Vintage Bikes: Cheap And Plentiful?

relic

Recently I've become more than a little fixated on picking up an old Honda motorcycle (1960s - 70s) with a little character and tooling around the Thai countryside. Admittedly, it will be my first bike and mostly a hobby, so I'm looking for a 70 - 90cc beast of a machine. In Canada, I've noticed these vintage bikes can reach upwards of $2000 CAD (60,000 baht) and since I refuse to pay anywhere near that amount for a potentially (and more than likely) unreliable bike, I was hoping someone would be able to give me some info.

Are such bikes (in running condition) a common sight in the LOS, or are they purely the pastime of greying 50-somethings in the West? Secondly, how much? I'll attach a photo of the style (thereabouts) I'm keen on, in order to trigger any subconscious memories that may be lurking out there. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cub90.jpg

I'm starting to see more and more of those older step-thrus being renovated. I don't think they're from as far back as the 70's though, most likely 90's maybe even 80's.

There's a little bike repair shop in a klong-side community not far from me that I pass most days that restores them. I'm sure I've seen others here and there. Ride around your own area and I'm sure you'll find one too.

Check out some of the Thai bike mags in the shops. Sometimes they have features on a restored bike or two. Don't buy the mags, just stand there and flick through them until you see what you're looking for.

Edited by Gazza

We bought an older honda 125 dream with 900Km for 10,000Bt a couple of years ago. after looking for a while. The bike ran very well with just some minor repairs. When my wife came to Canada earlier this year we gave it to her younger brother, who is hard on bikes, and it's still running fine.

I think you would be happier with a larger bike like a 125 if you are even close to my size (185 pounds) or plan on having a rider. Anything smaller really bogs down on hills and does not have any snap on the highway.

For 50-60.000Bt you can buy a new bike in Thailand.

Thanks for the input. I'll take that advice on getting the bigger bike, as I probably will have a passenger from time to time and will need the juice. If you don't mind my asking lukamar, about how much did it cost to get the bike back to Canada?

We left the bike in Chiang Mai for my wife's brother. He gave his bike to the youngest brother. I would check with Transport Canada and Customs before you buy anything so you have the info.

You the "Relic" that used to have a big old Black car in Edgemont District of N Van?

I've got a Honda Dream that's nearly 20 years old, it goes, well, like a dream.

:o

My landlady gave it to me as a rusted old wreck, I spent a bit over 10,000baht restoring it and now I ride it every day.

Just last week as I was on my visa run to Poipet I saw a club of vintage Honda riders - there were probably 20 or so bikes, all much older than mine, all going quite a long way, as they were miles from anywhere at the servo where we stopped.

If you're looking for something that's not already restored you can find them in the 5 to 10 thousand baht range.

Edited by Merlin

There are lots of very old Honda's running around my home town, Phrae.

Some are only just running  and some are fully restored.

I agree with the prices from Merlin

I picked up a Yamaha 750 a year ago and went through it, paid 39K with a book put another 40 K i it. But is a great touring bike. The answer is they are all over the place and easy to get repaired the trick getting one with a book.