Boycott Thailand!

nopainnobrain

Hello, everyone.

I encourage you to refrain from travelling to Thailand even after the situation calms down.

Thailand and Thai people must realize how much they have lost due to the demonstrations, riots, making Suvarnabhumi airport out of order, etc.

I had been travelling to Thailand until last winter and I was also going to go there next year with a friend but we have changed our mind and will spend our winter/spring holiday somewhere else. Fortunately, there are many other places in the world worth visiting, with beautiful landscapes, delicious cuisine and friendly people.

IMHO Thailand shouldn't be referred to as a "Land of Smiles" any more.

Maybe everything will seem to have calmed down in next days but there's no guarantee that anything won't happen again soon, in a few weeks/months.

I know that many people from all over the world are planning to spend New Year's holiday in Thailand (and probably hesitating now) but I don't recommend it. Have you read about a couple that were going to spend their honeymoon in Pattaya (if I remember well) but were stranded at the Suvarnabhumi airport? They said they are dreaming of going back to their country as soon as possible and not coming back to Thailand any more...

Who should take responsibility for all the incidents in your opinion? And how should the people whose lifes have changed due to these incidents be recompensed? Do you think that giving them back their money (travel costs etc.) will be enough and solve the problem?

I think that sometimes moral damages can be worse than material ones...

I don't think you have a lot of followers my dear friend. And the few thousands who don't ever want to come back here will not avert the die-hard Thailand fanatics either. I have lived and vacationed in Thailand quite a lot and lived through coups and protests, but that will not deter me from going there as soon as the situation calms down. I have friends and vacation interests that go beyond politics. So as long as nobody is dying and people aren't being randomly shot on the streets, I will still go. Boycotting an entire country by not traveling there will not work and never will, just look at all those regimes!. Last time I heard Burma and North Korea's dictatorships are still playing the field even though they don't get a lot of visitors due to boycotts and bans.

Edited by doczenith83

there is no need for a boycott - thailand is already deeply affected by what's happening.

most important, there is no abuse of human rights and no bloodshed, like in burma, china, indonesia, pakistan, india

Not yet, but past history suggests otherwise.

there is no need for a boycott - thailand is already deeply affected by what's happening.

most important, there is no abuse of human rights and no bloodshed, like in burma, china, indonesia, pakistan, india

Not yet, but past history suggests otherwise.

"No abuse of human rights" Really?

there was some major abuse of the human rights back when taksin was clearing drug dealers and users (some 2500 killed), on a similar scale still is going on in the south with insurgents/separatists, the OP is refering the the recent protests and occupations as a reason for a boycott

there was some major abuse of the human rights back when taksin was clearing drug dealers and users (some 2500 killed), on a similar scale still is going on in the south with insurgents/separatists, the OP is refering the the recent protests and occupations as a reason for a boycott

The OP is saying "most important, there is no abuse of human rights and no bloodshed, like in burma, china, indonesia, pakistan, india" are you saying burma, china, indonesia, pakistan, india have had airport sit ins with abuse? The way I read it the OP has made a broad sweeping statement that what goes on in those countries never happens in Thailand.

Edited by garyh

Just spoke with the parents of a friend.

Must be approx. 70

Should fly on the 8 Dec.

They told they don't worry, will be everything fine till Dec. 8.

That really surprised me...what news are in Sweden? Or are the swedish so brave?

Quite a few of us live here with our Thai spouses. Believe me, our (Thai) families are just as concerned about the situation as you/we are particularly if we live in Bangkok. Your choice to explore other parts of the world is up to you. Let others make their own decisions. We still have friends and family planning to visit us next year and we know in our hearts they will be here-come hel_l or high water!!!

Hello, everyone.

I encourage you to refrain from travelling to Thailand even after the situation calms down.

Thailand and Thai people must realize how much they have lost due to the demonstrations, riots, making Suvarnabhumi airport out of order, etc.

I had been travelling to Thailand until last winter and I was also going to go there next year with a friend but we have changed our mind and will spend our winter/spring holiday somewhere else. Fortunately, there are many other places in the world worth visiting, with beautiful landscapes, delicious cuisine and friendly people.

Maybe everything will seem to have calmed down in next days but there's no guarantee that anything won't happen again soon, in a few weeks/months.

I know that many people from all over the world are planning to spend New Year's holiday in Thailand (and probably hesitating now) but I don't recommend it. Have you read about a couple that were going to spend their honeymoon in Pattaya (if I remember well) but were stranded at the Suvarnabhumi airport? They said they are dreaming of going back to their country as soon as possible and not coming back to Thailand any more...

Who should take responsibility for all the incidents in your opinion? And how should the people whose lifes have changed due to these incidents be recompensed? Do you think that giving them back their money (travel costs etc.) will be enough and solve the problem?

Drama Queen!!!

Why dont you go holiday in Mumbai???

Hello, everyone.

And boycotting Thailand is going to help is it? :o

Thanks but no thanks and i'm glad to say most people that I know are indeed carrying on with their travel plans and are waiting to travel as we speak. :D

The OP is saying "most important, there is no abuse of human rights and no bloodshed, like in burma, china, indonesia, pakistan, india"

if you read the thread carefully you will spot, that it was me bringbing the subject of human abuse in the region.

don't compare airport sit ups with hundreds of dead on some days

Airport closed, global recession, over valued currency. I think the boycott is already taking place. Anyone for Benidorm this winter ?

Last time I went to Spain for a weekend break - Majorca (June 2001?) - the airport was shut for 2 days - baggage handlers strike. The OP needs to get out more and realise Travel of all sorts has its problems

Thailand is a fantastic place to come and the PAD should be shown they cannot change peoples habits by this sort of behaviour. My wife hates the PAD as do the majority of Thais she knows, but then her family and friends are not rich and powerful :o

I have some friends arriving next week. I live in Pattaya and they have decided if there is a problem they will fly to Cambodia and I will drive and meet them at the Cambodia border. So **** the PAD! :D

Edit: In fact it may have been a coach drivers strike , or was that Greece the next year...

Edited by dsfbrit

Most people in Thailand do not support the PAD. This is why the PAD will not accept new elections. Who do you want to hurt by a boycott?

Most people in Thailand do not support the PPP. This is why the PPP-led coalition-government will not accept new elections. Who do you want to hurt by a boycott ? :o

Humm no pain no brain, sums it up very well, if you don't want to come back then don't but stayiing away affects all Thais not just the few that are holding the country to ransom!

Yep, the more that stay away the merrier it is for the rest of us still here :o

This topic is not about PPP or PAD or politics at all, it is about a country which continues to fail to recognise the value of foreign tourism and investment and which spectacularly shoots itself in the foot at what appears to be every available opportunity. Then it just tries to blot it out with that "mae pen rai" rubbish.

I do not blame anyone for giving Thailand a miss. Many would anyway after the shambles of December 2007 with seemingly half a month of closures in entertainment areas.

With high inflation, an over valued currency, rip offs left right and centre, an unstable political system and basically a tin pot government, there is a great deal one could say to make people think twice about coming back to Thailand. As other places try to make things easier and better for tourists, it seems like Thailand is going in the opposite direction.

As bad as it may be, perhaps this latest airport fiasco will cause a major upheaval which will settle down in a year or two and perhaps provide a bedrock for a decade or more of stability. I hope so, but I am not hopeful.

The OP is saying "most important, there is no abuse of human rights and no bloodshed, like in burma, china, indonesia, pakistan, india"

if you read the thread carefully you will spot, that it was me bringbing the subject of human abuse in the region.

don't compare airport sit ups with hundreds of dead on some days

I'm not sure how acquainted with fairly recent history. But while the Thaksin government (with Samak’s Peoples Power Government support ) there were hundreds of extrajudicial killings and a hard-line murders in the South. You should research Panlop Binmanee, the Butcher of Krue Sae, for instance.

But yes, I too feel angry about this mob who've effectively held the country to ransom and the government left fairly impotent to act decisively owing to the divisions in Thai society. If things weren't already arranged (and other practicalities) then it's quite possible that I'd be considering elsewhere other than the annual residence, for the larger part of the winter, in Thailand. Maybe next year ?

there was some major abuse of the human rights back when taksin was clearing drug dealers and users (some 2500 killed), on a similar scale still is going on in the south with insurgents/separatists

I don't like to quote myself, but I am tired of writing this same again.

if we are going to correct what we have said before, than this discussion would never end

Fine by me, stay away you peanut. Those of us who are lucky enough to be here when the airport closed are still having a good time, and its still a remarkably peaceful and pleasant country despite the pathetic state of politics.

actually i think it's a more powerful statement to not let the protesters get what they want, so tourists should continue to come to thailand. tourists who boycott or change their plans to not come to thailand are punishing the low income hotel and restaurant workers the most. how cruel to go out of ones way to try to make that statement.

the blame for this is not the PAD, not the crooks in the government, but it is the fault of the police and security that could not control and secure the airport.

that being said, tourists are right to be afraid to come here, and they should go somewhere else. just dont go somewhere else cause you think you're sending some message to the PAD or government or anyone else.

<snip>

Do you honestly believe that the Thai people are unaware of the significances of this matter?

And while you are at it, please tell us all how your own home country has been so bloody brilliant while working through their own political snafus...

(my apologies to this forum, but sometimes when I read these arrogant statements, its just a bit too much... no one country has been perfect... and looking around me, a wee bit of a problem with holiday makers does not equal what some countries have crammed down the nations of the world)

Edited by soundman
Removed flame.

Hello, everyone.

Hello mate -

We'll miss you.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Most people in Thailand do not support the PAD. This is why the PAD will not accept new elections. Who do you want to hurt by a boycott?

Most people in Thailand do not support the PPP. This is why the PPP-led coalition-government will not accept new elections. Who do you want to hurt by a boycott ? :o

Correction:

Most of the Bangkok people don't support PPP.. the want to establish a group who favors their interests and then hand pick 75% of the MP's because rural Thais are too stupid to elect proper officials. PAD has nothing to do with democracy and everything to do with Burma politicos!