Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

I'm asking this for a friend. His daughter was on her way home to Oz when the crap hit the fan and her taxi had to turn back to Bangkok. She is now booked to fly out on Friday. Any one with a clue how long things will last. I have already told him her best option may be Phuket.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stranded tourists just want out of Thailand

With the $4 billion (2.6 billion pound) terminal besieged by anti-government protesters, forcing the cancellation of all flights on Wednesday, foreign tourists had little option but to bed down on benches, behind check-in desks, even on luggage carousels.

"This is a big problem," Dutch tourist John Crushak said as he lay on a makeshift bed of clothes and suitcases in one of the world's biggest airports.

"I just want to go home. I don't care what has happened. This can't go on any longer."

Dishevelled men and women wandered around the terminal soon after sunrise in search of coffee, food and some word about what was going on.

"I understand the people but the airlines are terrible. They've given us no information," said Swede Christopher Persson, who spent the night underneath a check-in desk.

"I haven't had any sleep. I don't know whether to go to Bangkok or stay here. It's just terrible," he said.

Despite the anger, People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporters camped outside the terminal doors were unapologetic.

They said their airport protest was justified as part of their 6-month-long bid to remove an elected government they believe is a puppet of ousted leader Thaksin Shinawatra.

"We will stay until the government steps down. This government is not legitimate. Thaksin is in control," said retired university lecturer Sunthorn Kaewlai, dressed in the PAD's obligatory yellow worn in honour of Thailand's revered King Bhumibol Adulyadej.

"We have not interfered with passengers' travel. The airport authorities have to run this airport," he added.

Behind him long queues snaked out of the toilets, the flooded, filthy floors of which were likely to dent the reputation of the "Land of Smiles" as a premier tourist destination that welcomes more than 14 million people a year.

"I understand these people want change, but to shut down an airport for their cause is a bit much and it won't help this country," said American Gary Biermann, who was resigned to not getting home in time for Thanksgiving on Thursday.

"It shouldn't affect the way I feel about Thailand but it will," he said.

For others, it was an awful end to a good holiday.

"I just want to go home," said Canadian Jason Walsh. "I had a great time here, but this has been a big disappointment."

Source: Reuters - 26 November 2008

As far as air travel goes all inbound flights are being diverted to Utapao which can certainly handle the traffic. Utapao is the former B52 Air Base down by Rayong on the coast and I suspect if you wish to leave Thailand by air this would be the place to go and try and get on board. One of my mates is in route as I write to pick up his Mum at Utapao as she is arriving from UK this afternoon so this inbound info is 100% correct. Can anyone confirm outbound flights out of Utapao? No need worry about disruptions down there as its a military base heavily secured.

Utapao is not equipped to allow scheduled travel outbound. Getting an international flight from Utapao as an alternative is not an option for outbound pax.

It is being used as a diversion airport only for inbound. And in fact will fill up rather quickly with multiple diversions resulting in its closure as well shortly due to lack of ramp area and ground personel and airport facilities.

Thanks for the info. As far as I know there are outbound international flights from Chang Mai, and Phuket, there were in the past some international flights out of Udon. If I were trying to get out I suspect that Singapore would be the best international airport to head towards and one might be able to domestic flight or bus to Hat Yai and then overland to Penang and then fly to Singapore, any other ideas? I don't think Cambodia or Laos would be very good options but one could certainly get to Hong Kong from either place, possibly through a connecting flight via Hanoi.

I suppose Phuket airport is open from where you can fly to Singapore or KL. Same goes for inbound.

The longer this goes on the worse it is going to get. This is a very bad development for the tourism industry, which Thailand whether it likes it or not, relies on a lot more than it admits to. The other issue is the ongoing problem of investors being worried about putting anything into Thailand. I have already had one significant potential investor cancel his planned trip for next week. I am hoping that the other party who are coming next week, also do not get cold feet.

Bloomberg is now quoting investment analysts every 15 minutes saying stay away from Thai stocks.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand will take care of the expenses and logistics of transporting tourists who have been left stranded at the Suvarnabhumi Airport back into the city after the airport director has cancelled all the inbound and outbound flights from the Bangkok international airport.

The TAT will arrange for transport for the stranded international visitors to travel back into city. They will also take care of the expenses to arrange for overnight stays for tourists who are unable to leave the country.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand will take care of the expenses and logistics of transporting tourists who have been left stranded at the Suvarnabhumi Airport back into the city after the airport director has cancelled all the inbound and outbound flights from the Bangkok international airport.

The TAT will arrange for transport for the stranded international visitors to travel back into city. They will also take care of the expenses to arrange for overnight stays for tourists who are unable to leave the country.

Source?

Whether anyone wants to admit this or not, the people currently stranded at the Airport are being held as hostages. The conditions there have been worsened by the fact the air conditions were all turned off and passengers were being moved around in a coordinated effort, not for their own comfort but in order to best use them as human shields from having the riot police or military come in and retake the airport.

Anyone that wishes to make the argument that the hostages are free to go needs only ask this, Go Where? All internet access has been cut off at the airport and those inside are being told they are free to leave but at the same time being told it is very dangerous outside of the terminal. These are not a bunch of die hard expat tourists who are sitting around drinking beer and having a laugh but families who are now scared to death, hungry, and just wore out who now find themselves in the danger zone through no fault of their own.

This situation is beyond outrageous, granted the average tourist is completely naive about Thailand, however, because the government of Thailand does go around the world and seek out tourist to come here and advertises this as a safe destination for families they "The Thai Government"are in my view responsible for the safety of the tourists now stranded at the airport.

In my mind I can only view the PAD as a group or terrorists who are endangering the lives of International Tourists. Ignorance is no excuse in this matter and if one diverted plane has an accident or one tourist dies because of the action of the PAD the fault lies squarely on their leadership and those who are supporting this situation from behind the scenes, VIP or not, I'm disgusted beyond words.

I'm asking this for a friend. His daughter was on her way home to Oz when the crap hit the fan and her taxi had to turn back to Bangkok. She is now booked to fly out on Friday. Any one with a clue how long things will last. I have already told him her best option may be Phuket.

Tell her not to hold her breath - the knock on effects will be felt for days after the airport reopens, which will not be anytime soon. No one can be more specific. As for Phuket - worth a try but I am sure there will be lots of others with the same idea.....

Are vouchers being passed out for this? Is the TAT roaming around the airport ringing a bell and telling the tourists to "follow me for free room and board?"

Dude, post your source.

TheWalkingMan

Assuming I will not be able to go to Chiang Mai by plane with airasia tomorrow(so much for the first and only holiday to get out of bangkok in years for us) I am wondering how many people in the same situation have tried to buy train tickets instead and if so, what is the situation there? It is impossible to call the train station (always busy) and if someone knows the current situation at Hua Lamphong any info would be appreciated, probably there is utter chaos as well cuz of this but then again, who knows...

Basch

I contacted air asia this morning as my flight was cancelled and they offered other flights (when the airport opens) or a refund. I had to get to KL for a meeting so opted to try Nok Air from don meaung to hat yai and was then preparing to travel by coach, I paid 4200 baht for a business class seat one way as thats all that was left. i checked in nd then my meeting was postponed which means I will not fly, i am now back at home. Nok Air are refusing a refund.

you could try nok air from don meaung, this airport is still operational. This morning i looked at a coach to chang mai in the hope of flying to KL from there with air asia, however the price was double what it was from bangkok. the coach however from mo chit would have cost 580 baht and take 9 hours, it leaves at 9pm

Thanks for that info, I will try Mo Chit then and hopefully will be offered a refund for our plane tickets as well(on their homepage, air asia is not quite clear about this and their lines are too busy to get through at the moment).

Basch

I don't think he meant that the situation has nothing to do with politics, but that this thread should NOT have anything to do with politics. People want to come to this specific thread to get updated information on the operational status of the airport and not read about PAD or current government philosophies and beliefs. Its very tiring to have to sift through political information when I have a flight scheduled for 8:30 PM to Bangkok via Bahrain with Gulf Air. Putting the cherry on top, I live in Dubai, so I have a connecting flight, making it even more vital for me to find the right information so I can properly postpone or cancel my flights on time. This is information that the airline cannot give me directly, so I need to read my sources carefully to know whats happening to airport operations.

So please, for the love of God and the love of everyone trying to get AIRPORT STATUS INFORMATION, please post your political ramblings on the appropriate threads. PAD is already making in difficult for us, please don't contribute to the confusion and chaos.

Let me see if I have this right, you can't get the infornmation you need directly from the airline you are traveling on, but you think that you can get the information on your flight from an internet blogsite? :o

Press Release from Today Travel Asia Co Ltd

Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport Shut Down by Anti-Government Protesters

BANGKOK, Thailand (Todaytravelasia.com) -- We wish to inform you that Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport has been shutdown today due to political protests in Bangkok targeting the airport. The protesters have blocked access to Bangkok's airport and inbound and outbound flights have been suspended.

Our staff are working hard both at the Thailand International Airport and at our office to ensure that impact to our clients is minimized. Staff are meeting our clients at the Suvarnabhumi Airport and making certain that all have a safe passage; while office staff are rescheduling and arranging accommodation for affected passengers.

We ask for your patience during this challenging time and ask our customers to call us on +66 26625637 or email us for the latest up to date information before setting off for your journey.

Please be assured that this is an internal political issue targeting Thai nationals and not foreigners.

Government reports indicate that normal service should resume this evening (Thai GMT + 7hrs).

For more information please see our website.

:o

On Thai Tv I see lots of pax outside the airport buildig and they appear to be getting into busses to leave the airport. Can anyone clarify? (Next week I WILL sign up for Thai lessons)
Thai authorities start moving passengers from airport

26 Nov 2008, 1149 hrs IST, AGENCIES

BANGKOK: Thai authorities on Wednesday began evacuating passengers who were stranded overnight at Bangkok international airport after

anti-government protesters stormed the building, an media reporter said.

Hundreds of weary travellers were herded out of the arrivals area at Suvarnabhumi airport on to buses provided by the facility's operator, the correspondent said.

More than 3,000 passengers have been trapped there since Tuesday night, when demonstrators swarmed the three-billion-dollar building to press their campaign against the government.

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) "agreed to allow Airports of Thailand (AOT) and Thai Airways to evacuate 3,000 stranded passengers into town as soon as possible," an AOT official said earlier.

"AOT will provide 15 buses and Thai Airways will be responsible for city accommodation," the official told media.

Source: The Economic Times

BANGKOK: Thai authorities Wednesday began evacuating passengers who were stranded overnight at Bangkok international airport after anti-government protesters stormed the building, an AFP reporter said.

Hundreds of weary travellers were herded out of the arrivals area at Suvarnabhumi airport onto buses provided by the facility's operator, the correspondent said.

More than 3,000 passengers have been trapped there since Tuesday night, when demonstrators swarmed the three-billion-dollar building to press their campaign against the government.

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) "agreed to allow Airports of Thailand (AOT) and Thai Airways to evacuate 3,000 stranded passengers into town as soon as possible," an AOT official said earlier.

"AOT will provide 15 buses and Thai Airways will be responsible for city accommodation," the official told AFP.

There was no immediate comment from the PAD, which has vowed to occupy the airport until Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat resigns, saying that his government is a corrupt proxy for ousted former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Somchai is due to return from a trip to the APEC summit in Peru later Wednesday.

- AFP/yt

from channelnewsasia.com

Edited by ozfarang81

Source?

There are reports they are free to leave and being given food and water.

Just with limited ways to get out.

No source, no veracity.

Just because one person here postulated they COULD be used as human shields,

doesn't make it so.

Facts are facts supposition is nothing but supposition. This is a news thread.

and the news is that tourists are being held against their will in an international airport in steadily worsening conditions with no way to get out or away from there. that's free alright.

Thanks for that info, I will try Mo Chit then and hopefully will be offered a refund for our plane tickets as well(on their homepage, air asia is not quite clear about this and their lines are too busy to get through at the moment).

Basch

yes airsia is now just an engaged tone, i was lucky to get through this morning after a 3o minute hold listening to that annoying music. They were very forthcoming though on a refund, she asked if i wanted it or wanted to wait until the situation dies down so i could make a clearer decison on changing the flight. like i say i wasgoing to change the flights to chang mai to Kl and she said i could pay the difference, take a refund or wait until the bangkok to kl flight is available, Nok air is an option for you, they have offers at the moment although I am a little peeved about them refusing me a refund (although it does say no refunds on the ticket I am sure I will get it as legal battles end up costing them more in the long run)

The BBC 7.00 am radio 4 news in the UK has just broadcast an audio clip from a British passenger who describes how several hundred people are in an airport lounge with about 100 PAD supporters controlling them. The latter have switched off the air conditioning and changed all TVs to a 'gardening programme' to stop the passengers having access to outside news. The BBC news bulletin also stated that the PAD have said they will close the airport until the government steps down. The impression given is that it is close to a hostage situation.

and the news is that tourists are being held against their will in an international airport in steadily worsening conditions with no way to get out or away from there. that's free alright.

And the news is also that they are being bussed out too.

There were not taxis or busses, so lack of transport choices,

but no one has said factually that they were prevented in leaving if they choose to.

Now it seems transport has arrived with protesters approval and the people are leaving.

Tell her not to hold her breath - the knock on effects will be felt for days after the airport reopens, which will not be anytime soon. No one can be more specific. As for Phuket - worth a try but I am sure there will be lots of others with the same idea.....

If she can get to BKK she can get the train to KL and fly out of there, or go on to Singapore.

http://www.scandasia.com/viewNews.php?coun...mp;news_id=4982

Bangkok airport to be evacuated of passengers

The situation at Bangkok Airport is getting worse. Airport authorities are now arranging evacuations for the tourists.

By Rikke Bjerge Johansen

At Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok the situation is nowhere close to being solved. So now, the Airport Authorities are beginning to evacuate the passengers.

"Don't worry, we have hotels for everyone," they are saying to the tourists who have been stuck at the airport all night long.

According to ScandAsia's reporter it could mean that the situation later on today and tonight si going to get very serious between the demonstrators and the police. That is why the Airport Authorities are in the middle of evacuating the whole airport.

Swedish and Norwegian embassies have dispatched staff to Bangkok Airport to help stranded tourists. Danish Embassy still considering what to do.

On Wednesday morning, the day after the occupation of Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport, all flights were cancelled and the airport staff that abandoned their tations last night failed in many cases to report to work.

However, there are still passengers stranded at Bangkok International Airport, many of them Scandinavians. That is why the airport is now being emptied.

The Norwegian and Swedish Embassy have each sent out two Embassy staff to help the tourists.

“People have been calling me all night long from Norway to make sure that their family and friends at the airport are ok,” Birgit Brandenberg, Norwegian Embassy councellor told ScandAsia’s reporter Gregers Møller, whoi had camped out in the airport to witness the development of the situation.

Now, the Norwegian embassy has two staff members plus a driver at the airport looking for the stranded tourists.

“Please tell the Norwegians who read this to call their relatives at the airport and tell them that we are out there looking for them,” she says to ScandAsia. The Danish Embassy has not sent any help to the airport yet.

"We are working on a solution and we are in contact with the other Scandinavian Embassies," Tove Wihlborg-Andersen, Consular Attaché Head of section at the Danish Embassy says.

The Swedish Embassy in Thailand were the first Scandinavian Embassy to send out their staff.

“We have two people out at the airport. Our main goal is to find those who have checked-in and went through immigration already,” says Jan-Olof Ahlenius, Counsellor Administrative and Consular Affairs at the Embassy of Sweden.

First, the Swedish Embassy needs to locate the Swedes at the airport and then to get them out of the airport since every flight has been cancelled.

The Australian and American Embassy also have their Embassy staff at the airport to help their countrymen.