Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

There's no point in holding GH anymore - they've got a real big fish, the airport.

There's also a big security issue with almost daily grenade attacks, it's safer to be at SW or DM.

The man in the photo was injured in a bomb/grenade blast - that's what real terrorists do - kill and maim people in their sleep to force them to succumb to fear.

look up terrorism...... THE PAD ACTIONS MAKE THEM TERRORISTS. Are whoever is throwing bombs at the YELLOW TERRORIST's also to be called "terrorists", I guess so by you, but that just means that one group of terrorists (red shirts) is attacking another group of terrorists (the yellow shirts), I don't sympathize with terrorists being attacked .

Maybe if you repeat yourself another 30 times and do it in ALL CAPS it will make your assertions true?

Nope .. not even then. They are still just protesters!

Come on now, it's obvious that's no longer tenable. What is wrong with people here??? There has been violence from both sides in the last few days. Much was made of the grenade launched into the PAD protesters at GH. That was a disgusting, violent retaliation. The PAD opened fire on a TV truck and drove at high speed at a blockade causing police to flee for their safety.

'Still just protesters' should be barred from this discussion by now, if not physically, but by common sense and the ability to read. Seriously, are you still clinging to the whole 'peaceful sit-in' line? Like I said, no longer tenable.

Both reds and yellows have shown their ugly side.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are moving along at a frightfully slow pace. Who would have thought that the airport/s would still be closed after a full week?

I'm starting to question whether or not I'll be able to take a December 19 flight out.

I've also got a flight out the 19th and becoming genuinely concerned. Up to now my Thai friends have laughed off my concern when pondering the possibility that Swampy wouldn't be up and running by 3 weeks into December. Not so funny now.

Well , most people here say that this has ruined the country and put it back 5 years ( if not more ) and they laugh it away . Many of the PAD got their money direct or undirect from tourist industry ( because PAD most south Thailand attached ) and so are seriously cutting in their own meat but they are still laughing with it ... not long anymore before they start to cry that also have no money anymore and are probably aiming at corruption from Thaksin for that hahaha .

There's no point in holding GH anymore - they've got a real big fish, the airport.

There's also a big security issue with almost daily grenade attacks, it's safer to be at SW or DM.

The man in the photo was injured in a bomb/grenade blast - that's what real terrorists do - kill and maim people in their sleep to force them to succumb to fear.

look up terrorism...... THE PAD ACTIONS MAKE THEM TERRORISTS. Are whoever is throwing bombs at the YELLOW TERRORIST's also to be called "terrorists", I guess so by you, but that just means that one group of terrorists (red shirts) is attacking another group of terrorists (the yellow shirts), I don't sympathize with terrorists being attacked .

Maybe if you repeat yourself another 30 times and do it in ALL CAPS it will make your assertions true?

What's the big deal about what you call the PAD? They are ruining the country...

It's complete madness. If it was the uneducated rural masses who was driving the country towards anarchy at least it would make some sense. But it's the urban elite...

Just protestors are you kidding? Just protestors don't need to be armed, just protestors don't shoot at tv vans, just protestors don't hold police hostage, just protestors don't hold knives to taxi drivers throats.... They are terrorists at this point.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrorism

"the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes."

Tell me how their recent actions do not fit into this definition???

Now you say "protestors" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/protest show me in the definition where it talks about shooting, taking hostages, occupying property that is not theirs????

you can't.

LOL .... yeah you get it!

Shooting --- hmm yeah a guy that was attacked shot back (poor decision but they had been getting grenades tossed at them for awhile already)

taking hostages? ... great hyperbole!

I am sure people are 'terrified' by people sitting at the airport listening to music!

try selling that to people that might actually be dumb enough to buy it!

Just protestors are you kidding? Just protestors don't need to be armed, just protestors don't shoot at tv vans, just protestors don't hold police hostage, just protestors don't hold knives to taxi drivers throats.... They are terrorists at this point.

"the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes."

Now you say "protestors" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/protest show me in the definition where it talks about shooting, taking hostages, occupying property that is not theirs????

you can't.

There is not one sensible retort to this that I can think of, yet I've no doubt someone will give it a shot. Ask someone objective, removed from the immediate situation, and the answer would be resounding.

you can't.

There is not one sensible retort to this that I can think of, yet I've no doubt someone will give it a shot. Ask someone objective, removed from the immediate situation, and the answer would be resounding.

And yet JD tried, but failed miserably I must admit .

PM stays away from Bangkok

A Special Branch Police source said Somchai had departed Chiang Mai after his security team received intelligence reports that some military groups wanted to take him hostage.

Somchai left his residence for a safe house in Chiang Mai before travelling to the northeastern province.

In Udon Thani, about 10,000 red-shirted villagers rallied to back the government and safeguard Somchai during his overnight stay, organiser Kwanchai Praipana said.

The PM has returned from Udon Thani and is hunkered down at the Chiang Mai Bunker and remains in contact with the War Room in Bangkok. He cancelled his plans to visit the northeastern provinces of Nong Bua Lhampu and Nongkhai.

Emergency Cabinet meeting for tomorrow as the Chiang Mai Bunker is moved from Somchai's basement to the Chiang Mai City Hall....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=2373313

LOL .... yeah you get it!

Shooting --- hmm yeah a guy that was attacked shot back (poor decision but they had been getting grenades tossed at them for awhile already)

I am sure people are 'terrified' by people sitting at the airport listening to music!

try selling that to people that might actually be dumb enough to buy it!

Because that's all that's happened, isn't it. This is just tantamount to lying. 'Just peaceful protesters' has long ceased to be an accurate description. Stop ignoring events that say otherwise. Yes, most people are sitting at the airport listening to music, but there have been violent acts on the part of the PAD and there is simply no way you can refute that and maintain any credibility.

What's the big deal about what you call the PAD? They are ruining the country...

It's complete madness. If it was the uneducated rural masses who was driving the country towards anarchy at least it would make some sense. But it's the urban elite...

This is what the urban eliet believe. It might help understand the things they do:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/10...on_30087963.php

PAD saves the nation from supernatural attack

ON OCTOBER 29, Sondhi Limthongkul gave a speech from the People's Alliance for Democracy stage, broadcast over ASTV, about a new front in his fight to "save the nation". He said:

"For many years in the past, the powers of many sacred things including the spirit of the City Pillar, the Equestrian Statue of King Rama V, Phra Sayam Thewathirat, and the Emerald Buddha, have been suppressed by evil people using magic. 'Suppress' does not mean destroy, because sacred objects cannot be destroyed, as they have too much power. But 'suppress' means not allowing them to emit their power, by encircling them. This is true. So we have just finished rectifying this in the last two to three weeks. Like at the statue of the Emerald Buddha.

"Behind it there is a stone. Evil-minded people had allied with some in the Royal Household Bureau to allow a Khmer adept to go behind the Emerald Buddha and take the stone away, because that stone is the important thing for emitting power."

A few weeks ago, anti-government agitator Sondhi Limthongkul, whose People’s Alliance for Democracy has occupied key official buildings for four months in an effort to topple a government he considers illegitimate, accused his opponents of employing wizardry to channel the statue’s protective forces their way. And to reverse that alleged sorcery, he deployed his own mystics to encircle the statue with used sanitary napkins (collected from the PAD’s rank-and-file) to form a shield of menstrual blood.

you can't.

And yet JD tried, but failed miserably I must admit .

I expected some elaborate spin and smokescreens but it felt like he rushed his reply and could only conveniently ignore certain events. Others will do better, I feel sure.

Hotnews-255112010021.jpg

The new National Police Chief Police General Prateep Tanprasert speaks out

Acting police chief adopts peaceful means with PAD

Caretaker Royal Thai Police Commissioner-General Pol Gen Prateep Tanprasert insisted on adopting peaceful means to control the anti-government People’s Alliance for Democracy (PAD)’s gathering, adding police would focus on negotiation as he believe it would be the best solution to the ongoing problem.

Pol Gen Prateep said this morning (December 1) police have adopted a peaceful means to monitor PAD’s protests.

It has planned to negotiate with the group. He also expressed confidence that the protest situation would be improving as time passed and circumstances, refusing to talk about breaking up the protesters which would be the last police's resort to solve the problem which he insisted was not the right time yet.

In addition, Pol Gen Prateep insisted he has not felt being pressured about the duty of controlling the PAD's protesting situation as assigned by Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Somchai Wongsawat, adding he would performed his best to fulfill the new job.

Pol Gen Prateep was appointed acting police chief following the premier's order transferring his predecessor Pol Gen Patcharawat Wongsuwan to an inactive post last week as Somchai was reportedly dissatisfied with Patcharawat's handling of PAD's protests.

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-01

Come on now, it's obvious that's no longer tenable. What is wrong with people here??? There has been violence from both sides in the last few days. Much was made of the grenade launched into the PAD protesters at GH. That was a disgusting, violent retaliation. The PAD opened fire on a TV truck and drove at high speed at a blockade causing police to flee for their safety.

'Still just protesters' should be barred from this discussion by now, if not physically, but by common sense and the ability to read. Seriously, are you still clinging to the whole 'peaceful sit-in' line? Like I said, no longer tenable.

You have to look at what portion of either side are being violent...for instance I don't see even 50% of PAD supporters being violent so to label all PAD as being violent terrorists is not fair or logical

Does it matter?... They all should be expecting that.. It's easy to say - we are ready to die. First, they shoud ask themselves - to die for what? For the money in somebody's pocket? Please name even one country around the world where the government is not corrupted!

I can't, I agree 100% they are all corrupted, some worse than others but they are all corrupted and plagued with scandals.

And scoundrels,

and many countries went to great efforts to LIMIT the scoundrels as much as possible.

Thailand is behind on that score. If ANY group is making an attempt at regulating corruption,

it is a good thing, it's a better thing if they can do it through proper channels.

But it is apparent around the world that is NOT ALWAYS POSSIBLE.

Edited by animatic

I can not make a new news thread but just let us place it here:

Protesters move from the center and government buildings to the airport.

Published: 1 december 2008 08:45 (GMT+1)

BANGKOK - The thousands of protesters in the Thai capital Bangkok that occupied several government buildings of prime minister Somchai Wongsawat are moving to the airport close to the city a spokeswoman for the PAD has announced to the press.

The protesters reason that staying at the government buildings is too dangerous. The past week tens of people got hurt badly in grenade attacks from pro-government assailants.

The thousands of protesters will join the the other protesters that occupy the airport since tuesday. Due to this action a little more then a 100000 tourists are stranded in the country.

The protesters kept the government buildings occupied since august.

Edited by astute

LOL .. what? It simply isn't terrorism. Nobody is terrorized by this though many people are hurt financially and some are inconvenienced.

So let's ask someone "objective" ....

The BBC --- nope they aren't calling them terrorists

anti-government groups took over two airports last week.
Thailand protesters attack police

CNN --- nope they aren't calling them terrorists

aljazeera? --- no not them either

Wow ... nobody objective is calling them terrorists ... not even George W Bush is!

Somchai isn't calling them terrorist ....

The Thai press isn't calling them terrorists

Leaving some obviously misguided people on T.V. about the only ones calling them terrorists!

Edited by jdinasia

I expected some elaborate spin and smokescreens but it felt like he rushed his reply and could only conveniently ignore certain events. Others will do better, I feel sure.

I am also sure other will try with better arguments, but we will have to wait

I honestly think both sides have made mistakes, but one side (yellow) has caused an un-told amount of damage to the country. And the name PAD cracks me up because they don't understand the definition of their own name "democracy".... Tell me how taking away the un-educated vote is democracy in action?

I will just be glad when this is all over.... Its front page on every site I visit, and makes Thailand look really bad. I am in Phuket, I don't do import and export, I don't work with tourists, I don't have a business that indirectly relies on tourism, so financially the airport could remain closed forever without impacting me, in fact the stronger the dollar gets the better off I am, so I guess I would do better the longer the airport stays closed.....

But this has nothing to do with my finances, this action of closing airports, taking police hostage, shooting, yielding knives is bad for the country ... I just don't understand how the PAD or their supporters don't grasp the damage they are causing to their country as a whole.

Edited by MyphuketLife

I was amazed to see how this is being reported in the Thai news. This morning on Channel 3, there was an interlude which showed how this protest has been going on. It was a one or two minute skit ( maybe less ) set to some Thai folk song music but it was showing dancing protestors. A line of women all having a good old laugh, doing some kind of dance.

The way this was done made it look acceptable. It was a piece done in the same way that we might do a short skit about the end of the Olympics or Football World Cup... you know the knid of thing...."best moments" set to music, and this is what it looked like for this protest.

It really doesn't seem to be being taken seriously. I don't think Thais really know how to be serious about such things. The "mai ben rai" is so deeply ingrained that the most ruinous of events for this country is set to music and depicts protestors having a good old dance.

Frickin' unbelieveable

Has this tipped the scales for people thinking about leaving this place ?

Edited by Tango7

I just don't understand how the PAD or their supporters don't grasp the damage they are causing to their country as a whole.

Maybe they are starting to realise but don't want to pull out of their stand off at the airports until the Thaksin puppet is removed.

You have to look at what portion of either side are being violent...for instance I don't see even 50% of PAD supporters being violent so to label all PAD as being violent terrorists is not fair or logical

That goes without saying. Labeling them terrorists as a group is incorrect, imho. If common sense prevails we can all agree that the majority of protesters are simply sitting-in at the airport. However, that same common sense would dictate that we can also agree that there's a core of PAD members who have a propensity for violence and have already been violent during this last week. I'm not trying to get into a 'who is more violent than who' debate here and it's not necessary for me to qualify my statements about PAD violence with mention of UDD violence, nor does it place me on one 'side'. Here we're talking about the PAD and the label 'terrorists'.

As jdinasia has shown in his post, world media are referring to the PAD as 'protesters'. This is understandable. They need a term, after all. As I've said previously, the majority are peaceful protesters so that term fits best in the circumstances.

BUT, just as I'd take issue with labeling the whole group 'terrorists', I can't agree with posters here who try to label the whole group as peaceful protesters, sitting-in at the airport. You can't have it both ways.

Hopefully I've made it pretty clear why I've been critical, that it's specifically about the contradiction rather than taking sides.

I just don't understand how the PAD or their supporters don't grasp the damage they are causing to their country as a whole.

Maybe they are starting to realise but don't want to pull out of their stand off at the airports until the Thaksin puppet is removed.

It's too late now to have second thoughts. If you're going to do something like this then I guess you've got to go all the way. It's quite an extreme course of action, but I doubt they came into this unaware of the massive problems they would cause this country, so it's unlikely they'll be having any moral epiphanies and second thoughts any time soon. To cause this disruption and then to voluntarily concede would mean total failure and for me personally would make me very angry at the lack of conviction after so much mess has been made.

To cause this disruption and then to voluntarily concede would mean total failure and for me personally would make me very angry at the lack of conviction after so much mess has been made.

Which are the same thoughts I feel the PAD leaders have :o

So let's ask someone "objective" ....

The BBC --- nope they aren't calling them terrorists

Thailand protesters attack police

So since you want to quote outside media lets quote AP

Associated Press reporters saw one policeman being grabbed Saturday at a checkpoint by three protesters, forcibly put in a vehicle, and driven away toward areas controlled by the demonstrators.

care to explain how 1. that is a "great hyperbole" and 2. that is just peaceful protesting? ehhhh? :o

This is what the urban eliet believe. It might help understand the things they do:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2008/11/10...on_30087963.php

PAD saves the nation from supernatural attack

ON OCTOBER 29, Sondhi Limthongkul gave a speech from the People's Alliance for Democracy stage, broadcast over ASTV, about a new front in his fight to "save the nation". He said:

"For many years in the past, the powers of many sacred things including the spirit of the City Pillar, the Equestrian Statue of King Rama V, Phra Sayam Thewathirat, and the Emerald Buddha, have been suppressed by evil people using magic. 'Suppress' does not mean destroy, because sacred objects cannot be destroyed, as they have too much power. But 'suppress' means not allowing them to emit their power, by encircling them. This is true. So we have just finished rectifying this in the last two to three weeks. Like at the statue of the Emerald Buddha.

"Behind it there is a stone. Evil-minded people had allied with some in the Royal Household Bureau to allow a Khmer adept to go behind the Emerald Buddha and take the stone away, because that stone is the important thing for emitting power."

A few weeks ago, anti-government agitator Sondhi Limthongkul, whose People's Alliance for Democracy has occupied key official buildings for four months in an effort to topple a government he considers illegitimate, accused his opponents of employing wizardry to channel the statue's protective forces their way. And to reverse that alleged sorcery, he deployed his own mystics to encircle the statue with used sanitary napkins (collected from the PAD's rank-and-file) to form a shield of menstrual blood.

Newsweek also wrote a article on this topic:

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/ov/archive/...r-struggle.aspx

The leaders of PAD certainly seem to have some extreme beliefs. The question is what they should be called...not the common people participating in the demonstrations. They are just being used as pawns in a much bigger game...

LOL .. yes hyperbole ... detained and released would be far more accurate wouldn't it? Taking hostages is simply hyperbole just like tossing around the word terrorism (but hey ... Bush was able to dupe so many using exactly that same tactic!) What were the demands they made for the hostage's release?

was the officer released? Does it compare to having a bomb thrown at you?

Are they celebrating New Year earlier than usual? Still looks like one big party at Suvarnabhumi.

What else is to come during 'Silly Season'.

LOS = Land of Silliness

A host of celebrities have been spotted on the Suvarnabhumi horizon. Ken Dodd, Basil Fawlty and the Muppets will be arriving at the airport shortly. Welcome one, welcome all. :o

But this has nothing to do with my finances, this action of closing airports, taking police hostage, shooting, yielding knives is bad for the country ... I just don't understand how the PAD or their supporters don't grasp the damage they are causing to their country as a whole.

Just to make this clear...the majority have closed the airport...the minority have or have been accused of the violent acts....don't confuse the 2