Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Group Capt. Chokchai Saranon, a control tower official, said 50 masked protesters armed with metal rods demanded to enter the control tower Wednesday, seeking the prime minister's flight schedule. Three were allowed in, but with flights canceled, there were no controllers to provide the information and the protesters eventually left. In any case, Somchai was to land later Wednesday at a separate, military airport. AP Yahoo news.

Bloomberg is claiming the tourists stuck at the airport have now been evacuated, can anyone confirm this?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Thailand Evacuates Tourists After Protesters’ Airport Seizure

By Rattaphol Onsanit and Daniel Ten Kate

Nov. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Thai authorities evacuated about 3,000 tourists from Bangkok’s international airport, more than 15 hours after anti-government protesters seized its main terminal, forcing the airport’s closure.

“The airport is just a scene of chaos,” said John Watson, chief executive officer of Diethelm Travel Group in Bangkok, Thailand’s biggest inbound tour operator. “Communication has basically broken down. Passengers are feeling very intimidated seeing people walking by with masks, knives, wooden clubs and iron bars.”

The tourists were transferred to nearby hotels, said Serirat Prasutanond, general manager at Suvarnabhumi International Airport, who negotiated their departure with the demonstrators. Four of the protesters were injured in an explosion outside the airport earlier.

The People’s Alliance for Democracy, which helped trigger a 2006 coup against former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, wants to force the resignation of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, set to return today from the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum in Peru. The airport seizure escalates months of protests in which at least five people have died since August.

Transport Minister Santi Prompat told reporters today that he instructed airport officials to seek a court order to expel the protesters. Police have avoided using force since an Oct. 7 clash in which two people died and 470 were injured.

No ‘Defense’

“Nobody seems to be coming to the government’s defense,” said Michael Montesano, a visiting research fellow at the Institute of Southeast Asian Studies in Singapore. The disorder may lessen support for the protesters and make it easier for the army and police to deploy, he said.

Today’s blast injured four PAD supporters on an access road leading to the airport about 6 a.m. today, Somchai Sopacharoen, the police chief in the district where the airport is located, said by telephone.

Thailand’s military won’t decide whether to send troops to the airport until after a meeting between the army, security officers, government agencies and business representatives, Sirichan Ngathong, an army spokeswoman, said. Army chief Anupong Paojinda will hold a press conference after the meeting, Sirichan said. Military leaders reiterated their commitment not to stage another coup, she said yesterday.

The Bangkok-based PAD, which includes many middle-class Thais and receives support from the country’s royalist elite, accuses Somchai’s ruling party of buying votes to win elections and of trying to protect Thaksin, who fled the country to escape corruption charges.

Asean Summit

Thousands of PAD activists, who have occupied Somchai’s official Government House compound in central Bangkok for three months, yesterday stormed his temporary office after forcing parliament to abandon its sessions a day earlier. That postponement may affect Thailand’s ability to sign international trade agreements at a summit of the Association of South East Asian Nations it is hosting Dec. 15-18.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva today condemned violence from any side and offered to help negotiate a resolution to the standoff.

“I think everybody needs to come to the table. I can’t see how the situation can go on, how the PAD or the government can claim victory without damage to the country, so it’s time to get to the table.”

The SET Index of stocks pared earlier losses of as much as 3 percent and was little changed as of 4 p.m. local time. The measure, which has sunk 56 percent since the protests first erupted in May, is on course for its worst annual performance since the 1997 Asian financial crisis.

Standstill

Southeast Asia’s fourth-busiest airport, which last year processed more than 41 million passengers, has been closed to all flights since 4 a.m. and won’t reopen “until the situation returns to normal,” general manager Serirat Prasutanond said.

About 292 flights can’t get in or out of the airport because of the closure, and the airport will lose 53 million baht ($1.5 million) a day in landing fees, he said. The airport typically handles as many as 120,000 people a day, according to Serirat.

Singapore’s Foreign Ministry warned its citizens to avoid traveling to Bangkok and postpone their trips. Countries including Singapore and South Korea in September warned travelers about visiting Thailand after protesters forced the closure of its second-busiest airport in the resort of Phuket.

To contact the reporter on this story: Rattaphol Onsanit in Bangkok at [email protected]

Last Updated: November 26, 2008 04:15 EST

Anupong live now on Channel 3...

Calls on media to "relay message to PAD" to stop occupation of Suvanabhumi.

Document will be handed to PM to urge House dissolution.

People should be allowed to choose their own government.

Edited by MKAsok

can someone who speaks thai better than me tune to channel three NOW and tell us what they are saying or are all of u far away form thailand??

NO there are still passangers at the airport. they just interviewd a lady with kids there

someo0ne get there wife to tune to channel 3 and tell us what he is saying...

Edited by phuketrichard

"Transport Minister Santi Prompat told reporters today that he instructed airport officials to seek a court order to expel the protesters. Police have avoided using force since an Oct. 7 clash in which two people died and 470 were injured."

and how long will that take Mr Minister ?

BBC reporting Parliament is dissolved and a new election is to be called. Military has said protesters must leave airport.

BBC reporting via which medium?

BBC News 24. Source said to be Reuters. However in the last minute BBC has announced a correction. The report on dissolution is incorrect. the army chief has called upon the government to dissolve Parliament. Trust the Beeb to get things wrong!

Edited by citizen33

Stranded passengers evacuated to hotels around Suvarnabhumi airport

At 2 pm Wednesday, airport officials evacuated stranded outbound passengers and transferred them hotels around the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

The officials apologised the tourists for the convenience caused.

The tourists left on buses and vans at the exits on the fourth and first floors to the hotels provided by the officials.

They were required to show tickets and register their names with the officials.

The Nation

Juz thought I'll let ya guys know that tomorrow's morning train at 8.30 to chiang mai still had vacant seats but was almost full. I juz came back from Bang Sue 5 mins. ago where I bought tickets to make sure I will get to Chiang Mai tomorrow, according to the staff any sleeper trains were fully booked and since this morning tickets sold like crazy what with the airport shut down and all. Not sure if tickets will still be available later today.

Basch

Sondhi Criticizes High-ranking Management of Suvarnabhumi Airport

PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul criticized the Suvarnabhumii Airport director for saying the airport loses 50 million baht in revenue each it is closed.

The founder of Manager group and core PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul lashes out at the Suvarnabhumi Airport director for saying the airport loses 50 million baht a day the airport is closed. He questioned why the airport director did not mention anything about their alleged embezzlements of the government's budget.

He added that every aspect of the Suvarnabhumi Airport construction is corrupt.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010808

PAD Leader Sondhi: PAD Willing to Negotiate After PM Somchai Resigns

PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul takes the stage at the Suvarnabhumi Airport, located right in front of the Passenger terminal.

Sondhi claims he's been contacted by an unidentified power broker who's asked if the PAD will dissolve once PM Somchai Wongsawat and the government resigns. He responded by saying the PAD will only negotiate after the Somchai administration has stepped down. The issues that will be 'negotiated' will only be determined after the premier has stepped down as well.

He added that the PAD leaders will only be able to negotiate on behalf of the PAD protesters. But in the end, the PAD leaders will have to seek the agreement from the protesters themselves.

http://www.thailandoutlook.tv/toc/ViewData...?DataID=1010806

Anupong's trump card for besieged Suvarnabhumi Airport

By Avudh Panananda

The NationThe People's Alliance for Democracy has stooped down to a nastiest move to lay siege on Suvarnabhumi Airport in order to unseat the Somchai Wongsawat government

Its move is definitely unpopular and inflicts untold damage to the country although the PAD finally gets the undivided attention and gains a chokehold to topple Somchai.

After PAD-led protesters took control of the airport at 9.00 pm on Tuesday's night, frantic negotiations has been inconclusive.

The government is applying strong pressure on Army chief General Anupong Paochinda to intervene and clear protesters out of the airport. It wants to invoke the security law to empower Anupong to take charge of the crowd dispersal.

The PAD also wants Anupong to intervene but for an entirely different reason. It is trying to convince him to either stage a coup or throw his support to the opposition movement.

The government and the PAD both sees Anupong as having the trump card to decide the outcome of their fight.

Immediately after returning from Peru today at about 7.00 pm, Prime Minister Somchai will hold a face-to-face meeting with Anupong.

Anupong is expected to give his final answer on whether to assist the government to restore normalcy at the airport.

At this juncture, it uncertain what Anupong's stand really is. He still has half a day to review his options.

Based on his steadfast refusal to intervene in favour of the government, it is likely that he will not step in to ensure Somchai's survival.

The People Power Party is working hard in trying to replace Anupong. But it is making no headway. There is no shortage of ambitious generals willing the serve as a government's lackey. But the crucial question is whether it is possible to succeed Anupong's leadership and redirect the Army within short notice.

This leads to a dire scenario for Somchai. He may have no choice but to step down either by resigning or calling a snap election.

If the prime minister decides to cling to office regardless of dire consequences, then it is possible that by tomorrow the Democrats will resign their House seats en masse in order to force the House dissolution.

Somchai and his People Power Party are playing a high stake game to ensure survival as Anupong is about to show his trump card which can change the face of Thai politics

Edited by imafaranggetmeoutofhere

BBC has just interviewed a British guy who was stuck in the airport. He said the atmosphere in the terminal was friendly and relaxed. When asked the PAD people explained in apolite manner what they wanted and why they were doing it. The big problem was the airlines was the airlines. They were offering no assistance or information at all.

ASTV Claims Commando Units Spotted at Suvarnabhumi, Dispersal of PAD Imminent

ASTV news reports that commando units have been spotted at the Suvarnabhumi Airport. An Airports Authority of Thailand has confirmed the units have been ordered to disperse the PAD protesters with tear gas.

Given that many areas of high security have been breached at Suvarnabhumi Airport, what would be the length of time required to make it operational again, once the decision to reopen it again has been made ? Would anybody with this sort of expertise like to suggest an approximate time and procedure.

thanks

Ken

weeks if done properly, here? probably days

Coverage from the New York Times

Protesters Besiege Bangkok Airport for Second Day

And the last paragraph sort of sums up a very bad feeling about what is happening:

As the Thai economy slows down as the global financial crisis causes ripples here, and as the stalemate between the government and the protesters deepens, many Thais are hoping for a resolution.

“How is it going to end?” said Bharavee Boonsongsap, a 34-year-old producer for MTV Thailand. “I keep asking people but they have no answer.”

“Thais are fighting Thais,” she said. “People have become aggressive, and even children have been taught to hate the opposite side.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/world/as...1&ref=world

Coverage from the New York Times

Protesters Besiege Bangkok Airport for Second Day

And the last paragraph sort of sums up a very bad feeling about what is happening:

As the Thai economy slows down as the global financial crisis causes ripples here, and as the stalemate between the government and the protesters deepens, many Thais are hoping for a resolution.

“How is it going to end?” said Bharavee Boonsongsap, a 34-year-old producer for MTV Thailand. “I keep asking people but they have no answer.”

“Thais are fighting Thais,” she said. “People have become aggressive, and even children have been taught to hate the opposite side.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/27/world/as...1&ref=world

More than anything this post sums up the tragedy of it all

My airline (Qatar Airways) just called me to say NO flights out of Suvarnbhumi before Saturday 29th November, and rebooked my seat for then at 9 am.They said they would contact me if further delays transpire. I can't see the airport opening anytime soon.

If you're in a hurry to leave it looks like you'll have several days delay.

As reported, useless airline offices phone line busy all day, had to call London/Doha office to speak to someone, and then they knew more than the guys here in Bangkok did.

Delays such as this (Civil Unrest) are not covered by most travel insurances, but luckily I have a home here, so not too inconvenient for me.

Hmmm OK so whats the answer, I was due to leve Thailand on a Singapore airlines flight tomorrow. I have had no contact from anyone telling me what to do? The only information is from here and the tv NEWS. How do I get back home and whos responsability is it?

Hmmm OK so whats the answer, I was due to leve Thailand on a Singapore airlines flight tomorrow. I have had no contact from anyone telling me what to do? The only information is from here and the tv NEWS. How do I get back home and whos responsability is it?

Short answer. It's your responsibility. And you won't be flying tomorrow. Spend a few more days at the beach.

Singapore were one of the first airlines to cancel flights. Have you called them? I suspect they are one of the most organized airlines at the moment in terms of clarity of information and a plan... So talk to them. Try a Sing number if the Thai one is busy.

its a force majeure situation so its no once resposability.

Phone the Singapore airlines office in the country your heading to maybe they can help.