Chiang Mai Airport Beseiged But Open And Operational

photojourn

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

watching on TV the incident of clash between red shirts and yellow shirts, where eventually one PAD supporter was beaten to dead

very sad..... :o

havent found links online of this incident ...

missed the part in the TV news what time the incident took place.

can others confirm?

You'll hardly find links to that "event"! If you compare the report about that killed old man, who was just a father of an PAD supporter with what some journalist was telling about the Police which were at the scene and didn't do anything for to keep that old man alive, that tells much enough.

As reported, not by ASTV or PAD supporters, that was a clear planned killing!

Cheers to the CM community!

Wrong again, Reimar.

The dead man was a political activist on behalf of PAD, who ran an anti Government radio station with his son. Though I condemn this killing, it was probably provoked by PAD attacking the pro government Taxi drivers radio station in Bangkok, shooting handguns and holding one man with a knife to his throat. The whole world has seen the video of that incident, so they only have themselves to blame for this sickening escalation of violence.

I know that it's hard for you PAD lovers to accept, but the violence and bloodshed was started quite deliberately by PAD's leaders to achieve their political end. How many innocent lives have to be lost before Sondhi and his clique of nutters are run off the political stage?

Edited by catmac

So far PAD guards haven't killed anyone except one attacker a few months ago.

It's appaling to see how some posters here justify lynch mobs hunting down and killing people.

There ARE reports that Vibhavadi incindent was an ambush gone wrong - reds were hurling iron bars at passing PAD vehicles and got their comeuppance.

It's appaling to see how some posters here justify lynch mobs hunting down and killing people.

There ARE reports that Vibhavadi incindent was an ambush gone wrong - reds were hurling iron bars at passing PAD vehicles and got their comeuppance.

And there ARE reports that PAD are peaceful and not armed! :o

watching on TV the incident of clash between red shirts and yellow shirts, where eventually one PAD supporter was beaten to dead

can others confirm?

You'll hardly find links to that "event"! If you compare the report about that killed old man, who was just a father of an PAD supporter with what some journalist was telling about the Police which were at the scene and didn't do anything for to keep that old man alive, that tells much enough.

Wrong again, Reimar.

The dead man was a political activist on behalf of PAD, who ran an anti Government radio station with his son. Though I condemn this killing, it was probably provoked by PAD attacking the pro government Taxi drivers radio station in Bangkok, shooting handguns and holding one man with a knife to his throat. The whole world has seen the video of that incident, so they only have themselves to blame for this sickening escalation of violence.

I know that it's hard for you PAD lovers to accept, but the violence and bloodshed was started quite deliberately by PAD's leaders to achieve their political end. How many innocent lives have to be lost before Sondhi and his clique of nutters are run off the political stage?

catmac:

Stop to post answers if you didn't read the related post's!

I was reply to news reports about an Father of an PAD activist who's running a Radio Station in CM!

So, YOUR answer has NOTHING to with MY post.

And your remark: Wrong again, Reimar. is nothing else than an personal attack which you also clarify in your post to tell that I'm a PAD Lover.

To be clear: YOU do NOT know what other are alike you never had meet!

LATEST UPDATE:

The Civil Court has issued an injunction against the protesters, ordering them to leave Bangkok airport.

Channel News Asia reports this morning that the PAD has 15 days to comply with the injunction.

Oh thats a lot of good and will help matters ...

For the info of those who might not know the PM lives in Chaing Mai. In Green Valley estate with his wife Taksins sister.

So the prime minister is sacked because he uses a cooking show to interact and show a human face to his supporters.---and yet any one can walk into surposedly secure internatioal airport controal centers and attempt to take controal---- without authorities doing anything?????

Do the natives know how ridicules they look??

For the info of those who might not know the PM lives in Chaing Mai. In Green Valley estate with his wife Taksins sister.

I thought it was Thaksin, not the PM, who had a house in Green Valley ?

Although it may now be his wife's, following the divorce, and any subsequent property-settlement.

Plus, please stay on topic. This is about the airport and transport (or general situation) in the North. If you want to soapbox your political views there are plenty other topics.

10:45 Update 27/11/09

Good friend whos at CM airport now reports that Air Asia still issuing tickets.

For those with flights today - compensation being offered.

So far I have not heard a single flight - (I'm 2 km from the airport!), but CM airport IS OPEN.

So far I have not heard a single flight - (I'm 2 km from the airport!), but CM airport IS OPEN.

Take your ear plugs out. :o

Silk air (the one with a f on the tail) came in from Singapore as well as Air Asia from KL. Just waiting to see if that one goes out, due in a few minutes

All the little local flights seem to be going, Chiang Rai, Mai Hong Song etc.

But nothing seems to be going to or from BBK - both airports there.

PS Air Asia is just wandering down the taxiway, going to take off toward the north I assume heading to KL.

Edited by briley

I thought it was Thaksin, not the PM, who had a house in Green Valley ?

Although it may now be his wife's, following the divorce, and any subsequent property-settlement.

It's the Cabinet Meeting location, whoever owns it.

The various Ministers are struggling to reach CM to have a Cabinet Meeting there with Somchai.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2358813

*edit... update there reveals several Ministers didn't make the special flight out from Don Mueang....

Edited by sriracha john

LATEST UPDATE:

The Civil Court has issued an injunction against the protesters, ordering them to leave Bangkok airport.

Channel News Asia reports this morning that the PAD has 15 days to comply with the injunction.

Oh thats a lot of good and will help matters ...

This is the new politics. The Army, the courts sit and pass the buck and duck responsibility until Mr Sondhi says jump.

If Chiang Mai airport can be kept PAD free it will be to the benefit of the country. All those millions of Baht Directed from Swampy Airport to the provinices.

Shows Thaksin was right to not put all the countries eggs in the Bangkok basket! With regional airports like this, Bangkok can be left to wither on the vine until the people that oppose PAD take matters into their own hands.

Whither away swampy, the empty apologies of the finincially strapped PAD backers will find no sympathetic ears outside of its own elitist circle.

PS on the PAD anouncement thread we are trying to identify the Banks and Businesses that are bankrolling PAD. More useful than just engaging in mudslinging and it may even cause financial hardship to the ones who need to feel it. IMHO

Can any Thais see if this is happening on pantip.com. My Thai isn't good enough to read all this stuff.

Edited by grandpops

can others confirm?

Wrong again, Reimar.

Lovely, the PAD-haters (and some Thaksin-loves in hiding) will do anything to twist it to their means.

Look, it's very simple:

The DAAD/UDD-man that was beaten to death did so in a fighting that took place after they launched an marsch/attack to PADs positions. But Catmac will hear nothing of it. Killing is wrong, no-matter why. The PAD-haters agrees.

A PAD-man (or father of one) is killed in an organised attack by DAAD/UDD people. Catmac states it's his and PADs fault since violence happened in other places of the country and 'they started it'. And PAD-haters agrees.

Hypocrites and supporters of murderers are what you are. Since it's convenient to label anyone after the first killing, now you can proudly wear the labels after this one.

Noticably a lot less disruption here with the red-shirts outside protecting it. It's most pleasant here and legally ELECTED officials are free to come and go.

Also, we are open for tourists to fly into and the weather is nice. Give that toilet at Swamland Bankok a miss until they sort their muppets out. Better chance of Fed-Express etc getting though and pleny of companies here are ready to take on the extra work. I was in Phuket two days ago and its the same there.

Let other areas of the country have a chance. Bangkok has long been the overrated centre of business and commerce.

Contrast that with the PAD coup in Bangkok with all the misery, violence, criminal damage, assaults, massive loss of face and income.

Noticably a lot less disruption here with the red-shirts outside protecting it. It's most pleasant here and legally ELECTED officials are free to come and go.

Also, we are open for tourists to fly into and the weather is nice. Give that toilet at Swamland Bankok a miss until they sort their muppets out. Better chance of Fed-Express etc getting though and pleny of companies here are ready to take on the extra work. I was in Phuket two days ago and its the same there.

Let other areas of the country have a chance. Bangkok has long been the overrated centre of business and commerce.

Contrast that with the PAD coup in Bangkok with all the misery, violence, criminal damage, assaults, massive loss of face and income.

The spiel we heard at the Chiang Mai TAT office, which blasted the Bangkok TAT office, sounded exactly the same, but we didn't see any farang volunteers.

PAD dad killed in North

CHEEWIN SATTHA

CHIANG MAI : The father of a People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) supporter was killed yesterday during a clash between pro- and anti-government groups at a housing estate in Muang district.

Cheta Jiempatana was shot dead when around 100 people wearing red shirts stormed Moo Ban Raming Niwet, where a Chiang Mai PAD leader lives. Witnesses said a quarrel turned into a melee and a gunshot was heard.

Chiang Mai, the hometown of convicted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, is a stronghold of the pro-government group Rak Chiang Mai 51. However, many people in the province support the PAD and wear its symbolic yellow shirt.

The shooting erupted after Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat arrived in the northern city, returning from the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation meeting in Peru. He chose to land in Chiang Mai because Suvarnabhumi airport is occupied by the PAD and shut down.

Red-shirted Rak Chiang Mai 51 supporters took over the Chiang Mai airport before Mr Somchai arrived, inspecting all vehicles going in and out of the airport.

Two men in a van who refused to stop for the inspection were injured. Police said the men, and a woman wearing a yellow shirt tried to flee to a warehouse, but were set upon by people in red shirts.

The woman was unhurt.

They told police they had gone to the airport to pick up a judge of the provincial constitution court.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/271108_News/27Nov2008_news04.php

Thats why the many PAD supporters in Chiang mai are afraid to wear yellow.

What happened here is probably quite normal for the anti pad?

Noticably a lot less disruption here with the red-shirts outside protecting it. It's most pleasant here and legally ELECTED officials are free to come and go..

Yeah, right, free to come and go. Maybe you should clarify that it's ONLY legally elected officials.

"Red-shirted Rak Chiang Mai 51 supporters took over the Chiang Mai airport before Mr Somchai arrived, inspecting all vehicles going in and out of the airport.

Two men in a van who refused to stop for the inspection were injured..."

The hunt for yellow shirts is in full swing.

Red democracy in action.

What we see is that grandpos and others are more than happy to see and experience fascism, as long as it is the Right - their - chosen fascism.

And then anyone not supporting Their view must be supporting, and take responsibility of, PADs misdeeds.

Whatever happened to: "Both are wrong, but I direct my main time against the one that can do most damage, the one in control, the one in government"?

Not here. Not by them.

Take your ear plugs out. :o

Silk air (the one with a f on the tail) came in from Singapore as well as Air Asia from KL. Just waiting to see if that one goes out, due in a few minutes

All the little local flights seem to be going, Chiang Rai, Mai Hong Song etc.

But nothing seems to be going to or from BBK - both airports there.

PS Air Asia is just wandering down the taxiway, going to take off toward the north I assume heading to KL.

Open, but quiet!

3063122480_9d4c5f51ac_o.jpg

Pretty quiet inside the domestic terminal too ... the improvised information desks (tourist police, bus services, hotels) have an occasional visitor...

3062284345_0377e150a8_o.jpg

Thai Air seems to be saying that's it for today ...

3062284239_cb5723d1f9_o.jpg

There's a few lost holidaymakers about, but it's all very laid-back and good-natured ...

3062284171_4ce29d152e_o.jpg

Edited by wedders

Nice pix, we need something to show that life indeed is going on.

They should add yellow shirts with various Royal insignia on them to the list of prohibited items - anyone found wearing one is in danger of being stopped and possibly beaten to death. Otherwise it's ok.

[deleted]

Whatever happened to: "Both are wrong, but I direct my main time against the one that can do most damage, the one in control, the one in government"?

An elected government can do more damage than a terrorist mob holding the country hostage? Are we on the same planet?

Hard to tell, but you seem to lack oxygen.

No-one is holding me hostage, neither government nor any other groups. If I decided to not visit TV, not read the news, listen to radio et al, I would not be affected by the events at all in any immediate way. So saying that we are in any way hostages is just typical hyperbole. As expected from you and the crowd.

Listen, it's very easy; if two equally bad groups exist, one should put the primary energy to topple the one currently in power. It's just common sense. Once they are out one will re-prioritize. And if, god forbid, the other bad group came into power they would be ones primary target.

Since people like to use WW2-analogies in your crowd (even if it's more nazi-references than anything else), here goes again:

During the WW2 the French resistance fighters would disagree on things (different groups involved, amongst them strong communist gerillas), and there would even be bloodshed. But the primary focus was working against the german occupation and the Vichy government, hence they would 'allow' the other groups to carry on their fight for the time being as they would be pulling in the right direction. Or take the much smaller German democratic resistance, fighting against the nazi but ending up with communist dictatorship (talking eastern part now). A change of main target happened after the takeover. But one cannot weaken the other groups too much if they are pulling in the right direction or one might end up never being able to topple the main, current, threat.

Hence why so many people accept PAD at the moment. Expect a very different image if the roles becomes reverse.