State Of Emergency Declared

george

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course they will. As well the court already issued some prohibitions to some tear gas (I don't know the details) for the October 7 crackdown.

Oh dear, does this mean that the police and navy won't be able to put tear gas into the Suvarnabhumi aircon system to flush the PAD b*****ds out? That is surely preferable to a bloodbath - which not even I (as an self-confessed PAD despiser) want??

Anyway, thanks to this PAD scum, my sister will no longer be able to visit me for a week from tomorrow as the 2nd leg of her flight from Paris via Dubai has now been cancelled. No doubt, all the gross inconvenience which their dastardly actions are causing to foreign tourists is what all those PAD farang-haters holed up at Suvarnabhumi are solely smiling about with broad grins, according to the television pics I've seen.

In this connection, 1 thing you seem conveniently to forget in your blind support of PAD, h90, is that Sondi and his clique have solemnly avowed time and time again that the first action of any new PAD-backed administration must be to kick out all farang from Thailand, regardless of their reasons for being here and their family connections with the country. It therefore seems to me that you are rather shooting yourself in the foot.

Tourism body Chief: : State of emergency tarnishes Thailand’s image

Tourism Council of Thailand (TCT)’s President Mr. Kongkrit Hirankit disapproved of the government’s declaration of a State of Emergency at two seized airports, reasoning the country’s image was being ruined.

At the same time, Mr. Kongkrit agreed with the Army Chief General Anupong Paochinda’s measures, announced on Wednesday (November 26), to tackle the prevailing political situations and restore peace to the country.

Gen. Anupong had earlier advised Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to dissolve the lower House and address the situation without force.

Mr. Kongkrit said on Thursday that the government should not have declared the state of emergency, as it may escalate and stir up the crisis. He also urged relevant parties to come together and bring the matters into an end without coup.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-28

I have just come back from standby as part of the medical teams mentioned earlier.

I also have my doubts about wether we can handle a large scale incident with only 30 or so ambulances (More than 30 teams now).

I could see the PAD from where we are stationed, at the Novatel, and they seem VERY organised and in control. Up at 6am and to bed at 11pm. They are openly armed and have dug up the paved roads so only a 4 wheel drive or tank could get through. But they do have a heavily protected road in and out. Journalists walk amongst them freely and we sit on the edge of it all sleeping in our ambulances or on the roadside. I have also seen a truckload of new people come in, it seems they are still free to come and go as they please.

I think the reason more ambulances are not on standby is that these same ambulances have been on standby since the begining of the occupation of the parliment buildings months ago, and are worn out and have now been reduced in number, although last night our team was called up after the state of emergency. Im home now for a sleep and back there at 6am tomorrow for another 24 hour shift.

I can only forsee alot of bloodshed as the PAD has dug itself in so well.

Of interest is that, apparently, there are a couple of hundred arab/muslims held up in the airport Mosque!? Unconfirmed but is what I was told last night.

post-23668-1227849171_thumb.jpg

Mr BK this is no joke. And no cake baking. The primciple of crowd control is same in airport or prisons. Anyone with military or police experience will know this. This is how to control a crowd. I did it for many years and you did not so do not pretend to have knowledge you do not possess. I am not security guard and the PAD slingshots will do nothing once the airport is filled with gas. As for guns, if some one shoots the police will return fire as is their job. You obviously have not experienced a riot situation. Guns are useles when you cannot breathe. PAD must breathe too, you know. There will probably be injuries at the very least if police must regain the airport by force but there is much less injury using chemical agents than brute force. I have never seen one death occur from chemical agents in my career, but I have seen many when they were not employed.

I don't support the PAD but they did test Somchai the PM and he looks so weak I think he should resign. What leader of a civilized nation wouldn't have stopped this on day one and be resorted to scurrying out the back door and hopping over fences and now teleconferencing. He clearly does not wield the respect and power to govern this nation.

Changing the venue of official government meetings the 3rd time, this time to the Shin/TRT/UDD stronghold of Chiang Mai, because he did let things slip ever further, whilst waiting for orders and sitting on his hands, as if nothing happened....

The bird has flown...

From ABC News Online

PM avoids Bangkok

Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat will remain in the northern city of Chiang Mai "indefinitely" because of the tensions with the military, a government spokesman said.

Mr Somchai was forced to land in Chiang Mai from a trip abroad on Wednesday after the protesters seized control of the airports.

"As there are still uncertainties in the tensions between the government and army, for his safety the Prime Minister will stay in Chiang Mai," Government spokesman Suparat Nakbunnam said.

"He has no schedule to return to Bangkok, he will stay in Chiang Mai indefinitely for his security."

Cabinet ministers flew to Chiang Mai for an urgent meeting on Thursday, effectively setting up a government in exile from the capital, which remains cut off by air from the rest of the world.

Chiang Mai is a pro-government stronghold and the home town of the exiled former premier Thaksin Shinawatra, who is accused by protesters of continuing to control the present elected government.

"From now on officials will not disclose the Prime Minister's daily schedule to outsiders. He will coordinate with ministers by telephone," Mr Suparat said.

Reporters in Chiang Mai said no one seen had Mr Somchai on Friday morning, even at his residence in the city.

PM has no schedule to return to Bangkok, apparently fearing coup: spokeswoman

Chiang Mai - Deputy Government Spokeswoman Suparat Nakboonnam said Friday that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has no schedule to return to Bangkok in the near future.

She said Somchai decided to remain in Chiang Mai as part of security measures due to uncertainty related to the moves of the armed forces.

I see he's hunkering down at the Chiang Mai Bunker... any word from the War Room?

Looks like Somchai is retreating to the hills. :o

communicating from his Chiang Mai Bunker to the War Room in Bangkok by ham radio...

War Room set up to monitor airport's situation

Minister of Transport Santi Promphat ordered an establishment of a War Room on Wednesday in order to observe passengers’ situations and cargo business at Suvarnabhumi international airport around the clock.

- ThaiNews / 2008-11-27

Thais can be so so kind and nice.

They are quick to give food and help if needed.

They are flexible. So problems can be solved.

The problem is when you treat people like a sub-class--they of course become a problem for a nation.

the people in Issan want their equal rights.

It would be like in America where Black people were treated so badly for so long. Of course the crime rates and divorce rates went up sky high among the group. You cannot treat people badly and deny them opportunity and then blame them for their fall. Well I suppose you can but if you do you are stupid. People are born with certain unalienable rights. Among them are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Issan people and the poor need Rights here. The Elite want to treat them as 2nd class citizens. people up North want no more of it.

Meltdown is coming unless a Ghandi like character can rise to take control.

Violence IS NOT the answer is it.

Economic terrorism is being used by the group at the airport to put down an elected government that supports the people of Issan and the North. Problem is that it can go both ways. Issan people can also attack.

Brother against brother is coming unless the Elite backs off.

If I were a betting man, and I am--HAA HAA--I would bet on an economic collapse in Thailand and a severe recession soon. The baht will be closer to 50 than to 30 against the US dollar soon.

Tourism will be dead in the water.

The land of smiles could become the Land of tears.

What a bleedin' joke.

After all of the muscle flexing and the SOE what happens? NOTHING, not only do the police do nowt, but they don't even turn up. This shows just what an incompetent bunch of fools this government really are and the sooner they are gone the better because asides from other things, this country needs a leader.

For the time being though it looks as though Anupong is boss. He has gotten his toys out for everybody else to see and his toys are the biggest and the best. Somchai has nothing but a borrowed train set and even that does nothing but go round in circles because it doesn't have any straight bits.

The world is having a good old giggle at Thailand's expense again.

What a bunch of numpties.

don't get it? of course nothing happen. what should happen? hwho was and is muscle flexing? has battle and warrior chants?

someone make his hands dirty with the PAD cult? No. PAD is Scum nobody want to touch. PAD got more or less irgnored like an internet troll and that since month. i told that before was laughed out for this. somchai still there and PAD strenght declining. losing. anything achieved from, the PAD goals. No, Nothing. zero. 34 last wars and 1 final battle. 57 times claimed victory. and so what. what happens. Nothing. stinky Scum - don't touch. that is exact the strategy. brilliant!

first: HURRA HURRA. rattle, rattle, rattle. PAD Scum got the airport and... and now? who cares about scumbags. other things are more important, much more. look into a calendar, must be a thai calender.

how cares if someone outside can not tell thailand from taiwan sees a 2 minutes news clip and than switch the channel.

if you think in the long run, global and economic wise and want there a future, don't hang out with the PAD scum.

ignore them. nobody will come and kick theier butts. that is only the PAD scum wet dream. will not happen.

there will also not be a team Red attack. No, nothing like this will happen. why they should do that?

the only question right now is: WHAT WILL THE PAD DO NEXT?

proPAD cult zombies, any ideas? something new on new politics? you can go home now.

And yet again ......... those threatening, insultive words against the PAD and those who sympathise with them!

Have another beer!

I don't support the PAD but they did test Somchai the PM and he looks so weak I think he should resign. What leader of a civilized nation wouldn't have stopped this on day one and be resorted to scurrying out the back door and hopping over fences and now teleconferencing. He clearly does not wield the respect and power to govern this nation.

Changing the venue of official government meetings the 3rd time, this time to the Shin/TRT/UDD stronghold of Chiang Mai, because he did let things slip ever further, whilst waiting for orders and sitting on his hands, as if nothing happened....

I believe PM Somchai's Chiang Mai residence has already been semi-officially acronym-ized as the CMB (Chiang Mai Bunker).

interestingly last night, the Cabinet Meeting held in his basement yesterday was dubbed CMB2 (Cabinet Meeting Bullshite)

Edited by sriracha john

Also regarding the contact lenses, I misspoke myself. The lens will fuse to your eyeball. Whenever there is a riot orm other situation in a public venue, there may be chilldren and seniors present. It is not always possible to segregate the combatants. The point is the agents are non-lethal, and the use of them is more humane and results in less death or injury than storming the place which willresult in gunfire and a good chance of innocents getting killed in crossfire. This is comon sense. I sent email to my old co-workers in NY and they find it hard to believe that some people on this forum are so clueless. Even non-law enforcement types should realize what needs to be done here.

Cabinet ministers flew to Chiang Mai for an urgent meeting on Thursday, effectively setting up a government in exile from the capital, which remains cut off by air from the rest of the world.

CMB2

Reporters in Chiang Mai said no one seen had Mr Somchai on Friday morning, even at his residence in the city.

CMB

Edited by sriracha john

don't know what hidden hand is actually behind all this and what does it want. you wanna finish this government and wanna hold new elections? ok do it, or you want this government to obey and bow before you and do all it can for you? ok ask them to do so....but what does this mean to prolong it and disturb the whole nation, business, daily life and ruin the whole country's peace and image.....what a hidden working hand....

Chamlong says senior person calls him to end protests

Chamlong Srimuang, a co-leader of the People's Alliance for Democracy, said Friday morning that a senior person called him to end the rallies against the government.

Speaking to the crowd at a PAD rally site at the Don Mueang Airport, Chamlong said he replied that the people could not stop.

He said although a lot of damages have been done to the country's economy, the PAD was not the source of the problem.

He said the government was the source of the problem so the PAD would not stop until the government resigns and cancels its plan to amend the Constitution.

Source: The Nation - 28 November 2008

This story right here goes to show that the PAD are NOT protecting the power group as some have speculated, and that they are NOT working together.

To me this shows that the PAD are essentially committed only to their own cause and nothing else matters, not even the requests of a senior person.

With this stance Chamlong I suspect has sealed his fate along with his supporters.

Batten down the hatches.

The statement also shows those often accused of colluding with the PAD are trying their best to end the situation. They are in a nice neutral position as are the military. Some would say the resolution to the crisis will finally come from the perceived center so it is a very good place to be.

The statement also removes the influential person from criticism over what comes next in the act, and some speculate that the PAD are a actually a group that can be sacrificed setting up the conditions for a solution by a third force.

I agree this would logically follow, so long as my supposition on the identity of the senior person is correct, which as OMR points out we will never truly know, but in this light it does seem likely because it provides a very neat solution for that group.

This needs to end now. It is clear that the PAD will not leave, so the police must force them out immediately. Preferably without, but if needed, with force. It is simply no longer acceptable. There are tens of thousands of tourists who must go home to their job. If they can't return, they will possibly lose their jobs. Children can't go to school. Medical patients can't fly to get treatment.

This IS terrorism and the government/police/army need to act now.

Also regarding the contact lenses, I misspoke myself. The lens will fuse to your eyeball. Whenever there is a riot orm other situation in a public venue, there may be chilldren and seniors present. It is not always possible to segregate the combatants. The point is the agents are non-lethal, and the use of them is more humane and results in less death or injury than storming the place which willresult in gunfire and a good chance of innocents getting killed in crossfire. This is comon sense. I sent email to my old co-workers in NY and they find it hard to believe that some people on this forum are so clueless. Even non-law enforcement types should realize what needs to be done here.

and even law enforcement types should realize that is for the Prime Minister to resign.

Your co-workers back in NY might even agree with that one if you emailed them and asked.

why is everything so quiet? same images portrayed on the tv. same news. same bullshit. when is some action, whatever it may be happens? today? tomorrow? next week? anyone with some fresh news?

That's because nobody is doing anything. Nobody has the will to do anything.

This needs to end now. It is clear that the PAD will not leave, so the police must force them out immediately. Preferably without, but if needed, with force. It is simply no longer acceptable. There are tens of thousands of tourists who must go home to their job. If they can't return, they will possibly lose their jobs. Children can't go to school. Medical patients can't fly to get treatment.

This IS terrorism and the government/police/army need to act now.

They've had ample time to do something so far, arguably with the support of the majority, and they haven't.

If this government is really a true supporter of democracy they should resign and call new elections, with the premise they can form another party in time should the PPP be dissolved.

Stand off over, arrest the PAD leaders and return to normalcy as soon as feasibly possible.

So in reading through the posts here Somchai is in Chiang Mai and has said he has no intentions to return to Bangkok any time soon. And another post says he hasn't been seen, even at his residence. Obviously, Somchai does not have the strength or leadership to be in Bangkok during the state of emergency that he himself announced. But:

Is this the beginnings of the new Republic of Lanna?

Or has Somchai perhaps crawled across the border in Tachilek on his belly, as did many of the PPP during the last coup?

I agree this would logically follow, so long as my supposition on the identity of the senior person is correct, which as OMR points out we will never truly know, but in this light it does seem likely because it provides a very neat solution for that group.

I think it would be optimistic to see a neat solution involving the sacrifice of the PAD AND the govt., with the army and whoever coming out on top. I think it has gone past that stage. My supposition is that now there has to be negotiations between army et al and govt. to find a workable solution for both to come out on top.

Final result is PAD are still sacrificed. There is too much at stake for either govt or army to lose but they can have a common purpose if they are decimating the PAD and there is a solution to reunify the country in doing so.

If this negotiation can be pulled off we see a consensus which calls checkmate and bye bye to the PAD.

why is everything so quiet? same images portrayed on the tv. same news. same bullshit. when is some action, whatever it may be happens? today? tomorrow? next week? anyone with some fresh news?

The last State of Emergency was issued Sept. 2. It lasted xx days xx hours and xx minutes and achieved: Nothing.

Edited by sriracha john