Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

Interesting account from a passenger stranded in Suwann. Airport on BBC World just now.

Apparently PAD said people were free to leave the airport, but with no transport a bit of a no brainer. They also said that anyone leaving the airport would not be allowed back in and they couldn't guarantee it was safe. So if you scouted outside and found no way of exit through the external protesters you would be effectively stuck in limbo not safe land on the outside of the building.

Apparently the PAD in the building were persuading (read: forcing and bribing) people all to congregate in an open area on the bottom level. This area is apparently very open and this is the only area the PAD have allowed any food and water into (supposedly, as the guy hasn't seen it but was told by the PAD). This area also only has a bare marble floor, not exactly comfortable.

The guy speaking said he was in an executive lounge (with some other passengers) which he felt was far safer than the open area proposed. However they had no food and when they refused to move PAD turned off the A/C so getting rather hot.

All TV channels apparently fixed to a gardening programme so no one can watch news and all Wifi/internet connections disabled.

I'm afraid anyone listening to that interview, distinctly gets the impression that they are more or less hostages.

(I posted same time as Bubba, its the same interview.)

Most of this is simply untrue. I (working in the travel game) had two clients who decided to risk getting their flight and were driven to the airport. Once they realised there was no way the flight was going to leave they simply went to the Public Taxi area hopped in a taxi and went back to the same hotel room they had vacated earlier. Thai Airways have been incredibly unhelpful. We had a staff member calling every 15 minutes to get information to no avail. But there was a recorded message stating that TG staff were on hand to deal with the situation....... thats a joke! All there was in the deserted TG check in area was one handwritten note stating that ALL FLIGHTS ARE CANCELLED. AOT hotline also a joke as the phone numbers are completely erroneous. I literally had to contact our Australian office to phone TG there (because of the time zone and language) to sort out the problem. TG are stating all will be back to normal at 4pm and that flights out of DM are continuing. Try not to take in too much media bumph, they are only after a big ratings grabbing, terrifying story.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im in Yala at the moment, fly back on 6th Dec so im deeply concerned by all of this, thank god I got insurance the day before leaving! Although im pretty sure they would class this as a terrorist act and maybe not refund if I cannot get my flight?

Ive never properly read about situations like this or had any experience, can someone tell me would airlines just simple change your flight details etc? Or would they say sorry tough luck you have to pay again?

My wife says its the kings birthday on 5th december so they should back off at this time? I sure hope either the military step in and clear the airport at least or the king says something. I've got a lot of respect for him and I would suspect his influence will stop this stuff from happening.

This is completely destroying the reputation of Thailand, its very sad.

This thread is now my main source of news so all those posting updates its much appreciated!

THAI flights diverted to Don Mueang, U-Tapao airports

Thai Airways International announced that its 16 flights initially scheduled to land at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport Wednesday were diverted to Don Mueang and U-Tapao airports.

It said in a press release that it 16 flights have been diverted to land in Don Mueang International Airport, while another three flights: TG508/Muscat-Karachi-Bangkok, TG520/Kuwait-Dubai-Bangkok and TG941/Milan-Bangkok, have been diverted to land in U-Tapao Airport.

All THAI's inbound and outbound flights from Suvarnabhumi International Airport are temporarily suspended until it resumes normal operations, the press statement said.

THAI's domestic flights, inbound and outbound from Don Mueang International Airport will remain in service.

For further information, passengers may contact THAI's Contact Center at tel. 0-2356-1111.

Source: The Nation - 26 November 2008

Can't vouch for the accuracy of this, coming from PAD' media mouthpiece, but:

PM Prepares to Announce State of Emergency

The Prime Minister is said to have ordered Defence Ministry officials to prepare to declare a state of emergency to deal with the PAD protesters, who he claims is closing off the country.

Reports have come in that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, who doubles as Defence Minister, has asked officials to prepare to invoke the Internal Security Decree during today's Cabinet meeting to deal with the PAD protest, which he claims is closing off the country and causing damages.

Somchai is said to be arriving in Thailand at 7 pm today and will land at Chiang Mai Airport, as the PAD has taken control of Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok, before boarding an Army flight to come into Bangkok. Then, he will preside over this special Cabinet meeting to announce a state of emergency.

Army Commander-in-chief General Anupong Paochinda has been following the situation closely and keeping in contact with all the Armed Forces leaders. He has appointed Army Chief-of-staff General Prayuth Chan-ocha and First Area Army Commander Lieutenant General Kanit Sapitak to map out plans if the situation escalates.

Government Spokesman Nutthawut Saigua has said the Prime Minister has ordered both the military and the police to take control of security at Suvarnabhumi Airport, as requested by the airport's director.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010784

THAI flights diverted to Don Mueang, U-Tapao airports

Thai Airways International announced that its 16 flights initially scheduled to land at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport Wednesday were diverted to Don Mueang and U-Tapao airports.

It said in a press release that it 16 flights have been diverted to land in Don Mueang International Airport, while another three flights: TG508/Muscat-Karachi-Bangkok, TG520/Kuwait-Dubai-Bangkok and TG941/Milan-Bangkok, have been diverted to land in U-Tapao Airport.

All THAI's inbound and outbound flights from Suvarnabhumi International Airport are temporarily suspended until it resumes normal operations, the press statement said.

THAI's domestic flights, inbound and outbound from Don Mueang International Airport will remain in service.

For further information, passengers may contact THAI's Contact Center at tel. 0-2356-1111.

I live next to U-Tapao and haven't heard any planes. Not even the normal military activity.

PAD Claims INN Presents False Reports

The PAD hosts on a temporary stage at Suvarnabhumi Airport says INN has presented a false report about passengers who are stranded at the airport.

An INN sms news has reported that food vendors and stalls in the Bangkok international airport have suspended their operations and passengers have been left to starve.

However the PAD hosts claimed a number of food stalls and restaurants at the airport remain open for business and are fully operational.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 26 November 2008

Another one from PAD's ThailandOutlook. Was this meant to be a joke?

Suvarnabhumi Suspends Operations, PAD Distributes Food and Water to Stranded Tourists

The Suvarnabhumi Airport director, citing security reasons, has announced that the operations of the Bangkok international airport has been termporarily suspended.

No flights will be allowed to depart or touch down at the Suvarnabhumi Airport. It's been reported that around 3,000 passengers are left stranded at the airport.

The PAD has begun to distribute food and water to the stranded tourists. Some of them have taken pictures with the PAD protesters and appeared to be in good spirits. They have also revealed that most airport officials have deserted their posts and volunteers have been brought in to help assist the stranded passengers.

The Airport Authority of Thailand has been criticized for its lack of contingency measures to assist the international passengers in a crisis.

------------

Wow, I wish I was there in "good spirits" and enjoying all that food and water!

BBC world just broadcasted a detailed report with on-site video. What a mess! BBC says the army is refusing to engage because they don't strongly support the government. At least 3,000 travelers are said to be stranded.

I've often heard of two steps forward, one step back, to describe struggling businesses, countries, etc. This appears to clearly be more like 0 steps forward and about a 1,000 steps back.

This is well beyond civil disobedience. This is disruption of an important segment of the national economy and the national appearance to the rest of the world. This is full blown anarchy and it needs to be stamped out.

Methinks good-bye fledgling democracy and hello military-led government once more, possibly permanent.

Man, visa expires today. had a flight to Penang this morning then back tomorrow with Air Asia.

Air Asia line is down. No idea whether I can get a refund or move the flights to another day.

Wondering if I should get a bus to Cambodia for a stamp. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens at the airport.

I take solace in the fact that this will crush the PAD. Rational PAD supporters can understand protest, they can't however stomach domestic terrorism.

Update:

Bangkok's international airport seizure leaves thousands of passengers stranded

BANGKOK: -- Thousands of anti-government protesters occupying Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International airport, halting all flights and demanding that Thailand's prime minister resign.

People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters swarmed into the airport late Tuesday, seizing the terminal and some other facilities, leaving at least 3,000 passengers stranded.

According to the latest developments, passengers who were already checked in to board flights, must return to the terminals, as there were no immigration officers on hand.

Public restaurants at the airport are insufficient to serve the large number of passengers who are on hand, milling about.

As a goodwill gesture, however, the PAD allowed 400 Thai Muslims from the three southern border provinces to board an Iran Air charter flight for their pilgrimage flight to Mecca, departing at 11am Wednesday.

Mr. Somchai was visiting Peru to attend the APEC summit and is scheduled to return to Bangkok Wednesday night but his arrival location is being kept confidential.

Suvarnabhumi Airport, the transportation hub for millions of tourists visiting Thailand annually, is the world's 18th largest in terms of passenger traffic.

Some 16 inbound Thai Airways flights, the country's national carrier, were diverted to land at Don Muang and Utapao airport on Wednesday morning.

-- TNA 2008-11-26

The Travel Advisories have all been put up on various government websites.

If you were a prospective tourist and read this, what would you think?

UK

The political situation in Thailand is very uncertain. If you plan to visit Thailand you should consider the present situation when making your decision. A large number of demonstrators have gathered in the vicinity of Suvarnabhumi International Airport. Access to the airport is limited. Departures have been suspended and some arrivals are diverting to other airports in Thailand. Shots have been fired in the vicinity of Don Muang domestic airport in Bangkok injuring at least 10. You are advised to avoid the area and check with your airline if you intend to travel from that airport. Violent clashes between the police and anti-government protestors have resulted in 2 deaths and more than 400 injured. Recent grenade/bomb attacks at Government House have resulted in 2 deaths and more than 20 injured. 4 small bombs exploded in various areas of Bangkok in the early hours of 26 November including in the vicinity of Don Muang domestic airport and Suvarnabhumi international airport. A number of people were injured. There remains the possibility of further violence.

Canada As a WARNING in bold

Significant political unrest and demonstrations continue in the country. Violent clashes between police and protestors and between rival protesting factions have occurred, resulting in fatalities and hundreds of injuries. The security situation is unstable and could further deteriorate without warning. Canadians in Bangkok are strongly advised to stay well away from locations where protests have been and are currently ongoing, including the Government House, the Suvarnabhumi International Airport, the Don Muang domestic airport, the Parliament, the Metropolitan Police Bureau, and the Supreme Command. There have been casualties resulting from attacks with explosive devices in the area of some of these locations.

Ongoing demonstrations have been disruptive to transportation systems and government services. Currently, demonstrations are reported to be affecting both the Suvarnabhumi International Airport and the Don Muang domestic airport in Bangkok. On November 25, 2008, shots were fired at the Don Muang Airport. Initial reports indicate that at least 10 people were injured. Departing flights have been suspended at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

The Australians are more to the point in big bold letters;

Demonstrations and violent incidents at Suvarnabhumi International Airport and Don Muang Airport in Bangkok have disrupted services. Suvarnabhumi International Airport is currently closed and the duration of the closure is not known at this stage. Before travelling to Suvarnabhumi International Airport, Australians should check with their airline on the status of their flight and the situation at the airport. They should closely monitor developments and follow any instructions issued by local authorities.

You should avoid unnecessary travel to the area around Government House and other demonstration sites. Several attacks, including with hand grenades and explosive devices resulting in some fatalities and a number of injuries have occurred. Further violence cannot be ruled out

Short of posting a do not travel statement, these 3 travel advisories are quite grim.

Edited by geriatrickid

PAD vows to shut down Suvarnabhumi airport until Somchai resigns

The spokesman of the People's Alliance for Democracy announced Wednesday that the protesters would occupy and shut down the Suvanarbhumi International Airport until Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat resigns.

PAD spokesman Parnthep Wongpuaphan said the PAD regarded that the Somchai government had lost legitimacy to govern because it attempted to help former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to escape legal punishments.

Can anyone answer my question? Will airlines just say tough you must book a new flight if i cannot get on my scheduled one or will they just fit me onto another? I guess its an airline by airline choice?

Check the news section of your specific airline from their main page. For Example SQ are waivering all charges fo reroutes / rebooking etc.

Wouldnt be suprised to see the likes of BA (Also European / USA Carriers) suspending all Thailand flights for extended time (weeks.....) until a stable goverment is in force and their is no risk of explosions and terrorist activity at SVB. No airline will operate into a terrorist occupied airport that the goverment is unable to secure.

This may just be the final nail in the coffin of Thailands Economic meltdown.

Can anyone answer my question? Will airlines just say tough you must book a new flight if i cannot get on my scheduled one or will they just fit me onto another? I guess its an airline by airline choice?

With discount airlines you are basically on your own, whereas traditional carriers in Star Alliance, One World etc. normally put you up in a hotel, reroute you etc. You need to read the conditions under which you bought your ticket. In some cases you have insurance via your credit card (gold or above)

Man, visa expires today. had a flight to Penang this morning then back tomorrow with Air Asia.

Air Asia line is down. No idea whether I can get a refund or move the flights to another day.

Wondering if I should get a bus to Cambodia for a stamp. Guess I'll just wait and see what happens at the airport.

I take solace in the fact that this will crush the PAD. Rational PAD supporters can understand protest, they can't however stomach domestic terrorism.

I'm sure you'll get a refund or move the flight to another day.

It's really a mess at the airport and it may take awhile to clear. If I was you, I'd go and get a stamp in Cambodia and wait it out.

Just received a message from my cousin that he and his wife will not be coming, were due to arrive after midnight tonight for a 2 week vacation. Subtract at least 5K USD from the Thai economy for that. I have a customer waiting for a product ready today, but it will not be going out on time now. He has alternative suppliers in Taiwan. If I lose him subtract another 20--30 thousand. Now multiply those figures by tens of thousands. Way to go PAD! Not like Thailand is facing any other economic problems is there?

"One would imagine to check their website where all the info on the airport closure is available........ rocket science???"

Love your arrogant tone. The info wasn't on their website when I posted - rocket science???

edit: "To make arrangements for your next flight to/from Bangkok, please proceed to the AirAsia Sales Counter at your respective airport of departure after the Bangkok airport has reopened. You may use your credit shell to redeem a seat on the next available flight to/from Bangkok within 3 days from your original date of travel."

They sound optimistic about getting flights up and running quickly again

Edited by lennois

george's link shows that only a couple of flights have been cancelled

This is the official information we are able to gather at this time:

http://www.thaivisa.com/bkk-departures.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/bkk-arrivals.html

Try to call your airline city office, or check their website.

The Thaiflight statistics mostly aren't working for Suvarnhabumi. If you look at the arrival status for flights between 6:00 and 9:00, almost all show "scheduled", "en route" etc, with only one flight actually showing landed.

Something's not right when a flight arriving at 05:50 from Zurich is still showing "en route, on time" at 11:54!

Since most long haul flights in that arrival bracket departed before the airport got shut down, they left as usual but must have landed somewhere else!

Call the airlines, or check their websites. EVA air for example give clear status of their flights, showing that flights leaving today for Bangkok all have been canceled.

Tempers are rising on this thread, which in addition to overworking the Moderators (!) is not going to help anyone or anything.

Please all, count to ten before posting and remember that insults, sarcasm etc are only going to further alientate and antagonize the audience you are attempting to persuade of whatever your particular point of view may be.

Tempers are rising on this thread, which in addition to overworking the Moderators (!) is not going to help anyone or anything.

Please all, count to ten before posting and remember that insults, sarcasm etc are only going to further alientate and antagonize the audience you are attempting to persuade of whatever your particular point of view may be.

My thoughts exactly, Sheryl. And how about we stay on topic regarding what's happening at Suvarnabhumi, rather than going on and on with political arguments. Perhaps the moderators could open a thread for that elsewhere? Many of us are interested in the airport situation and it's getting painful scrolling through all the bickering and rants.