Here Is The News... At 05.30hrs

Totster

As some of you are aware, I am now staying in my wife's village near Kalasin. Everything is good and I am enjoying the laid back life... however, I am going to moan about one thing ( no.. not complain, moan )...

Every morning at 05.30hrs the whole village gets treated to the daily bulletin, followed by Isaan music. I know what you're thinking... not so bad... but, it is broadcast over a small network of loudspeakers, strategically placed all around the village on small towers so that EVERYBODY can hear, and when I say loudspeakers, I mean LOUD..!

On a serious note, I know this is important to the small community, It gives them various information, for instance during the rainy season, if someone has a flood in the field, the village can be alerted, and will go and help.

I just think a better way would be to set up a low powered radio transmitter and people can tune in for themselves, maybe a recorded broadcast so that people can tune in at anytime and get the message...

Well, just had to get that off my chest, I know the other villages have the same systems, I've seen the speaker towers...

Anyone got a comment or something to add...

totster :o

Easy Mate.In the middle of the night, climb the tree that holds the loudest speaker and cut one of the wires.Thats what a mate of mine did when visiting his wifes village...he had long gone by the time they repaired the offending speaker. :o

I just think a better way would be to set up a low powered radio transmitter and people can tune in for themselves, maybe a recorded broadcast so that people can tune in at anytime and get the message...

In my fiancee's village, they come on a 6am, and also loud. It doesn't bother me. I just adapt to their local schedule, going to bed early and getting up early. Quite the opposite of my normal schedule, but I can deal with it easily enough.

I'm told they could do the radio thing quite easily, but they use the speakers on purpose. I'm told it is required as a means of the government keeping the people informed, and also to ensure that sloth does not set in and people are up and about early in the day.

since you're a new man in the village, why don't you offer to help them since you have more knowledge than most of them, farang in a small village is very helpful

Unfortunately my knowledge isn't very helpful here, just as their knowledge wouldn't be so helpful where I come from. If there is something that I can do to help the community, I would gladly help :D

In my fiancee's village, they come on a 6am, and also loud. It doesn't bother me. I just adapt to their local schedule, going to bed early and getting up early.

I have adapted... bed by 20.30hrs and up at 05.30hrs, it's just a rude awakening, I feel like I'm being told to get up... :D

I'm told it is required as a means of the government keeping the people informed, and also to ensure that sloth does not set in and people are up and about early in the day.

Like I said in my OP, I understand the need for it.. :D

Your village must be posher than my wife's , they haven't got speakers yet , the betel-nut chewing crones do a good enough job.

Hope it stays un-Posh.

:D

Well... looks like the trend is setting in, I saw the village next door having the speaker towers erected... hope it wasn't your wifes village... :D

it's daylight already, the buses are happening, get over it.

I got over it a few weeks ago... just wanted to have a moan about it the other day, that's all... :o

totster :D:D

We've got the chooks happening first and that's b4 daylight, then there's the busses next, the headman gives his spule and if you manage to sleep thru that a 737 passes overhead at about 1000 feet at 07:30.

Oh dear... :D

For some reason I can manage to sleep through the chicken scrawks, We get the temple bell at 06.30hrs ( i think ), then the school bell ( we live pretty close to the school) after. But not as bad as the 737 methinks :o:D

totster :D:D

I'm still envious as ###### that I'm in Dodgerland and you're there though... :o

It's not that different then having your alarm clock go of at 5.45 am so you can go to work and sit in a traffic jam for an hour. :D if you wake up later then the traffic jam is only two hours.....

My alarm clock goes BEEP BEEEP BEEEP..... give me thai speakers anyday.

When we stayed for 3mnths in hubbys town the speaker was right outside our bedroom windows, after a couple of weeks I managed to mentally block it & never really heard it after that, either at 5.30am or the 6pm national anthem. The local kids did a good enough job though at 7.30am on their way to school of making sure I was up & about early. :o The one that I used to really love though was the bell ringer coming round at 11.30pm to make sure all was well. :D

Temple on one side - with chanting blasting out every morning Tamwat, lunch blessing and evening chanting. Kids school on the other which my glassless windows overlook. Nasty pop music starts at 7 through dedications, and announcements till 830. 4pm and they treat the neighbourhood to endless drum beating for their sports. Once a month they have a concert, and I can only fill my coffee cup half full all day, or it shakes out.

Loudspeakers are the worst thing the west ever brought to Asia.

I think I am in love with Boos avatar - do you have her phone number?

We've had the speakers doing the 06:00 and 20:00 for a few months - then the locals complained and it stopped. now all they are used for is special events (loy kratong etc) so all it not bad.

but some day.....some how i will wire them up to my sound system and blare some goodl old fashioned fbs duff duff :o

that'll scare the pants off the elders :D