Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

Sad times for Thailand, but it's all self inflicted..!!

:o

I could not agree more it is self inflicted. I don't know how the Yellow shirt think they can shut down 2 airports, kidnap police, shoot at media vans, and all the other "non-violent" acts and expect no one to hurt them in return.

I just wish the police or army would move in on the airports sooner than later. At the point the army or police move in, give an exit route and tell all those "non-violent" "protestors" the way to exit without getting hurt. Then those that stay behind and refuse to exit should get no sympathy for whatever happens during the eviction process.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately the PAD protestors have bought the violence on themsleves.

By holding the country to ransom they have abrogated any moral high ground they may have held in their fight for a more democratic Thailand.

In fact their very actions are pushing Thailand to the brink of mass civil disobedience and creating the very conditions that will make any sort of more democratic society in Thailand that much more remote.

The misguided tactics of PAD are fracturing and polarising many Thais and indeed threatening the livelihood of many who are already living very close to the margins.

No matter what the outcome the divisions that have been created by PADs actions may well have serious implications for ongoing instability in Thailand for a long time to come.

I agree with you on this one. Taking the country's most profitable assets effects many and elevates the situation. With my humble opinion, I would like to share my thoughts here:

1. All PAD protesters should go home. Stop holding the air ports and anywhere else IMMEDIATELY. This will eliminate the "conditions" for the red shirt mob to exist. If the court delivers the result and there is no PAD movement, then the only bad guys would be the red shirt mob if they want to challenge the court.

2. There is no need to hold the ground and take all attacks. This is not necessary. No need to have PAD protesters get killed, unless PAD want the Army to respond, which will not happen.

3. Taksin's ultimate goal is to have A COUP in Thailand so the current Constitutional Laws will be eliminated, therefore, leave the open door for him to return to Thailand as the winner.

Golf

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jh...2/01/do0110.xml

Not sure if the British Telegraph is a reliabale source or not. Some funny cut and paste are here:

The anti-government People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), which has illegally occupied Government House since August and now occupies Bangkok's two airports, has only limited support. ...

At Bangkok's international airport on Monday afternoon there appeared to be only a few hundred die-hards occupying one of Asia's most important transportation hubs. ....

On Sunday one of the group's leaders, retired Major General Chamlong Srimuang, met with police to complain about a string of mysterious attacks against his supporters. He was not arrested for hijacking the country's two most important airports. ....

The economy is in meltdown.

Take a look at those crowded streets full of cars now. Most of those cars will be off the streets just as they were in 1998 when the economy here crashed. but this time it will be far worse.

This time Thai people are fighting. There is near chaos. How long before the little law and order we have breaks completely down here?

How can a court remove a government? That cannot happen in any real democracy can it. Only the Congress can remove an American president. Only the Parliament can remove a PM in other democracies. How many coups has Thailand had/s it 20 or more? I think so.

Can you imagine your head of government telling your police or military to remove a small mob and the same refusing to do so? HAAA HAAA No chance

Of course Thailand is not now nor has it ever been a democracy. it has tried to make the world believe it is one but that game is now over.

It is just a matter of time now before the world hits Thailand with trade sanctions and this place becomes like Burma.

All because the rich upper class here want the under classes on their knees. They are not happy unless they have the majority of Thais uneducated and crawling on the ground. This is what makes the upper class happy here.

Those trade tariffs to come will make Thailand a wreck.

Hey Thai people. I might be stupid and all we farangs are stupid. That makes you happy to say and think that right. But I know when someone is robbing me and when my life in my home nation is wrecked, it is not someone in another nation that did this to me. It is people in my home that did it to me.

Look at your homes here. You have barbed wire fences all around all of them. Why is that/ because Thai people rob you for sure if you do not do so. Your Thai brothers are the problem and you scream at people on vacation. Pathetic.

Good luck

Grow up Thailand

i have a thai family in korat where i stay for 6 months of the year and in the village where i live about 24 people including one in my family have just left to meet other people in korat and are going to the airport ,all in yellow shirts not sure who asked them to come , i dont understand anymore .

Please someone compile a list of TV memebrs who think that firing grenades into crowds of people is a self inflicted, fully deserved activity.

Was it Sunderland on the previous page who suggested "let's scare them" explanation for bombings. Isn't it terrorism - scaring people?

Why is only PAD moms hanging about the airport are terrorists and not the sick f*cks who throw bombs at them to make them go home?

Reds have tried to block the Constitution Court from this last hearing - how democratic is that, didn't they hear Thaksin preaching "everyone must obey the law" just two days ago?

Over 90% of people have trust in judiciary solving the conflict according to polls, btw.

Does anyone have any idea of when the airport will re-open?

My mother-in-law is stuck here with us in Sydney until Thailand can get its act together and re-open the airport; something that would have happened immediatley, one way or another, in a more civilized palce. She was due to leave on the 7th, the date can be changed, moreover, the visa expires on the 15th. Does anyone think the airport and intl flights will return into BKK by the 15th? She will fly Qantas not Thai, so landing in Chonburi is not an option at the moment as the Thai flights to Sydney have been disrupted anyway and the ticket is cannot be transfered.

Reminder.

From the Thai Visa forum rules.

Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

Do not discuss, speculate, allude too, or make oblique references to the Monarchy of Thailand on this web board.

Failure to comply will earn members a holiday from this board.

i have a thai family in korat where i stay for 6 months of the year and in the village where i live about 24 people including one in my family have just left to meet other people in korat and are going to the airport ,all in yellow shirts not sure who asked them to come , i dont understand anymore .

Do you know if they are being paid. Please do not speculate if you are not 100% sure. Thanks in advance.

Please someone compile a list of TV memebrs who think that firing grenades into crowds of people is a self inflicted, fully deserved activity.

Was it Sunderland on the previous page who suggested "let's scare them" explanation for bombings. Isn't it terrorism - scaring people?

Why is only PAD moms hanging about the airport are terrorists and not the sick f*cks who throw bombs at them to make them go home?

Reds have tried to block the Constitution Court from this last hearing - how democratic is that, didn't they hear Thaksin preaching "everyone must obey the law" just two days ago?

Over 90% of people have trust in judiciary solving the conflict according to polls, btw.

IMHO, I believe it is not self inflicted. I also believe it is not the work of the RED. Have you not heard of the theory of "THE THIRD HAND"?

A third party provoke the 1st two to kill themselves. At the end, when both are dead or two weak, the third party rules.

<snip>

Why does the north reject Aphisit?

Who else can lead/unify the country? Aren't many of his reform initiatives and ideas fairly similar to PPP?

What will happen if Thaksin enters the country from Cambodia and Somchai leaves?

What will happen if the Court is prevented from rendering a verdict?

Will the PAD still occupy SUVA on Friday, which could be seen as disrespectful to someone who we see before every movie here??

Aphisit is intelligent, has a degree in economics from Oxford, seems very charismatic...does the North and Isaan reject him because he's perceived as an elite, or is it simply an allegiance borne of vote-buying/bribery/corruption/Robin Hood redistributive politics?

What if anything MIGHT be said Thursday to end the crisis?

Edited by soundman

Take a look at those crowded streets full of cars now. Most of those cars will be off the streets just as they were in 1998 when the economy

Hey Thai people. I might be stupid and all we farangs are stupid.

Grow up Thailand

When a Thai is in a foreign country, does that make them a farang?

Whenever I hear a Thai use the word farang here when I am eating in a Thai restaurant in Sydney, I quickly remind them that they are the farang in this country, and if they don't like being a farang, they can leave. They apologise (which is something I have never seen in Thailand due to the face saving device they use) behind a fake smile, but it makes me wonder, whenever I do this, do they get to experience what we experience when we are called farangs in LOS, or, does it just go overe the self-centered mongrels heads whilst they continue to think its okay to call us farangs in LOS but its not okay for us to do the same and that we are picking on them?

I agree with the last 3 words in your post.

barry i dont know if there getting money but i can tell you one thing there taking a lot of kids as well .

Thanks for the info. Using kids as a human shield is not acceptable.

In the UK, the parents can be arrested for subjecting their children to potential harm; like not putting their children in a proper child seat while driving.

barry i dont know if there getting money but i can tell you one thing there taking a lot of kids as well .

This is the part I dont understand :o

Fighting for a cause that you believe in, demonstrating and putting yourself at risk because you believe in something so much...I get all that.

But as a father myself, why oh why would you take your children to a dangerous situation and one that is becoming more volatile by the minute?

They just do not think. :D

Do you know if they are being paid. Please do not speculate if you are not 100% sure. Thanks in advance.

Don't sweat it. 99% of what you read on here is pure speculation.

Take a look at those crowded streets full of cars now. Most of those cars will be off the streets just as they were in 1998 when the economy

Hey Thai people. I might be stupid and all we farangs are stupid.

Grow up Thailand

When a Thai is in a foreign country, does that make them a farang?

Whenever I hear a Thai use the word farang here when I am eating in a Thai restaurant in Sydney, I quickly remind them that they are the farang in this country, and if they don't like being a farang, they can leave. They apologise (which is something I have never seen in Thailand due to the face saving device they use) behind a fake smile, but it makes me wonder, whenever I do this, do they get to experience what we experience when we are called farangs in LOS, or, does it just go overe the self-centered mongrels heads whilst they continue to think its okay to call us farangs in LOS but its not okay for us to do the same and that we are picking on them?

I agree with the last 3 words in your post.

Farang originate from the word France or French, one of the eariest caucassian (even though the Portugese arr before them). It generally mean WHITE people. Other foreigners of different colour are NOT called Farang.

Thai are not very racist (hey nobody is 100% perfect). Here are some of the name they call other colours (they means no harm in most cases):

KEK = India, Arab, and other darker skin asian like Malaysian.

JEK = Chinese

YUNG = Japanese

AI MERD = Black

Ai KAN = Short for American

I used to lean slightly towards the PAD after their helping in the removal of Thaksin. But their ideas are outdated and their actions are stupid. Now my girlfriend, who is a tour guide and works on comission, has no customers and it's me who is having to fork out because of this. Go home PAD, you've caused enough long term damage to your own supposedly beloved country.

Self inflicted??? What school did you guys go to? Change/Democracy/Movement ... try to hear the rumblings underneath the surface happenings

Clearly a better one than you went to - actively wishing damage to your country's economy and reputation, seeing people without work and unable to support their children, seriously damaging businesses, whose owners have nothing to do with your anarchistic views. There are 350,000 people stranded in your country with commitments in their own. They have nothing to do with your fight, yet you think they should all suffer. You sit there rubbing your hands with glee while the people you blindly support kidnap people, beat them, steal and vandalise property.

I cannot begin to wonder where you learned this attitude to life!!

A conservative 150 million dollars (over 5 billion THB) per day lost in tourist revenue dollars is sickeningly a horrible price to pay while selling out their beloved country...and lost revenue that may continue for decades.

Wow. What hat did that number come out of ?

150m per day x 365 = 54,750,000,000 per year. Almost 55 billion ("conservative" estimate no less).

That's about 25% more than the government's entire budget for a year apparently ! And would be well over 20% of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP). Which is also amazing, as it seems from other discussions here (on TV) that most figures point to the tourism revenue only representing 6-8% of the GDP.

A link to the source of this (conservative) $150 million per day loss in tourism revenue would be appreciated. I'd like to see how they came up with those numbers.

quote from today's editorial in the Nation newspaper:

"Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has no sense of the damage being done to the country. He is like Humpty Dumpty, sitting on the fence as if nothing has happened. He was shown on TV visiting a temple in Nakhon Phanom while the country collapses around us. He has showed no leadership because he has no leadership qualities at all."

The kids are brought along to the protest because the parent believes that the police or army will not act in an aggressive way towards the demonstrators. A sort of mum and dad type psychology. And someone maybe promoting the idea of bringing children.

But the situation can get out of control very quickly. Once the police give the order to disburse and the order is ignored the next likely action is to fire a volley of shots over the protesters heads, or tear gas. At this point children and the elderly should be moved away as quickly as possible. Within a short period, a second demand maybe (may not be) made to disburse which if ignored will be followed by a baton charge, more shots, and more tear gas.

At that point if children are still in the throng all blame is on the parents. In a volatile situation that turns ugly it is the parent that is responsible for their kids safety, not the police or the army or the government.

Holding the country to ransome is something that cannot be taken lightly and it will come to a head. Which may be sooner rather than later if the constitutional court finds in favour of the PPP.

I guess we will know more by nightfall.

quote from today's editorial in the Nation newspaper:

"Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat has no sense of the damage being done to the country. He is like Humpty Dumpty, sitting on the fence as if nothing has happened. He was shown on TV visiting a temple in Nakhon Phanom while the country collapses around us. He has showed no leadership because he has no leadership qualities at all."

So do you agree with that statement or disagree with it?

The PM ordered the Police to empty the airports and they refused to do so.

He likely has ordered the military to do so and they of course also say no.

Now that might seem like a failure on his part but back in our own nations the military generals would be prosecuted for treason. They certainly would be fired. The Police chiefs would also all be removed.

But of course we are from democracies where the loyalty is to the nation and not the army or its bosses.

So I do not blame the PM.

One thing I do not understand is why did the PAD not just only wait for the court decision today to dissolve the PPP instead of this terrorist action at the airport. Can anyone explain that.

Yes, it has been explained, maybe a dozen times already, but it seems few pay heed.

The "government" was trying to sneak through amendments to the constitution that would have made their illegal actions legal. Then the court would not be able to rule against them and dissolve their party.

Had their plans not been disrupted, they would have made other changes to the constitution as well, which would have enabled them to pardon people like Thaksin and his (ex) wife of their crimes and allow them to return to Thailand and regain their power (and money).

The government was also seeking to impeach some of the judges, in a desperate attempt to have the proceedings cancelled. No judges, no ruling.

PAD found out about their plan and set about to disrupt it. The government had tried to hide it by saying they were going to ratify the framework for the ASEAN conference or some other such nonsense, hoping nobody would notice until it was too late.

Now, in another last ditch attempt to save their own necks, whoever is controlling the "reds" is threatening to have them move on the courts. Again, trying to forestall a ruling that would force the 3 parties involved to step down.