Is It Safe And Wise To Travel To Phuket Now?

RorneTan

Hi

I am from Malaysia and will be travelling to Phuket tomorrow and my flight from Kuala Lumpur via AirAsia is scheduled at 12.45 pm and arriving Phuket about 1pm on Monday (1st December 2008). My question is ... Is it safe and wise to travel to Phuket at this point of time? I heard about the chaos in Bangkok and thought that it might not affect other internal airports in Thailand but it turned out today that most international airlines might be cancelling their flights to and from Phuket due to the effects from the Bangkok airports' closure.

As for AirAsia I could not find anything in the web to see whether my flight will be cancelled or postponed? Can anyone in Phuket help to give me the best advice before I start packing for my trip tomorrow?

Appreciated it.

Rorne

Confused and worried Malaysian tourist

Edited by RorneTan

Hi

I am from Malaysia and will be travelling to Phuket tomorrow and my flight from Kuala Lumpur via AirAsia is scheduled at 12.45 pm and arriving Phuket about 1pm on Monday (1st December 2008). My question is ... Is it safe and wise to travel to Phuket at this point of time? I heard about the chaos in Bangkok and thought that it might not affect other internal airports in Thailand but it turned out today that most international airlines might be cancelling their flights to and from Phuket due to the effects from the Bangkok airports' closure.

As for AirAsia I could not find anything in the web to see whether my flight will be cancelled or postponed? Can anyone in Phuket help to give me the best advice before I start packing for my trip tomorrow?

Appreciated it.

Rorne

Confused and worried Malaysian tourist

It's business as usual in Phuket, just with less tourists. Once you arrive you'll barely notice that this is a country in turmoil.

You'll need to phone Air Asia to find out about flights. There is always a chance the PAD nutters may shut down Phuket airport again, but it would seem unlikely.

Thanks Jive

I think I am not gonna take my chances. I am not concern about the situation In Phuket but Phuket Airport. Whether there will be a problem to get home after I am there as its looks like the stand off in bangkok will take some time to clear. Possibility that PAD might use a broader and bold strategy later to take over all airports in Thailand in order to achieve their objective. I have read about the chaos in U-Tapoa, not gonna take a risk to end up like the poor tourists there.

But thanks anyway, I have checked with AirAsia online and it seems there is no info about the status of the flight tomorrow, probably they have cancelled my flight anyway.

It's frustrating to know that an Airline like Airasia does not have at least a proper notification to their passengers whether via online or otherwise as information is priceless in this kind of situation we are facing in and its frustrating to be unable to gather proper and general facts to make up proper decision on the next course of action in my travel plans. I think an Airline shall have proper and fast notification mechanism to notify every affected passengers in this modern internet access technology and yet we have none.

All I have is info from someone kind enough to reply like JiveTalker in this forum.

What happen to the policy that customer is always right? Is it only work in a non-catastrophy situation.

dam_n....

Edited by RorneTan

Highly unlikely the Phuket PAD would touch the airport here again. Last time it had no effect on Bangkok and just caused bad feelings locally. Anyway they are all in Bangkok.

I would say come and enjoy a great holiday in Phuket- less tourists and more bargains. It should all be over come the king's birthday December 5.

From what I understand, only one international flight from Phuket was cancelled since the airport siege began. That was an AirAsia flight to Singapore, and it was cancelled because it was a connecting flight from Bkk and the plane was trapped in Suvarnabhumi.

Other than that, int'l flights in and out appear to be operating normally

• 4 months later...

We are booked to fly into Phuket on 4th May 09 (in 3 short weeks and I can't wait!) and have heard some conflicting reports on whether its safe to still holiday there. We intend on spending some of our time in Koh Samui.

Are both places safe for tourists?

I've also booked my holidays in phuket on the 13th May. With the recent news about the havoc in bangkok, i was advised not to go. Oh well, i can't afford to lose the money i've paid for my flights and hotels. Is there anyone who can tell me if it's safe in phuket? I hope that it will be convincing enough, so that i can ensure my wife that i will be okay.

I've also booked my holidays in phuket on the 13th May. With the recent news about the havoc in bangkok, i was advised not to go. Oh well, i can't afford to lose the money i've paid for my flights and hotels. Is there anyone who can tell me if it's safe in phuket? I hope that it will be convincing enough, so that i can ensure my wife that i will be okay.

I'm sitting here in Phuket watching the live TV feed from Bangkok. It looks quite frightening. But Phuket is another matter, perfectly normal here. Not sure I would route through Bangkok airport right now, best to have direct flight to Phuket. have a good holiday, in Phuket.

I'm sitting here in Phuket watching the live TV feed from Bangkok. It looks quite frightening. But Phuket is another matter, perfectly normal here. Not sure I would route through Bangkok airport right now, best to have direct flight to Phuket. have a good holiday, in Phuket.

Since the last problem at BKK airport I always fly Malaysia airlines to KL and on to Phuket, as a bonus I find the airline better than Thai airways and cheaper, I realise this info. may not help you but could be of help to others :o