Pm Has No Schedule To Return To Bangkok, Apparently Fearing Coup

george

PM has no schedule to return to Bangkok, apparently fearing coup: spokeswoman

CHIANG MAI: -- Deputy Government Spokeswoman Suparat Nakboonnam said Friday that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has no schedule to return to Bangkok in the near future.

She said Somchai decided to remain in Chiang Mai as part of security measures due to uncertainty related to the moves of the armed forces.

All moves of the prime minister will be held confidential for safety reasons, she said.

The prime minister will resort to teleconference meeting with other Cabinet members in Bangkok, she said.

-- The Nation 2008-11-28

------------

Somchai moves government to Chiang Mai

CHIANG MAI: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat will remain in the northern city of Chiang Mai "indefinitely" because of tensions with the military, a government spokesman said.

Somchai was forced to land in Chiang Mai from a trip abroad on Wednesday after anti-government protesters seized control of Bangkok's two airports.

He declared a state of emergency at the airports on Thursday night as rumours of a possible military coup swept the capital, although the army said it was not intervening.

"As there are still uncertainties in the tensions between the government and army, for his safety the prime minister will stay in Chiang Mai," government spokesman Suparat Nakbunnam said.

"He has no schedule to return to Bangkok, he will stay in Chiang Mai indefinitely for his security," Suparat said.

Cabinet ministers flew to Chiang Mai for an urgent meeting on Thursday, effectively setting up a government in exile from the capital, which remains cut off by air from the rest of the world.

-- AFP 2008-11-28

Somchai holds teleconference of permanent secretaries on emergency measures

CHIANG MAI: -- Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat held a videoconference of 40 permanent secretaries and heads of ministry-level agencies at the Interior Ministries.

The meeting was held at the Interior Ministry at 11 am.

The meeting was held for the prime minister to brief the top permanent officials of the emergency, which has been partially declared in Bangkok.

-- The Nation 2008-11-28

Yes but if the army decide not to carry out the government's order of clearing The PAD out of the airports in BKK for risk of causing confrontations and violence, this is a clear vote of no confidence in the current set up. Surely then, the only other option available to them is to overthrow the current leaders!?

This decision could have brought a bigger threat to Chiangmai.... Just hope when I'm out and about tonight I don't see army tanks rolling past warm up! :o

On the off chance that this disinformation piece by the Nation is accurate, I hope this makes Chiang Mai the New Capital of Thailand!!

why do you think that it is disinformation? It sounds very logic to me.....

What I don't understand is why the Prime Minister doesn't go in front of the cameras and explain clearly to the Thai population what's going on. Today the PAD has realized the unity of the Thai people … against them. They clearly went too far. Even people that have always first opposed Thaksin and later the PPP now agree that Somchai's government, even with Thaksin in the background, is better that the current chaos. People who oppose Thaksin don't like the social changes he will bring; they revere peace and social stability. You can easily imagine what is their feeling now.

Somchai should show some leadership, something really missing in Thai politic since Thaksin is gone, and go in front of the camera, explain what's going on, why he can't move, why he can't clear this mess. And name names, put everybody, from the police, the army and the administration, in front of their responsibilities.

It won't provoke a coup or prevent it if it should happen. It won't change anything, just make things faster. And the faster we are out of this mess, the better it is.

What I don't understand is why the Prime Minister doesn't go in front of the cameras and explain clearly to the Thai population what's going on. Today the PAD has realized the unity of the Thai people … against them. They clearly went too far. Even people that have always first opposed Thaksin and later the PPP now agree that Somchai's government, even with Thaksin in the background, is better that the current chaos. People who oppose Thaksin don't like the social changes he will bring; they revere peace and social stability. You can easily imagine what is their feeling now.

Somchai should show some leadership, something really missing in Thai politic since Thaksin is gone, and go in front of the camera, explain what's going on, why he can't move, why he can't clear this mess. And name names, put everybody, from the police, the army and the administration, in front of their responsibilities.

It won't provoke a coup or prevent it if it should happen. It won't change anything, just make things faster. And the faster we are out of this mess, the better it is.

YES but that would be common sense would'nt it....

What I don't understand is why the Prime Minister doesn't go in front of the cameras and explain clearly to the Thai population what's going on
actually he did last night, but nothing useful

bangkokpost

Since his first day in office till today, I cannot see anything useful that was the results of his leadership :o

taking back Thaksins diplomatic passport and at least he could argue that he isn't a proxy. Would decrease the support for PAD.

seems not only Anupong is hunting for them:

From The nation: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30089692

Three parties ordered to deliver closing speech in party-dissolution case on Dec 2

The Constitution Court Friday ordered the People Power Party, Chart Thai Party and Matchima Tipataya Party to deliver their closing statement in the party-dissolution case against them on December 2.

The court held a session at 10:30 am Friday and ordered the parties to send their leaders to deliver closing speech at 9:30 am.

If they do not attend the session, the court will regard that the parties forfeit their right to deliver the closing speech.

The court also dismissed the parties' request to hold more inquiries, saying the court has enough written evidence for deliberation.

The Nation

On the off chance that this disinformation piece by the Nation is accurate, I hope this makes Chiang Mai the New Capital of Thailand!!

Either that or it will be another disaster area just as Don Meung and Suvanabhumi currently are :o

agree ... do we want all that to happen as well at chiangmai airport ... the earlier Somchai get away from chiangmai ... the better the air will be....

Frankly it's been clear from the start how little you do understand about Thai politics and what kind of govt this is. How can Somchai show "leadership"when he only there at the behest of his wife and bro-in-law and has the leadership qualities of a wet blanket? He has not got control of the armed forces or a large part of his own govt and is as lame a duck as there has ever been at the helm. But he cannot just resign as the self-same wife and bro-in-law has not permitted it. So the poor fellow has to go on pretending to be a PM of a country he has dwindling control over and absolute zero legitimacy.

Tell me Pierrot - you're a big fan of democracy, or so you say - how many people ever voted for Mr Somchai? What is his constituency? Or is just being related to a Shinwatra enough in your book? Go on ask yourself some deeper questions on the subject of political legitimacy. :o

Govt to enlist help from Thaksin if coups staged

The government will enlist help from former prime minister Thasksin Shinawatra if a coup is staged against the administration, government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said Friday.

He said thaksin would make phone calls to direct the resistance against the coup on around-the-clock basis.

"If a coup is staged, thaksin will fight against it along side with Thais. He can make phone calls to us 24 hours a day," Natthawut said.

The nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...newsid=30089700

Edit: corrected link

Edited by BangkokBP

The government will enlist help from former prime minister Thasksin Shinawatra if a coup is staged against the administration, government Spokesman Natthawut Saikua said Friday.

He said thaksin would make phone calls to direct the resistance against the coup on around-the-clock basis.

"If a coup is staged, thaksin will fight against it along side with Thais. He can make phone calls to us 24 hours a day," Natthawut said.

The nation

Nattawut Saikua = Toxin's faithful poodle of the moment (has he not learnt the painful lesson of Jakrapob Penkair?) :o

Actually that's not a bad idea, many countries have seats of goverment that are smaller and separate from their major cities of commerce etc. Political protest, at least initially, doesn't disrupt trade and tourism as much. e.g. USA: All the crooks and trouble makers are in Washington leaving NY and LA to get on with ruling the world.

What I don't understand ....

Frankly it's been clear from the start how little you do understand about Thai politics and what kind of govt this is. How can Somchai show "leadership"when he only there at the behest of his wife and bro-in-law and has the leadership qualities of a wet blanket? He has not got control of the armed forces or a large part of his own govt and is as lame a duck as there has ever been at the helm. But he cannot just resign as the self-same wife and bro-in-law has not permitted it. So the poor fellow has to go on pretending to be a PM of a country he has dwindling control over and absolute zero legitimacy.

Tell me Pierrot - you're a big fan of democracy, or so you say - how many people ever voted for Mr Somchai? What is his constituency? Or is just being related to a Shinwatra enough in your book? Go on ask yourself some deeper questions on the subject of political legitimacy. :o

To reply briefly, unfortunately I understand too well Thai politic. The reason I support Thaksin is I don't like what I understand and I hope he can bring some much needed changes, the same reason why he's so much hated by the current elite who supports the PAD.

The prime minister has no control of the armed forces or a large part of his own govt : agree with you. The constitution has been written exactly to this purpose and that's why it needs to be changed.

"How many people ever voted for Mr Somchai?" The Prime minister is not elected by the people, but by the parliament.

To go back to my main argument, Thai politic currently discourage the emergence of any real leader. Think about the democrats. What people expect at this time is a firm stand on what's going on. What do we get? An offer to mediation, which is usually the job of a retired politician ! There is only one real political leader in Thailand, and until we get an alternative, don't complain it's always the same guys in power.

The nation

Not sure I'd call being at the emd of a telephone standing along side Thais. There again the real PAD leaders aren't at the airport either, both sides using ignorant canon fodder.

:o

You make it sound simplistic, there's more to this game than we can talk about for sure.

"Quoting Pierrot

"To reply briefly, unfortunately I understand too well Thai politic. The reason I support Thaksin is I don't like what I understand and I hope he can bring some much needed changes, the same reason why he's so much hated by the current elite who supports the PAD.

The prime minister has no control of the armed forces or a large part of his own govt : agree with you. The constitution has been written exactly to this purpose and that's why it needs to be changed.

"How many people ever voted for Mr Somchai?" The Prime minister is not elected by the people, but by the parliament.

To go back to my main argument, Thai politic currently discourage the emergence of any real leader. Think about the democrats. What people expect at this time is a firm stand on what's going on. What do we get? An offer to mediation, which is usually the job of a retired politician ! There is only one real political leader in Thailand, and until we get an alternative, don't complain it's always the same guys in power.

Pierrot, who might this leader be? Just wondering. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

Your lack of understanding of Democracy is amazing. According to your (the Thailand) constitution the Parliment choses a PM. Members of Parliment, having been duly elected by the population have the responsibility to represent their constituents by choosing a PM. The Thailand government is a Representative Democracy. If the Parliment had refused to represent the people who voted for them and not chosen a PM, they would have been in voilation of the Thailand Constitution and could have been impeached. Civics lesson concluded!

The Parliment acted responsibly in caring out their duties as required in the Thailand Constitution.

You may not agree with their choice but they performed their duty as required by the Thailand Constitution.