Urgent Cabinet Meeting Scheduled At 1 Pm Amid Beefed Security

george

First group of Cabinet members reach Somchai's house in Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- The first group of Cabinet members arrived at the house of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat here Thursday morning for an urgent Cabinet meeting.

Four or five Cabinet members reached Somchai's house along with some People Power Party MPs at 7:40 am.

The meeting is scheduled at 1 pm.

The security at the house in the Green Valley Housing estate in Mae Rim district was beefed up with over 100 policemen deployed there.

-- The Nation 2008-11-27

Ministers Travel by Car to Attend Cabinet Meeting in Chiang Mai

Members of the government are said to be making their way to Chiang Mai by car to attend today's Cabinet meeting there and meet with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Security is tight at the Green Valley housing estate in Maerim district, where Somchai's residence is located. The media is also out there in full force, waiting to report on Somchai's movement but he remains enclosed in his house after returning from Peru last night.

Reports said Culture Minister Worapoj Auapinyakul and Arisman Pongruengrong have arrived in Chiang Mai by van. Other Cabinet ministers are believed to be traveling by car to the northern province as well as the PAD has blocked all air exits of the ministers.

Somchai is said to be presiding over today's Cabinet meeting in the afternoon at a meeting room at the Chiang Mai City Hall to discuss the current political turmoil.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 27 November 2008

Several Cabinet members miss flight to Chiang Mai

A C-130 plane of the Air Force took off from the Don Mueang military airport t 10 am Thursday but several Cabinet members failed to arrive in time to travel to Chiang Mai, sources said.

The sources said after the plane took off, several Cabinet members just arrived at the military airport.

The ministers were apparently stuck in heavy traffic congestion on the Phaholyothin Road.

Source: The Nation - 27 November 2008

Scurrying Ministers missing flights to clandestine Cabinet meetings in Somchai's basement.... airports (plural) besieged... just a moment ago it seems, the Interior Minister (unsure if he'll make the meeting today) was declaring the government was "in full control" of the situation to the press.

Edited by sriracha john

Looks like Somchai is retreating to the hills. :o

communicating from his Chiang Mai Bunker to the War Room in Bangkok by ham radio...

War Room set up to monitor airport's situation

Minister of Transport Santi Promphat ordered an establishment of a War Room on Wednesday in order to observe passengers’ situations and cargo business at Suvarnabhumi international airport around the clock.

The anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s protesters have laid siege at Thailand’s main international airport since Tuesday night.

ThaiNews / 2008-11-27

Edited by sriracha john

Looks like Somchai is retreating to the hills. :o

communicating from his Chiang Mai Bunker to the War Room in Bangkok by ham radio...

War Room set up to monitor airport's situation

Minister of Transport Santi Promphat ordered an establishment of a War Room on Wednesday in order to observe passengers’ situations and cargo business at Suvarnabhumi international airport around the clock.

The anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s protesters have laid siege at Thailand’s main international airport since Tuesday night.

ThaiNews / 2008-11-27

So the Cabinet can meet in safety from the anarchists. Hurrah at last.

And don't think a move to the North would be a bad thing for the country either. Lucky Thaksin spent all that money on the regions when he was in power or the PAD coup would have strangled the country by now.

I think a permant move would be popular and suck great wedges of money out of Bangkok elites pockets which is what they seem to want these days.

Good contrast is Chaing Mai to the racist, eliteist, robber business community of Bangkok. Hope Chiang Mai continues on its march to the the Capital of Free Thailand.

Bangkok. The PAD can have it as an enclave which is all it amounts to these days anyway. Enjoy your empty bars, hotels and restaurants this high season :D:D For you Bangkokians, the repercussions have not yet begun. They will be financial ones, enormous, long lasting and no end of apologising will reverse them.

Enjoy

It is starting to feel like government in exile. I do wonder if the PPP war room where really big decisons are taken has relocated up north too?

Thaksin was just talking of his government-in-exile in Dubai. Now we have a government-in-hiding in Chiang Mai.

No word yet if they're still proclaiming to be "in full control" of the situation.

Edited by sriracha john

C-130 aircraft minister boarding makes emergency landing

A C-130 aircraft which is scheduled to bring some ministers to Chiang Mai to attend special cabinet meeting has to make emergency landing after having an engine problem.

The aircraft took off at a military air base in the Royal Air Force headquarter in Bangkok at about 10am.

However after flying for about about 30 minutes, it had to turn back and made an emergency landing at the air base because an engine broke down.

The report did not reveal names of the ministers boarding to the aircraft. The ministers then took another aircraft to go to Chiang Mai.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat is scheduled to organise a special cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai to discuss about the ongoing political turmoil after anti-government protesters seized Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Returning from Peru, Somchai's aircraft landed at Chiang Mai airport to avoid the protesters.

Earlier reports said several Cabinet members failed to arrive in time to travel to Chiang Mai, sources said.

The sources said after the plane took off, several Cabinet members just arrived at the military airport.

The ministers were apparently stuck in heavy traffic congestion on the Phaholyothin Road.

The report did not reveal names of the ministers boarding to the aircraft. The ministers then took another aircraft to go to Chiang Mai.

Earlier reports said several Cabinet members failed to arrive in time to travel to Chiang Mai, sources said.

so no Cabinet Meeting on Tuesday, Wednesday, and now Thursday....

A C-130 aircraft which is scheduled to bring some ministers to Chiang Mai to attend special cabinet meeting has to make emergency landing after having an engine problem.

The aircraft took off at a military air base in the Royal Air Force headquarter in Bangkok at about 10am.

However after flying for about about 30 minutes, it had to turn back and made an emergency landing at the air base because an engine broke down.

Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat is scheduled to organise a special cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai to discuss about the ongoing political turmoil after anti-government protesters seized Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Returning from Peru, Somchai's aircraft landed at Chiang Mai airport to avoid the protesters.

Or maybe in that first 30 minutes they had a chat, decided to withdraw thier support for the PM, and head back to Bangkok. :o

It is starting to feel like government in exile. I do wonder if the PPP war room where really big decisons are taken has relocated up north too?

Thaksin was just talking of his government-in-exile in Dubai. Now we have a government-in-hiding in Chiang Mai.

No word yet if they're still proclaiming to be "in full control" of the situation.

Maybe they are going to hire this guy for propaganda

post-31474-1227767318_thumb.jpg

His first press release: "There are no PAD protesters at Suvarnabhumi Airport!"

Edited by ovenman

Hi ALL

Wake up pop's ,,,So the TRT=PPP dont rob.

Under Thaksin the country was raped and pillaged.

phupaman

Is not the real issue of acquiring a fully undemocratic process if PAD have their way?

70% appointments 30% electoral vote with the rural population to have restricted voting.

Who is this going to benefit? How about the academics in our Universities that give degrees worthless to say the least and how much for oh well a 100 k will do or ......

Then who does the army chief call in for urgent talks, the blasted profs!

Claiming the rural ( Issan ) lot are not educated well it does not take much to work out that if PAD get in they will keep them uneducated and fleece every drop of blood from them.

The PAD are recruited from where local prisons, all IDs are taken away

The chaos was planned a long time ago and a few of the unwashed get shot that's PAD doing it to their own. in the big picture anything is possible

Taksin probably did not play ball with the other hoods and now they and the sponsors are truly brushed off

Do not be hoodwinked into the corruption story, this country is corrupt.

How many times have you been stopped to pay 100 baht fine for a bored copper!

A teacher to ask for a transfer. well that will be 150 K or to be true it depens on the Director's wife she pulls the strings.

Society is easily duped and that is the most annoying thing of all.

Passengers being sympathetic to PAD at the airport, bullshit they just accepted the food and being polite thanked the giver!

:o

Second press release, "We are in Control".

Funnily enough I think this guy is now living in Dubai, so maybe it is possible he will be hired by Thaksin. :D

:D:o:D:D:D made my day with that one

I know it's a bad situation...but after reading the above posts, I'm sitting here dying of laughter....

We already had a government in exile with Thaksin. Then we had a government here in BKK on the run. Now a government in hiding in Chiang Mai????

Then, both the airports are shut down by PAD. So some of the big shots are supposed to take a military transport northward, but they're late and the transport leaves without them??? I mean, it was a 10 am flight and it only takes an hour to go to CM... The plane couldn't have waited a bit longer for missing Cabinet members of all people???

And then, the military plane that just left...has to return back because of an engine malfunction.... So everybody gets off and has to take a different military plane... Couldn't quite tell, if that meant the original missing Cabinet members caught the plane on its second departure...

It has all the makings of a Saturday Night Live skit...

Note to Thai Air Force - gotta remember to check those engines before takeoff time...

Unless, of course, you're a conspiracy theorist who might imagine that the military folks deliberately..... Nahhhh.... couldn't happen in Thailand... :o:D:D

Great ! Loads of souvenirs.

:o

This guy was amazing indeed. The thai gvt would need one man like this.

-The airport is open

-The PAD doesn't exist

-And actually, Bangkok is not a city but the name of a football team

Edited by cclub75

....If they had travelled in an C-119 instead they may would have been able to produce the third remake of "Flight of the pohenix".....

Is he still alive ? He brought untold pleasure and amusement to so many with his statements

I know it's a bad situation...but after reading the above posts, I'm sitting here dying of laughter....

We already had a government in exile with Thaksin. Then we had a government here in BKK on the run. Now a government in hiding in Chiang Mai????

Then, both the airports are shut down by PAD. So some of the big shots are supposed to take a military transport northward, but they're late and the transport leaves without them??? I mean, it was a 10 am flight and it only takes an hour to go to CM... The plane couldn't have waited a bit longer for missing Cabinet members of all people???

And then, the military plane that just left...has to return back because of an engine malfunction.... So everybody gets off and has to take a different military plane... Couldn't quite tell, if that meant the original missing Cabinet members caught the plane on its second departure...

It has all the makings of a Saturday Night Live skit...

Note to Thai Air Force - gotta remember to check those engines before takeoff time...

Unless, of course, you're a conspiracy theorist who might imagine that the military folks deliberately..... Nahhhh.... couldn't happen in Thailand... :o:D:D

As said by another fairly prominent member of this forum, you couldn't make this stuff up. No point bothering attempting to make predictions on the final outcome any more, other than having a guess of the the overall ridiculousness of it.

When me and my wife have kids, they ain't getting raised here.

Unless, of course, you're a conspiracy theorist who might imagine that the military folks deliberately..... Nahhhh.... couldn't happen in Thailand... :D:D:D

I think, and think only... that the C130 flight is possibly military cargo plane (as in they already have routine scheduled flights to various destinations), and MPs occasionally use them 'to get a ride' I suppose. perhaps this was one of them?

no comment about the conspiracy :o

I suspect the ministers who missed the first flight had already left - with PAD right next door who wants to hang out there?

The thing is they need some sort of a quorum to make any big decisions.

Back in the day Thaksin pushed for "one man (me) is enough" for imposing Emergency Decree on the whole country and usurping the power. They settled on "three (out of 36) ministers make a Cabinet" solution, I remember.

Under 2007 const they might need more to issue any legitimate orders, so this missing flights might cost them dearly.