The Airport: How Much Have You Lost?

Dakhar

I have a flight to Singapore scheduled. (6+K Baht) down the toilet.
I only just lost 200.000 because I can't finish my job ( waiting for parts )

Oh and I have no doubts there are those that will lose far more, than 200K.... I have a financial deal in the works and the deal will have to be delayed until the airports open. 35K is on the line for this deal. I imagine there will be some delays in the opening of our new main office, a project of over 3million USD etc.... it is a ripple effect.

But for right now, I have a flight scheduled on monday, and I doubt this issue will be resolved by then.... FLUSH

yes they will be more I guess who loose more but I am just a small guy trying to make a living

I investet a lot of money just to do this job and now it is down the drain will PAD pay me for my food

for the next year? :o

Maybe not a big thing for all of u and maybe u think this happened to me because I'm stupid. But I had a holiday to visit my family at hometown and to stay one week, so I kept my cat alone at home with food for a week, I was arriving to bkk 27th noon, and now I have new ticket for 3th december (let's hope..), I'm really scared that my cat can die :o

apart of this, want to say that I used swiss airlines and they are really kind in everything, their flights and assitance for this problem, I had two flights, first from my hometown to zurich and then bkk, went to zurich, had free night, dinner and breakfast at luxury hotel at the airport and free ticket back to hometown this noon and new flight to bkk on 3th, thx swiss airlines ><

Edited by Snows

I booked through ebookers and got a full refund by etihad today, the chap on the phone was pretty clear 99% of airlines are doing this until the 29th without a quibble then extend depending on whether airport is open or not. It is not in the airlines interest to be tight &lt;deleted&gt; at the moment long term they will lose out.

I wish I could complain about 100k Baht lost on an airplane ticket.

Won't say an exact figure, but it increases by the day. If I didn't have other business interests or took a grumpy whingy attitude about things, I probably would have burst a blood vessel by now.

:o

Edited by Heng

Thailand has lost the 4-5 K my cousin and his wife would have dropped into the economy during the long-planned two week vacation they had to cancel at the last minute. Cancun is now happily enjoying their money. Thailand will also be losing many thousands of dollars if this keeps up and I cannot ship product to my customers. Heckuva job PAD!

Won't say an exact figure, but it increases by the day. If I didn't have other business interests or took a grumpy whingy attitude about things, I probably would have burst a blood vessel by now.

As a Thai, I would think you would be much more excited about the notions of the vote buying PPP party being kicked out of politics, and the possibility of corruption free elections that the PPP/TRT would no longer be able to buy, and therefore unable to win.

Edited by dave9988

As a Thai, I would think you would be much more excited about the notions of the vote buying PPP party being kicked out of politics, and the possibility of corruption free elections that the PPP/TRT would no longer be able to buy, and therefore unable to win.

As a Thai, I know full well that all the major politcal parties here are and have always been completely corrupt (having a "clean" figurehead or two doesn't make for a clean party). The PPP/TRT are simply better at it. You may as well be wishing/hoping/routing for the professional sports team that is free of steroids.

:D

Edited by Heng

In the end so many people are going to lose in the short and long term because of this closure. I hope that some firm action is taken against the bandits that have done this, and also against the incompetents that have allowed it to happen. :o

For those that think this will be good for other places like CM and HKT, then dream on, BKK is the capital and most of the air traffic is routed through here. People will just skip it all together, Bangkok is assocaited with Thailand and if they can't keep law and order in the capital, what does it say?

A lot of people are going to be counting the cost on this one for some time, but those that are responsible for this mess (both sides) will be alright, and don't give a shit.

Thailand has lost the 4-5 K my cousin and his wife would have dropped into the economy during the long-planned two week vacation they had to cancel at the last minute. Cancun is now happily enjoying their money. Thailand will also be losing many thousands of dollars if this keeps up and I cannot ship product to my customers. Heckuva job PAD!

No matter how much Thailand loses, most Thais do not care.

I know of a group of 10 guys that always come to Thailand around this time of year who this year are off to The Philipines, the Japanese are very sensitive to any unrest and they will be giving Thailand a blank also.

You'll still get the hardcore of guys who just can't get laid anywhere else on the planet who'll make it here even if they have to swim, but for certain what was already gonna be a low high season will now be even worse.

Then again, at least Farangs are not being dragged into it, by being attacked etc, now that would absolutely destroy Tourism. Lets hope it stays that way.

Problem is, Farangs could well be used as pawns to send Thailand into total chaos, it just takes one Fanatic from either side to leave a bomb in any well know haunt for Farangs in Bangkok or Pattaya, and that's the whole tourism industry screwed.

I can't see that happening though, but then again................... :o

It's gonna be an interesting next few days, that's for sure.

I know of a group of 10 guys that always come to Thailand around this time of year who this year are off to The Philipines, the Japanese are very sensitive to any unrest and they will be giving Thailand a blank also.

You'll still get the hardcore of guys who just can't get laid anywhere else on the planet who'll make it here even if they have to swim, but for certain what was already gonna be a low high season will now be even worse.

Then again, at least Farangs are not being dragged into it, by being attacked etc, now that would absolutely destroy Tourism. Lets hope it stays that way.

Problem is, Farangs could well be used as pawns to send Thailand into total chaos, it just takes one Fanatic from either side to leave a bomb in any well know haunt for Farangs in Bangkok or Pattaya, and that's the whole tourism industry screwed.

I can't see that happening though, but then again................... :D

It's gonna be an interesting next few days, that's for sure.

I don't think anybody would have thought they would seriously close down the international airport. At present anything is possible in the Land of Somchai's. :o

Just as a matter of interest, does the normal holiday insurance most people take out to cover their trip cover this sort of situation. Will they be able to claim extra nights hotel costs etc. Or is civil disorder not covered ?.

Civil unrest is normally a specific exclusion in most travel insurance policies. I've looked at several policies including those of the top two British insurers and anyone here with those policies would have to pay from their own pocket for food, accommodation and transport out of the country to catch an alternative flight.

Interestingly, one policy from AXA talks about Emergency Medical treatment being exempt from the exclusion unless disturbances were already happening at the start of any trip. I take that to mean anyone getting sick while stranded is probably not covered because the insurance company would argue the PAD have been demonstrating since May. Whether they've been causing distrubances for that long could probably be argued though.

Lost 4.2 million baht in the last 2 days. Plus I have to lay off 7 staff in the morning, mostly Thais.

Question, does anyone know (estimate) what Thailand has lost in terms of revenue for the country, due to all the yellow shirted gibbons ? Ive been trying to find out but to no avail.

Facts please, preferably not wild guesses, if you dont mind....

Thai Airways has been unfairly criticised. They have offered full refunds on any cancelled flights. Though at the beginning of this malarkey, they were slower to actually cancel a flight than Eva or BA. If you have booked a flight through them which has been cancelled (so far up to and including Saturday), you will receive a full refund, it may just take some time.

How long that takes will depend on where you bought your ticket. As a licensed tour operator in the UK, we had to offer full refunds on tours to people due to travel, regardless of what costs we have incurred so far. I have just sent cheques in the post tonight. So yes, another one who has lost a packet.

Sounds like boycott time. I think Thailand deserves every economic fall that is inevitably going to happen to them. I will never fly Thai airways again.

Eva have confirmed 100% refund. :D Interestingly the girl at the agent who called me said that Thai airways were NOT offering a refund :D

Right, punish the whole country for the sins of a few. That makes a lot sense. :o

Don't bet on it pal. Don't forget your dealing with Thailand. They ain't forgetting shit!

It would be interesting to hear from someone who visits the immigration office today. They must be SWAMPED! Certainly, they'll announce an amnesty for small overstays this week.

I lost a bit in the price of my ticket as I now have to fly to KL. Over all though I stand to save quite a bit as no bar, hotel or business in Thailand will get my business. I am going to a neighboring country which was my final destination anyway. The only thing that changed is I refuse to spend any money in Thailand now. I don't care who laughs or says good riddance or whatever. When I connect in BKK I stay maybe 3 days and I drop about a thousand dollars a day, that will no longer be the case. I imagine top end hotels are loving this coverage along with the grim scenes from Mumbai. A lot of people now will just avoid the region.

As another poster that I usually don't agree with has said the Japanese won't tolerate such nonsense at all. Kiss all Japanese business goodbye now there are as many girls available in Japan as there are in Thailand anyway. I wouldn't worry about farang being attacked as very soon there will be very few farang that don't choose to wear yellow shirts left. The funny thing will be when the foreign supporters of the PAD find out they are no longer welcome at any price. PAD has pretty much just alienated the entire planet.

PAD can move into your now worthless condo in the mean time. The airport branch of PAD needs somewhere nice to rest.

As another poster that I usually don't agree with has said the Japanese won't tolerate such nonsense at all. Kiss all Japanese business goodbye now there are as many girls available in Japan as there are in Thailand anyway.

Yeah, but most of the guys that come to Thailand, can't freekin' afford Japanese girls ! :o