Pm Somchai Address Nation Live On Tv, on thai TV at 22.10pm

MiG16

PM Somchai addressing the nation live on NBT channel

currently 22:11pm

ADDED: I dont think it will be online just yet...so will attempt to summarise his statement:

- the government comes from a democratically elected process, and will continue to do its duties, and will not resign

- he has been away performing duties at the APEC meeting

- in his absence he had appointed Deputy PM, and Gen Anupong to continue to administer country. They have done a good job

- he has also been made aware of the unrest that took place, including the besieging of government property (govt house), and later the country's international airport

- this is illegal, and detrimental to the country, its economy, foreign tourists and general freedom of people

- he calls on all government officials to do their duties [ from the way it was said I read this to mean the army /police need to do what is their job]

- people can protest and demonstrate, but illegally taking over the airport is not a peaceful demonstration

- he calls on protesters to return order

- he has called cabinet meeting tomorrow for further action

please note that the above was not in chronological order, nor comprehensive, and its just my attempt at translating his live address

the text in green are my own comments

there should be news reported online shortly Im sure. Meantime, hope the above helps

Well looks like he is not so intelligent after all and will just cow tow to his Brother in Law after all. With the apparent refusal to follow the "suggestion" by the general to disolve parliment he shows his apparent indifferance to the good of the country. Guess his personal security rating has increased by 10 fold.

Anyway as the saying goes " come today coup tomorrow". Hopefully when that happens convicts and their families, banned MP's and their families and relatives will not be allowed to stand for parliment for their lifetimes.

Given the censorship being displayed on this forum I wonder how long my comments will be allowed to remain - it makes you wonder what self interest groups are involved here also !

Well looks like he is not so intelligent after all and will just cow tow to his Brother in Law after all. With the apparent refusal to follow the "suggestion" by the general to disolve parliment he shows his apparent indifferance to the good of the country. Guess his personal security rating has increased by 10 fold.

Anyway as the saying goes " come today coup tomorrow". Hopefully when that happens convicts and their families, banned MP's and their families and relatives will not be allowed to stand for parliment for their lifetimes.

Given the censorship being displayed on this forum I wonder how long my comments will be allowed to remain - it makes you wonder what self interest groups are involved here also !

What censorship are you talking about? You are free to write your opinion like everyone else...

To favour a coup really shows your view on democracy. To think the Sondhi and PAD are saints shows you dont understand just how much the latest airport protest is effecting many sectors of Thais economy which is already starting to suffer because of the global downturn. Not to mention businesses that are dependant on airport links for their operations. A few thousand people are doing a lot of financial damage for 60 million people.

There's very little sensorship here, Esprit.

Mods have been cleaning a couple of threads today from ALL political comments to keep them informative, not to sensor posters and their opinions.

This thread should be the usual free for all, except the rule number 1 - no discussion of monarchy.

I think this needs to be clarified cos no all members understood this new mod policy right away.

There's very little sensorship here, Esprit.

Mods have been cleaning a couple of threads today from ALL political comments to keep them informative, not to sensor posters and their opinions.

This thread should be the usual free for all, except the rule number 1 - no discussion of monarchy.

I think this needs to be clarified cos no all members understood this new mod policy right away.

Also calling for murder and mass murder will get you banned.

The mods have said keep the airport thread to be airport updates,

and the politics in other threads,

and then they wiped the politics out out of the thread. Pretty much even handedly.

They said clearly they want

people to know what's happening with the airport situation,

not the politics behind it all. Which most people can guess anyway.

Sorry for going off topic.

Only there are several threads going at the moment on similar subjects which is making it diffcult to follow.

I know that you mods have probably had a busy night but could somebody please condense/merge these threads a bit.

Thanks.

What censorship are you talking about? You are free to write your opinion like everyone else...

To favour a coup really shows your view on democracy. To think the Sondhi and PAD are saints shows you dont understand just how much the latest airport protest is effecting many sectors of Thais economy which is already starting to suffer because of the global downturn. Not to mention businesses that are dependant on airport links for their operations. A few thousand people are doing a lot of financial damage for 60 million people.

Please read my post twice or more. If you can still not undertsand then perhaps you should not respond. The point I state explains that by the allowing of convicted criminals and their families to remain in politics is ridiculous to the point of damaging the Thai economy irreparably already in the eyes of external investors. Review the financial statistics of this country, SET price etc prior to Tuesdays events and perhaps it may give you a clue to the damage already caused by this mindless obediance by government stool pigeons to a convicted person on the run. The additional damage currently being caused by the anti government supporters is causing some disruption perhaps. However given that most travellers currently effected are possibly economy type people then frankly they are expendable compared to the interest of the business and first class passenger whom have the potential to influence external economic and investment strategy within the Kingdom. As a consequence they have been, quite correctly, looked after far better, apparently, since the commencement of the airport problems thus minimising any potential long term economic damage that this weeks disruption may cause.

It should also be remembered that this has only been a constitutional monarchy since 1932, a mere 76 years. whereas say in the UK compulsary education became law in 1870 whilst one man one vote since the 1920's so hence it was 50 years after compulsary state education was invoked that the vote was given to all. Here the vote was given before the people had compulsary education. See the problem ?

Edited by esprit

Thailand. The only country where a minority can try to oust a democratically elected government, ruin the economy, the markets and the image of the country and still call themselves "Democrats".

In case the PAD monkeys haven't noticed it, this airport siege is ruining the economy. No more imports, no more exports. Remember all the fresh fruits from Thailand? Forget about it. Businesses and especially investors are losing their trust, Thailand is falling and falling. This is not about Thaksin anymore. Ruining the country will not bring Thaksin back.

Unfortunately PAD is a sham and this is a fight between two factions who want power. They are no different, but least the govt was elected.

This sums up my feelings exactly and since the government was elected I can't understand why they don't lay the hammer down on the PAD. It's time for them to show who is boss or step down.

Edited by wasabi

hi...

yes the tail is wagging the dog here and setting a very bad example.

all thugs - bullies and anti democratic.

in the eyes of the world thailand is now not a good place to be and that can only mean very bad news for ordinary thais trying to earn a living.

amarka :o

Um... slightly off topic...

due to fly into bangkok tomorrow from Chiang Mai.. Anybody know a way to find out if the airports are back in business? Or if there are any flights?? I am flying Air Asia and have been trying to get through their Malaysian hotline number for ages with no luck. Was at the airport at CM asking them today and all they could tell me was call Bangkok...

Not much help when you consider there are many others having the same problems as myself.

Dont think I would want to return to the airport again if this is still happening...

As I see it, this PM is powerless to act with any real authority against PAD and it's blockade aid the airport.

I'm sure the political experts here will correct me if I'm wrong in my following assumptions:

TRT with Thaksin as it's head were overthrown by the recent military coup. TRT were outlawed and basically reformed as the PPP. In the last election PPP managed to form a coalition government with Somchai as it's current leader/PM. I don't believe for one minute that Somchai could give orders to his military leaders to protect his governments control and expect them to be followed.

So, is it reasonable to say that Thailand is only a democracy as long as it's politicians keep it's military leaders happy?

Hypothetically. Fresh elections occur in 6 months. The PPP win a huge majority. PAD restart demonstrations. Government needs the military to restore order. Would the military oblige? Hmm.....

With the apparent refusal to follow the "suggestion" by the general to disolve parliment he shows his apparent indifferance to the good of the country.

Are you suggesting that ;aying siege to government buildings, one of the largest airports in the world, driving investors out and sending the country's currency into the garbage shows that the PAD love and care for the country?

ABSOLUTELY!!

Laying Siege.......it was a public area they entered at 1st, as anyone is welcome to do....

What investors did they round up and drive out????

Country's currency into the garbage...Click on the exchange rate, it has not changed in the least.

Preventing a party PPP from changing the constitution to allow key members of TRT to return, objecting to the governments refusal to revoke the diplomatic passport of a convicted criminal, and refusing to extradite him.

There is an almost absolute certainty that the PPP will be banned just like the TRT party was during the court hearing on Dec 15. For a group that is not seeking power to protest the current regime from amending the constitution sure sounds like a patriotic duty to me....

The PM had asked a committee of military find ways to end the imbroglio, he did, and the PM rejected the finding...Personally I find the General pretty even handed.

Laying seige is over the top, not right,

but clearly the government hasn't a lot of support at the top either.

Somchai is under orders to ignore all entreaties till he gets the charter amended.

I also have found the general very even handed and thoughtful.

But the government is not being faithful to the country.

They are scrabling and scratching to cling to power

and amend the charter before they are too late and are dissolved.

2 week frame work at most.

But push comes to shove if Somchai orders PAD cleared

and Anupong and OTHERS disagree...

Tomorrow is a new dawn and who knows what we shall witness.

It will also be a day to avoid the airport like the bubonic plague.

No flights, no chance of flights, if there are any it's from Don Muang.

Possible pitched battle, if any, there, likely tomorrow if it ever gets out of committee.

Edited by animatic

Thailand. The only country where a minority can try to oust a democratically elected government, ruin the economy, the markets and the image of the country and still call themselves "Democrats".

In case the PAD monkeys haven't noticed it, this airport siege is ruining the economy. No more imports, no more exports. Remember all the fresh fruits from Thailand? Forget about it. Businesses and especially investors are losing their trust, Thailand is falling and falling. This is not about Thaksin anymore. Ruining the country will not bring Thaksin back.

The PM's adress to the nation was just what I expected it to be! Why in the world would a democratically elected government step down because a group of malcontents dicided to lay siege to the countries largest airport. The tourists should be evacuated from the Airport and Suvanabhumi should be cordoned off by the military, then the power and water to Suvanabhumi should be turned off and as the protesters give themselves up they should be arrested and charged with crimes against the state. There may be some need for tear gas and other methods of non leathal force, but a single shot never has to be fired by the military. Should hardcore holdouts of the PAD decide to stay put expire from dehydration, so be it! The government should not only prosecute the protesters (terroroists) on criminal charges, but should also pursue civil litigation against each and every one of them and the PAD leadership to pay for reparations to the Kingdom. There is no need for this to end in a blood bath, but it should have a clear and definative conclusion and the price paid by the protesters should be so high that this type of thing will not occur again! If this is allowed to end and the protesters just go home with no penalty then not only is this scenario likely to be played out again, but the damage done to tourisim and investment in Thailand will last for a decade :o

The PM's adress to the nation was just what I expected it to be! Why in the world would a democratically elected government step down because a group of malcontents dicided to lay siege to the countries largest airport. The tourists should be evacuated from the Airport and Suvanabhumi should be cordoned off by the military, then the power and water to Suvanabhumi should be turned off and as the protesters give themselves up they should be arrested and charged with crimes against the state. There may be some need for tear gas and other methods of non leathal force, but a single shot never has to be fired by the military. Should hardcore holdouts of the PAD decide to stay put expire from dehydration, so be it! The government should not only prosecute the protesters (terroroists) on criminal charges, but should also pursue civil litigation against each and every one of them and the PAD leadership to pay for reparations to the Kingdom. There is no need for this to end in a blood bath, but it should have a clear and definative conclusion and the price paid by the protesters should be so high that this type of thing will not occur again! If this is allowed to end and the protesters just go home with no penalty then not only is this scenario likely to be played out again, but the damage done to tourisim and investment in Thailand will last for a decade :o

Pretty much my opinion and stated much better than i could manage but i fear that there may not be the will within the military to go down the sensible route unless it suits them.

For those of you who cannot get domestic flights:

Here is your chance to discover how good are the modern coaches!!!

I often pop down to Krung Thep for a Conference at a University or in the Convention Centre, and gave up flying down over a year ago. The cheap airlines were a load of hassle and I lost my money if I needed to change my flight, and Thai got expensive.

So now I use the Chan Tour Udon-Mo Chit service, which picks me up at Kumpawapi; or I take the ordinary bus to Khon Kaen and transfer to the Nakonchaiair KK-Mo Chit service.

I come back with Chan Tour, which drops me off in my home village of Non Sa-at.

The seats are as big as Business Class on a plane, and I get a lot more reading done, as I don't have all the moving around of checking in at the airport etc.

Travelling on the surface over land is the winner when I go down to Singapore, too. It's a superb train journey. I learn something new every time.

THAI TALK - The Nation

Operation total destruction VS state-sponsored terrorism

By Suthichai Yoon - Published on November 27, 2008

How do the angry protesters of the People's Alliance for Democracy justify the seizure of Suvarnabhumi Airport on Tuesday night? They don't. Well, to be more precise, they can't. In fact, one of the core leaders even admitted that they would find it hard to try to cite a good reason for that drastic action.

The desperate search for an extreme drama to seek an end to the political impasse - after six months of holding out at the Government House compound - was the only excuse the PAD leaders could find to offer any semblance of justification that stranded at least 10,000 passengers on Tuesday night. Untold damage will result if "Operation Total Disruption" continues today, as the protestors continue to hunt down Premier Somchai, no matter where his plane might have landed last night after its long flight from Lima, Peru.

But then, Somchai's departure from office won't be a big blow to the country. In fact, his passive and dismally ineffectual style of governing has helped substantiate the PAD's vocal and persistent accusation that he was behind the so-called state-sponsored terrorism in the form of bombs from M79 grenade launchers, one after another, over the past week.

The PAD has, from day one, dubbed Somchai "Thaksin's stooge". After October 7, when police were ordered to use force to disperse protesters in front of Parliament House, he was known as a "blood-stained prime minister". And soon after former premier Thaksin Shinawatra was sentenced to two years' imprisonment, the premier inevitably became the nominee of a political convict.

But Somchai has never publicly said anything critical of the PAD. In fact, he has even sounded conciliatory, expressing his readiness for negotiations with his worst enemy. The olive branch, however, quickly withered away when Somchai's lieutenants started firing verbal salvos and unidentified gunmen used M79 grenade launchers almost nightly to attack the PAD's guards. While the PAD's ASTV was spewing round-the-clock vitriol against the "remnants of the Thaksin regime", Somchai turned a blind eye to his officials using government-run NBT (Channel 11) to launch vehement counter-attacks against the PAD. Clashes between followers of the yellow and red factions became more frequent and deadly.

The rest of us have been taken hostage by the yellow-red showdown.

The military, caught in its own dilemma, can't decide what role it should play at this crucial time when it is expected to be an honest broker.

PAD leaders have been calling upon the top brass, especially Army chief General Anupong Paochinda, to make a clear public stand on the people's side.

Thaksin's men, fearful of another coup that could put the brakes on any possible return to power for the ruling party, have been threatening to go out on the streets against any military takeover.

General Anupong's no-coup refrain has been convincing - not because the public believes the Army isn't tempted by political power but because even the most powerful military officer can't be sure how to handle the post-coup political complexities.

Somchai's side has been saying the PAD is agitating for a coup so that it can share power with military dictators. The PAD has shot back with the charge that Thaksin has been stepping up his effort to create political tension within because he wanted to push the military to the brink of a coup to create sufficient chaos to justify a national civil war that could propel him back to power.

The PAD's decision to launch its "total war" to unseat Somchai was clearly a high-risk gamble. It's a make-or-break move that could backfire. But the protest leaders seem to have come to the conclusion that a drawn-out cat-and-mouse game would only weaken the PAD. A no-peace-no-war situation would only benefit the Thaksin camp.

As the PAD's chief strategist Maj-General Chamlong Srimuang put it before the big move began: "If we can't win this time round, we will just go home and hand the country over to the criminals."

Somchai must have found it hard to come home last evening through the normal channel in a peaceful manner. Chamlong knows that once out on the streets, you can't go home again.

-The Nation

LaoPo

PAD will eventually stop the airports blocade but Somchai won't be able to help Thaksin - that's what the PAD ultimately wants.

Basicaly PAD will have to sacrifice some, if not most, of their current demands to keep the main agenda going.

Tensions are flying high at the moment, people pledge and threaten and promise - but in the end the country will be the winner as long as Thaksin is kept out, even with Somchai in charge.

And again this government is not democratic elected.