Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

Top Thai court bans ruling party

_45259029_thaicourtprotestafp226b.jpg Government supporters forced the court to move the hearing

Thailand's constitutional court has dissolved the governing People Power Party (PPP) saying there had been vote fraud during the last election.

The party's leaders, including Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, were also banned from politics for five years.

But, under the constitution most of its MPs can keep their seats under another party name, and should be able to form another government, correspondents say.

Earlier, an anti-government protester was killed at a Bangkok airport.

Local television reported that a grenade had been fired at Don Mueang airport, the capital's domestic hub, which has been occupied by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) since last week.

The PAD accuses Mr Somchai's government of being corrupt and hostile to the much-revered monarchy, and demands they resign. They also accuse him of being a proxy of his brother-in-law, exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_45259029_thaicourtprotestafp226b.jpg Government supporters forced the court to move the hearing

Thailand's constitutional court has dissolved the governing People Power Party (PPP) saying there had been vote fraud during the last election.

The party's leaders, including Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, were also banned from politics for five years.

But, under the constitution most of its MPs can keep their seats under another party name, and should be able to form another government, correspondents say.

Earlier, an anti-government protester was killed at a Bangkok airport.

Local television reported that a grenade had been fired at Don Mueang airport, the capital's domestic hub, which has been occupied by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) since last week.

The PAD accuses Mr Somchai's government of being corrupt and hostile to the much-revered monarchy, and demands they resign. They also accuse him of being a proxy of his brother-in-law, exiled former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Wow! so much hate to Thaksin and his former party people... Dissolved then Dissolved again....

Wasn't he was only found guilty of the land deal?

Like the small bombs that used to go 'pop' in the middle of the PAD rallies, injuring a few. The police were never invited to investigate these by PAD as they were obviously done by the PAD leadership to foment anger and violence at the cost of the lives and limbs of their own masses.

WOW!

That's quite a statement!!!

The chief police investigator sadi that they were PADs own bombs. Diplomatically he suggested they went off by accident.

that must be the first time the Thai police have solved a who let off the bomb case, the new police chief deserves some credit, more so as he was able to solve it without viewing the evidence

Edited by rafval

All eyes now on Chiang Mai if Somchai will honor the verdict and if the army will put more pressure on the situation as they said they might (if they do not see an end to this before the 5th).

It is progress at least, as now there is a legal base of the accusation that the government was not legally elected (which did not exist before, however much the PAD-supporters would have liked).

Also I hear there is a big annually military procession with the HM the King attending scheduled for today, anybody knows when that will happen?

A conservative 150 million dollars (over 5 billion THB) per day lost in tourist revenue dollars is sickeningly a horrible price to pay while selling out their beloved country...and lost revenue that may continue for decades.

Wow. What hat did that number come out of ?

150m per day x 365 = 54,750,000,000 per year. Almost 55 billion ("conservative" estimate no less).

That's about 25% more than the government's entire budget for a year apparently ! And would be well over 20% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Which is also amazing, as it seems from other discussions here (on TV) that most figures point to the tourism revenue only representing 6-8% of the GDP.

A link to the source of this (conservative) $150 million per day loss in tourism revenue would be appreciated. I'd like to see how they came up with those numbers.

Hi.

Thaksin stole more than that in total.

phupaman

Wow ... nobody objective is calling them terrorists ... not even George W Bush is!

Somchai isn't calling them terrorist ....

The Thai press isn't calling them terrorists

Leaving some obviously misguided people on T.V. about the only ones calling them terrorists!

It should be pretty obvious to you that the mainstream media must choose their words more carefully than TV members. They have constraints we don't have.

It's a huge event internally, but on the world stage it hasn't escalated enough to be of too much interest to outsiders. They need blood.

I'm calling it terrorism

Thaksins old Comrade Yellow Chamlong did call the other Thugs:

"People's Alliance for Democracy leader Chamlong Srimuang has rejected the appeal for a four-party peace talk. He insisted the members of the National Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship are thugs and that the PAD stands by its objectives of preventing a charter amendment and establishing new politics."

TV- Chef Samak Sundaravej did called them Cult:

""Now they say that they won," Samak says. "We ask, won [what]? These group of people, they [rouse] the people, andthey are just like a cult, like in America," the 73-year-old says, making a comparison to the David Koresh congregation raided by federal agents in Waco, Texas, in 1993. "Everybody believes without reason.""

The Nationreports:

that a "PAD leader advised protesters to arm themselves with bags of human excrement and urine to fight off police."

PAD Speaker Auychai Watha chairman of a northeastern teachers' group. said:

"Whoever cheated [the country], may their children become whores infected with venereal disease!"

“Cookie”, 11-years-old daughter of the dead hero talks on PAD stage:

MC: In your opinion.. your dad did for the country.. what do you have to say to the police, government?.. to catch whoever did this?… What do you want to say to the prime minister, Somchai Wongsawat?

Cookie: I want to say.. I wish him dead like my dad….

[Applausing]

see, judinasia. you can be creative with your language. dosn't have to sound like George W Bush .

“Cookie”, 11-years-old daughter of the dead hero talks on PAD stage:

If I where PAD, I will not use the grief of a child for political reason.

LOL

you can read all over that people have spoken out against violence. The PAD is a group of protesters ... As for violent actions this week, it sucks that some PAD guards shot at people when they were attacked. It doesn't suck that they made some police run away. It doesn't suck that someone was detained and released. It would suck if a person were held hostage. It sucks that so many banned members are creating new names. It doesn't suck when they get banned again :o

Really because the video I saw of PAD shooting does not show any one shooting at them, attacking them... nope just PAD shooting...

I have a question to you and all other PAD haters?

1- do you like Thaksin coming back to power

2- do you believe that at this moment Thaksin is still controling the PPP and therefore the government

3- do you believe that changing the constitution in the favour of Thaksin is a good idea;

4- do you believe that the last elections where coruption free and there was no vote buying,

a simple yes or no will do.

PS: rainman we still wait for the debt rates in Isan and North before and after Thaksin

You apparently seem to think that opposing the PAD automatically means support for Thaksin.

No i don't think like that at all.

1.As a seeker of truth and justice I am now confused how a government can engage in electoral fraud, as you alledge.

Can you read up on that and inform me please.

Surely at the time of the election they were not the government but a legtimate political party with stated policies?

The coups, the court rulings, the dissolutions, the allegations,the courts themselves,...do you see the pattern here!.

2.Hypothetical.

Anarchy

Non democratic

The EC, who do they answer to? LOL

Dear Seeker of Truth and Justice, I would be most pleased to provide some reading material for you:

* Please refer to the front page of today's Bangkok Post or The Nation for details on the Constitution Court's ruling to dissolve PPP and Chart Thai for electoral fraud.

* You may care also to look the court's previous dissolution ruling against TRT (previous government), and to check the party lists (I am sure you can get the details from Wikipedia or similar). You will find that PPP is essentially a rebadged TRT formed from the remnants of the party.

* If you still remain uncertain, you will doubtless dismiss it as a remarkable coincidence the same faces (minus the banned executive), appearing in the third incarnation of the party (PTP) which has already been registered and - purely by chance - bears a logo with a passing resemblance to the PPP and TRT logos.

Breaking news: http://nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/r...newsid=30089984
Constitution Court dissolves People Power Party.

The Constitution Court dissolves People Power Party and ban its executive board members for five years.

No text in this article and no other on Tha Nation, but maybe it is true. If somebody knows more, pls post immediately!

I just saw it live on Thai television. In a nutshell:

- PPP is dissolved.

- 37 PPP members are barred from politics for five years, including Somchai

So Thailand now has no Prime Minister.

Hi.

Is Chalerm banned?

So now the PADs are on their way out of the airport, or what :o

Doubt it unfortunately, they want blood now. Looking more like Waco everyday, sorry for the innocents.

Where are you getting ideas like that?

ugh

Thaksin's wife bought some land, so he has to go to jail

Samak went on a ff-ing cooking program and he had to step down

PAD occupies the government house, the airports, defy the court rulings, proceedings AGAINST their enemies get hurried up.

didnt PAD commit vote buying to?

They might leave the airports later today, but most likely tomorrow or in a couple of days when the situations clears up.

No one is saying a word what is going to happen after the dissolution.

I find it hard to believe that the MPs can simply register with a new party and keep their seats that were won by a party dissolved for fraud.

Yesterday there were plenty of half hearted rumors that Chalerm might become the PM - he's not an exectuive, he hasn't been banned.

Will PAD go home if Chalerm takes over the government? I seriously doubt that.

PAD occupies the government house, the airports, defy the court rulings, proceedings AGAINST their enemies get hurried up.

yes <deleted> is wrong with this picture?

They might leave the airports later today, but most likely tomorrow or in a couple of days when the situations clears up.

No one is saying a word what is going to happen after the dissolution.

I find it hard to believe that the MPs can simply register with a new party and keep their seats that were won by a party dissolved for fraud.

Yesterday there were plenty of half hearted rumors that Chalerm might become the PM - he's not an exectuive, he hasn't been banned.

Will PAD go home if Chalerm takes over the government? I seriously doubt that.

There you go. Already backpedaling on previous commitments.

yes <deleted> is wrong with this picture?

Yes Thaksin committed abuse of power and was sentenced to 2 years

Samak broke the law and lied too --- BUT could have been PM again.

the PAD has appeals in on any court orders, The courts were ready to move, would you have preferred them to wait until the 8th or so?

No .. the PAD has never bought a single vote. They are not a political party.

There you go. Already backpedaling on previous commitments.

I didn't make any commitements on behalf of PAD.

If Chalerm becomes the PM I see zero chance of PAD packing up. That was never under the question, btw.

But obviously you have the same sense of integrity and intellectual honesty as them.