Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

In less than 24 hours, we will know the PAD's true intentions. If the courts deliver a verdict tomorrow to disband the PPP effective immediately, the PAD should clear out of the airports the same day. We'll see if they keep their word or if they find a new reason to stay.

Agreed.

they will go once a decision has been made, who will be the interim PM, i expect the decision on friday.

regards

Edited by timonase

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be wise to not consider ASTV a 'news source', for posts here or otherwise.

Also the 'live feed' shows what their spin doctors want you to see.

Stick with the BBC.

I have found the ASTV broadcasts to be quite accurate so far. Much more accurate than the Government's Propaganda Station NBT. ASTV is also the only station that gives you 24 hour coverage of the demonstrations in Bangkok. ThailandOutlook.TV which is part of ASTV, also has a lot of good English news and stock market reports.

You definitely don't want to consider CNN a news source, that's for sure. CNN was reporting that it was PAD supporters, who killed the 60 year old unarmed man in Chiang Mai, when in fact it was red shirted, government sponsored Thugs.

Then you have NBT, who won't show hardly any of the police of government sponsored violence and killings against the PAD, or how about the Bangkok Post, who is getting utterly rediculous with their ourragous and false reports...but the sheep are eating it up, as always :-(

how much brainwashed one have to be. ASTV producing false and hoax news. and no surprise, that you them don't see in any other channel. if i check your program is lots of news missing.

don't spam your url here, thanks.

In less than 24 hours, we will know the PAD's true intentions. If the courts deliver a verdict tomorrow to disband the PPP effective immediately, the PAD should clear out of the airports the same day. We'll see if they keep their word or if they find a new reason to stay.

Agreed.

they will go once a decision has been made, who will be the interim PM, i expect thst decision on friday.

regards

Changing the terms again, I see. Sondhi clearly said they will immediately leave the airports "once the PM steps down". He said nothing about waiting to see who the interim PM would be.

Agreed.

they will go once a decision has been made, who will be the interim PM, i expect thst decision on friday.

regards

Changing the terms again, I see. Sondhi clearly said they will immediately leave the airports "once the PM steps down". He said nothing about waiting to see who the interim PM would be.

its not my terms, nor do i agree, but i try to be realistic.....evidence is so clear

5.In conclusion the international community will not allow anarchy to prevail over democracy.

PAD may not be confirmed terrorists at present but they have certainly appeared on the radar of world anti-terrorist organisations.

:o

And what exactly do you think the "international community" is going to do ? Invade to restore a corrupt government to power ?

I think the world's anti-terrorist organizations have much more to worry about than a group of Thais engaged in civil disobedience.

they will closed the borders and turn thailand into a center of best moral values. you will lern how to gro your own carrots and have to stand up 5:30 in the morning to clean the dishes, regatdles your gender or if there any dishes.

As a seeker of truth and justice I have stepped back from the emmotive stuff and taken the personalities out of things, and what are you left with,

1.The government are democratically elected and legitimate.

Allowing for the warts and all, there is no international critisism of the government or the election process.

2.The PAD are unelected and self invested.

They draw only from elite society for their support and funding, claim to be democratic, but want to deny the poor a vote.

Internationally the PAD are described as against democracy.

Whether the PAD are terrorists or not in the usual defined ways, they are now percieved as "terrorists " in the international community, especially being the next news item after the Mumbai terrorists.

3.Court decisions in Thailand are dubious to say the least.I would not say they are fair, have to many vested interests, just look at vt7 for an example.

4.Previously the Thai politics were never aired internationally.

The PAD actions have ensured that Thai politics have been headline news for a week now and people around the world who never had a clue about Thai politics , or considered it democratic , now understand the real situation class system that is practised there.

Internationally, people have realise where the "democracy" is and where the "terrorist "is in the thai politics

The international comunity will not stand for the Thai way because they have now been educated as to what it is all really, fundementally about.

5.In conclusion the international community will not allow anarchy to prevail over democracy.

PAD may not be confirmed terrorists at present but they have certainly appeared on the radar of world anti-terrorist organisations.

I have the feeling that you have no access to European TV channels, otherwise you will know that they do mention the vote buying and corruption of the last elections. they mention the corruption cases of Thaksin, they mention that the present government are influenced by Thaksin.

Than you should also know that non of the European TV stations called the PAD demonstrators at Suva terrorists. They all emphasize the unbelievable discipline of the PAD occupiers at Suva. and they show the relax almost carnival atmosphere at Suva.

The blocked European tourists in Thailand don't seems to panic that much about their delay. Of course they don't feel happy with it but they put it in perspective, because they experienced this kind of delays several times in Europe, due to closed airports due to strikes.

you would also noticed that ALL tourists said that they did not experienced any hostility's against Foreigners, and that did not even, noticed any riots.

You would also see that the European TV stations shows the victims of bombs and grenade trowing by red shirts.

All of them give interviews with PAD protesters and almost no interviews with red shirts.

So you can conclude that the European TV stations inform their viewers why the PAD demonstrates.

maybe the PAD have more understanding in Europe than you think.

As a seeker of truth and justice I have stepped back from the emmotive stuff and taken the personalities out of things, and what are you left with,

1.The government are democratically elected and legitimate.

Allowing for the warts and all, there is no international critisism of the government or the election process.

2.The PAD are unelected and self invested.

They draw only from elite society for their support and funding, claim to be democratic, but want to deny the poor a vote.

Internationally the PAD are described as against democracy.

Whether the PAD are terrorists or not in the usual defined ways, they are now percieved as "terrorists " in the international community, especially being the next news item after the Mumbai terrorists.

3.Court decisions in Thailand are dubious to say the least.I would not say they are fair, have to many vested interests, just look at vt7 for an example.

4.Previously the Thai politics were never aired internationally.

The PAD actions have ensured that Thai politics have been headline news for a week now and people around the world who never had a clue about Thai politics , or considered it democratic , now understand the real situation class system that is practised there.

Internationally, people have realise where the "democracy" is and where the "terrorist "is in the thai politics

The international comunity will not stand for the Thai way because they have now been educated as to what it is all really, fundementally about.

I have the feeling that you have no access to European TV channels, otherwise you will know that they do mention the vote buying and corruption of the last elections. they mention the corruption cases of Thaksin, they mention that the present government are influenced by Thaksin.

Than you should also know that non of the European TV stations called the PAD demonstrators at Suva terrorists. They all emphasize the unbelievable discipline of the PAD occupiers at Suva. and they show the relax almost carnival atmosphere at Suva.

The blocked European tourists in Thailand don't seems to panic that much about their delay. Of course they don't feel happy with it but they put it in perspective, because they experienced this kind of delays several times in Europe, due to closed airports due to strikes.

you would also noticed that ALL tourists said that they did not experienced any hostility's against Foreigners, and that did not even, noticed any riots.

You would also see that the European TV stations shows the victims of bombs and grenade trowing by red shirts.

All of them give interviews with PAD protesters and almost no interviews with red shirts.

So you can conclude that the European TV stations inform their viewers why the PAD demonstrates.

maybe the PAD have more understanding in Europe than you think.

facepalm the European TV channels

so what monkey channel your are locking, after a monkey cutter, a monkey comera men and a monkey fun channel anchorman here in bangkok had shoout a some footage or just bought it. from an other camera men.

would the on money channel going to confus the monkey with the remote on a sofa. no, you will get your typical monkey channel entertainment. thats all.

you should question youre monkey channel and not here.

Agreed.

regards

its not my terms, nor do i agree, but i try to be realistic.....evidence is so clear

So we'll see the guy suddenly stop throwing his weight around and crawl back under his stone......I dont think so.

Power does strange things to people......and even stranger things to pond life.

As a seeker of truth and justice taking an immotive stance in this , 3 further points need some consideration,

1.Say what you want about democracy, but it gives a mechanism to remove a government from power and elect an alternative.

If the PAD get their way and appoint a government how would they ever be removed from power??

Then when you have a "one party " state what then?

The courts in Thailand are corrupt , and who does the EC answer to..., fair and reasonable verdicts ... , your having a laugh.?

All I can say is that the courts ought to be able to recognise corruption when they see it, after all they are the experts at it.

2.The PAD proposal to deny the poor a say in the determination of the government is nothing short of the slippery slope to aparthied.

3.The way forward here is to rely on the outcome of a good old fashioned referrendum.

The question is "what's the question ?"

As a seeker of truth and justice taking an immotive stance in this , 3 further points need some consideration,

1.Say what you want about democracy, but it gives a mechanism to remove a government from power and elect an alternative.

If the PAD get their way and appoint a government how would they ever be removed from power??

Then when you have a "one party " state what then?

The courts in Thailand are corrupt , and who does the EC answer to..., fair and reasonable verdicts ... , your having a laugh.?

All I can say is that the courts ought to be able to recognise corruption when they see it, after all they are the experts at it.

2.The PAD proposal to deny the poor a say in the determination of the government is nothing short of the slippery slope to aparthied.

3.The way forward here is to rely on the outcome of a good old fashioned referrendum.

The question is "what's the question ?"

A referrendum? Dont forget that the view of these so called elite is that the rural masses are not 'educated enough to make decisions on things such as government' which is why they all need 'reeducation'.

Sound familiar?

Hi Henryalleman (post1817),

I think that there has been more of a balanced view than you suggest, they have interviewed on both sides, reported the PAD's 'fight to the Death statement. Reported the anti and pro-Govt rallies. All in all neutral reporting of the facts as seen from both sides.... :o

As a seeker of truth and justice I have stepped back from the emmotive stuff and taken the personalities out of things

If you are also a seeker of a deeper understanding on the development of democracies and its troubles, you should read this article:

The Rise of Illiberal Democracy by Fareed Zakaria

It's a long article, so I will just include the first paragraph:

"THE AMERICAN diplomat Richard Holbrooke pondered a problem on the eve of the September 1996 elections in Bosnia, which were meant to restore civic life to that ravaged country. "Suppose the election was declared free and fair," he said, and those elected are "racists, fascists, separatists, who are publicly opposed to [peace and reintegration]. That is the dilemma." Indeed it is, not just in the former Yugoslavia, but increasingly around the world. Democratically elected regimes, often ones that have been reelected or reaffirmed through referenda, are routinely ignoring constitutional limits on their power and depriving their citizens of basic rights and freedoms. From Peru to the Palestinian Authority, from Sierra Leone to Slovakia, from Pakistan to the Philippines, we see the rise of a disturbing phenomenon in international life -- illiberal democracy."

Fareed Zakaria is currently an editor of Newsweek International and a host of a weekly show on CNN on international issues and foreign affairs. He is not anti-democracy in any way, but he would share the same concerns as many Thais do about introducing democracy in developing countries.

I would recommend to read his book with the same name as well.

Thanks for the comments.

Their are also more countries where democracy works fine.

As for Thailand the majority of people don't seem to have a problem with it, only the elite who see it as an attack to their status.so be it.

For me the principle of one person one vote is paramount.

Would you say the provision of the vote to women in uk was electoral fraud, some did, or to the coloureds in usa was electoral fraud, some did, but democracy survived.?

Trouble with developing democracies like Thailand is that the power still doesnt at the moment lye with the people.

It lye's with the vested interests who see democracy as a threat .

LOL at PAD on the radar and 'terrorism'

Some of these new folks should come to Thailand, wander out and meet some people (yes, even people in the PAD and UDD) and TALK to them (of course this may require learning Thai in many cases, but it is a small price to pay when seeking after "Truth" :o

What happens in Thailand is basically up to the Thais. I don't see W sending in the marines to deal with a country's internal political changes and growth.

What so far has put Thailand firmly in the minds of the people that watch these things are how peaceful things have been so far and how much restraint has been showed by the PAD in dealing with being attacked.

As a seeker of truth and justice I wouldn't dream to comment on such matters without about 10 years experience of Thailand, with passport stamps to prove it .

Exactly ! what happens in Thailand should be left to the Thai's, I say left to all the Thai's you say only the elite PAD.

Western democracies all declared the last elections process as fair and reasonable.Live with it.

Yes the BBC correspondant at suva stated the atmosphere was cordial, but that the armed PAD para-militaries were holed up in the basement?

Is there any more news about the injured from the latest bomb attack at Don Muang? Last post said a nurse was not supposed to talk to the press but some people had been seriously injured?

One killed, several others injured. fuc_king Redshirts!!! If you want the PAD to listen, stop trying to kill them!!!

Seems to me if you cost people untold amounts of money at some point some people might want to kill you. Imagine what this is costing the mob in Thailand. Imagine if you owe the mob $10,000 in NYC and don't pay it. Is anybody surprised there are a few scoundrels that do these kind of things, when such big money is in play?

so what monkey channel your are locking, after a monkey cutter, a monkey comera men and a monkey fun channel anchorman here in bangkok had shoout a some footage or just bought it. from an other camera men.

would the on money channel going to confus the monkey with the remote on a sofa. no, you will get your typical monkey channel entertainment. thats all.

you should question youre monkey channel and not here.

Most European media outlets broadcast the sititaion here in Thailand unbiased and from both perspectives.

So instead of insulting posters to get your point through, you'de better go sleep of your hangover!

Yes, although I don't agree with the method, I hope for everyones sake that tomorrow will see some movement in this farcical deadlock.

Let those travellers and business people get back to their normal lives.

For Thailand I fear the schism now brought out in the open will have deep repercussions for years to come.

reason for edit; fat fingers/small keys

Edited by Robski

Is there any more news about the injured from the latest bomb attack at Don Muang? Last post said a nurse was not supposed to talk to the press but some people had been seriously injured?

One killed, several others injured. fuc_king Redshirts!!! If you want the PAD to listen, stop trying to kill them!!!

Well whether the red shirts did this is not known, but there's a group of animals out there systemetically killing protesters. And that for already weeks!

I wonder where they get their funding from :o

And some of the sad individuals on this forum call the airport protesters terrorists!

It is easy to understand why grenades are being lobbed at the PAD protest sites. Can't help but feel that it slightly reduces the tide of anger against them though. Surely it would be better to give them (the PAD) no reason to seek sympathy from the local/international media. Unless people are going to go back to retelling the imaginative and fantastic tales of the PAD lobbing grenades at themselves.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-12/...nt_10441498.htm

One killed, more than 20 injured by blast at Thai airport

2008-12-02 03:10:41

BANGKOK, Dec. 2 (Xinhua) -- At least one person was killed and more than 20 others injured in a bomb blast shortly after Monday midnight in a Bangkok airport, Thai media reported.

The blast happened at Bangkok's Don Muang airport, one of the two airports anti-government protesters of People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) had taken control for days, website of The Nation newspaper reported early Tuesday.

Injured people have been sent to three hospitals including the Mongkut Wattana, Bhumiphol and Central General.

Ronnachai Chaisri, 29, from Songkhla province was reportedly dead on his way to the Bhumiphol hospital while Wijai Wijan, 43, was reportedly in critical condition, the report said.

Five people were severely injured, with one of them reportedly in critical condition. The PAD suspected that a bomb was fired from Don Mueng Toll Way.

The blast came after PAD ended Monday the demonstration at the Government House which was seized by the civil group since Aug. 26.

Maj. Gen. Chamlong Srimuang, one of the PAD's core members on Monday told protesters at the Government House to move to Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi airports which were also seized by them last week.

Chamlong said the anti-government demonstrators will no longer be allowed to spend a night at Government House for their own safety, following repeated grenade and gun attacks at the compound previously.

He said the daily demonstration at Government House will now be held until evening, and only the PAD guards will station at the site during the night.

The PAD on Aug. 26 seized the Government House and on Nov. 25 and 26 occupied Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport and the Don Muang Airport, calling the Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat to step down.

"And some of the sad individuals on this forum call the airport protesters terrorists!"

No, they're not protesters...they're MERCENARIES. They're paid to wreak havoc and do so to their own gain. No sides taken and it doesn't matter whether red, yellow, UDD, PAD, pro-government, or anti-government...most of these folks do it for THB, meals, shirts, clappers, and entertainment. There is no thought or explanation to what end they're doing it other than the daily personal gain.

What's sad is that personal greed is more important than the health/wealth of their neighbors and countrymen. A conservative 150 million dollars (over 5 billion THB) per day lost in tourist revenue dollars is sickeningly a horrible price to pay while selling out their beloved country...and lost revenue that may continue for decades.

Edited by ironhut

Unfortunately the PAD protestors have bought the violence on themsleves.

By holding the country to ransom they have abrogated any moral high ground they may have held in their fight for a more democratic Thailand.

In fact their very actions are pushing Thailand to the brink of mass civil disobedience and creating the very conditions that will make any sort of more democratic society in Thailand that much more remote.

The misguided tactics of PAD are fracturing and polarising many Thais and indeed threatening the livelihood of many who are already living very close to the margins.

No matter what the outcome the divisions that have been created by PADs actions may well have serious implications for ongoing instability in Thailand for a long time to come.

I don't support the use of terrorism to influence the PAD's removal from the airport, but wonder why those responsible for lobbing grenades at them are only launching/throwing one at a time. Either:

a. they don't intend to cause a huge number of injuries

b. it's simply a scare tactic

c. the Government or a third party don't have the funds to buy more grenades

d. the PAD are terrorising themselves

I don't support the use of terrorism to influence the PAD's removal from the airport, but wonder why those responsible for lobbing grenades at them are only launching/throwing one at a time. Either:

a. they don't intend to cause a huge number of injuries

b. it's simply a scare tactic

c. the Government or a third party don't have the funds to buy more grenades

d. the PAD are terrorising themselves

Please stop the fighting. No matter who does what, it is not right to take the law in one's own hand.

Suvarnabhumi airport shut down til Dec 3

Serirat Prasutanond, General Manager of Suvarnabhumi International Airport, revealed that the airport has informed all relevant parties in aviation industry that the Suvarnabhumi airport would be discontinued for an additional 48 hours until 6 pm on December 3.

The airport's extended shut down, said Serirat, also acting President of Airports of Thailand which owns Suvarnabhumi international airport, was due to anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s protestors still seized the airport.

More information, contact 02-132-1888 or 02-132-1882 (Suvarnabhumi Hotlines).

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-02

Bomb Attack at Don Muang Kills 1

A bomb attack at Don Muang Airport killed one PAD protester and injured 24 others.

At 0.15 am, unknown assailants opened fire on PAD protesters at Don Muang Airport around the inbound passenger terminal.

29-year-old Ronnachai Chaisri from Sabayoi district in Songkhla province passed away, from being hit in the back of the head by bomb shrapnel, while being transported to the Mongkut Wattana Hospital.

15 people were sent to the Mongkut Wattana Hospital to receive medical treatment, with one in critical condition while seven were sent to the Bhumibol Hospital, with one in critical condition and two others sent to the Central General Hospital.

PAD core leader Somsak Kosaisuk inspected the site of the bomb attack and visited those injured. He also asked the remaining protesters to gather in front of the stage as the area is the safest place.

Somsak believes the attack was the shooting of M-79 grenades from the tollway to create chaos on this day when the Constitution Court will deliver its ruling on the electoral fraud committed by executives of the People Power, Chart Thai, and Matchima Thipataya parties.

- TOC / 2008-12-02

Bomb Attack at Don Muang Kills 1

A bomb attack at Don Muang Airport killed one PAD protester and injured 24 others.

At 0.15 am, unknown assailants opened fire on PAD protesters at Don Muang Airport around the inbound passenger terminal.

29-year-old Ronnachai Chaisri from Sabayoi district in Songkhla province passed away, from being hit in the back of the head by bomb shrapnel, while being transported to the Mongkut Wattana Hospital.

15 people were sent to the Mongkut Wattana Hospital to receive medical treatment, with one in critical condition while seven were sent to the Bhumibol Hospital, with one in critical condition and two others sent to the Central General Hospital.

PAD core leader Somsak Kosaisuk inspected the site of the bomb attack and visited those injured. He also asked the remaining protesters to gather in front of the stage as the area is the safest place.

Somsak believes the attack was the shooting of M-79 grenades from the tollway to create chaos on this day when the Constitution Court will deliver its ruling on the electoral fraud committed by executives of the People Power, Chart Thai, and Matchima Thipataya parties.

- TOC / 2008-12-02

Sadly I feel that this is all going to end in violence anyway, so in some respects let's just get it done and dusted so we can move forward.

Sad times for Thailand, but it's all self inflicted..!!

:o