State Of Emergency Declared

george

Also regarding the contact lenses, I misspoke myself. The lens will fuse to your eyeball. Whenever there is a riot orm other situation in a public venue, there may be chilldren and seniors present. It is not always possible to segregate the combatants. The point is the agents are non-lethal, and the use of them is more humane and results in less death or injury than storming the place which willresult in gunfire and a good chance of innocents getting killed in crossfire. This is comon sense. I sent email to my old co-workers in NY and they find it hard to believe that some people on this forum are so clueless. Even non-law enforcement types should realize what needs to be done here.

and even law enforcement types should realize that is for the Prime Minister to resign.

Your co-workers back in NY might even agree with that one if you emailed them and asked.

yeah that will solve the problem :o oh no wait, it won't solve the peoblem, it will set a precendent for future groups who are unhappy wth the government and let them know that acts of terrorism is all that is needed to remove the government. if they quit now it will be the red shirts on the streets aiming to remove whoever replaces them, however it will be the same result in the next election leading to the same situation.

PAD need to be stamped out now, they are in the wrong with their actions, however right they may be with their agenda, their actions have shown them to be nothing more than a selfish mob who have affected thailand negatively than any government could.

What do you want them to do sit in a field in the middle of Issan waving yellow flags at rice paddies ??????

well this all depends on whether you want a sensible conversation with me about what I expect them to do, your ridiculous condecending remark leads me to think otherwise.

however here is a novel idea, they protest within the law, how does that sound to you or do you want to condone criminal acts?

over to you, a simple yes or no will do, do you condone criminal acts, yes or no?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well come on guys don't be boring, what's the possible outcome.

I would wager that army... & govt. can do a deal and they will both consent to removal of PAD.

How far the army gets involved is up for discussion, how much Thaksin has to concede is up for discussion, whether it is a stalemate or a total (as far as it can be) reconciliation is up for discussion. But if there is to be any hope it is the only way out.

At the moment this is the rational outcome and I have my fingers crossed that rationality can triumph over big egos.

Tropo

If hoping for a peaceful outcome, and not holding ill feeling towards either side, regardless of what colour shirt they are wearing, or what they believe in, what they have done or may do. If not wanting to see more violence, Thai's attacking each other, injuring and killing each other, is bitching, then yes, I am bitching.

This is the attitude I am referring to within this thread however, and frankly, it sucks.

Taking over an international airport and closing it down is not a "peaceful protest". It's not even a protest.

I don't care how many PAD "protestors" are hurt or killed. They know the risks they are taking by doing what they are doing. In my world if you play with fire you'll get burned, and they are knowingly playing with fire.

They must be taken out asap.

Ok, it wasn't my post you were referring to, however I do agree that any PAD protestor willing to use another person as a human shield is as good as "terrorist scum"...and that's coming from a non-American. Surprised?
Me too! Whatever it takes to extract those fools from the airport is fine by me. It should have happened on Tuesday evening.
Why should we have sympathy for fools who put themselves in harm's way? If it takes a few deaths to get the airport running again, then so be it.
It's not my plan and whatever happens will happen irrespective of my own opinion. If people want to take risks with their lives by doing stupid things, then that is their decision. No sympathy from me watsoever will they get.

Most imporatantly, the show much go on, and that means your beloved PAD members must be extracted by whatever means it takes.

So with an attitude like this, why exactly are you living in Thailand, amongst Thai people, who are struggling to solve a huge rift that has been created by the ex PM, and is still carrying on through the now proxy PM brother in-law.

Too many people seem to forget, this is Thailand, it belongs to Thai people, they will deal with it the Thai way, not the European or American or whatever way, and how dare any arse hole imply that Thailand should adopt another country's way of doing things, just take a look at what other country's have done to the financial market……. And what they have done to the freedom of their citizens.

Yes Sally agreed, I was thinking along the same lines, I don't see the government losing out here at all, with that phone call PAD have sealed their fate and effectively shot themselves in the foot. In Thailand some lines can't be crossed.

I can almost see one side giving the government the nod to move forward.

Result being that the government regain control (but perhaps with conditions attached) and recover a modicum of respect from the international community for bringing the situation under control and sends a clear message to any other group that might try this again in the future.

The question remains though whether the police/navy/airforce can actually complete that mission, professionally, with minimal violence.

The question is, will army be willing to join in or simply nod consent from the sidelines.

Join in with who?

So far the army have remained neutral, hopefully that will continue, I suspect (and hope) that the result of that phone call will have cemented that position.

Join in with police - but I think they will merely nod consent and watch from the sidelines.

I don't support the PAD but they did test Somchai the PM and he looks so weak I think he should resign. What leader of a civilized nation wouldn't have stopped this on day one and be resorted to scurrying out the back door and hopping over fences and now teleconferencing. He clearly does not wield the respect and power to govern this nation.

Oh, so the head of Thailand must step down because of a complicated political landscape? Democracy at its best! Our president was inept (Bush) but he didn't step down. If the people want a new government, elect it. People need to grow up, stop money grubbing the country and maybe go to a wat and learn Buddhist principles rather than just alking about them and looking pretty.

If he steps down, every idiot every year will think they can intimidate the government and hijack it for the pot of gold (Thai treasury) paying themselves afterward. Thailand will continue to be a joke as long as a small minority of protesters can topple the elected majority's government?

Why can't people just wait 'till the next election like we had to do in the US and legitimate country's do when they dislike their leaders.

...Sure, that'll fix any problem...tell him to step down. I think swift military action and a public declaration the PAD is a terrorist group and seize the funds of their assets, prosecute and seize company's and individual's assets that contribute from here on to PAD.

PAD has nothing to do with the majority of what Thai people want...only the elite snobs money grubbing in usual Thai fashion....anything for money, sell your soul, who cares about anyone else, anyone's rights, liberties or votes...steal the government if you don't like who's elected. That'll make the entire world respect Thailand (it's already a joke).

The bigger question is- will Thailand be a new EMBARGO country and will I be able to visit again if the PAD places a dictator silencing Isaan voters? It could easily happen, it happened to Burma. These idiots have no clue what they're doing! The entire world is condemning them as fascists and developed nations EMBARGO fascist dictatorships! THere goes your exports, sex trade, pirated software and copyright infringement sales right out the door (as if the country supports legitimate honest business in the first place)! What will these idiots do if they're isolated by the world? Never thought of that yet huh?

The PM needs to bring in whatever military, police (who cares, bring in pro-government mafia and deputize them), call in China, US, AUS, UK, UN or whoever wants to come in and monitor and finish this movement off for eternity! Toppling a government is intolerable, especially to insert one the people didn't elect and would restrict voting rights (I dont' care who's behind it and who supports whom)...fascism cannot stand and should be put down by any means neccesary...and if they come in, EMBARGO the fascist country!

Tropo

If hoping for a peaceful outcome, and not holding ill feeling towards either side, regardless of what colour shirt they are wearing, or what they believe in, what they have done or may do. If not wanting to see more violence, Thai's attacking each other, injuring and killing each other, is bitching, then yes, I am bitching.

This is the attitude I am referring to within this thread however, and frankly, it sucks.

Taking over an international airport and closing it down is not a "peaceful protest". It's not even a protest.

I don't care how many PAD "protestors" are hurt or killed. They know the risks they are taking by doing what they are doing. In my world if you play with fire you'll get burned, and they are knowingly playing with fire.

They must be taken out asap.

Ok, it wasn't my post you were referring to, however I do agree that any PAD protestor willing to use another person as a human shield is as good as "terrorist scum"...and that's coming from a non-American. Surprised?
Me too! Whatever it takes to extract those fools from the airport is fine by me. It should have happened on Tuesday evening.
Why should we have sympathy for fools who put themselves in harm's way? If it takes a few deaths to get the airport running again, then so be it.
It's not my plan and whatever happens will happen irrespective of my own opinion. If people want to take risks with their lives by doing stupid things, then that is their decision. No sympathy from me watsoever will they get.

Most imporatantly, the show much go on, and that means your beloved PAD members must be extracted by whatever means it takes.

So with an attitude like this, why exactly are you living in Thailand, amongst Thai people, who are struggling to solve a huge rift that has been created by the ex PM, and is still carrying on through the now proxy PM brother in-law.

Too many people seem to forget, this is Thailand, it belongs to Thai people, they will deal with it the Thai way, not the European or American or whatever way, and how dare any arse hole imply that Thailand should adopt another country's way of doing things, just take a look at what other country's have done to the financial market……. And what they have done to the freedom of their citizens.

The Thai way?

Do you mena the Red or the yellow way?

Maybe you do not like the fact that your nation is in meltdown now and looking like a joke, but it is.

If we all said wonderful things about Thailand, the meltdown would still be well under way. if you do not like people talking, then do not listen.

Yes Sally agreed, I was thinking along the same lines, I don't see the government losing out here at all, with that phone call PAD have sealed their fate and effectively shot themselves in the foot. In Thailand some lines can't be crossed.

Result being that the government regain control (but perhaps with conditions attached) and recover a modicum of respect from the international community for bringing the situation under control and sends a clear message to any other group that might try this again in the future.

The question remains though whether the police/navy/airforce can actually complete that mission, professionally, with minimal violence.

The question is, will army be willing to join in or simply nod consent from the sidelines.

Join in with who?

So far the army have remained neutral, hopefully that will continue, I suspect (and hope) that the result of that phone call will have cemented that position.

If the army move it will be later unless their hand is forced. Their real concern is making sure Thaksin does not return for reasons metioned earlier by OMR. As Thaksin has now said he wants to return politically they now have to take a stance. The PAD are not critical to the military's strategy, they can sacrificed or used or supported depending on how at any point in time that fits with their overall aims. While many people in the country fixate on the PAD they miss the vital manouverings in th background.

That the military have stated people will die if they move shows they know exactly what the stakes are. However, they now will respond to Thaksins challenge and Thaksin will in all likelihood not step back as he wants his power and money back. My guess would be that the military will either favour a deal (unlikely to happen), a short term truce (they asked for elections for this reason), or to wait until the reds and yerllows are ripping each other to pieces and the government are still hidden in Chiang Mai before stepping in to save the country as it that point they will at least initlly be welcomed by more peopel than now. Unfortuantley those exact conditions could be created very very soon.

First, appreciate the news updates! Getting info and insights on how things are developing helpful in easing uncertainty concerns.

I am stuck in Singapore wanting to come home to my wife, but have been on longer business trips than what I expect this situation to last(another week?), if violence is minimal & naturally as stated by many an important factor to consider. While I am only moderately inconvenienced, realize others are suffering more and hope the local authorities can at least find and help those in urgent need of travel assistance via alternatives. I am not Thai and trying to resist taking sides. Civil disobedience is better than out right aggressive violence, though some still happens. Hopeful ALL sides which there are more than red or yellow, can reflect on the situation and need to find a way to better get along. Further, polarization of society likely to lead to deep hatred and more extreme & even premeditated violence(e.g. horror in Mumbai). Thailand can be a lovely and affordable place for a getaway, reason tourism popular. Terrorism, murders, or kidnapping rarely a concern. Petty theft on the other hand more prevalent & requires a bit of caution to avoid. Best of luck to Thailand and those affected weathering this storm.

This needs to end now. It is clear that the PAD will not leave, so the police must force them out immediately. Preferably without, but if needed, with force. It is simply no longer acceptable. There are tens of thousands of tourists who must go home to their job. If they can't return, they will possibly lose their jobs. Children can't go to school. Medical patients can't fly to get treatment.

This IS terrorism and the government/police/army need to act now.

They've had ample time to do something so far, arguably with the support of the majority, and they haven't.

If this government is really a true supporter of democracy they should resign and call new elections, with the premise they can form another party in time should the PPP be dissolved.

Stand off over, arrest the PAD leaders and return to normalcy as soon as feasibly possible.

I think calling new elections is better than asking for the army to come in. The army does law and order, but in fairness can't be expected to do anything else.

The issue of civil pressure bringing change can be debated ad nauseam. Eg: Supposing Thaivisa members didn't like something and a few dozen picketed Admin George's house asking for a rule change. Should he give in if he wanted to get them to remove their barricades. Is it ethical on their part? Who knows.

It would depend on whether or not the picketers brought cold Chang.

Well come on guys don't be boring, what's the possible outcome.

I would wager that army... & govt. can do a deal and they will both consent to removal of PAD.

How far the army gets involved is up for discussion, how much Thaksin has to concede is up for discussion, whether it is a stalemate or a total (as far as it can be) reconciliation is up for discussion. But if there is to be any hope it is the only way out.

At the moment this is the rational outcome and I have my fingers crossed that rationality can triumph over big egos.

You'll either get a short deal to restore things to the current status quo with the PAD mostly gone (you cant shut down a movement that has millions of sympathisers completely) and probably UDD suddenly finding they cant get the numbers too (byzantine politcos will no longer see the need to ship in people). I think there is too little trust among the big players for a long term deal to be done.

Or you will have a hard coup at a time propitious to the military to intervene ie after some red violence and with the government hiding in Chaing Mai. It will be a hard coup but aimed equally at red or yellow who step out of line and then they will set up an endorsed government of unity with maybe even a few fairly popular people in it. I would guess most of the PPP leaders whatever they say will either flee the country or do a deal if this happens.

According to the U-Tapao Airport report, issued at 1130, airlines using the airport are:

• Aeroflot and Transaero arrive and depart for Moscow;

• Asiana: two arrive from Seoul and one departs for Seoul.

• Thai Airways International: one inbound from Korea and one outbound to India

• Cathay Pacific Airways: both outbound and inbound to Hong Kong

• EVA Air: to and from Taipei

• Ethiopian Airlines: inbound from Ethiopia and outbound to Hong Kong

• Austrian Airline: coming from Kuala Lumpur

• LTU (Air Berlin): flights to Germany

• Nok Air: to Kuala Lumpur

• Bangkok Airways: two flights to Phuket and one to Samui. It also operates five flights a week from Samui to Hong Kong and daily flights to Singapore

Etihad is also planning to operate from U-Tapao, but has not yet confirmed. Lufthansa will transfer customers from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket to transfer with a flight to Germany.

Thanks for that....... now rainman can see that visitors to Thailand are not being held blindfolded and bound behind ringed barbed-wire serving as detention centers.

Edited by sriracha john

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

This ain't the USA.

It is a joke

Almost as funny as comparing Thailand to the USA. :o

If the police or army doesn't act this weekend, perhaps it is time for the foreigners who are stuck in Thailand to drive the PAD out of the airport? I am sure that 30,000 people who want to go home can clean up 3,000 PAD. If the PAD turn violent against the foreigners, the police or army will be forced to act.

.. every time there is a PM that someone doesn't like they will take over the airport until they get what they want.

It's not "someone" - there are tens of thousands of people voluntarily risking their lives for the just cause right now.

It doesn't happen "everytime", it is a real people revolution. Democratic government would have never allowed discontent to reach these proportions.

Most of the PAD demonstrators probably believe they are fighting a just cause.

They do not realize that they are being fooled by a few evil manipulators , whose ultimate goal is to move the clock backwards , because they know that they cannot survive the modern world.

This is futile and will eventually fail.

Ummm, yes, the manipulation will fail, people fighting for just cause won't.

Our president was inept (Bush) but he didn't step down. If the people want a new government, elect it...

Keep in mind that in the US people vote for two poles of power - the president and the Congress, and these two balance each other.

In Thailand the Lower House, the equivalent of Congress, is completely in charge of the executive power and people are left without any venue to express their political opinions for four years.

During Bush years control of both Senate and the Congress has changed - people have spoken, and Bush was very restrained. So yes, Americans could sit him out. Thai rules are different.

Any PAD supporters still holed up at the airport have ZERO sympathy from me if they get hurt or killed. They know what they did, they know what's coming. You can't just seize an international airport and expect to be greeted with flowers and cookies.

If they had seized the JFK or L.A. airport, it would have ended a long time ago, and probably much worse than the Thai police will hopefully end it tonight. As far as I'm concerned, if you run past security at the JFK or L.A. airport, protesting something or not, you get shot in the back before you get anywhere. The Thai government and police have been more than patient, but enough is enough.

This ain't the USA.

It is a joke

Almost as funny as comparing Thailand to the USA. :o

So funny that I don't think that it was intended as a joke.

If the police or army doesn't act this weekend, perhaps it is time for the foreigners who are stuck in Thailand to drive the PAD out of the airport? I am sure that 30,000 people who want to go home can clean up 3,000 PAD. If the PAD turn violent against the foreigners, the police or army will be forced to act.

Or maybe they could keep on driving down to U-Tapao where international flights are operating with eleven different airlines.

Edited by bubba

Join in with who?

Join in with police - but I think they will merely nod consent and watch from the sidelines.

I think so too, God forbid they take a different stance altogether and opt to "protect the people", i.e. side with PAD!

(Highly unlikely I think, just my fervent imagination playing out different scenarios... eugh.. I'd really rather not continue that train of thought!!!)

If the army wait for both sides to attack each other it would also be disastrous, and could even end up going down the same route... **shudders**

Far better that they do nothing and let the government and the keystone cops resolve it.

This one however, is clearly a joke.

What an utter nonsense!

Why is it a joke or nonsense? Do you suggest that the tourists start applying for permanent residence and work permits here? Because that's what they'll need if they can't leave and lose their jobs at home. Clearly the police and army are not doing anything. Nobody is doing anything.

I don't support the PAD but they did test Somchai the PM and he looks so weak I think he should resign. What leader of a civilized nation wouldn't have stopped this on day one and be resorted to scurrying out the back door and hopping over fences and now teleconferencing. He clearly does not wield the respect and power to govern this nation.

Oh, so the head of Thailand must step down because of a complicated political landscape? Democracy at its best! Our president was inept (Bush) but he didn't step down. If the people want a new government, elect it. People need to grow up, stop money grubbing the country and maybe go to a wat and learn Buddhist principles rather than just alking about them and looking pretty.

If he steps down, every idiot every year will think they can intimidate the government and hijack it for the pot of gold (Thai treasury) paying themselves afterward. Thailand will continue to be a joke as long as a small minority of protesters can topple the elected majority's government?

Why can't people just wait 'till the next election like we had to do in the US and legitimate country's do when they dislike their leaders.

...Sure, that'll fix any problem...tell him to step down. I think swift military action and a public declaration the PAD is a terrorist group and seize the funds of their assets, prosecute and seize company's and individual's assets that contribute from here on to PAD.

PAD has nothing to do with the majority of what Thai people want...only the elite snobs money grubbing in usual Thai fashion....anything for money, sell your soul, who cares about anyone else, anyone's rights, liberties or votes...steal the government if you don't like who's elected. That'll make the entire world respect Thailand (it's already a joke).

The bigger question is- will Thailand be a new EMBARGO country and will I be able to visit again if the PAD places a dictator silencing Isaan voters? It could easily happen, it happened to Burma. These idiots have no clue what they're doing! The entire world is condemning them as fascists and developed nations EMBARGO fascist dictatorships! THere goes your exports, sex trade, pirated software and copyright infringement sales right out the door (as if the country supports legitimate honest business in the first place)! What will these idiots do if they're isolated by the world? Never thought of that yet huh?

The PM needs to bring in whatever military, police (who cares, bring in pro-government mafia and deputize them), call in China, US, AUS, UK, UN or whoever wants to come in and monitor and finish this movement off for eternity! Toppling a government is intolerable, especially to insert one the people didn't elect and would restrict voting rights (I dont' care who's behind it and who supports whom)...fascism cannot stand and should be put down by any means neccesary...and if they come in, EMBARGO the fascist country!

errrrr may i just remind you that PPP stole the elections with vote buying and that Somchai was not elected.....

PPP government is illegitimate ... TRT was dissoluted and because of a glitch they could reform under the PPP name but they are the same thieves that were evicted in 2006... if the army did their jobs and threw them all in jail for 10 years Thailand would not be in this mess today....

still, its a good thing to see that finally Thai people will not take any sh*t anymore from the institutionalized MAFIA ass raping their ( our by adoption) beloved country

Oh really? And you will organise that will you?

Didn't you see the news? The blindfolded and bound hostages have been released. People are free to leave Thailand.

Not everyone is able to catch a flight out of U-Tapao.

Why? Because they don't have the additional couple of hundred baht for taxi fare?

Because if you haven't noticed, only a limited number of airlines are landing, not of every country and not nearly enough to get everybody home?

Not everyone is able to catch a flight out of U-Tapao.

Why? Because they don't have the additional couple of hundred baht for taxi fare?

Do you seriously think you can turn a military base handling a few flights a day in a major commercial aviation hub , overnight ?

Take off your yellow blindfolds

Very true. For claiming to be a Buddhist country, Thailand is one of the most dishonest, scam ridden countries on the planet where rule of law never has existed. Pay off the police, and the corruption is from the restaurant, taxi driver all the way to the top. Thailand is the only country where dishonesty is ingrained in children as being OK as long as you save face...by the way, "saving face" and self serving ego's are also non-Buddhist principles. The nation of double standards, lies, deceit all the while claiming they're a religious, Buddhist country (the #1 prostitution country on the planet...oh, but prostitution is illegal in Thailand)! ...Gee, I forgot...they do anything for money, steal the government, pull over cars or bring you to the police station for a bribe, turn off the taxi meter, turn a blind eye to hundreds of tourists murdered...what an amazing country! I want to live there right now!

No wonder Thai news isn't even a blip on the news on my country...no one cares because Thailand is one of the lowest on the respect scale...copyrights? What are those? Let's copy everything, steal everything, sell our family members and lie about it.

Sad because it could be such a successful country but even Thais are pilfering Thailand...anything for personal gain, ethics and morals out the door (oops, I forgot, they teach the kids to lie, cheat and steal when they're young).

My 4 trips there this year and months staying revealed Thailand is also one of the most prejudice countries on the planet, as well. My wife has endured some NASTY treatment from ethnic Thais only because of where she's born and her lack of money to become educated....if they had it their way, she wouldn't be able to vote solely because of her lack of resources when she was young. What nice Buddhists they truly are! By the way, there's no such thing as a pure blood Thai any more than there is a pure blooded UK, American, German, etc. Go far enough back and there was mixing...if there wasn't, we'd all look the same as the first humans on the planet.

It's so sad the good hearted poor suffer from the "my sh don't stink" wealthy dictator mongering class loving stuck up self absorbed, materialistic conceited idiots claiming they have Thailand in their best interest.

They need to take the kid gloves off and quash this crap asap for hijacking the airports and government buildings--It's terrorism! Real democratic nations wouldn't stand for this crap...nail em all, put the rest in jail and be done with it. Let them know if they want to hang around for this life, leave and don't infringe upon other's rights, then deal with the rest swiftly while they commit treason! If they want to protest, let them go to Benja Selee Park or apply for a protest permit and give them a location where it won't disrupt innocent businesses and tourists. Stupidity runs deep, far and wide!

Help me figure that one out: you find this country so disgusting, and yet you've made 4 trips to Thailand this year?! Doesn't compute. Why don't you just rescue your wife to the land of the [__________] (fill in the blanks yourself).

No, it's not perfect. Yes, it has a great lot of problems. No, it's not the only country in the world that faces an upward struggle. Let's face it -- the country has more or less recently gone from rice fields-only to skyscrapers & McDonalds. Partly thanks to your countrymen using it as a convenient & safe base to hammer away at neighboring countries (where the scary Commies live, you know)... Prostitution didn't originate then, but its scale certainly has its roots there.

"...they do anything for money, steal the government...": are you refering to banks, oil and insurance companies in you-know-where here?!? Isn't it a bit hypocritical to point your finger at what "they" are doing wrong in Thailand...? And while we're at it -- religions (or, as it were here, philosophies) have always tried to define ground rules, and have always failed in having people following them, or rather, not circumventing or abusing them. Come off it -- inhowfar are the bible belt pilots of your country any "better"? They go to war over oil, and have the Big Potatoe declaring on TV that it's for the best of the world, and God bless America (does God only bless one side, and the others are satanic by definition?!?).

Not much is a blip on your country's news unless it's associated with stars, stripes, gov't scaremongers and terrorists. At least I don't get FoxNews here, only CNN.

Yes, it's the poor getting hammered here, like everywhere else in the world. What the PAD are doing here is a load of cr@p -- I give you that. And yet, there might be a grain of "something useful" in what they're saying [no, I don't support/agree with them in any sort of way], just as there might have been "something useful" in the 8 years of Bush-induced world chaos.