover in either direction....versus an 8 to 12 hour layover in Bahrain each way. Or I can fly Thai, direct flight, with no stops.

:o

I use Gulf for the Dubai-Bangkok route fairly often, only in Business Class though.

Check in at Bkk is the standard routine. 1-2 counters for 1st Class/Business.

In Bkk they give you a card for Louis Tavern lounge (for Business class at least, may be different for 1st class).

Boarding - standard routine as well. 1st & Biz board first (after wheelchair passengers). In-flight service is (IMO) pretty good. I have noticed that even on the older aircraft, the 1st class seats are newer/nicer (but not like the pod sleeper seats on some airlines). On the newer planes, the business class seats are similar to the 1st class.

Bahrain airport though, as IMA_FARANG mentions, is not a place you want to spend a long time in. There is a lounge (upstairs, near where you enter the Duty Free area if you've come off another flight, across from Gate 15). I've never gone into the lounge though, as my lay-overs have (usually) been less than 2 hours. Boarding in Bahrain tends to be a "free-for-all" affair. As soon as someone mans the counter, everyone starts lining up, then they try and squeeze the families and (if any) wheelchair passengers through, before letting everyone else (regardless of seating) throng through.

I'm not sure why, but it does seem Gulf has been having some minor trouble keeping on schedule. My last trip (Dubai-Bahrain-Bangkok and back, Oct-Nov) had delays on pretty much each flight. Some were short and they made up the time in the air. (My Bkk-Bah flight in Nov was delayed an hour, which concerned me quite a bit, as my connection to Dxb was supposed to be 90 minutes after landing. They made up about 20 minutes of the hour in flight, and then my Dubai flight was delayed an hour any ways !)

Still, for me the minor annoyances are made up by the price and schedule.

Thanks

I have checked the schedule and the planes (seats are different depending on the day of departure) They are saying they have full flat beds (on some flghts) so I ll make sure to get the right flight if book with them

I am a bit worried about ' the first come first serve basis ' they seem to apply at check in and boarding

Food is being heavily advertised on the First (as well as the fltabed)

Any feed back on First?

Yes - I use them just about everytime I go to London - at least once every 2 or 3 months - the cheapest 1st class tickets you can get in Thailand (and you probabaly know that - thats why you;re asking isn't it?) ... well worth it, in my opinon - especially if you a big lad.

Its a 2 sector flight and often the Bangkok/Dubai or Muscat sector has an older plane on the route - which means you won't get a lay flat chair - but still, its huge 1st class chair and it none-the-less goes back to about 20 degrees from the horzontal - with full leg and foot rest extension (you'll sleep fine). Leg room is excellent excellent - as good as all the other first class services with other airlines. The food and silver service is just as good, the wine list is just as good. For the 2nd sector from Muscat or Dubai onwards to Europe I've always got a lay flat chair.

Go for it - absolutely worth the money - especially if youre a big lad.

Edited by Maizefarmer

Yes - I use them just about everytime I go to London - at least once every 2 or 3 months - the cheapest 1st class tickets you can get in Thailand (and you probabaly know that - thats why you;re asking isn't it?) ... well worth it, in my opinon - especially if you a big lad.

Its a 2 sector flight and often the Bangkok/Dubai or Muscat sector has an older plane on the route - which means you won't get a lay flat chair - but still, its huge 1st class chair and it none-the-less goes back to about 20 degrees from the horzontal - with full leg and foot rest extension (you'll sleep fine). Leg room is excellent excellent - as good as all the other first class services with other airlines. The food and silver service is just as good, the wine list is just as good. For the 2nd sector from Muscat or Dubai onwards to Europe I've always got a lay flat chair.

Go for it - absolutely worth the money - especially if youre a big lad.

Thanks a lot

No we are not big but I would like to go for a decent flat bed (as i said they are only on some flights from bkk-bah-bkk)

Do you have any experiences about lounges (in bkk no pb I know it is Louis Tavern: I ve never been there as I do usually fly TG; is it any goof?)

Bahrain: they said it is completely refurbished???

Paris: ??

Is there a dedicated counter for first class travellers?

Regrading fastrack immigration I do not really care for it

In any case your advice has been quite helpful along with the other one kind enough to answer

I have been roaming internet for days and I can only find bad reports about the airline (withstanding the food) but they date back to 2005 or before

Please continue

Thanks

too important to fly economy, to cheap to fly 1st class with a 1st class airline ... rofl.

Are you talking to me? about me?

Well my english is not that good so would you care to explain?

In any case read my first post : do not post any unrelated answer

too important to fly economy, to cheap to fly 1st class with a 1st class airline ... rofl.

Ooops just noticed you call yourself 'kash' as in 'Cash??' It might explain it then

And, Kash, you should focus on your own assets (if existing) instead of posting your unwanted unthought comments

By the way I think you meant 'too' as in 'too cheap' but you are too busy reading other people's posts instead of checking your own, I guess

Nonetheless, I take it that you are the type 'Money talks, the rest walks' well keep walking then

Having said that I will not bother adressing you in the future