My Wife Has A Question About Her Tambien Baan?

if we buy a condominium in both of our names can she then switch her name to the condo minimum tambian baan?

i am not sure what a tambian baan is exactly but whenever we want to travel to a country that requires a visa she has to end up making a very long trip to the home she grew up (is registered ?) to either retrieve the document or visit a government office in that area (bangkok).

thanks.

My wife got a new "blue house book" when she moved from her Village to our new home in a small town. They were in the same Province, but a different Amphur. She formerly had to go get the Blue House book of her Dad, where SHE and many of her siblings were also listed in this blue house book. There was NO COST at the local Amphur Office for her to obtain a new Blue House book. At the same time I received a new "Yellow House Book" at that same office. I had a previous Yellow House book in a different Amphur.

The KEY in this situation was to ASK in person at the NEW LOCATION what you MUST BRING, and I recall we had to have some paperwork done at the OLD LOCATION Amphur office to verify the "move". You had a limited amount of TIME to make the "move" from one location to the next.

My understanding is a Blue House Book listing for a Thai Citizen OR for an expat to have a YELLOW House book is not any proof of OWNERSHIP, rather a legal "Place of Residence". Example our daughter is now listed in the Blue House book of her Mom, but she has no ownership of the home.

Maybe other Forum members have done a similar MOVE from one location to a CONDO. TIT, but I can not see why a condo, apartment or house would be different. Again ask in person and write down EXACTLY what paperwork the NEW location Amphur Office staff needs for either your wife or yourself to obtain respective House Books. Seems to me that VOTING rights, and Government Health Schemes are highly dependent on where you "officially reside" via your listing in a Blue House book for Thai citizens.

Good luck and please post your experiences once you do the THREE visits to the two offices. In my experience a PHONE CALL to a local Government office is a waste of your phone minutes.

After we had lived in our BKK condo for about 2 years, my wife moved her official residence to that address and was issued a Tambien Baan book with her name on it. She was then removed from her mother’s. Her daughter who attending school overseas, is still on the upcountry one, I think she intends to put her on the BKK one when she gets back for school break. I was not involved with this at all, but it seemed to me it was not a real big deal for her to do this. She just came home one day and showed me the new book.

TH

The Tabien Bahn is similar to a voters register in UK / USA but used much more often as proof of residence here in Thailand than it is elsewhere.

There are different categories of resident in the book, the most important being the house owner (Jao bahn). If the condo is in both your names then your wife will be able to register herself in this category. If you register the condo in your name only then your wife can still go into the house book but will be a resident (yoo asai).

Either way she will be then classed as resident in the town and province where your condo is and can do all the necessary paperwork at the local municipal offices as well as vote there.

Hope this helps