Once You Leave....

duchovny

With this latest crap going on in Thailand prompting many to seriously think about finally leaving, I'd just like to add that I left the Land of Idiots 2 years ago and have never been happier.

I also pondered about where else to go as I didnt want to go back to Farangland. But when I finally left (to Cambodia) it was a massive relief. Cambodia is welcoming to foreigners and foreign investment alike.

Now, when I decide to go back to Thailand to see what it's like, I can't get in because of .......... more stupidity.

Leave, you wont regret it.

With this latest crap going on in Thailand prompting many to seriously think about finally leaving, I'd just like to add that I left the Land of Idiots 2 years ago and have never been happier.

I also pondered about where else to go as I didnt want to go back to Farangland. But when I finally left (to Cambodia) it was a massive relief. Cambodia is welcoming to foreigners and foreign investment alike.

Now, when I decide to go back to Thailand to see what it's like, I can't get in because of .......... more stupidity.

missing you already :o

I quite agree, however it seems to be keeping the majority of ThaiVisa members busier than ever before!!

Just hope that the airport re-opens before my flight to PNH on 5th Dec. . .

I hope it opens soon. I land in Bangkok on Thursday evening.

duchovny how reliable and fast is internet in Cambodia? What is the best city to live in? Is it generally safe? I am very interested in relocating. Feel free to PM me.

duchovny how reliable and fast is internet in Cambodia? What is the best city to live in? Is it generally safe? I am very interested in relocating. Feel free to PM me.

Many of us would also be interested in knowing more about Cambodia.

These people are all rant and I wager that duchovny will not answer your questions.

Hi Wasabi , i am one of those people not detered by some bombastic attitude of a wanabee to give you a little insight into Cambodia .

I Have lived here 3 years after spending 7 years in Thailand , all i can say is i wish i had made the move earlier , when you fly in and arrive at the airport you will notice the friendly nature of the people which is prevelant throughout Cambodia . They actualy welcome you as people and not a mere ATM machine to be exploited , although i will admit there are those around , as in many countries , of dubious character . I did miss quite a few things i had become accustomed to living in Thailand , but slowely came to realise that those things were not essential to my standard of living .

In my 3 years here i have not had one problem with internet service other than hotmail being somewhat slow at times , but then , i am never in that much of a rush . I use Online and have never been abused or ignored by any of the Cogetel staff , they even came to my apartment to finish setting everything up when i first got hooked up to their service . I have the cheapy version at 100Kpbs for $39.00 a month , but 256Kps (or more i think since an update) is available at $99.00 per month with 300 Mb allowance , $0.12 Mb over that .

No visa hastle or visa runs , get a buisness visa on arrival(1 month) , then a short walk to a friendly travel shop and in 24 hours you have a one year visa , and life continues in that vein in laid back Cambodia . Apartments are a good deal as is transportation around the city , no bus service , just moto/tuk-tuk or taxi at low cost . Traffic looks a little hectic even scary at times , but once you get to know the ropes one can cross roads 'No problem ' , I have had only one motto 'Brush' my arm in all this time , pack up , get your ass here and don't look back .

I love it ... so many folks that couldn't make it in Thailand are now over in Cambodia! (Constantly checking in with THAIVisa.com because Cambodia is so great!)

but really, I want to go there and live under the rule of Hun Sen, wander the rolling hills filled with landmines and unexploded ordinance, and visit the beaches that make Pattaya beach look pristine!

I love it ... so many folks that couldn't make it in Thailand are now over in Cambodia! (Constantly checking in with THAIVisa.com because Cambodia is so great!)

but really, I want to go there and live under the rule of Hun Sen, wander the rolling hills filled with landmines and unexploded ordinance, and visit the beaches that make Pattaya beach look pristine!

Me too !

I especially look forward to things like lack of development, little (if any) law enforcement, lower standard of medical care available, fewer services, and elections that make the current crisis in Bangkok look like a picnic !

I never knew Cambodia was so great. No crime. No corruption. Great infrastructure everywhere (roads, water, electrical, sewage, phones, etc). You can probably import whatever you want for free. No worries about driving licenses or insurance, or registering vehicles. No prostitution or drugs. No rip-offs. No "sick buffalo" stories. No confrontations with neighbouring countries.

And hey, when all that wonderfulness wears off or the :o , I can just come back to Thailand ! :D

Leave????? Why???????

I am already away from Thailand and cannot wait for the dispute at Swampy to be resolved so I can get back to my house, my life and most importantly, my beloved. My return flight is booked.

Seems to me that some people will never be happy wherever they are.

Thailand is still a very good place to be IMHO even with the 'difficulties' they have.

Many will bottle it and not go back but that is up to them. I flew into North Ameica the month after 7/11 and people said I was crazy to go. I flew into BKK for the first time while there were tanks on the streets. My friends said I was crazy then, too. Now I am due back and no airport to land at and what seems to be developing into national unrest going on.

Maybe I should change my name to Jonah :o

Yet, I feel no fear or see any real problems for myself and other 'Farang' in the majority of Thailand so I will be happy to stay there. For those who do feel the need to find another country, best of luck to them :D

I am checking Thaivisa because I am due to fly to Bkk soon.

but really, I want to go there and live under the rule of Hun Sen,

as opposed to Thailands moralistic and efficient government :o

Cambodia's internet connections are now very good, probably on par with Thailand. At the moment they are a little more expensive, but prices are coming down as more competition moves in.

The best cities, for me, are Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville. Siem Reap is just a place to stay when you visit Angkor Wat and is a little boring in comparison.

The beaches in Sihanoukville are quite clean now and that city is really starting to take off. Many new restaurants and bars and new mid range hotels and resorts. It's advisable to book ahead for a hotel room in S'ville these days.

There are many people who haven't been to Cambodia for 2 or 3 years that would disagree that Cambodia is a good place to live. It has changed dramatically in these past few years. I think it will continue to adavance as the Govt and people seem to want that, especially in the tourism, manufacturing and agriculture industries.

IMHO it's a great time to invest in the country, like Thailand was a while back.

if you would like to discuss the current crisis in Thailand due to the latest political situation, I suggest you do so on the various threads running.

however, if you (mainly the OP) want to simply vent out anger, this is the wrong space for it.

:o