State Of Emergency Declared

george

Senate Speaker Still Confident Negotiations Can Help End Conflict

The Senate Speaker is confident a negotiation is still considered to be the most effective way to end the current political standoff, and that the military will never stage a coup as some have suggested.

Senate Speaker Prasobsuk Boondej is calling on both sides of the ongoing political conflict to be more rational when dealing with their differences.

He believes that under the current tense situation, a negotiation is the most logical solution without having to resort to violence in disbanding the People’s Alliance for Democracy protests both at Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports.

Prasobsuk also hopes that Friday’s Senate session will be uninterrupted unlike the chaos at the House sitting that ended the session abruptly yesterday.

The Senate Speaker added he is certain that there will not be any coup because such an option is not a viable solution to the current problems.

He stated Army Commander-in-Chief, General Anupong Paojinda’s proposal for a House dissolution is a viable alternative and should be carefully considered.

Meanwhile, the closure of Suvarnabhumi International has affected a large number of Tha-Muslims who planned to take on a pilgrim to the City of Mecca of Saudi Arabia. The PAD, this morning, made the necessary arrangements to ensure that the pilgrims can travel to Mecca as soon as possible.

People Power Party MP Areepen Uttarasin, who chairs the sub-committee on Hajj promotion, said he is discussing with the Foreign Ministry about the issuance of a letter to Iran’s Foreign Ministry, to assure Iran Air that it is safe to transport passengers from the U-Tapao Airport.

Areepen said he believes all stranded Muslims will be able to make their way to Mecca within a few days.

He also asked all related parties to help facilitate the pilgrims, both from within Thailand and nearby countries, in their journey to the Hajj.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 28 November 2008

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

AOT Opens 20 Airports Nationwide to Accomodate Incoming Flights

The country’s airports operator has opened 20 airports across the country to accommodate all airlines while Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang remain under siege.

Airports of Thailand Public Company Limited has collaborated with 20 airports across the country to help solve the current aviation crisis, following the shutdown of Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi earlier this week.

AOT already opened U-Tapao International Airport for all airlines on Thursday to help accomodate incoming flights into Thailand.

Meanwhile, Civil Aviation Department Director General Chaipak Angkhasuwan said that the Transport Ministry has already been in contact with Iran Air about the transport of more than 400 Muslims, who were scheduled to fly to the City of Mecca of Saudi Arabia but were stranded and have been forced to spend three nights at Suvarnabhumi already.

Chaipak said Iran Air was informed to land in U-Tapao to pick up all passengers to the Hajj. He expects all stranded Muslims to be able to take off today.

At the same time, Thailand Post’s Market Communication Manager Parisa Pananond said that the closure of Suvarnabhumi has left some 1,000 mail bags, carrying around 25,000 pieces of posts and mails, including 4,000 express mails, at the airport.

However, she assures that all mails will be sent to the recipients as soon as the airport resumes operations.

Meanwhile, Thai Logistics Federation Chairman Krirkklao Sontimas said that the federation has suggested all stranded merchandises to be transported by land and transported onto the planes in Malaysia and Singapore. He expects the suggested solution to be implemented this evening.

Source: Thailand Outlook - 28 November 2008

Just a question for the idiots on here defending the PAD, have any of you been affected by loss of earnings or had flights cancelled over the past three days?

if any of you say you have been affected this way then I say now you are liars

07-minister.jpg

Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf

(describing American and British troops, who at the time controlled the airport)

"They are not in Baghdad. They are not in control of any airport. I tell you this. It is all a lie. They lie. It is a Hollywood movie. You do not believe them."

=================================================================

kowitwattana190948.jpg

Thailand Interior Minister Kowit Watana

Interior Minister says PAD situation no cause for worry

The Interior Minister says the national situation is not a cause for concern as police and authorities have full control over protesters.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-25

Interior Minister assures sensitive approach to deal with PAD

The Interior Minister has affirmed that sensitive techniques would be adopted to deal with the protesters.

Interior Minister Kowit Watana has been tasked by the administration to oversee dealings with the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

It has subsequently entrusted Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner Pol. Lt. Col. Suchart Muankaew to deal with protesters at Don Muang airport with the aid of the Royal Thai Air Force.

Kowit assured today (November 28) that all dealings with protesters would be conducted in a sensitive and peaceful manner.

The minister was scheduled to meet with police and military officials to discuss the issue at an undisclosed location today.

Prime Minister and the Defense Minister are scheduled to speak via teleconferencing with authorities within the Ministry of Interior today.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-28

I was only suggesting the possibility of looking at one of the flights that are operating from U-Tapao for those who are desperate to get out, but perhaps not desperate enough to join your posse.

What part don't you get of the fact that not every airline, not to every country, flies out of U-Tapao? Or are you suggesting that tourists from Madrid fly to Paris and then walk the rest of the distance with 2 small children and all the luggage? The last I heard, all flights out of U-Tapao were twice the regular price and all airplanes fully booked.

Did you think about the fact that not everyone can get a flight and not everyone can afford to pay twice the price?

I believe I understand that not every airline is operating a regular schedule out of U-Tapao. On the other hand, I hadn't heard that there were no flights operating between Paris and Madrid. Your reference regarding the double price tickets out of U-Tapao would be appreciated. Do you have a link?

And again, I've already deferred to your much more realistic and logical alternative that you have suggested: organising an angry mob of farang to liberate Suvarnabhumi from PAD. I can almost visualise those tourists with two small children running amok. I'm with you on your posse, just let me know where to sign up.

And I won't reply further here to your gibberish.

:o about what I was expecting ... sorry that sucks! But if the PAD can get rid of the vestiges of Thaksin from Thai politics then it is worth it overall!

Is it worth ruining the economy over 1 man? The last nation that tried this is the United States, ruining the economy over 1 man (bin Laden). It failed.

07-minister.jpg

Iraqi Information Minister Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf

(describing American and British troops, who at the time controlled the airport)

"They are not in Baghdad. They are not in control of any airport. I tell you this. It is all a lie. They lie. It is a Hollywood movie. You do not believe them."

=================================================================

kowitwattana190948.jpg

Thailand Interior Minister Kowit Watana

Interior Minister says PAD situation no cause for worry

The Interior Minister says the national situation is not a cause for concern as police and authorities have full control over protesters.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-25

Interior Minister assures sensitive approach to deal with PAD

The Interior Minister has affirmed that sensitive techniques would be adopted to deal with the protesters.

Interior Minister Kowit Watana has been tasked by the administration to oversee dealings with the anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD).

It has subsequently entrusted Metropolitan Police Bureau Commissioner Pol. Lt. Col. Suchart Muankaew to deal with protesters at Don Muang airport with the aid of the Royal Thai Air Force.

Kowit assured today (November 28) that all dealings with protesters would be conducted in a sensitive and peaceful manner.

The minister was scheduled to meet with police and military officials to discuss the issue at an undisclosed location today.

Prime Minister and the Defense Minister are scheduled to speak via teleconferencing with authorities within the Ministry of Interior today.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-28

The rumors among PAD leaders at Gov't House right now is that the government has given the PAD until 3PM to leave. Hopefully, this is just another false rumor as nobody is leaving Gov't House.

So with an attitude like this, why exactly are you living in Thailand, amongst Thai people, who are struggling to solve a huge rift that has been created by the ex PM

isn't the rift over vote-buying and was it not Thai people who actually sold themselves for a few Baht. Maybe exactly the same people, ironically, who now sit as human shields in the airport for pretty much the same amount and a few sandwiches thrown in.

come on, those Thais are not struggling now -- but they will, after they messed up their economy and public standing in the eye of the world for good. Lets see who will hand out their bowl of rice then.

Have you been paying any attention to current affairs over the last 2/3 years

I have, much longer than that BTW. This is why 'idealism' is duly replaced by 'cynicism'.

In the end it's all about the money, and this starts form the small guy selling his soul for a bowl of rice to the big players selling the whole country for their games. In the end it is totally exchangeable if their name might be Thaksin or Sondhi, they are all pure self-interest.

I am just curious how you have been able to keep the rose-tinted glasses on, must have needed some force to prevent them from being pulled off.

So what do you guys think is PAD next move? Is it just going to be a long stand of or will they hijack another place as well? I wouldn´t be surprised if some PAD held their "meeting" at Siam BTS station forcing both BTS lines to shut down.

Maybe they should shut down Nana, Cowboy, and Patpong. :o

< snipped >

I've already deferred to your much more realistic and logical alternative that you have suggested: organising an angry mob of farang to liberate Suvarnabhumi from PAD. I can almost visualise those tourists with two small children running amok. I'm with you on your posse, just let me know where to sign up.

Clearly you've never dealt with a soiled diaper. They're lethal weapons during any siege.

Edited by sriracha john

this shoukd answer some questions coming up previously with regard to overstay:

Phuket Immigration Police Superintendent Chanatpol Yongbunjerd has confirmed that any travelers stranded in Thailand by the closure of Bangkok’s two airports will be exempted from paying overstay fines.

Immigration headquarters in Bangkok has instructed immigration officers nationwide to extend “special assistance” to stranded travelers, just as it did in the wake of the 2004 tsunami disaster, he said.

So what do you guys think is PAD next move? Is it just going to be a long stand of or will they hijack another place as well? I wouldn´t be surprised if some PAD held their "meeting" at Siam BTS station forcing both BTS lines to shut down.

Yes they "hijacked" the airport ... they climbed in and said take us to a land that Thaksin does not call the shots in! When they disembark there is a very good chance that they will have arrived!

But to answer your question, I think BTS is safe :o

< snipped >

I've already deferred to your much more realistic and logical alternative that you have suggested: organising an angry mob of farang to liberate Suvarnabhumi from PAD. I can almost visualise those tourists with two small children running amok. I'm with you on your posse, just let me know where to sign up.

Clearly you've never dealt with a soiled diaper. They're lethal weapons during any siege.

having been personally affected by the PADs actions I don't agree with your stance John, however this comment is funny :o

:o about what I was expecting ... sorry that sucks! But if the PAD can get rid of the vestiges of Thaksin from Thai politics then it is worth it overall!

Is it worth ruining the economy over 1 man? The last nation that tried this is the United States, ruining the economy over 1 man (bin Laden). It failed.

You don't really believe that old fiery tale surly, Bin laden was no more of a threat than Rupert the bloody Bear

Why would one worry bout the 'afte' of a few foreigners, when the future of an entire country is at stake.

Are foreigners more important than Thais? Is that what you're saying?

If foreigners are not important, why is the airport being targeted?

Swammy was stormed to stop Somchai from landing.

But now, having got used to first class lounge and clean toilet, who would want to go back to the tent on the lawn of GH using mobile smelly loos. Do you know how cold and wet it is on a stormy night at GH?

At least I am one that is not going back to the tent. I also brought my beddings and mobile phone charger. Even the shower is very nice here.

Edited by BowmoreIslay

easy solution , split the country into two , Thaksin can be head of changmai and the north where he spent all the budget !! And the south and Bangkok can get back to real living making money and stimulating the economy . How about making nakon si Thamarat the capital once again. The South has Samui, Phuket rice and shrimps with bangkok as the economic banking centre who needs Issan and Chang mai !!! Let them stay there and rip off the north . we do not want anything to do with TRT or PPP down here.

of course i doubt anyone will support this view but having read all the other stupid comments i only thought it fair to add my own , anyone who doesnt like it please feel free to blockade my driveway for as long as you want in what ever colours you want xxx

Meanwhile, the closure of Suvarnabhumi International has affected a large number of Tha-Muslims who planned to take on a pilgrim to the City of Mecca of Saudi Arabia. The PAD, this morning, made the necessary arrangements to ensure that the pilgrims can travel to Mecca as soon as possible.

Disbale security and let people in???? Are the pad begging for more trouble?

Maybe they should shut down Nana, Cowboy, and Patpong. :o

OK, that's definetly the end of tourism!!

Purely loss of income from a contract job.

One of the vestiges of Thaksin is his awakening the poor to the power that they can exert in a democracy. How do you get rid of that? Or do you really think those nice middle class folk camped out at the ariport welcome the prospect of footing the bill for the populist policies which any elected government is now going to have to offer if it hopes to win an election---- OH- I get it- just get rid of elections.

Edited by blaze

So what do you guys think is PAD next move? Is it just going to be a long stand of or will they hijack another place as well?

Yes they "hijacked" the airport ...

Presently, the PAD have said they will not leave, but will also not interfere with the airport's day to day operations. The Airport Authority has said they will keep the airport closed until all of the PAD leave. Nothing is ever black and white.

So what do you guys think is PAD next move? Is it just going to be a long stand of or will they hijack another place as well?

Presently, the PAD have said they will not leave, but will also not interfere with the airport's day to day operations. The Airport Authority has said they will keep the airport closed until all of the PAD leave. Nothing is ever black and white.

Really? So when the roads were all blocked and hunderds sat in the entrance and check in areas the airport was supposed to just stay open?

The airport took the desicion because they were forced to.

Really? So when the roads were all blocked and hunderds sat in the entrance and check in areas the airport was supposed to just stay open?

The airport took the desicion because they were forced to.

Look at your watch. Look at your calendar. That was then and now is now. Talk to some of the seniors at the airlines. Right now, it is the Airport Authority's decision to keep it closed.

Having said the above, it may be a decision they have to make based on their insurance, or it may be political or it may be something else. Who knows, but that is the situation as of right now.

Edited by Old Man River

I was only suggesting the possibility of looking at one of the flights that are operating from U-Tapao for those who are desperate to get out, but perhaps not desperate enough to join your posse.

What part don't you get of the fact that not every airline, not to every country, flies out of U-Tapao? Or are you suggesting that tourists from Madrid fly to Paris and then walk the rest of the distance with 2 small children and all the luggage? The last I heard, all flights out of U-Tapao were twice the regular price and all airplanes fully booked.

Did you think about the fact that not everyone can get a flight and not everyone can afford to pay twice the price?

I believe I understand that not every airline is operating a regular schedule out of U-Tapao. On the other hand, I hadn't heard that there were no flights operating between Paris and Madrid. Your reference regarding the double price tickets out of U-Tapao would be appreciated. Do you have a link?

And again, I've already deferred to your much more realistic and logical alternative that you have suggested: organising an angry mob of farang to liberate Suvarnabhumi from PAD. I can almost visualise those tourists with two small children running amok. I'm with you on your posse, just let me know where to sign up.

for your information , flights leaving from U-tapao are for the people who ALREADY had a ticket and were stranded on the first night , then they will fly the people stranded on the second day and so on.... if you have a ticket , just wait your turn , provided the airline you flied in with made arrangement to fly from there.

a thai friend of mine who works and lives in france just came back from etihad offices , they offer the hotel tonight and transfer to U-tapao for tomorrow's flight to abu dhabi for the people who missed the 8:40 am flight on november 26. She went there 90 minutes ago and is already booked on tomorrow's flight.

People have to go to their airline office and let the airline know they are ready to go.