4wd Or 2 Wd?

chivo

as i am nearing buying a vehicle, i am reconsidering 4 wheel drive. i always thought i would go for it, but lately am wondering how often i would really use it.

so i am asking any of you who had a similar dilemna, what did you choose, why, and was it worth it? regrets?

I have a 4WD Vigo which I bought 8 months ago. To be honest I only went for this model because I preferred the look of it. Have actually used the 4WD a few times after getting stuck in the grass after heavy rainfall overnight at the inlaws house.

Must say I'm pleasantly surprised with vehicles economy. I've got the 4 door model and get 12km per litre in normal driving around the Buriram/surin area. Economy would drop to just under 11km per litre on a long highway drive at around 120kph. BTW, mine is also the automatic model.

4wd is the way to go,

why? ok put it this way, with heavy rain and alot of torque in stock form, you can easily slip, stick it in 4wd no problems!!!!

plus if you go for the 2wd, you will be limiting your truck to only in city, though 4wd gives you all capabilities.

that my opinion though

2wd four door Pre-Runner was the way I went. Gave me the looks of the 4x4 with the improved economy of the 2wd. Four doors means I can fit all the family in, plus I have yet to see the 3,0 L turbocharged diesel run out of 'oomph'. As mentioned by someone else, most other vehicles that decide to hit you are going to go up under the body of the Pre-Runner, and there's some gnarly roads that I have to traverse when going to see other expats in the area. No issues with ground clearance, and you get the knobbier tyres with the Pre-Runner.

as i am nearing buying a vehicle, i am reconsidering 4 wheel drive. i always thought i would go for it, but lately am wondering how often i would really use it.

so i am asking any of you who had a similar dilemna, what did you choose, why, and was it worth it? regrets?

personal choice if you are not using it for access to unpaved roads. have always had atleast one if not more 4x4 in usa but lived or traveld to areas where it is required or you dont go. how much more is the 4x4 model versus 2wd? 4x4 is nice but as an owner they are more $ to maintain, they eat up tires and fuel.

i'm too lazy to look... anyone know offhand what the price difference is between 2wd and 4wd toyota pick up? or any 2wd vs. 4wd?

thanks

Holy crap y'all are lazy.....(granted those are the '07 values, but look for the latest versions)

And here's the 2008 numbers. Looks like for the "G" model (both automatics) you're looking at 144 000 THB.

Edited by dave_boo

2WD look ugly, low, like a squashed shoe.

4WD hardly ever neccessary, except in Australian outback.

OK, I rarely needed full 4WD ( a van would do) but back in Oz had LandCruiser 100, took out 2 rows of seats and always had 5 different surfboards in the back. Entering beaches was all I did with the car where 4WD was really mandatory or hobby rides like Stockton Beach sand driving.

If I am on the market for a car other than Honda Jazz or similar, I would go for this one. Fantastic, rugged enough but still feels like a car inside. It was diesel, automatic.

(pic is loading slowly, may not load at all). Toyota Vigo 4WD with the canopy over the tray.

post-7277-1227672007_thumb.jpg

On my second 4x4, no regrets. On the one occasion I was nearly stuck with a 4x4-look-a-like (rental) up country some years ago in a remote area I value the benifits over the costs. Your question is clearly will you ever take that vehicle into a situation where you might need all wheel drive or low ratio?

I've only used low ratio a few times up in the far North and on some rough island semi off-road situations, mostly just because I can. Over taking a motorbike at speed was fun, pity I had to stop to change back to high ratio at the top.

If you are only going to need 4x4 a few times a year - is it better to rent one or borrow from a family member?

Most people get 4*4 and never use it, ever. You'd have to get into some extreme situations when only 4*4 would be good enough.

So you pay more for it, it costs more to run and you never really use it. Seems like a status symbol.

However, with the Vigo, it is too low unless in 4*4 or Prerunner and the Prerunner does not come with an auto box. Sort of a problems there.

I had one of each. A 2wd and a 4wd. My next new one will definitely be a 4wd. It is true that you will seldom need the 4wd but when you do need it, it's VERY valuable. A 2wd is nearly useless in the mud.

Unfortunately, the 4wd was a lemon that wasn't at all dependable. Two years ago I traded it to a dealer for a new car.

It is a common misconception that a 4wd vehicle will automatically use more fuel. Other than the slight weight difference between 2wd and 4wd, there really is nothing that is going to add to fuel consumption in the course of normal on-road driving.

Any noticeable increase in fuel consumption with 4wd is going to be due to the type of driving done while using 4wd.

And yes, I am speaking from experience on this.

>Also, can someone offer and interp on canopy ofver the tray... Is that like covering the ash tray to show smoking is not allowed

Many are lockable (some better than others) so you don't risk theft so much. Some covers are lockable in the up or open position - to allow you to carry larger loads or people.

O.K, I admit that I've never used my Fortuna off road and I've never even touched the low ratio knob .... but there's a strange and totally illogical appeal of having a vehicle that could, in theory, drive us all home if the airports never reopen! :D

yes, there is that :o

Having owned both 2wd and 4wd pickup trucks, the *only* negative to the 4wd that I can see is the purchase price.

What abuot turning 2wd v 4wd? if you live near traffic and shopping malls etc...

Also, can someone offer and interp on canopy ofver the tray... Is that like covering the ash tray to show smoking is not allowed?

Typically a 4wd will have as good or better (shorter) turning radius than a comparable 2wd. Unless you are locked in 4wd mode on dry pavement, which you should never do...it is very hard on driveline components.

There are a few options for covering the "tray"...honestly, this is the first time I have heard a pickup truck bed/box referred to as "the tray":

1) Topper/shell/canopy - is completely enclosed, typically has glass in the sides and rear, is lockable.

Pros - gives you a bunch of dry, clean, lockable storage; good place for the extended family to ride

Cons - heavy, may require you to get the vehicle "re-certified" for weight, can be in the way if you need to haul something odd-shaped or tall

2) Cover/lid - This is a fiberglass lid that sits on the top of the bed, the rear raises up, it is lockable. Some (like the one I have on my PreRunner) can be raised front and rear to about the level of the top of the cab and locked there for use in the open position.

Pros - you get some dry, lockable, out of sight/out of mind storage, good place for the family to ride (except on the tollway...400 THB for that one :o )

Cons - can be in the way if you need to haul something odd-shaped or tall

3) Tonneau cover - a fabric cover over the top of the bed, similar to a tarpaulin

Pros - you get some mostly dry, mostly clean, out of sight/out of mind storage, inexpensive

Cons - not lockable, the fabric will eventually need to be replaced, easily torn, tend to stretch and not fit tightly over time

For my uses, I went with Option 2. So far (9 months) is has worked well, and has not been inconvenient. If figure if I need to haul something that will not fit, I will either hire a small truck and a couple of somchais, or rent a pickup truck. And sometimes it is good to be able to say, "Sorry, I would like to help, but that just will not fit in my truck."