Suvarnabhumi Airport Cancels All Flights As Protesters Surge Into Terminal

george

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting back to the subject of the airport, and this thread...please!!!!

Just checked EVA's online flight status system...

And, they had a flight due out at 12:30 am Wednesday (now) to Taiwan that shows canceled...

But they also have a 1:30 pm flight Wednesday out to London that still shows on schedule.

I'm guessing they're keeping it on that status, hoping that things will clear up by then... But then changing its status later if they don't. It doesn't sound like the PAD folks at the airport are likely to beat a hasty retreat...

Based on what we know now, I wouldn't be rushing to catch any morning flights Wednesday at Swampy unless something drastic happens overnight.

Ready to help but no coup: Gen Anupong

By The Nation - Published on November 26, 2008;Wed, November 26, 2008 : Last updated 0:10 hours

The armed forces will be unfaltering in safeguarding the country as well as the monarchy and will be quick to step in at any signs violence, but there will be no seizure of power because doing so will not end the political turmoil, Army chief General Anupong Paochinda said yesterday.

"Every commander in the armed forces has agreed that a coup is not the right way to resolve the current predicament," he said.

The military will not intervene in politics though soldiers will be ready to assist police should violence break out between rival crowds, he said, noting that at this juncture authorities had detected no sign of aggression.

The People's Alliance for Democracy is threatening to unseat the government.

All three wings of the armed forces are ready to help stop clashes, he said.

First Army Region commander Lt-General Kanit Sapitak said he was optimistic the situation would not get out of control because Thais were unified in their support for the King regardless of their differing political opinions. Kanit said his office was closely monitoring the situation, and had seen no signs thus far of any bloodshed. He refused to speculate on how the crisis would end, saying he was not a policymaker but a soldier. He sidestepped the question on military intervention, saying the army chief alone could not make a decision on whether or not to stage a coup.

- The Nation

LaoPo

how likely is this to effect internet access in Thailand?

Currently internet traffic is sent to Thailand by hard copy via air courier, then transferred via pneumatic tubes to the Internet center, where the messages are then encoded back into electronic form. With the main airport shut down none of the hard copies will be arriving, so I expect the entire system to shut down soon. Frankly, I am surprised the forum is even up and running.

:o:D:D Brilliant!

FF

My wife and I just picked a friend up from Suvarnabhumi off TG996. We live in Lard Praw. We left early and had to go via Bang Naa and King Kaew Rd at Bang Phlii as I had heard on 91FM that the normal entrance road off the Chonburi Motorway was jammed solid. All was well until I reached the airport at around 8.30. Phanthamit were already controlling some of the roads on the airport extremities, the traffic situation was chaotic, we snail crawled along via the air cargo terminal road. I saw some Westerners dragging their suitcases from there. They were moving faster than we in our cars were! We eventually reached the number 3 car park which was only a third full. The Phanthamit group by this time were pouring in to the airport from the Chonburi motorway end, and were occupying the road outside the departure level. The noise they were making was incredible, they had loudspeakers mounted on several large trucks and the sound echoed off the terminal building. Judging crowd sizes is difficult but there were certainly well over a thousand of them. At this stage the only entry doors to the terminal building for departing passengers was on the arrivals level, as the police had all of the doors on Departure level blocked off. This was causing confusion as there was very few officials around downstairs to advise people how to get to Departures.

When we got inside the terminal, the shops and restaurants, banks etc were hurriedly closing and staff were blocking off the front of their premises with tables and chairs. At around 9.30 the public address system announced that ALL people in the terminal building should leave immediately for their own safety. This was repeated many times over the next 15 minutes or so, although very few people seemed to be paying any attention to it. the noise from the yellow shirts outside was unbelievable and it only seemed a matter of time before they forced their way in. The police in their riot gear were woefully outnumbered. Exactly at 10.30 the Phanthamit started to pour in through the doors on the departure level mainly at the Thai Airlines (Northern?) end. The police seemed to be unable to keep them out. Then rumours spread that the airport was now officially closed and all flights cancelled. It was pandemonium. Our friend appeared at the meeting point at 10.45pm or so and we made our way back to the car. On the way we talked to some people who had been trying to get a meter taxi back into town to try and find a hotel. Taxis were very scarce and the people said the drivers were screwing the passengers for all kinds of money to take them back into the city. Earlier in the evening they had been asking for 1000 Baht, and by this time it was much more than that!!I heard 2500 Baht mentioned.

On the way out of the airport the outgoing lanes of the road leading to the Chonburi Motorway were only moderately busy, but the lanes inbound to the airport were jammed solid right back to the motorway. I hate to think how many outgoing passengers were stuck there. and are probably still stuck there!!

Altogether a very disturbing experience, and it must have been very frightening for people just wanting to get out of Thailand and go home to be trapped like that.

BA have cancelled there flights for tonight to Bangkok

From news.sky.com:

15161465.jpg

Protesters blocked entrance to Bangkok's international airport

British Airways told Sky News that one flight to Bangkok had already been canelled and another flight had been diverted to Singapore.

A BA spokesman said the decision was regrettable, but the deteriorating situation in Thailand had left them with little choice.

Source: http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-New..._Storm_Terminal

--

Maestro

Hi,

I'm writing this at about 1:40 AM Wed. I'm supposed to pick up a friend at the airport at 4 AM on a flight coming in from India.

What's the situation likely to be at this early-morning hour. I heard at about 11 PM the only way to get there from the Sattorn area was Rama 3 to Bang Na Trad.

I hate to delay things, but I wonder about the safety of all this. I'm considering waiting for him to call me rather than being there to pick him up on schedule. Would he be able to get a taxi out? Are they still trying to get 10 X normal rates?

I guess I'm all questions - no answers. What to do?

Buzzer

Hmmm...I watched television footings on the airport and there was a bunch of PAD guys, quite intimidating to passengers, trying to make their way. Not really the most peaceful and friendly guys I've seen in Thailand :o

Quite a frightening experience for normal airline passengers.

LaoPo

Thailand's Suvarnabhumi Airport closed

Chularat Saengpassa

Wed, Nov 26, 2008

The Nation

The Airports of Thailand has decided to close the Suvarnabhumi airport after PAD protesters entered passenger terminals and scuffled with airport officials.

The closure, ordered around 9 pm, involved stopping out-bound flights. In-bound planes were still being allowed to land Tuesday night, but can be diverted to key provincial airports if situations deteriorated.

The order was issued by AOT chief Serirat Prasutanont. He made the decision out of safety concern after PAD protesters penetrated some passenger areas.

"The PAD members are now scattered around. I don't know who's who, or who's PAD and who's not," a senior AOT official told The Nation at around 10.30 pm.

How long the closure will last is not known.

The People's Alliance for Democracy threatened earlier Tuesday night to close down the Suvanabhumi Airport completely after several thousand PAD protesteers blocked an entrance earlier in the day and caused turmoil for numerous passengers.

As PAD protesters moved to surround Suvarnabhumi Airport in the afternoon when the plane carrying Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat was scheduled to land, the arrival of his plane from Peru was announced to have been delayed due to technical problems.

The estimated time of arrival has not been confirmed. Some sources said he could be arriving Wednesday evening.

"We have tried to pressure the government for more than 50 hours but nothing has happened, so we need to step up our campaign by closing the airport to tell the world problems Thailand is facing," said PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul at Government House Tuesday night.

Before the closure order, the Airports of Thailand was Tuesday night mobilizing its officials to Suvarnabhumi to make sure no key operations will be disrupted. Travellers still can access the terminals through Bang Na -Trad highway, but the motory-way entrance has been crowded with protesters.

Many travellers have already suffered inconvenience. Arrival passengers were stranded Tuesday night and the AOT officials were trying to facilitate their transport out of the airport. AOT has also issued a statement pleading with the PAD.

AOT also has provided a hotline number for inquiries: 02-1321882 02-1321888

However, an AOT official said the lines soon became jammed.

It was a big political gamble by the PAD, which has seen its support declining lately because of controversial, provocative moves. Its die-hard following, however, has been galvanised by deaths and injuries of PAD members since October 7, when police fired tear gas at protesters marching to Parliament.

Somchai's plane failed to take off from Lima, Peru where he attended the APEC summit after the hydraulic lock of the plane's wheels failed to unlock.

The technical repair was first expected to make Somchai's flight eight hours behind the schedule, making Somchai's arrival time to be around 7 pm.

It was later reported that the repair work would be finished sooner so Somchai would arrive at 5pm.

Somchai was scheduled to arrive in Bangkok at around noon on Wednesday. He is now expected to arrive at 7pm instead.

The Public Relations Department said its reporter, Saksit Pradabsilp, reported from Peru that a hydraulic lock of the plane's wheel would not unlock, thus, preventing the plane from taking off.

Source: http://travel.asiaone.com/Travel/News/Stor...126-103394.html

I have heard MANY people say the same thing about the BiB! .. well the BiB didn't shut down the airport ... I was (and am) watching the news and have seen no guns or knives at Swampy yet. I assume that there are some though.

I am very very glad that neither side can afford for violence to break out at the airport!

:D ..what do you mean by "neither side"; are pro-government supporters at the airport as well, next to the PAD ? :D

Hmmm...I watched television footings on the airport and there was a bunch of PAD guys, quite intimidating to passengers, trying to make their way. Not really the most peaceful and friendly guys I've seen in Thailand :o

Quite a frightening experience for normal airline passengers.

LaoPo

hmmmm the international press has basically broken it down into the anti government PAD and the Government and it's supporters with the military so far staying neutral. There are plenty of police there which have cracked down on the PAD without warning using military ordinance and causing loss of life an many injuries ... so .. Those 2 sides? Or the UDD showing up? I am sure you have seen the police there and I am guessing you think the UDD are smart enough to find their way there!

SUVARNABHUMI CLOSURE

THOUSANDS STRANDED

Published on November 26, 2008;Wed, November 26, 2008 : Last updated 1:20 hours

Up to 10,000 passengers are being stranded after the Suvarnabhumi Airport has been ordered closed as a result of blockade by the People's Alliance for Democracy

The Airports of Thailand has decided to close the Suvarnabhumi airport after PAD protesters blocked an entrace, entered passenger terminals and scuffled with airport officials.

The closure, ordered around 9 pm, involved stopping out-bound flights. In-bound planes were still being allowed to land Tuesday night, but can be diverted to key provincial airports if situations deteriorated.

Slideshow : Chaos at Suvarnabhumi Airport; in this link http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/26...cs_30089430.php

The order was issued by AOT chief Serirat Prasutanont. He made the decision out of safety concern after PAD protesters penetrated some passenger areas.

"The PAD members are now scattered around. I don't know who's who, or who's PAD and who's not," a senior AOT official told The Nation at around 10.30 pm.

How long the closure will last is not known.

THAI reported that more than 21 flights _ to Japan, India, Iran, Europe, among others _ were cancelled Tuesday night. This affected up to 6,000 travellers. Overall, up to 10,000 travellers could be affected Tuesday night alone, according to airline sources.

The People's Alliance for Democracy threatened earlier Tuesday night to close down the Suvanabhumi Airport completely after several thousand PAD protesteers blocked an entrance earlier in the day and caused turmoil for numerous passengers.

As PAD protesters moved to block the motorway entrance to the Suvarnabhumi Airport in the afternoon when the plane carrying Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat was scheduled to land, the arrival of his plane from Peru was announced to have been delayed due to technical problems.

The estimated time of arrival has not been confirmed. Some sources said he could be arriving Wednesday evening.

"We have tried to pressure the govฌernment for more than 50 hours but nothing has happened, so we need to step up our campaign by closing the airport to tell the world problems Thailand is facing," said PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul at Government House Tuesday night.

Before the closure order, the Airports of Thailand was Tuesday night mobilizing its officials to Suvarnabhumi to make sure no key operations will be disrupted. Travellers still can access the terminals through Bang Na -Trad highway, but the motory-way entrance has been crowded with protesters.

Many travellers have already suffered inconvenience. Arrival passengers were stranded Tuesday night and the AOT officials were trying to facilitate their transport out of the airport. AOT has also issued a statement pleading with the PAD.

Hectic accommodation was being provided to some stranded departure passengers. Some of them had had to walk with their luggages for up to two kilometres due to problems at the entrance.

AOT also has provided a hotline number for inquiries: 02-1321882 and 02-1321888. However, an AOT official said the lines soon became jammed.

For THAI flight information, the following number 02-3561111 has been provided.

It was a big political gamble by the PAD, which has seen its support declining lately because of controversial, provocative moves. Its die-hard following, however, has been galvanised by deaths and injuries of PAD members since October 7, when police fired tear gas at protesters marching to Parliament.

It has been reported that Prime Minister Somchai has been in touch with his Cabinet and ordered an urgent meeting with top security officials when he arrives back in Thailand late Wednesday afternoon.

There were rumours about him planning to invoke an internal security act that will empower the military to take drastic action to keep law and order. The AOT was also known to have asked the Army to provide assistance if problems at the airport went out of control.

Somchai's plane failed to take off from Lima, Peru where he attended the APEC summit after the hydraulic lock of the plane's wheels failed to unlock.

The technical repair was first expected to make Somchai's flight eight hours behind the schedule, making Somchai's arrival time to be around 7 pm.

It was later reported that the repair work would be finished sooner so Somchai would arrive at 5pm.

Somchai was scheduled to arrive in Bangkok at around noon on Wednesday. He is now expected to arrive at 7pm instead.

The Public Relations Department said its reporter, Saksit Pradabsilp, reported from Peru that a hydraulic lock of the plane's wheel would not unlock, thus, preventing the plane from taking off.

While PAD Tuesday split in groups and stage a rally to block a Cabinet meeting, Deputy Prime Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul, as caretaker prime minister, still manฌaged to have a meeting with Interior Minister Kowit Watana and PM's Office Minister Supon Fongngam at the Public Relations Department headquarters at 9.30 am.

Police and military representatives also attended the meeting.

Chaovarat said after the meeting that the police had assured they could handle the situation. They would be patient and would not use violence.

Moreover, they would ask PAD to vacate the government's temporary office at Don Mueang Airport but would not "seize/ take back" the office, otherwise, bloodshed could erupt.

Chaovarat said he would leave it to Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to talk to the PAD leaders himself.

They were looking for a new place to hold the Cabinet meeting when the PAD blocked the Supreme Command headquarters, he said.

Meanwhile, a source who joined the meeting and asked not to be named, said police had told Chaovarat they would be able to control the situation as PAD protesters mainly demonstrated at Government House and Don Mueang Airport. Being left to rally as they wanted, demonstrators are likely to be exhausted on Wednesday with half of them likely to leave the rally.

Security agencies would then wait until only a few protesters were left before taking action, the source said.

Somchai's delayed arrival could be the reason for the cancellation of the scheduled Cabinet meeting, the source said.

Culture Minister Worawat Uaapinyakul said PAD should care more about the country and stop besieging government agencies' offices as it would hurt the country. PAD's attempt was just power struggle, he said.

"The (PAD's) behaviours are like bandits'. They are unacceptable. Why don't they respect democracy or listen to people's voice? Investors are withฌdrawing nowadays as they don't know what is happening in Thailand," Worawat said.

The government has been forced not to use its power, Worawat said. However, it would continue working according to the democratic system. However, it would have to discuss where its office would be.

He said the Cabinet would be able to use many other places as its office. However, the military should protect its dignity by not allowing PAD to siege government offices.

Worawat said he would propose to Somchai to set up an office in Chiangmai as the people there would welcome the government.

A government source, who asked not to be named, said the Secretariat of the Prime Minister had not prepared any office to replace the Don Mueang Airport as it needed to discuss the issue with the premier first.

The source said it was time the prime minister exercised the law against the PAD. Otherwise, PAD would lay siege to any government offices.

- The Nation

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

"We have tried to pressure the government for more than 50 hours but nothing has happened, so we need to step up our campaign by closing the airport to tell the world problems Thailand is facing," said PAD leader Sondhi Limthongkul at Government House Tuesday night.

lol

My guess is that the incidents are not related taking into account how far away from the terminal it is and like I said earlier my girlfriend arrived on the plane and she said it was peaceful.
:

Can you please inform us:

* what -local- Thai time did your girlfriend arrived at Suvarnabhumi ? :o

* does your/your gf's observation mean that the airport is peaceful ?

LaoPo

"I wonder how this will affect foreigners who's visas (tourists and expats) expire today and tomorrow. Pay overstay?"

Yes, I'm one of them and I'm fuming. They won't like what I have to say if they want me to pay overstay, nor will those little PAD freaks if I run into any of them

Can you please inform us:

* what -local- Thai time did your girlfriend arrived at Suvarnabhumi ? :o

* does your/your gf's observation mean that the airport is peaceful ?

Oh, around 3ish I think. I made a post when she called me so you should be able to get the time from there, I believe it was on the first 3 pages of this thread.

---

The video is definatly PAD people, check out this photo, the blurry pic is the video of the gun fighting, the cleaner pic is of the PAD trucks off the manager website...

post-67611-1227643965_thumb.png

It's not a match for match however if anyone finds a match for match photo then post it. It's pretty clear these attacks came for real PAD members even if they try to blame it on PPP pretending to be PAD, I don't believe it.

"I wonder how this will affect foreigners who's visas (tourists and expats) expire today and tomorrow. Pay overstay?"

Yes, I'm one of them and I'm fuming. They won't like what I have to say if they want me to pay overstay, nor will those little PAD freaks if I run into any of them

If your flight is cancelled perhaps you could try going to the immigration and sorting something out? Special case? You might want to make a new thread on the forum about this.

Bangkok Post

EDITORIAL

PAD wrong to block airport

The People's Alliance for Democracy's blockade of the Motorway entrance to Suvarnabhumi airport is a wrong and unnecessary move.

This ill-conceived disruption of one of the main roads leading to the country's most important international airport will get the PAD nowhere in its claimed agenda of toppling the government or any nominees of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, or making Thai politics less prone to manipulation by money barons.

In fact, this move will only further erode the rapidly dwindling public support, a hard-earned provision that the protesters badly need especially at this critical juncture of its campaign.

The damage to the PAD, however, cannot compare with that caused to the country. Suvarnabhumi airport is the main gateway to the Kingdom.

The PAD's reason for the road blockage - to prevent Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat from returning home from Peru, where he has been attending the Apec summit - is ludicrous, as news reports say Mr Somchai will not be arriving in Bangkok until this afternoon, and he could very well choose to land elsewhere upon learning of the PAD's action.

In fact, there are reports that authorities have prepared both U-tapao and Chiang Mai airports for the prime minister to land in case of emergency.

So, the PAD's road block only serves to hurt ordinary Thais going about their business and foreigners coming to Thailand on vacation or business.

The PAD's march on the Motorway entrance to the airport yesterday prompted members of its rival groups - the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) and the pro-Thaksin taxi drivers' association - to try a counter-attack.

The resulting melee caused major traffic jams in and around the airport, resulting in extreme inconvenience for people who had to use the airport. This is absolutely not fair treatment for anybody at all.

Beyond the day's immediate chaos, the impact of the PAD's reckless action on the country's tourism industry will be immense and difficult to rectify.

Even before the PAD attempted its boneheaded move to partially block access to the civil airport yesterday, up to 14 countries had already issued advisories warning their citizens to avoid non-essential travel to Thailand, and to exercise caution if they do visit.

According to Apichart Sankary, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents, the protracted political tension is estimated to be costing the country 400 million baht each day in lost tourist revenue.

The National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) has a similarly gloomy story to tell.

Due to the higher cost of travelling and our domestic disturbance, foreign tourist arrivals were down 16.5% while the average rate of occupancy at hotels around the country dropped to 45%.

Tourism-related revenue accounts for about 6% of the national economy, and had been forecast to reach about 700 billion baht this year - a goal that is unlikely to be met now.

Put these figures into the context of real life and we will see a picture of so many people who depend on the industry for their livelihood, who will have to suffer more and more as those numbers keep going down.

The PAD has the right to peaceful demonstration. But blocking access to an international airport does not fit that description.

This latest action by the People's Alliance for Democracy comes closer to terrorising the public.

anyone near the airport who can tell us something? Im 10 minutes down the road but girlfriend wont let me drive up to see if anyone is still there (probably sensibly)

If you take a look at manager.co.th there are pictures of people camping out on the road and inside the terminal, looks like they're going to be there for a good few days.