Minimum Wage Requirements

ZOVOX

I believe there is no  wage requirements for getting a work permit, it is only required when applying for visa extension. In which you are required to meet the requirement wages to get the extension to your visa.

Explorer  :o

Then how do foreign teachers get there visas extended, as most do not seem to reach the minmum wage requirements ?

:o Let's see.... Now.. if you are considered a private contracted..Meaning your not working for a GOVT school.. then minium salary is according to those ranges the MOI established for Foreigners.. if your a brit or yank.. I recall it was over 50k..monthly and that bank accout thing..

If you work for a Government school.. then they take care of the visa, and they pay you under 30K..

It was a funny and gray area as all the private schools got away with loop holds and the not.. But this was the deal before I left two months. ago..

Let me know. Check out the Ajaan Dot com webb site.. :D

Yes, teachers basically are indeed exempt from the minimum wages here (kind of as to get a work permit you generally have to be earning 30-40K....or paying tax as if you were, although this can vary from school to school/province to province I think).

Rhys I think you're way off base, I work at a private language school and there's not problem getting a WP and extension to your Visa if you're earning less than 50k (I think it was 60k for Yanks and 50k for us Brits, but again this doesn't apply to teachers!) or even 40k!

Edited by kenkannif

I think this is the yearly renewal deal as well.. you do have to show up with documentation that you have paid Thai taxes.. But remember, Visa and work permit are usually done together. This would be more for the long term person.

But naturally, all the private tutoring does go unreported. :o

I don't really understand that last post mate? Teachers are exempt is what I'm saying and you're saying.......?

What does long term have to do with it?

And while I'm sure tax paid does have to be proven, I personally have not had to 'prove' tax paid, I think the school deals with all of that for me?

If you're teaching privately, (i.e. not through a school) unless you set up your own school, you won't be entitled to a WP anyway (as you'd be working illegally) so a moot point?

Edited by kenkannif

There are a few occupations for foreigners that are exempt from the minimum Baht requirements; the two I am aware of are teachers and journalists. I guess the government at least has enough sense to realise that these occupations are low earners and for journalists, sporadic in nature. In a sense, by making the exemption, it gives schools free reign to pay <deleted> if they want to. Another case of TIT.

Ophs.. Sorry.. perhaps I read this wrong as well. Long term contract renewal...

IN BKK.. as I recall, when I extended my contract for another year.. I came with my school liason person, we submitted all the documentation forms, and one that was important, was the yearly tax form.. the Thai IRS form.. It shows how much the school paid you and how much tax you paid.

The immigrations office while fast on his mark.. seemed to really check this one.

YES... as a matter of reality... tutoring, teaching, does go unchecked here.. But that is your call..

Hope this clears up the topic.

I remember the days.. of just sailing through.. none of this three month check up BS.. Cheers