Klm,china,jet Airways

ged

Hey Guys , has anyone got any up to date info on any of these airlines , I am interested in hearing about the In flight entertainment (can't sleep on the plane ) and legroom, but any info would be appreciated.

Cheers Ged.

I was in the UK in July and wanted to return on the other half of my Etihad ticket (originating in Bangkok) but could not get the dates (cheap ticket) and all flights were around the £900/1000 return. I spotted Jet on offer for about £520 or so and thought I'd risk it.

The flight out from LHR was an awkward time, being 8am or something but and they were quite strict on baggage weights (I was way over) but managed to drag 3 pieces (suit holders) of carry on luggage to avoid ridiculous excess baggage charges of something like £26 a kilo !

The plane was a Boeing 777 wide body with 3+3+3 and appeared quite new from the way it was kitted out. Seat back entertainment was good although not quite in the Etihad class. I had enough choice and all on demand as is the case these days unless flying Thai !

Food was the real highlight. My previous best economy food on the LHR-BKK route ever was Etihad but this topped that. Perhaps because I like Indian food but the curry was superb and the whole meal was top class. I would happily have paid for it in a restaurant. Wine by the 1/4 bottle, spirits and beer available freely, fruit juice and water giong round all through the flight with snacks as well. A truly excellent experience.

Now the downside. Mumbai airport is awful. You get off your plane on the tarmac, walk through literally kilometres of tunnels, get told to wait, then through more tunnels before you get to security. They go through your stuff and are very strict. There is no assistance from the airline. Eventually you find your way to the gate but then when boarding, you're off down yet more tunnels until you get to a bus. Let me just say though that I found this a terrible experience but that was because I had too much hand luggage which was very heavy and there are no trolleys.

Onto the 2nd plane which was Boeing 737-800 in 2+2 configuration. Nowhere near as good an experience. The in fight screen was tiny and choice very limited but the flight is relatively short at just over 4 hours. I was glad I had a book to read. Food passable and drinks available. Not too bad.

Overall impression was very favourable. The LHR-BOM route is right up there with the best. Load factors on my flights were very light on the LHR-BOM leg but 100% on the BOM-BKK leg. Jet have now linked up with Etihad so you can get points for using them on your Etihad account.

When I go back and use the other half of my Jet ticket I will not be looking forward to the first leg but I will be eagerly anticipating the LHR leg. Had Etihad been near that price, say within about £100-150 more then I would have chosen them but at £500 or so (at the time, can be had for £400 or so now) then Jet represents a truly viable alternative for the LHR_BKK route albeit with a chaotic airport and slightly let down with the second plane.

Hey Guys , has anyone got any up to date info on any of these airlines , I am interested in hearing about the In flight entertainment (can't sleep on the plane ) and legroom, but any info would be appreciated.

Cheers Ged.

Hi Ged

China Airlines have everything you are looking for other than inflight entertainment. Service, food, punctuality, legroom, all in my opinion are excellent, it's my preferred carrier from Manchester UK. Unfortunately entertainment is occasional overhead monitor.

KL are still flying old 747's on the AMS-BKK route so the there's no choice on in-flight entertainment and it's all on the old CRT overhead monitors or the projection on the cabin divider wall. Legroom is optimal; better than some but not the worst either.

My trick to getting some sleep on a long haul flight like this is:

a. Stay awake as long as possible before the flight so you are dog tired.

b. Don't drink excess alcohol before or during the flight.

c. Get a window seat (but make sure you take a piss before the push back from the gate).

I usually stay awake by doing my packing when I should be sleeping. That way I am usually nodding off while they taxi out (I can't recall the last actual takeoff I was awake for). The window seat bit means you won't have to get up to allow small-bladdered fellow passengers to take a leak (aren't women the worst for this?) every hour or so.

If you must have entertainment, consider buying one of them portable players and watching what you want, when you want.