Expats: How Worried Are You That Thailand Is Falling Apart?

Jingthing

Expats: How worried are you that Thailand is falling apart?  

460 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I am only worried about one thing, and that is if the sh!t hits the fan, communications systems (ie. the internet) could go down. Then I wouldn't be able to work or communicate with friends and family, and would be totally screwed. Hopefully that is an outlandish scenario though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am only worried about one thing, and that is if the sh!t hits the fan, communications systems (ie. the internet) could go down. Then I wouldn't be able to work or communicate with friends and family, and would be totally screwed. Hopefully that is an outlandish scenario though.

Don't worry, you can still get Thailandfriends on you mobile. :o

I am not really worried about the political situation here, it is a total mess and it will always be.

What worries me more is the 1.000.000 of unemployed those events risk to create. Since it seems tourism will go badly this year, a lot of thai people will be short of money and this can be a problem since I think criminality will raise and guess who will be their targets ?

yes, indeed, because of this we installed a better alarm system in the house this weekend; criminality and violence caused by unemployment and poverty will sharply rise for sure ...

I am moderately worried, however as I have a perpetual guard posted outside my appartment block I am now slightly less worried.

Given the current situation I may now start waking him up once in while :o

So long as the factors that make Thailand attractive to local and foreign investors do not change significantly, then I'm only a tad worried.

- The location of Bangkok in relation to the rest of SE Asia, China and India is unlikely to change.

- I guess the nice new airport will reopen one day (the 4th Dec is my bet)

- Property and office prices are reasonable (and going down).

- The government is not actively hostile to FDI, and if it were, it has other priorities and limited power.

- Standard of living for ex-pats is high and it's comparatively safe

- The schools are good

- Transport is pretty good for a major Asian city

- Good standard of local education and work ethic ..... 'Made in Thailand' generally means well made with care.

The political situation has not yet damaged these factors .... and the shares price and exchange rates seem to back up my view?

Of course tourism will have a temporary hit, but if any of the above factors change then I'll be more worried.

Could it be that external, global,economic and environmental factors are more important that red v yellow?

If Bangkok sinks and/or the world economy collapses this would have a greater impact than the PAD?

Everything else in your post was OK, but this had me goggle eyed: Good standard of local education and work ethic! I would say their lack of education (the fault of the failed Bangkok elite, not the poor people themselves) and their inherent laziness have led to many of the problems Thais are experiencing now.

What worries me about this is not the political turmoil or the economic fall-out - although both are bad enough - but it's the supreme indifference to Thailand's reputation overseas shown by ALL the protagonists (from the lowliest paid protestor in it for his meal allowance to the very highest levels - and I mean highest) in this stand-off.

I have yet to see anyone express any concern about the impact both short-term and long-term.

The world is watching what is going on and noone - government, protesters, police, army etc - seem to mind at all.

It's all very very embarassing.

So long as the factors that make Thailand attractive to local and foreign investors do not change significantly, then I'm only a tad worried.

- The location of Bangkok in relation to the rest of SE Asia, China and India is unlikely to change.

- I guess the nice new airport will reopen one day (the 4th Dec is my bet)

- Property and office prices are reasonable (and going down).

- The government is not actively hostile to FDI, and if it were, it has other priorities and limited power.

- Standard of living for ex-pats is high and it's comparatively safe

- The schools are good

- Transport is pretty good for a major Asian city

- Good standard of local education and work ethic ..... 'Made in Thailand' generally means well made with care.

The political situation has not yet damaged these factors .... and the shares price and exchange rates seem to back up my view?

Of course tourism will have a temporary hit, but if any of the above factors change then I'll be more worried.

Could it be that external, global,economic and environmental factors are more important that red v yellow?

If Bangkok sinks and/or the world economy collapses this would have a greater impact than the PAD?

Everything else in your post was OK, but this had me goggle eyed: Good standard of local education and work ethic! I would say their lack of education (the fault of the failed Bangkok elite, not the poor people themselves) and their inherent laziness have led to many of the problems Thais are experiencing now.

Yes .... good point .... and I agree that education in rural areas and for the poor is a big problem, but my own experience of working for an international company in the past and now setting up a new operation here is that the work ethic is impressive and the standard of education for professional people is high .... compared to many other Asian and some European countries. But yes, many groups miss out on a good education, although that is not a unique Thai problem. My personal experience is that, in general, people want to do a good job and take pride in their work. I don't think that car, motorcycle and clothing manufacturers would have set up production bases here if the basic work ethic was lacking?

I am not really worried about the political situation here, it is a total mess and it will always be.

What worries me more is the 1.000.000 of unemployed those events risk to create. Since it seems tourism will go badly this year, a lot of thai people will be short of money and this can be a problem since I think criminality will raise and guess who will be their targets ?

yes, indeed, because of this we installed a better alarm system in the house this weekend; criminality and violence caused by unemployment and poverty will sharply rise for sure ...

A very western-centric reaction and outlook. Yes, this is what would certainly happen in the West in such a situation. No social safety net, so people turn to crime.

However, Thailand has a natural built-in social security safety net: It's called the upcountry village. All those "unemployed-out-of-money-turned-violent-criminals" you fear will really, instead, simply pull up stakes and go back to their home villages where there's plenty of room, love, and food to go around (albeit no money). This scenario typically plays itself out during normal downsides of economic cycles (e.g. 1997 monetary crisis).

You may starve in the city, but it's impossible to starve here in the country. Half the "weeds" in my yard I can eat--quite tasty, too! The other half of the plants are fruit trees which grew naturally.

I would guess most of the types you fear are the laboring classes of the lower economic levels who have gone to the cities to work. Don't worry, grandma and grandpa have a lush garden/orchard and full rice house in Buriram, waiting for them, and they know it!

Edited by toptuan

I'm not worried, as I have plenty stashed away for events specifically like this...... :D

Theres no doubt about u dingdongrb.......I miss the days of dancing with you on mangosce! You are truely one of the worlds nutters, thailand would be lost without you.....they just havent realised it yet. :o

I hope everything will be over soon, new elections soon?! Not sure over the outcome. I live here with my wife and I am not leaving or allow a bunch of nutheads to ruin our live here. Dig in and wait it out the only way I guess. tit, enough said. :o

I hope everything will be over soon, new elections soon?! Not sure over the outcome. I live here with my wife and I am not leaving or allow a bunch of nutheads to ruin our live here. Dig in and wait it out the only way I guess. tit, enough said. :o

Reckon the government will be ousted soon. I mean it's not as though coup's are foreign to Thailand.

Whole dam_n World's falling apart.

I'm more worried about being trapped in the UK. Was supposed to be landing at Suvarnabhumi last Friday. Just want to get home to Roi-Et.

Whilst BKK and a few other places may see problems over the next few years, nothing will change in Issan.

As for the impact on tourism, this was going to happen anyway since the world has no money now.

That is aweful MJP, I wouldnt wish that upon anyone....i will start building my arc immediately and then I will come and rescue you from that place......hundreds of my ancestors did it about 220 years ago and we havent looked back :o

Whole dam_n World's falling apart.

I'm more worried about being trapped in the UK. Was supposed to be landing at Suvarnabhumi last Friday. Just want to get home to Roi-Et.

Whilst BKK and a few other places may see problems over the next few years, nothing will change in Issan.

As for the impact on tourism, this was going to happen anyway since the world has no money now.

That is aweful MJP, I wouldnt wish that upon anyone....i will start building my arc immediately and then I will come and rescue you from that place......hundreds of my ancestors did it about 220 years ago and we havent looked back :o

I should have concentrated on being an evil genius. I'd have taken the Chinese Junk operated by the midget instead.

Seriously, I can't take much more here . . .

I am not a bit worried about the current situation. The unpredictability of life is my favorite part of living. I think that all countries are far closer to imploding than we would ever believe and the miracle is that somehow we all muddle through. I see no benefit in worrying about things I have no control over. Thailand is where life has put me and so I will make the best of things.

I am not a bit worried about the current situation. The unpredictability of life is my favorite part of living. I think that all countries are far closer to imploding than we would ever believe and the miracle is that somehow we all muddle through. I see no benefit in worrying about things I have no control over. Thailand is where life has put me and so I will make the best of things.

Yes, change is constant.

You know it isn't unheard of for countries in civil war to forcefully expel all foreigners. If it gets bad enough, most would want to leave anyway without the force. That is my personal concern. I don't think this is probable, but it is certainly in the realm of possibility.

Edited by Jingthing

As my Brit friends quaintly say: "SPOT ON!"

I'm with you, Garro.

Here we go boys and girls. This is for those of you with a short attention span or an urge to try and bend Thaivisa rules. This rule is ABSOLUTE:

No disrespect of the King of Thailand or The Thai Royal Family! Discussion of topics concerning the King or other current or deceased members of the Thai Royal Family is forbidden.

Yes, change is constant.

You know it isn't unheard of for countries in civil war to forcefully expel all foreigners. If it gets bad enough, most would want to leave anyway without the force. That is my personal concern. I don't think this is probable, but it is certainly in the realm of possibility.

I am equally happy in my home country as I am here. I stay in Thailand because it suits me, and I can live a life where I seem to be able to devote more time to my son. If they began expelling foreigners I would leave with my family, and my only concern would be my dog.

I will worry about all this is if it ever happens. I still feel as welcome in Thailand today as I did last week. Things change, but this is life.

Edited by garro

Yes, change is constant.

yes these things could certainly happen in extreme cases,even forcefully conviscating foreign owned property,but unlikely as thailand is pretty advanced in relation to the 1st world countries and would do too much damage in its relationship with the west,but they could clamp down on the immigration laws making it difficult for us to stay here.

I'd be so <deleted> bored living in the suburbs in the US or the UK. Give me Thailand any day, as predictable bores me to tears. But I won't be making the 'best of things' as I truly enjoy where I live now (I just worry about those who will be in tight circumstance due to this latest snafu - situation normal all fouled up).

And I do realise it's tedious/expensive/stressful to be stuck in a country unexpected... but just what do you think all those tourists will be entertaining their friends with for months? Friends who went to Blackpool instead? You got it.

(Now there's a thought... maybe Thailand could market an 'alternative' vacation plan?)

I voted that I was a little bit worried. Not for myself or my adopted family, here in Chiang Mai, for we are safe.

I do not wish to minimize the damages that these problems are causing for many farang and Thais. However, we are over-reacting, I think, IMHO. Tourism will be affected, but I doubt a million permanent jobs will disappear. Hundreds of tourists have not died, as in Bali or Mumbai. This does give Thailand a bad name for tourism, but even travel agents have short memories. It was already predicted that almost a million factory workers would lose their jobs, more or less permanently, due to the worldwide economic slowdown.

One reason that most Thais are minimizing this airport and GH takepver is that they cannot personally resolve it. They are aware, but not panicing. Neither should we panic. They poured the foundation for our new house yesterday. I intend to live here for another 40 years. Well, 30 more...

PB: as far as this year's tourism high season, of course it is ruined. I don't know what percentage of tourism related business can withstand one bad high season, a lot can't for certain.

As far as future years, if (a big if) some political stability can be restored, I do feel there is still a strong worldwide demand for Thailand. Certainly from India, China, Russia, Scandanavia, the UK, and assorted sex tourists. Deep promotion offers and a much weaker baht might help turn things around in a few years (optimistic scenario anyway). I think tourism demand from America will be way down for a long time. It is a very long trip and Americans mostly are shy of problems.

Edited by Jingthing

Moderately worried,

Not worried my family or I would be hurt by the Thai people,

Though those of you walking in the wrong place at the wrong time might want to give it an extra thought to the definite, and looks to be long-term, shrinking “pockets” of the lowest of the ever-growing low. (Of any national origin.)

Not worried about my finances any more than I would be in my country of origin. When called for, some frugality and knowing the local scene, things can be less than the cost at home.

Seems to me that this would decrease the value of the baht (bad and good). Sadly, This High season is definitely out the window. I as others will feel it. If in Bangkok, Phuket- Every 1 day lost is worth 2, as you lose the non-arrivals on the back end of their return. Estimating favorably that’s 2 months of the 4.

What I am worried about is How this conflict will resolve ….That result will have a vast influence on the future of Thailand and of what the real Thailand has been perceived to be by the Thai people. Thailand without the Thai Smile, The Sabai, would be like many other places. Seems impossible.. Thai fighting Thai??? I hope to never see it. You just know that there are Mothers in there. Mothers of police, family members of Army, etc... Even though greatly inconvenienced myself it’s just that” Inconvenienced”. I can understand why they are slow to respond.…

BTW I’m one of those guys that wears the Long Live the King bracelet, not cause it makes me feel or seem Thai but because he is a deservedly great man and I hope he does. (off topic but can’t find that page)

How Worried Am I That Thailand Is Falling Apart? Moderatly… It could be falling together.

Lodes

Meaningless drivel below, the above makes just a bit more sense

True all things must Change. nature

Indigenous against Globalist. Come look quick dear you won’t believe who seems to be winning.

Everyone’s a terrorist till they become a patriot. Said by some weary patriot. (I Wonder if he had a clapper or a gun?)

Not worried in the least. Been here too long to know that when things turn to shit here I always remember where I woke up in the morning.

On a positive note, we won't have to deal with this next year as we'll all be moving to Spain in the next few months. We decided to leave LOS before this latest inconvenience (because really, that is all it is :D ) because after 9 years we're ready for change and my husband was actually in Spain buying the new family home and all this crap has just delayed his return here a little bit longer. He was due back on Saturday, but had to be in Indonesia for meetings this week so thought it better to go straight there and hope that the airports will be open by the end of week. He's hoping he can actually fly into U-Tapao because it would be more convenient as it is closer to home :o

We still love Thailand, still keeping our home here and still intend to have holidays here whenever we make the long flight to Perth from Europe.

Not worried at all, Thailand has/is and probably always will be a bit wild west. It's part of its appeal, so the airport occupation is another page in Thailands up and down history :o

Although I ticked 'happy' I'm more sympathetic to those who are on a tight schedule to get home and are stuck here and having to filter through to alternative places is a pain, especially with kids in tow.

As a perpetual expat for most months of the year I'm buzzing right now at the 'unknown' waters we've been steered into :D