Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suvarnabhumi airport shut down til Dec 3

Serirat Prasutanond, General Manager of Suvarnabhumi International Airport, revealed that the airport has informed all relevant parties in aviation industry that the Suvarnabhumi airport would be discontinued for an additional 48 hours until 6 pm on December 3.

The airport's extended shut down, said Serirat, also acting President of Airports of Thailand which owns Suvarnabhumi international airport, was due to anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s protestors still seized the airport.

More information, contact 02-132-1888 or 02-132-1882 (Suvarnabhumi Hotlines).

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-02

It's a bit late now, but general Chamlong was saying last night that PAD never "seized" the airport. They went out there to protest the PM's arrival. That didn't happen, but Serirat closed the airport anyway, without any discussion with the PAD. Serirat is also known to have links with the UDD and PPP.

It seems like a great sleight of hand on Serirat's part and he's got away with it. Everyone is greatly inconvenienced. The PAD are painted into a corner. The media leap into the blame game. The clueless foreign media have a lot to say, and who benefits?

~Well isn't it curious we have heard NOTHING further about this alleged abduction...?

No sign that this policeman is still being held, no demands for his release.

We don't even have a NAME for this allegedely 'kidnapped officer'.

Maybe he got in the car to go have a negociation and then was dropped off again.

Seems a bit odd this silence, no?

No, it was recorded and broadcast on TV. He didn't get in the car, he was grabbed and forced into it. Obviously not a negotiation. I read somewhere he was released later.

One thing I do not understand is why did the PAD not just only wait for the court decision today to dissolve the PPP instead of this terrorist action at the airport. Can anyone explain that.

Things are a lot more complicated than just PAD versus government and UDD. Both sides try to create conditions for their advantage so they can maybe force something to happen or prevent something happening. It is all about pure raw power and some of the most powerful players are currently just sitting watching. They have the power to destroy one or both sides.

Self inflicted??? What school did you guys go to? Change/Democracy/Movement ... try to hear the rumblings underneath the surface happenings

Clearly a better one than you went to - actively wishing damage to your country's economy and reputation, seeing people without work and unable to support their children, seriously damaging businesses, whose owners have nothing to do with your anarchistic views. There are 350,000 people stranded in your country with commitments in their own. They have nothing to do with your fight, yet you think they should all suffer. You sit there rubbing your hands with glee while the people you blindly support kidnap people, beat them, steal and vandalise property.

I cannot begin to wonder where you learned this attitude to life!!

Apparently you find the continuous lobbing of grenades self-inflicted and deserved and consequently you question someone's attitude to life for not agreeing to this? Well what a contribution to society you are mister! And for your schooling, did you ever finish high school? I sincerely doubt it, as most of your posts match a pre-operational brain capacity!

So I do not blame the PM.

I don't *blame* him, par se, however he is in exile in Chiang Mai, fearful to return to the capital, he has lost control of Government House, he no longer controls the Police or the Military, hes lost control of both the airports in Bangkok and cannot get his cabinet to meet at parliament due to the protesters... simply put he is out of control, he no longer is able to lead the country. He is ineffective as Prime Minister.

I don't blame him, but surely he should see the light and step down before the courts dissolve his party. Right or Wrong, legal or not, the courts serving the crown will disband his party, ban him and his members from politics and cause another general election (that's pretty much a fore gone conclusion)

Im not debating his legal position, that's been done to death on the forum, the clear and simple fact remains that he no longer controls the country, he no longer is able to govern nor lead the country, he no longer commands the respect of the Police or the Military, he hasn't held government house since august

The PPP has no reason to fear new elections, as the Air Force chief pointed out...who will possibly defeat them? Aphisit and the Dems? Not without support from the North, Isaan and South.

Everytime after an election, the loosing will say the same.

"Let's have another re-election. There is no reason for you to fear, who will possibly defeat you."

Just imagine McCain saying this to Obama.

One thing I do not understand is why did the PAD not just only wait for the court decision today to dissolve the PPP instead of this terrorist action at the airport. Can anyone explain that.

Things are a lot more complicated than just PAD versus government and UDD. Both sides try to create conditions for their advantage so they can maybe force something to happen or prevent something happening. It is all about pure raw power and some of the most powerful players are currently just sitting watching. They have the power to destroy one or both sides.

I can't agree more. PAD is pressuring the court to vote in their favour. The judges are people too. They know that not giving what the PAD wants will hurt the country, and there is a chance that they will give in.

So I do not blame the PM.

I don't *blame* him, par se, however he is in exile in Chiang Mai, fearful to return to the capital, he has lost control of Government House, he no longer controls the Police or the Military, hes lost control of both the airports in Bangkok and cannot get his cabinet to meet at parliament due to the protesters... simply put he is out of control, he no longer is able to lead the country. He is ineffective as Prime Minister.

I don't blame him, but surely he should see the light and step down before the courts dissolve his party. Right or Wrong, legal or not, the courts serving the crown will disband his party, ban him and his members from politics and cause another general election (that's pretty much a fore gone conclusion)

And thats correct! He's lost control and as a result of that, we see an international airport blocked!

First lesson in crowd control: if you see a group of protesters/hooligans moving towards an no-go area, you make sure you block the roads toward it.

PAD's move from GH to the airports could not have been a surpriese. It must have taken them at least an hour to get there and hours to get fully mobilized! The police just let it happen!

I can't agree more. PAD is pressuring the court to vote in their favour. The judges are people too. They know that not giving what the PAD wants will hurt the country, and there is a chance that they will give in.

Not withstanding the little fact that the courts should vote in their favour as it happens to be the correct decision. :o

Edited by scratt

The PPP has no reason to fear new elections, as the Air Force chief pointed out...who will possibly defeat them? Aphisit and the Dems? Not without support from the North, Isaan and South.

Everytime after an election, the loosing will say the same.

"Let's have another re-election. There is no reason for you to fear, who will possibly defeat you."

Just imagine McCain saying this to Obama.

McCain would have beaten Obama (possibly) if not for the untimely economic meltdown in the middle of the campaign.

Look the margins in the past, something like 2-1...US elections are never decided by more than 10 points, and this was one of the bigger blowouts since FDR for the Democrats. What was the final margin, 7 points?

Is there any other party in Thailand that could come within 30 points of PPP or their proxies?

Is there any other party in Thailand that could come within 30 points of PPP or their proxies?

According to the results of the last election, the PPP beat the Dems by less than 1%.

Remember that the only reason the PPP has control is because they are part of a coalition with 2 other parties (that, pre-election, claimed they would not side with the PPP).

So yes, there is another party that could possibly beat the PPP.

When a Thai is in a foreign country, does that make them a farang?

Whenever I hear a Thai use the word farang here when I am eating in a Thai restaurant in Sydney, I quickly remind them that they are the farang in this country................

Farang originate from the word France or French, one of the eariest caucassian (even though the Portugese arr before them). It generally mean WHITE people. Other foreigners of different colour are NOT called Farang................

We're way off topic but yes, presumably with the same origin as barang in Cambodia. Westerner is perhaps a better interpretation than foreigner. As you say, Japanese, Chinese, Arabs etc etc are not farang and so an American is farang if he's white caucasian but not if he's black or of asian extraction. Or so I understand.

Whilst snipping my post for a more self-convenient reply you 'forgot' to answer the other two questions I posed (now hi-lighted). Please do. Thank you

First, I don't think I have any kind of obligation to answer your questions or posts, just as you don't have any to answer mine.

Second, I don't care of you consider any of my posts childish. My childish posts don't hurt anyone, don't cause any financial losses. The childish actions of the PAD and the incompetence of the PM to stop them, however, are hurting Thailand and it's people.

Thats the problem with "elite sheep". They think they are superior and can demand answers to their crackpot questions on a web board.

We shold perhaps stick to highlighting the Fascist threat to people with the capacity to learn or understand something.

You mean how you demanded answers in another thread of some inane questions?

Ah, yes, pot and kettle...

Thai are not very racist

LOL :o

Do you have any 'negro' friends here, or maybe 'smelly, dirty Indian' pals?

I respectively disagree with your statement.

On a different subject, having just caught a glimpse of a recent post, isn't the coalition made up of more than 2 other parties besides the PPP?

Edited by fudoshinanzan

Whenever I hear a Thai use the word farang here when I am eating in a Thai restaurant in Sydney, I quickly remind them that they are the farang in this country................

Farang originate from the word France or French, one of the eariest caucassian (even though the Portugese arr before them). It generally mean WHITE people. Other foreigners of different colour are NOT called Farang................

We're way off topic but yes, presumably with the same origin as barang in Cambodia. Westerner is perhaps a better interpretation than foreigner. As you say, Japanese, Chinese, Arabs etc etc are not farang and so an American is farang if he's white caucasian but not if he's black or of asian extraction. Or so I understand.

That's correct. FARANG is the term to call White People, not black, jap, korean, etc. There is a term that Thai call foreigner: TANG CHART (other national). This term is widely used as well.

I'm a white Englishman, but once while getting my hair cut, having tanned skin and a thick beard, a lady surmised that I was Moroccan. :o Upon finding out I was in fact English her behaviour changed a fair bit.

Anyways, sorry, yes we're off-topic here!

quote from today's editorial in the Nation newspaper:

"Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat ....has showed no leadership because he has no leadership qualities at all."

Because the Thai PAD/elitists/royalists don't WANT a leader. The last true leader who coincidentally was the first elected Thai leader with a SUSTAINED popular vote was run out of town by the army acting at the behest of.... oh, why bother.

That's correct. FARANG is the term to call White People, not black, jap, korean, etc. There is a term that Thai call foreigner: TANG CHART (other national). This term is widely used as well.

khon tang phathet is heard occasionally too. I think that's the phrase that should be used. It's not exactly snappy though, is it? I've heard 'farang' used innocently and out of routine and also quite maliciously and with disdain, but it's not really in the word so much as the context and intent.

Suvarnabhumi airport shut down til Dec 3

Serirat Prasutanond, General Manager of Suvarnabhumi International Airport, revealed that the airport has informed all relevant parties in aviation industry that the Suvarnabhumi airport would be discontinued for an additional 48 hours until 6 pm on December 3.

The airport's extended shut down, said Serirat, also acting President of Airports of Thailand which owns Suvarnabhumi international airport, was due to anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD)'s protestors still seized the airport.

More information, contact 02-132-1888 or 02-132-1882 (Suvarnabhumi Hotlines).

- ThaiNews / 2008-12-02

It's a bit late now, but general Chamlong was saying last night that PAD never "seized" the airport. They went out there to protest the PM's arrival. That didn't happen, but Serirat closed the airport anyway, without any discussion with the PAD. Serirat is also known to have links with the UDD and PPP.

It seems like a great sleight of hand on Serirat's part and he's got away with it. Everyone is greatly inconvenienced. The PAD are painted into a corner. The media leap into the blame game. The clueless foreign media have a lot to say, and who benefits?

How come Sondhi and Chamlong did not tell people to leave the airport after they realized what Serirat did?

And is Serirat to blame for seizing Don Muang as well?

Who is Serirat by the way?

i have a thai family in korat where i stay for 6 months of the year and in the village where i live about 24 people including one in my family have just left to meet other people in korat and are going to the airport ,all in yellow shirts not sure who asked them to come , i dont understand anymore .

Do you know if they are being paid. Please do not speculate if you are not 100% sure. Thanks in advance.

Don't sweat it. 99% of what you read on here is pure speculation.

Brother, if THAT ain't the ever-lovin' truth! Amazing that all the world's political, economic, tourism, psychology, and legal experts all just happen to be members of and so actively posting on this board! My oh my. Does the Thai government, their courts, their transportation authorities and their crisis response bodies KNOW about this place?! Surely not, or every Thai alive today would surely be basking in the sunshine of the one truth, real justice and enlightenment.

================================================

Whatever happened to discourse that went, "In my opinion....", or "It seems to me that.......", or "Does anyone agree with me that....", instead of: "It's OBVIOUS to even an ignorant git that so-n-so is such-n-such, and if you don't realize that you deserve to have your brains sucked out through your elbows and fed to more intelligent people like me!....

I have a question to you and all other PAD haters?

1- do you like Thaksin coming back to power

2- do you believe that at this moment Thaksin is still controling the PPP and therefore the government

3- do you believe that changing the constitution in the favour of Thaksin is a good idea;

4- do you believe that the last elections where coruption free and there was no vote buying,

a simple yes or no will do.

PS: rainman we still wait for the debt rates in Isan and North before and after Thaksin

1. Thaksin?

2. no

3. that is a stupid question

4. i don't answer stupid questions.

and don't say haters to us. PAD propagates Hate. i puke an PAD.

At least you are making abundantly clear that you have very little or no understanding of the situation. And arrogant to booth.

khon tang phathet is heard occasionally too. I think that's the phrase that should be used. It's not exactly snappy though, is it? I've heard 'farang' used innocently and out of routine and also quite maliciously and with disdain, but it's not really in the word so much as the context and intent.

I hate the word "Farang", I feel like its 1960 in middle america and I am a black man being called "n....."

According to the results of the last election, the PPP beat the Dems by less than 1%.

Remember that the only reason the PPP has control is because they are part of a coalition with 2 other parties (that, pre-election, claimed they would not side with the PPP).

So yes, there is another party that could possibly beat the PPP.

I'm talking about a head to head competition between anyone put forth by the new PPP (whatever you call it) and Aphisit.

Does anyone believe the Dems would stand even a sliver's chance? Let's go back to 2006 for a refresher.

This was a short-sighted act. Of course, they would have lost the election of April 2006 if they had contested it. But the Thaksin vote was soft, even in parts of his heartland, as indicated by the low voter turnout and the high “no-vote” recommended by the boycotters. In all likelihood they would have gained ground, considerable ground, from their low-point of 2005 when they won only 96 seats in the 500 seat parliament. With some solid grass roots campaigning they would have been able to steadily chip away at Thaksin’s electoral dominance.

Instead they took the extra-electoral route, sabotaging the 2006 snap election and then endorsing the coup that followed. Now they are back in the political game but not in government. They have put in a much better performance than 2005 but at what cost? The highly regarded 1997 constitution has been torn up. Thailand’s democratic system itself has been weakened by yet another military intrusion into the political system. There is very little for the Democrat Party to celebrate tonight.

facepalm the European TV channels

so what monkey channel your are locking, after a monkey cutter, a monkey comera men and a monkey fun channel anchorman here in bangkok had shoout a some footage or just bought it. from an other camera men.

would the on money channel going to confus the monkey with the remote on a sofa. no, you will get your typical monkey channel entertainment. thats all.

you should question youre monkey channel and not here.

How old are you? Yo are acting like a brat.

Instead of insulting every news-organization in Europe since you suddenly fins out that they didn't support the world view you try to perpetuate, how about you tell us exactly what news organizations we should get our news from to become as enlightened as you?

Or are you going to ignore this post, as you do with any other post asking for something of value from you, or just post a snide remark at it and hope it goes away?

I'm talking about a head to head competition between anyone put forth by the new PPP (whatever you call it) and Aphisit.

Does anyone believe the Dems would stand even a sliver's chance? Let's go back to 2006 for a refresher.

No not even the PAD that’s why they want to take away the voting rights of the "un-educated dummies" that don't know about politics and need "re-educating"....

But if the Yellows lose another election they will start protesting again, unless the DEMS win the yellows will be at it again.

Until the yellow's get their way, this will be a never ending "peacefull" protesting

Edited by MyphuketLife

The PAD leaders would also reassess the country's political situation after the Constitution Court hands down its verdicts in the party dissolution cases against the People Power, Chart Thai and Matchimathipataya parties. It will continue to rally if the new government is still a proxy government of deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, however.

thats from bangkokpost article here: http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=135118

So, the demands change yet again. The rally may STILL continue even if Somchai steps down right now

I hate the word "Farang", I feel like its 1960 in middle america and I am a black man being called "n....."

Well your feelings are entirely misplaced, but this is not the thread for such discussion.

Since the government was about to rush through amendments to the constitution making some very crucial changes that could make the dissolve-case void and null and give Thaksin immunity.

And since they wasn't able to hold these assemblies lately, it seems PAD won a small victory at least.

We might not like how they did it but we can at least appreciate that their actions did at least stop something very bad, so far.