Ride Bkk To Cnx On December 5th For The Chiang Mai Bike Week

BigBikeBKK

Greetings One and All!

The Chiang Mai Bike Week is almost here! This is one of the biggest motorcycle events in the Kingdom and I'll be riding up from Bangkok on Friday December 5th to attend.

KHUNDAN had started a thread a while back for bikers wanting to ride up from Bangkok, but I've not heard from him in a while so I'll start a new thread. If KHUNDAN and friends are still going there's no reason we can't merge the two groups. I think we're all an easy going bunch.

I'm for sure going up, along with my wingman Trent (NakedAir) and Jim (Italithai) who we met at the Bangsaen Bike Week.

Per KHUNDAN's thread we'll leaving from the Beverly Hotel on Ratchadapisek at 0700

BeverlyHotelRatchada.jpg

This is (was?) KHUNDAN's baby so he get's to decide the meeting point, but if I might suggest we move it across the road to the Emerald Hotel, that at least will have us pointed in the right direction to escape the Big Smoke and will save us the minor hassle of having to U-turn on Ratchadapisek.

Of course it's really no big deal one way or the other, but having suffered Bangkok morning rush hour on the Iron Butt Massacre I'd really like to avoid a repeat and get out of the city as quickly and as early as possible. Be gassed up and ready to go at 0700. We want to be well outside of the city before our first stop.

If we cruise at ~130-150km/hr we can make it to Chiang Mai in about 7 hours, including stops for food, gas, etc. (Trent and I did Thoen to Bangkok in under 6 hours with stops for Breakfast, Lunch, and Trent's lovely Ladyboy :o )

Folks who want to ride slower or take longer can make it a 2-day ride, stopping in Kamphaeng Phet or Tak or wherever you like.

I hear it's cold up north so make sure you pack appropriately. I've booked a couple of rooms in the Old City- 800THB/nite incl breakfast. I can book more rooms if needed. Never hard to find a place to stay in Chiang Mai.

Many of you already have my phone and email. I don't think I'm supposed to post it on the forum, so if you'd like to join just send your info via PM and I'll add you to the list. (Or just show up ready to ride at 0700 on the 5th :D )

Looking forward to a fun ride!

Happy Trails!

1124DoiInthanonSm.jpg

Well i had so much fun at Baan Saen i'm thinking of renting a ninja250 and coming up with ya to CM. my lovely old girl will not be ready by the 5th.

Bard are you going cos if ya going i was thinking of coming down to yours thursday nite and getting a bike from the same place as INJ. Does any one have any other rental shops that have the Ninja in for rent MAYBE BANGKOK ETC.

Thanks Allan

If you are going to rent for the trip. Make sure you check it over properly, tyres, chains, brake pads, lightts and fluids.

Also better to have one with the plates as well.

Good luck on your hunt for a bike.

Why a Ninja 250R? You can rent something else of none of the Ninjas can be found.

Failing that ask Kawasaki for a weekend test ride. LOL

travelmate the ninja because its a legal registered,newer bike so probably none of the problems mentioned.

but yes you are right about checking everything.

SO any one know of a good rental place in Pattaya OR Bangkok.

Thanks Allan

You boys are going straight up on the motorway to CM?

I maybe leaving with another group on Friday. Won't know until Thursday.

Correct, if i understand correct we are meeting at 0700 and will be powering up the motorway directly to Chiang Mai. Estimated drive time is 7hrs +/-

Don't worry Trent i have 11 days off over xmas and i want to go up to CM for about 5 days then if ya up for it. and i thought one of us should check out HH so i'm of down there this weekend.

about ya screen have you checked out the big bike shops on charoen sanitwong road (near pinklao) i think i saw what ya wanted hanging on the wall of one a couple of weeks ago, but sorry i haven't got time to go check for ya. also i think dr-bike on mocy.com do what ya want.

Allan

A quick update-

So far we have the following confirmed for the ride to Chiang Mai on Friday:

Tony and Jim in Ninja 250R's, Trent on the XJR 1300, aka the T-rex :o (1) Harley (model uinknown...), (1) CB400 SF, (1) CBR400, KhunDan on a ZZR1100 and we'll pick up his mate in Sing Buri on a BlackBird.

Meeting place is still the Siam Beverly Hotel on Ratchadapisek at 0700.

BeverlyHotelRatchada.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony :D

got my 28 packets of electrolytes packed, lets go !

my saddle bags seriously weight around 15 kilos this trip but the funny thing is when i sent my saddle bags home last trip which weighed 11 kilos it didnt make any difference around the twisties so this time im leaving nothing behind

my saddle bags seriously weight around 15 kilos this trip but the funny thing is when i sent my saddle bags home last trip which weighed 11 kilos it didnt make any difference around the twisties so this time im leaving nothing behind

Now I remember you Trent when you couldn't ride a Honda Dream for a week without falling off :o

Have a good one and hope to be "on the road" in a few months.....

Woohoo- only 2 more sleeps until we hit the road!

Travelmate on a ZX10R and his friend on an R1 will join us on their rockets and I only hope the rest of us can keep up!

I've sent you a PM Andrew with my phone number, so give me a ring if you have any questions.

Otherwise we'll see you at 0700 on Friday morning. Got the baby Ninja serviced today and am ready to go!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Now I remember you Trent when you couldn't ride a Honda Dream for a week without falling off :o

Have a good one and hope to be "on the road" in a few months.....

Good to hear from you JUDAS... lol

Yes they were my training days in Koh Tao. Havent come to far since then, but atleast i wear a shirt and pants when i ride now!

Hi All,

Yes- meeting point is confirmed at the Siam Beverly Hotel at 0700

I think we're down to 9 bikes now as we've lost Fat Bastard on the HD.

Get a good night sleep - tomorrow will be a long ride and I'm buying the first round at the Kafe in CM tomorrow night! beerchug.gif

Happy Trails,

Tony

Hello Boys and Girls! :o

A quick update from Chiang Mai.

The Iron Butt II started off much the same way as Iron Butt I :D

Left the Big Mango with 10 bikes, arrived Chiang Mai with only 6...

Great to be back in beautiful Chiang Mai. Blasted up from the Big Mango on Friday. Left the Big Smoke with 10 at ~0800, arrived CM with 6 at ~1600... icon_wink.gif

No time to get into details just now, but here's a quick pic and there will be plenty more to come!

XJR1300, R1, Ninja ZX10, Ninja 250R (2 more Ninja's missing from the pic)

120508BikesSm.jpg

The guys on the rockets are pretty beat up and are taking today off to recover.

The rest of us rode the Sa Moeng loop this am and then met up with a bunch of GT Riders at IanBungy's X Centre this afternoon.

Happy Trails!

So- here's a little more detail on what happened yesterday- tne brand new Ninja 250R will less than 1000km on the clock ended up shiny side down- low speed slide. I have no idea how it happened, but the damage was only cosmetic so rider and bike were able to continue to Chiang Mai.

One guy on an aging CBR400 made it an hour out before his front sprocket apparently fell off, or the drive bearing broke or something like that. This is the same guy who showed up at the rendezvous point nearly an hour late. I couldn't be bothered to go back and bid him farewell. :o

A Thai rider on a borrowed CB400 didn't notice that his fuel line was leaking until he ran out of gas (at which point he was soaked in gasoline and far from any gas station...)

The kind gentleman who invited the two riders above lost his phone so we didn't see him again until this morning when we happened to run into him at the Bike Week. He had picked up a friend in Sing Buri and had also gone to fetch gas for the CB400 so the three of them were able to make it to CM, albeit quite a bit later than originally planned.

80km out of CM the R1's "trunk" flew off, but it wasn't noticed that it had gone missing until some 20km later, requiring the owner to backtrack and search along the road for his missing piece. Fortunately it wasn't run over and was recovered with only minor scratches.

So- even with all of these delays and rather heavy holiday traffic and a LONG lunch break we still made it to CM in about 8 hours. I think that on a 'normal' day without any mishaps it could easily be done in 6 or 7 hours.

Tomorrow Trent and I are joining some GT Riders to go up to Mae Sai and on to Chiang Khong on the Lao Border. Never been there and am told the roads and scenery are stunning, so quite looking forward to it!

Will post again as time permits :D

Happy Trails!

Well i had so much fun at Baan Saen i'm thinking of renting a ninja250 and coming up with ya to CM. my lovely old girl will not be ready by the 5th.

Bard are you going cos if ya going i was thinking of coming down to yours thursday nite and getting a bike from the same place as INJ. Does any one have any other rental shops that have the Ninja in for rent MAYBE BANGKOK ETC.

Thanks Allan

Hi Allan,

Sorry for late response, I am back in the Dark Continent mate so I am unable which is really to bad, when are you back at work after New Year?

Tony, Trent (the T's) sounds like you guys have a load of fun, real crap I couldn't join it's not fair at all :o Well drink irresponsibly and enjoy with the GT-R's up there I bet they have some fantastic places to ride to show you guys.

Cheers Bard