Import Export To Canada

Hello

Does any one know of a company or companie(S) that deal with exporting to Canada. I am buying handi-crafts to sell there. I am looking for a customs broker to handle the products that I will be buying.

Any help would be thankfull for.

Bill

[email protected]

Edited by WilliamCave

There are lots of shippers in Thailand that can handle your products and do all the required paperwork. It's also helpful of you can send and receive Fax in the Thai language, not required but very helpful. Phone calls in Thai are also sometimes needed. You have to pay the shipping upfront and supply a complete list of the items and their cost.

It's a bit more complex in Canada. If you are in Vancouver you can do most of the clearance yourself but be prepared for a full day or more of work to get your items released from the warehouse. You will need a good Fax machine and a cell phone (you need the cell to call the place you are trying to find unless you are really good at finding hidden lanes and alleys in Richmond.

The process is not complicated but is time consuming. Once you have done it it's actually quite simple if you have all the paperwork. You will be informed when the shipment leaves Thailand and when it will arrive. You will get a fax from the broker in Vancouver telling you where the container will be unloaded and the timeframe for pickup usually 4 to 5 days and how much Cash you have to bring to their office. You go to Canada Customs in Burnaby and clear customs, They might want to send someone to actually check the shipment at the warehouse and pay them. You have to arrange pickup from the warehouse in that timeframe specified or very hefty storage fees will result. Also remember that all the paperwork has to be done before the warehouse will release the shipment so don't have your trucking company sitting waiting on it or they will charge you wait time by the hour.. Call them after the release has been completed.

If you live outside Vancouver you probably will have to use a broker. They will arrange everything but your costs will skyrocket. Be prepared to pay more for shipping, fees and duty than the cost of the items.

handycrafts,,,,, I hope you know what your doing most of thailands so called handy crafts are factory made junk and unless you have a reliable source in the north you get ripped off,,, If you want authentic handy crafts buy then in Burma, loas, Cambodia and ship them from thailand,,, I use Trans Air cargo their at the airport but the office I use is in Patu Nam market the bosses name is Mr Somkit they all speak english and give excellant service,,,,, you can even ask Mr Somkit about your product he knows a lot about the handy craft business,, but beware ,many have tried handy craft export ,,, few make $................shemmy :o:D

If you want a good intro to the basics of importing into Canada, pick up a copy of "Importing" by Anne Curran & Glen Mullett (Self-Counsel Press, ISBN 1-55180-041-1)

It has an up to date listing on customs proceedures, how to select a broker, and all the forms, codes, industry terms, etc. It's about $20-25 CDN, or in almost any library.

The uniform tarriff cataloges are also in most libraries, which list the duties on imports by item, and country of origin.

cv

Edited by cdnvic

handycrafts,,,,, I hope you know what your doing most of thailands so called handy crafts are factory made junk and unless you have a reliable source in the north you get ripped off,,, If you want authentic handy crafts buy then in  Burma, loas, Cambodia and ship them from thailand,,, I use Trans Air cargo their at the airport but the office I use is in Patu Nam market the bosses name is Mr Somkit they all speak english and give excellant service,,,,, you can even  ask Mr Somkit about your product he knows a lot about the handy craft business,, but beware ,many have tried handy craft export ,,, few make $................shemmy :o  :D

Thanks Shemmy. I am buying the products my self from different places in Thailand. I have been traveling here for some time doing research and know were to go and buy things and the prices. You are correct about Burma and Laos, I have bought things in MaeSot at the Burma border.

One thing is I will be going to Montreal with my shipment. I am hoping to rent a small ship container, I will fill a small one. I am still interested to find out about airfrieght. I tried UPS but the cost was over the plane price haha. Do you have a phone number for the office you use.

Thanks Shemmy any other info please send Thanks for the help.

There are lots of shippers in Thailand that can handle your products and do all the required paperwork. It's also helpful of you can send and receive Fax in the Thai language, not required but very helpful.  Phone calls in Thai are also sometimes needed.  You have to pay the shipping upfront and supply a complete list of the items and their cost. 

It's a bit more complex in Canada.  If you are in Vancouver you can do most of the clearance yourself but be prepared for a full day or more of work to get your items released from the warehouse.  You will need a good Fax machine and a cell phone (you need the cell to call the place you are trying to find unless you are really good at finding hidden lanes and alleys in Richmond.

The process is not complicated but is time consuming. Once you have done it it's actually quite simple if you have all the paperwork.  You will be informed when the shipment leaves Thailand and when it will arrive.  You will get a fax from the broker in Vancouver telling you where the container will be unloaded and the timeframe for pickup usually 4 to 5 days and how much Cash you have to bring to their office.  You go to Canada Customs in Burnaby and clear customs,  They might want to send someone to actually check the shipment at the warehouse and pay them.  You have to arrange pickup from the warehouse in that timeframe specified or very hefty storage fees will result.  Also remember that all the paperwork has to be done before the warehouse will release the shipment so don't have your trucking company sitting waiting on it or they will charge you wait time by the hour.. Call them after the release has been completed.

If you live outside Vancouver you probably will have to use a broker.  They will arrange everything but your costs will skyrocket.  Be prepared to pay more for shipping, fees and duty than the cost of the items.

Thanks for the info. Do you have any company names of Thai companies. I am starting to buy product now for shipping in 2005. I need some questions answered before I buy certain products. It sounds like you have experience with Canada.

I would like to sit down with you in the near future and buy you a drink and ask you some other questions.

Thanks

My email is [email protected]

If you want a good intro to the basics of importing into Canada, pick up a copy of "Importing" by Anne Curran & Glen Mullett (Self-Counsel Press, ISBN 1-55180-041-1)

It has an up to date listing on customs proceedures, how to select a broker, and all the forms, codes, industry terms, etc. It's about $20-25 CDN, or in almost any library.

The uniform tarriff cataloges are also in most libraries, which list the duties on imports by item, and country of origin.

cv

Thanks. Can I order the book through Asia Book Stores in BKK?

You can try this company. SM Logistics. Run and owned? by Canadians. They have a fantastic facility in CM, that quite frankly knocks the pants off any Thai owned forwarder/broker that I have seen in this neck of the woods.

Their speciality is canada, but they do ship to other places.

S M Logistics

TEL 053 263350. www.smlogistics.com

I don't use them myself, but I was very impressed with them. I have a long standing relationship with another forwarder to NZ.If I did not, I would use these guys, or at least give them a try. :o

Hi williamcave,, I've shipped many shipments to montreal successfully,,,, whether to use air or sea is not strait forward,, many times using sea saves you little....... if your shipping heavy things like statues(that you'll never sell unless you have a supply order from a interior decorator or such) them the sea makes sence , but if its textiles and light wooden handy crafts air is much better sea you have to pay for crating extra insurance positioning and bribe(tea money,, sometimes),,, Tac is great for air 165 baht per kilo min. 50 kilo,, in Mtl in 5 days,,, 50 kilo's is a lot of textiles and would cost the same by sea as they charge by volume..............tell me what you have and where you got it ................I'll advise...............Shemmy................ps where in mtl are you fom I went to Concordia for 5 years and lived in ndg..............shemmy :D:o

Hi williamcave,, I've shipped many shipments to montreal successfully,,,, whether to use air or sea is not strait forward,, many times using sea saves you little....... if your shipping heavy things like statues(that you'll never sell unless you have a supply order from a interior decorator or such) them the sea makes sence , but if its textiles and light wooden handy crafts air is much better sea you have to pay for crating extra insurance positioning and bribe(tea money,, sometimes),,, Tac is great for air 165 baht per kilo min. 50 kilo,, in Mtl in 5 days,,, 50 kilo's is a lot of textiles and would cost the same by sea as they charge by volume..............tell me what you have and where you got it ................I'll advise...............Shemmy................ps where in mtl are you fom I went to Concordia for 5 years and lived in ndg..............shemmy :D  :o

Hi Shemmy

I am actually going to be going to Ottawa with the products. Mntreal would be the closest port. The products will be mostly wooden handy-crafts, bamboo, some clothing, things that are light in weight. I will be selling them in my store on Ottawa. I am buying most of the products from the north of Thailand. If air freigt is close in price that would be the way to go. UPS is very expensive from the research that I have done. If you have a phone number or contact I will give them a call. I will give them examples of the products.

Thanks Bill

Hi williamcave,, I've shipped many shipments to montreal successfully,,,, whether to use air or sea is not strait forward,, many times using sea saves you little....... if your shipping heavy things like statues(that you'll never sell unless you have a supply order from a interior decorator or such) them the sea makes sence , but if its textiles and light wooden handy crafts air is much better sea you have to pay for crating extra insurance positioning and bribe(tea money,, sometimes),,, Tac is great for air 165 baht per kilo min. 50 kilo,, in Mtl in 5 days,,, 50 kilo's is a lot of textiles and would cost the same by sea as they charge by volume..............tell me what you have and where you got it ................I'll advise...............Shemmy................ps where in mtl are you fom I went to Concordia for 5 years and lived in ndg..............shemmy :D  :o

Hi Shemmy

I am actually going to be going to Ottawa with the products. Montreal would be the closest port. The products will be mostly wooden handy-crafts, bamboo, some clothing, things that are light in weight. I will be selling them in my store on Ottawa. I am buying most of the products from the north of Thailand. If air freigt is close in price that would be the way to go. UPS is very expensive from the research that I have done. If you have a phone number or contact I will give them a call. I will give them examples of the products.

Thanks Bill

If you would like to go for a meal in BKK I would be pleased to take you out and find out more. So if you have the time in the future let me know.

Thanks Bill

Edited by WilliamCave

Hi williamcave,, I've shipped many shipments to montreal successfully,,,, whether to use air or sea is not strait forward,, many times using sea saves you little....... if your shipping heavy things like statues(that you'll never sell unless you have a supply order from a interior decorator or such) them the sea makes sence , but if its textiles and light wooden handy crafts air is much better sea you have to pay for crating extra insurance positioning and bribe(tea money,, sometimes),,, Tac is great for air 165 baht per kilo min. 50 kilo,, in Mtl in 5 days,,, 50 kilo's is a lot of textiles and would cost the same by sea as they charge by volume..............tell me what you have and where you got it ................I'll advise...............Shemmy................ps where in mtl are you fom I went to Concordia for 5 years and lived in ndg..............shemmy :D  :D

Depends what you are shipping. as long as you are quite a bit over the minimum sea freight amount, then under most circumstances SF will be much cheaper than Air.

:o

With textiles(because they are lite) you can get into a situation where you are paying "volumetric" freight. This can be very expensive.

My advice would be to get a fully inclusive quote before you proceed ....and shop around. some freight forwarders are natorious for making a quote look cheap at one end,but shaft you at the other.

Hope you do well

Edited by chuchok

Hello

I am going to consider air transport. One thing I should have said is that I will be sending about 100 different items and there will be about 50 boxes measuring about 1 cubic meter sq, to as small as .5 (1/2) of a cubic meter.

So I am leaning towards ship cargo or any other advise I can get.

Thanks

Bill

Hello

I am going to consider air transport. One thing I should have said is that I will be sending about 100 different items and there will be about 50 boxes measuring about 1 cubic meter sq, to as small as .5 (1/2) of a cubic meter.

Thanks

Bill

I posted this in another thread. It gives you a good way of working out your costs if you have "lite" freight.

There can be a huge difference between air and sea freight. It's just a matter of doing the math.

What is the approx total wt/cube of the shipment?

"Density & Volumetric Conversion

Air Freight – Minimum Density

Airlines operate a charging structure that ensures they receive a minimum return for cargo space used. They do this by applying a minimum volumetric density ratio that is applied to any cargo that is light in density.

IATA member airlines and associates have set a space to weight ratio of 6 cubic metres volume for every tonne.

This converts to a minimum chargeable weight of 167kgs per m3 – which means:

If the goods being shipped weigh less than 167 kgs per m3, the chargeable weight is based on the space used – at a conversion rate of 167 kilos per cubic meter.

If the goods being shipped weight 167 kgs per m3 or more the chargeable weight is based on the actual (gross) weight of the freight.

The way to determine the chargeable weight of your airfreight cargo is to:

(1) Calculate the volume of the cargo, based on the freight dimensions:

L x W x H (in meters) = cubic meters

e.g. freight that measures 1.50 meters x 1 meter x 0.6 meter =

1.5 x 1.0 x 0.6 = 0.9 cubic meters

(2) Calculate the volumetric weight of the freight, based on the minimum density:

Volume in m3 x 167 = Volumetric weight (rounded up to nearest half kilo)

e.g. 0.9m3 x 167 = 150.3, therefore the volumetric weight is 150.5 kilos

(3) Determine if the chargeable weight will be based on the space used or the actual (gross) weight of the cargo:

The greater of the actual weight and the volumetric weight will be used as the chargeable weight

Example:

Your freight measures 1.80m x 1.20m x 1.00 and weights 120 kgs:

The freight volume is 2.16 m3 (1.80m x 1.20m x 1.00)

The volumetric weight is 361 kilos (2.16 x 167)

The chargeable weight is 361 kilos (i.e. 361 > 120)"

Hello

Thanks

Bill

I posted this in another thread. It gives you a good way of working out your costs if you have "lite" freight.

There can be a huge difference between air and sea freight. It's just a matter of doing the math.

What is the approx total wt/cube of the shipment?

"Density & Volumetric Conversion

Air Freight – Minimum Density

Airlines operate a charging structure that ensures they receive a minimum return for cargo space used. They do this by applying a minimum volumetric density ratio that is applied to any cargo that is light in density.

IATA member airlines and associates have set a space to weight ratio of 6 cubic metres volume for every tonne.

This converts to a minimum chargeable weight of 167kgs per m3 – which means:

If the goods being shipped weigh less than 167 kgs per m3, the chargeable weight is based on the space used – at a conversion rate of 167 kilos per cubic meter.

If the goods being shipped weight 167 kgs per m3 or more the chargeable weight is based on the actual (gross) weight of the freight.

The way to determine the chargeable weight of your airfreight cargo is to:

(1) Calculate the volume of the cargo, based on the freight dimensions:

L x W x H (in meters) = cubic meters

e.g. freight that measures 1.50 meters x 1 meter x 0.6 meter =

1.5 x 1.0 x 0.6 = 0.9 cubic meters

(2) Calculate the volumetric weight of the freight, based on the minimum density:

Volume in m3 x 167 = Volumetric weight (rounded up to nearest half kilo)

e.g. 0.9m3 x 167 = 150.3, therefore the volumetric weight is 150.5 kilos

(3) Determine if the chargeable weight will be based on the space used or the actual (gross) weight of the cargo:

The greater of the actual weight and the volumetric weight will be used as the chargeable weight

Example:

Your freight measures 1.80m x 1.20m x 1.00 and weights 120 kgs:

The freight volume is 2.16 m3 (1.80m x 1.20m x 1.00)

The volumetric weight is 361 kilos (2.16 x 167)

The chargeable weight is 361 kilos (i.e. 361 > 120)"

Thanks for the information, This is what I needed. Now I have something to work with. You gave me the answers on the where what and how to calculate the shipments

I am surprized how many emails I have recieved in regards to the same questions from Canadians.

Thanks very much...

Hi williamcave,, I've shipped many shipments to montreal successfully,,,, whether to use air or sea is not strait forward,, many times using sea saves you little....... if your shipping heavy things like statues(that you'll never sell unless you have a supply order from a interior decorator or such) them the sea makes sence , but if its textiles and light wooden handy crafts air is much better sea you have to pay for crating extra insurance positioning and bribe(tea money,, sometimes),,, Tac is great for air 165 baht per kilo min. 50 kilo,, in Mtl in 5 days,,, 50 kilo's is a lot of textiles and would cost the same by sea as they charge by volume..............tell me what you have and where you got it ................I'll advise...............Shemmy................ps where in mtl are you fom I went to Concordia for 5 years and lived in ndg..............shemmy :D  :D

Hi Shemmy

I am actually going to be going to Ottawa with the products. Mntreal would be the closest port. The products will be mostly wooden handy-crafts, bamboo, some clothing, things that are light in weight. I will be selling them in my store on Ottawa. I am buying most of the products from the north of Thailand. If air freigt is close in price that would be the way to go. UPS is very expensive from the research that I have done. If you have a phone number or contact I will give them a call. I will give them examples of the products.

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill contact Trans Air cargo,, it's in the book or just call the english information operator on any phone... talk to mr.Somkit(manager) they ship air and sea,but it sounds like air is best for you,, where's you store in Ottawa and are you able to move any volume of this stuff or is this your first attempt,,,, ps be very carfull with the wooden carving in Thai , ther junk and you can get the real deal in the upcountries of Loas , cambodia and burma.............shemmy :D:o

Hi Shemmy

Thanks Bill

Hi Bill contact Trans Air cargo,, it's in the book or just call the english information operator on any phone... talk to mr.Somkit(manager) they ship air and sea,but it sounds like air is best for you,, where's you store in Ottawa and are you able to move any volume of this stuff or is this your first attempt,,,, ps be very carfull with the wooden carving in Thai , ther junk and you can get the real deal in the upcountries of Loas , cambodia and burma.............shemmy :D:o

Hi Sheemy would you have a contacgt and phonenumber in BKK.

Bill

Just one more thing that may be handy to know. If you haven't yet picked a Canadian bank to deal with in importing from Thailand, there is a branch of Scotiabank in Bangkok. Don't ask me where....I wasn't sober when I found it.

cv

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone just starting out thier research into Thai products for export may want to check in at the Thai Export Promotions Department in Bangkok. They are really nice and can provide you with addresses of factories and manufacturers of just about every product available for export. That is the mandate they work under. They will even setup meeting, tours and provide meeting rooms for free at thier office.

They are very welcoming and helped me to get in touch with many manufacturers of body jewelry such as naval rings etc. This stuff can be bought cheap in Asia and sells for anywhere from $20 -50 per piece out at the mall in Canada. It's also light weight and easy to ship.

If you want a good product this may be it. Go out to some of the smaller stalls at the malls and ask them if they would be interested in product directly from asia. Most I talked to were interested and paying $10 for an item that sold for $20. The same item sells for $2 in BKK.

The companies will even provide catalogs ready for your company stamp on th back cover and you could get a great start for $5k with lots of stock and samples. When I researched this I had people sending me large amounts of samples for free, simply for the asking.

Setup a web site and get business cards and your looking like a pro and ready to go shopping at the factories.

Tony

The main site you'll want is:

http://importsource.ca

It's a site with all the federal and provincial regulations, as well as customs databases.

cv

cdnvic,

Thanks for the tip, looks very useful.

cheers,

john in vic

John when is your ETA for Thailand. If you want to we can get together. Vic is a nice town stayed there for some time my mom and dad lived there. Only problem is it was full of newly weds and almost deads. Just joking.

I am living in Bkk until June and I should be done all my buying and traveling by then. I would like to talk to you further about exporting to Canada maybe we can get something going together.

Anyone just starting out thier research into Thai products for export may want to check in at the Thai Export Promotions Department in Bangkok. They are really nice and can provide you with addresses of factories and manufacturers of just about every product available for export. That is the mandate they work under. They will even setup meeting, tours and provide meeting rooms for free at thier office.

They are very welcoming and helped me to get in touch with many manufacturers of body jewelry such as naval rings etc. This stuff can be bought cheap in Asia and sells for anywhere from $20 -50 per piece out at the mall in Canada. It's also light weight and easy to ship.

If you want a good product this may be it. Go out to some of the smaller stalls at the malls and ask them if they would be interested in product directly from asia. Most I talked to were interested and paying $10 for an item that sold for $20. The same item sells for $2 in BKK.

The companies will even provide catalogs ready for your company stamp on th back cover and you could get a great start for $5k with lots of stock and samples. When I researched this I had people sending me large amounts of samples for free, simply for the asking.

Setup a web site and get business cards and your looking like a pro and ready to go shopping at the factories. 

Tony

Hi Tony are you in BKK now? The export department you are talking about is it near Mong Tong Tani?

Thanks Bill