Compensation

Colladge

Good Morning,

This is my first post althought I have read and gained alot of information from the forum over the years.

A few weeks ago I was involved in a motorbike-car accident on sukhumvit (outside bangkok). Basically the driver of the car (Thai) pulled a u-turn on the Sukhumvit and went straight into the left lane (not seeing me) and knocking me off the motorcycle.

I was taken to the hospitol and the Thai driver admitted responsibility for the accident (and the police agreed and papers made out stating this). So the Thai drivers insurance which is first class coverage from LMG has so far payed out for the majority of medical costs for the operations and is covering loss of earnings and bike repairs.

Due to the accident I have had to have my right hand index finger amputated to the knuckle (I am right handed).

I have now learnt that I need to meet with the police, Thai driver and insurance agent very soon to discuss the accident and from what I can understand come to an agreement on a compensation payout.

I have little knowledge of third person payouts and Thailand and what to expect, could anyone offer any advice?

Well his policy will have limits for 3rd party liability for sure and then I suppose you could sue him. Surely the police will want their cut and will probably want you to accept much less than you should get. In the west I'd want millions of pounds for such a loss but your loss would be based on your job and income. I suggest you get a lawyer.

Well his policy will have limits for 3rd party liability for sure and then I suppose you could sue him. Surely the police will want their cut and will probably want you to accept much less than you should get. In the west I'd want millions of pounds for such a loss but your loss would be based on your job and income. I suggest you get a lawyer.

Torrenova....I have never had any such experience of the police wanting anything and have found them to try to be reasonable to all in accident cases. Naturally they'd have much lower ideas of what pain or a finger might be calculated at. They tend to be very practical, judge what a person can afford, and try to bring about a swift agreement. It works quite well with a minimum of hassle.

So far I have seen no grounds for your slur.

Colladge....sorry about the digit and I have no idea of compensation, but obviously much lower here.

It might be an idea to forget all comparisons and work from first principles. What do you think it has/will cost you in all aspects? Bear in mind the human mind is wonderfully flexible and your middle finger will take over in no time. Then relate that to the bod in question and their insurance company.

Good Luck

Sleepyjohn.

Edited by sleepyjohn

Torrenova....I have never had any such experience of the police wanting anything and have found them to try to be reasonable to all in accident cases. Naturally they'd have much lower ideas of what pain or a finger might be calculated at. They tend to be very practical, judge what a person can afford, and try to bring about a swift agreement. It works quite well with a minimum of hassle.

So far I have seen no grounds for your slur.

Sleepyjohn.

Well you must have been the fortunate one. I've been here for years and seen it at almost every opportunity. Even had an employee who was sacked for theft come with a policeman to try and get some extra salary. Do you think he did it out of generosity ? Don't be silly. Once he knew there was nothing in it for him he was off. Loads more instances like that.

Please tell me just what someone can afford has to do with right or wrong ? Since when did plod have the right to decide that my car cannot be repaired at main dealer because Somchai is pissed up and has no insurance and cannot afford to pay for my repairs ? Utter garbage.

You may not have found a reason to see the truth about Thai police in many instances but your judgement is way off base here. You have been suckered into their stupid way of thinking.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know where to start on this one because I'm sooo insulted. My brother-in-law was recently killed by a drunk driver as a pedestrian. LMG is the insurance company for the drunk driver. I have in my hand a LMG auto policy. The "Limit Liability for Bodily Injury or Death over CTPL Limit" to: 2m baht for each person up to 10m baht for a single accident. My brother-in-law's wife, will not settle the case for less than 2m baht. LMG made her a offer of 300,00 baht. His income, if he continues to work until 75, is 22,320,00 baht.

I need advice on a good personal injury lawyer and Thai laws regarding compensation.

@ Calladge,

I think that the best thing to do is know the monetary amount that you can demonstrate due to the loss of a body part. With this, you can negotiate smartly with your lawyer and the insurance company why you need such compensation. Just remember that this is YOUR FINGER and not anyone else. The value of that finger, pain & suffering, and life time disfigurement are relative to you. I think what ever monetary amount that you come up with, make sure that you multiplied it by 10.

Edited by tripplejjj